PDA

View Full Version : Dallas Morning News: Dirk for Kobe

ducks
05-29-2007, 10:47 AM
Dallas Morning News: Dirk for Kobe

Dump Dirk? For Kobe, Mavs should

10:02 PM CDT on Monday, May 28, 2007

It doesn't matter whether Mark Cuban or Donnie Nelson makes the phone call, but one of them needs to contact Lakers GM Mitch Kupchak today and find out what it takes to get Kobe Bryant.

If the answer is Dirk Nowitzki, then so be it.

Straight up. No frills. A simple blockbuster.

One first-team All-NBA star in his prime for another.

Bryant has been dropping subtle hints for a week that he wants out of Los Angeles. Superstars have been dealt before.

Wilt Chamberlain was traded. So was Oscar Robertson. And Kareem Abdul-Jabbar. Don't forget to add Shaquille O'Neal to the list.

So don't act like it's blasphemous to consider trading Nowitzki, the league's MVP. Or have you forgotten Philadelphia dealt former MVP Allen Iverson this season.
If you think it's laughable to move Dirk Nowitzki (foreground) for Kobe Bryant, think again.
VERNON BRYANT / DMN
If you think it's laughable to move Dirk Nowitzki (foreground) for Kobe Bryant, think again.

No one said it would be an easy decision. Or a popular decision. Or that Cuban even has the courage to trade his favorite player.

But it must be considered.

This is not a knee-jerk reaction to Nowitzki's performance in the Mavericks' shocking first-round playoff loss. This is about positioning the Mavericks to win a championship by acquiring a player who embraces pressure and plays best in big games.

Besides, I've already made the trade on a Web site that analyzes the feasibility of trades to make sure there wasn't any problem with the salaries.

There isn't.

Kobe is scheduled to earn a little more than $17 million this season, while Nowitzki is supposed to get about $15 million. According to this Web site, the deal is fine. Just to make sure, I proposed a deal of DeSagana Diop, Greg Buckner and Jason Terry for Bryant and the computer GM promptly rejected it.

Over the holiday weekend, an ESPN report quoted Bryant as saying he would consider waiving his no-trade clause unless the Lakers re-hired Jerry West and gave him full control of the organization.

As you would expect, he's denying the story.

Too late.

Bryant is mad at the only franchise he's ever played for because they haven't gotten him enough help to make the Lakers a legitimate contender.

And nothing is going to change this off-season because Lamar Odom's shoulder injury means he has little trade value. Neither does Kwame Brown, the only other player on the roster worth more than a Wal-Mart gift card, though his contract expires at the end of next season.

It's Bryant's fault he's in this predicament because he's the one who chased off O'Neal, so he could be the focal point of the team. Now that it's not working out, he wants to wear a new uniform next season if he doesn't get what he wants.

We all know Cuban has a soft spot for Nowitzki because of the 7-footer's work ethic, talent and ability to lead the Mavericks from the abyss of the '90s. Nowitzki is the most decorated player in franchise history, with a low-maintenance personality to match.

Those are just some of the reasons Cuban was so emotional at the news conference to announce that Nowitzki had been named MVP. But he also loves the Mavericks and he'll be doing his club a disservice if he doesn't explore every avenue to make it a better basketball team.

You can't convince me adding Bryant doesn't improve the Mavericks. I'll worry about who's playing power forward later.

It's not that Nowitzki isn't a great player. Winning the MVP proves that just in case you weren't impressed that he averaged 24.6 points and 8.9 rebounds for a team that won 67 games.

But we all know he doesn't always embrace the moment and deliver in the Mavericks' most important games. We all know he has a reputation for being soft, perhaps because he didn't learn the game on inner-city black tops, where you call your own fouls, or spend a summer playing at Rucker Park in New York.

He's had huge games in the playoffs before – 37 in Game 7 against San Antonio in 2006 comes to mind as does a 50-point performance against Phoenix – but pro sports is a what-have-you-done-for-me-lately business.

Miami's Dwyane Wade outplayed him in the final four games of the 2006 NBA Finals as the Heat rallied from a 2-0 deficit to win the championship. And Nowitzki was tentative and ineffective against Golden State as Dallas became the first No.1 seed to lose a best-of-7 series against a No.8 seed.

Bryant has never won an MVP trophy, but he understands how to impose his will on a game. He demands the ball in clutch situations and consistently attacks the bucket.

He is the NBA's best player.

Others like Nowitzki and Wade are part of the discussion, but we all know Bryant is the NBA's most feared player.

He wouldn't go 2-for-13, score eight points and passively hang around the perimeter in the most important game of the season. Bryant's confidence never wanes.

Nowitzki, the best European player ever, will be inducted into the Hall of Fame one day. But he lacks the arrogance to lead the Mavericks to a championship.

Bryant does not.

2centsworth
05-29-2007, 10:49 AM
Dallas would also need to depart with Devin Harris to make that happen. Kobe is a lot better than Dirk, especially in clutch situations.

Chr!s Childs
05-29-2007, 10:51 AM
Great!

A choker for a chucker!

ATRAIN
05-29-2007, 10:56 AM
There is no way that deal would happen.

bdictjames
05-29-2007, 10:57 AM
Do the trade!!!

Oh, Gee!!
05-29-2007, 10:59 AM
Manu for Kobe would be better

Holmes_Fans
05-29-2007, 11:04 AM
Dallas gets - Kobe Bryant, 1st round pick

Lakers get - Dampier, Terry, and Ager

real gm trade scenario - 3846474

monosylab1k
05-29-2007, 11:04 AM
What a stupid trade offer. The Lakers have no reason whatsoever to make a trade like this. How did this make a nationally respected newspaper? This is something that idiots on message boards are supposed to propose, not "respected" journalists.

That being said, if the Lakers are stupid enough to do it, I'd go for this in a heartbeat.

monosylab1k
05-29-2007, 11:05 AM
Dallas gets - Kobe Bryant, 1st round pick

Lakers get - Dampier, Terry, and Ager

real gm trade scenario - 3846474

Let's trade Devean George for Lebron while we're at it.

DarkReign
05-29-2007, 11:06 AM
Manu for Kobe would be better

At least someone gets the joke.

ATRAIN
05-29-2007, 11:07 AM
Let's trade Devean George for Lebron while we're at it.
'

hahahah

Supergirl
05-29-2007, 11:39 AM
L.A. would be smoking crack if they made that trade.

Dirk is good, but if they talent on the Mavericks wasn't enough to win with, then the talent on the Lakers sure isn't. It would be a great trade for Dallas, but it would be a disaster for the Lakers. They already lack talent and depth, why would they trade their best player, offensively and defensively?

Besides, I'm not sure Dirk would be a good fit under Jackson and the triangle offense. Although, if anyone could bring out some fire in Dirk, it might be Phil.

LakeShow
05-29-2007, 12:04 PM
No way in hell this trade happens.

BUMP
05-29-2007, 12:12 PM
Lakers are not stupid enough to make that trade

Medvedenko
05-29-2007, 12:33 PM
It's funny, but before the playoffs all Dallas fans would cry and cry saying there's no way we'd trade Kobe for Dirk....Dirk's better, blah,blah,blah.....

SRJ
05-29-2007, 02:31 PM
This piece of "sportswriting" has Dallas quality all over it. Let's review:

It doesn't matter whether Mark Cuban or Donnie Nelson makes the phone call, but one of them needs to contact Lakers GM Mitch Kupchak today and find out what it takes to get Kobe Bryant.

If the answer is Dirk Nowitzki, then so be it.

When he wrote this part, Vernon Bryant smiled while doing that dramatic movie music thing, "DUH DUH DUUUUUUUUUUUH!!"

Straight up. No frills. A simple blockbuster.

Great, Vernon. Now let's get to the piece.

One first-team All-NBA star in his prime for another.

Yes, Vernon, we get it.

Bryant has been dropping subtle hints for a week that he wants out of Los Angeles. Superstars have been dealt before.

Wilt Chamberlain was traded. So was Oscar Robertson. And Kareem Abdul-Jabbar. Don't forget to add Shaquille O'Neal to the list.

So don't act like it's blasphemous to consider trading Nowitzki, the league's MVP. Or have you forgotten Philadelphia dealt former MVP Allen Iverson this season.

Vernon, you're a professional writer - and I use the term loosely - how does someone in your business forget to use a question mark at the end of a question?

Watch:

Or have you forgotten Philadelphia dealt former MVP Allen Iverson this season?

Ah, much better. Going forward now:

If you think it's laughable to move Dirk Nowitzki for Kobe Bryant, think again.

Who ever thought it was laughable?

No one said it would be an easy decision. Or a popular decision. Or that Cuban even has the courage to trade his favorite player.

But it must be considered.

First, Vernon says to do the deal. Then he says to "consider" the deal. What's next, a retraction?

This is not a knee-jerk reaction to Nowitzki's performance in the Mavericks' shocking first-round playoff loss. This is about positioning the Mavericks to win a championship by acquiring a player who embraces pressure and plays best in big games.

Some Dallas writer still thinks it's 2001.

Besides, I've already made the trade on a Web site that analyzes the feasibility of trades to make sure there wasn't any problem with the salaries.

There isn't.

Honestly, my whole problem with this trade hinged upon whether or not Vernon Bryant could go to RealGM.com and work the trade. Thankfully, my fears have been assuaged.

Kobe is scheduled to earn a little more than $17 million this season, while Nowitzki is supposed to get about $15 million. According to this Web site, the deal is fine. Just to make sure, I proposed a deal of DeSagana Diop, Greg Buckner and Jason Terry for Bryant and the computer GM promptly rejected it.

He tested it twice!!! This guy goes the extra mile for his readers!

Over the holiday weekend, an ESPN report quoted Bryant as saying he would consider waiving his no-trade clause unless the Lakers re-hired Jerry West and gave him full control of the organization.

As you would expect, he's denying the story.

Too late.

"Too late"? Too late what? Sentence fragments only work occasionally, Vernon. Most of the time, you'll want complete sentences to convey your thoughts.

Bryant is mad at the only franchise he's ever played for because they haven't gotten him enough help to make the Lakers a legitimate contender.

And nothing is going to change this off-season because Lamar Odom's shoulder injury means he has little trade value. Neither does Kwame Brown, the only other player on the roster worth more than a Wal-Mart gift card, though his contract expires at the end of next season.

This section was the high point of the piece, though the "Bryant is mad" phrase comes off badly. Nice touch with the "Wal-Mart gift card", Vern. We're all ROFL!

It's Bryant's fault he's in this predicament because he's the one who chased off O'Neal, so he could be the focal point of the team. Now that it's not working out, he wants to wear a new uniform next season if he doesn't get what he wants.

Read the bolded part out loud. Yes, it sounds utterly stupid.

We all know Cuban has a soft spot for Nowitzki because of the 7-footer's work ethic, talent and ability to lead the Mavericks from the abyss of the '90s. Nowitzki is the most decorated player in franchise history, with a low-maintenance personality to match.

Those are just some of the reasons Cuban was so emotional at the news conference to announce that Nowitzki had been named MVP. But he also loves the Mavericks and he'll be doing his club a disservice if he doesn't explore every avenue to make it a better basketball team.

You can't convince me adding Bryant doesn't improve the Mavericks. I'll worry about who's playing power forward later.

Sportwriter thickness on display yet again. Adding Bryant definitely improves the Mavericks. Trading Nowitzki for Bryant doesn't necessarily improve that team.

BTW, do you know who the Mavericks biggest rival is? And do you know what position their MVP plays?

It's not that Nowitzki isn't a great player. Winning the MVP proves that just in case you weren't impressed that he averaged 24.6 points and 8.9 rebounds for a team that won 67 games.

But we all know he doesn't always embrace the moment and deliver in the Mavericks' most important games. We all know he has a reputation for being soft, perhaps because he didn't learn the game on inner-city black tops, where you call your own fouls, or spend a summer playing at Rucker Park in New York.

He's had huge games in the playoffs before – 37 in Game 7 against San Antonio in 2006 comes to mind as does a 50-point performance against Phoenix – but pro sports is a what-have-you-done-for-me-lately business.

I don't know how he did that without having played at Rucker Park.

Miami's Dwyane Wade outplayed him in the final four games of the 2006 NBA Finals as the Heat rallied from a 2-0 deficit to win the championship. And Nowitzki was tentative and ineffective against Golden State as Dallas became the first No.1 seed to lose a best-of-7 series against a No.8 seed.

Bryant has never won an MVP trophy, but he understands how to impose his will on a game. He demands the ball in clutch situations and consistently attacks the bucket.

Let's take that game seven in 2006 against the Phoenix Suns and sweep it under the rug. After all, it will only hurt our case.

He is the NBA's best player.

I'll agree with "least guardable".

Others like Nowitzki and Wade are part of the discussion, but we all know Bryant is the NBA's most feared player.

He wouldn't go 2-for-13, score eight points and passively hang around the perimeter in the most important game of the season. Bryant's confidence never wanes.

Game seven, second half, two shots. Game seven, second half, two shots.

Nowitzki, the best European player ever, will be inducted into the Hall of Fame one day. But he lacks the arrogance to lead the Mavericks to a championship.

Bryant does not.

I'm substantially dumber for having read that.

monosylab1k
05-29-2007, 02:35 PM
Not sure who Vernon Bryant is, but Jean-Jacques Taylor wrote that article.

SRJ
05-29-2007, 02:56 PM
VERNON BRYANT / DMN

I had to guess at the name, mono. There was no link and I found this floating in the middle of the original post. I could have gone to the Dallas Morning News site and tracked it all down, but I didn't want to do more research than the author of this piece did.

I'm going to keep it as Vernon Bryant. I like to imagine that Vernon is some distant relative of Kobe's and he wants Kobe to be in the same city so he can cash in on KBB's fame.

Besides, that article was so bad, the author is embarrassing his family by putting his name on it. Therefore, Vernon Bryant it is.

monosylab1k
05-29-2007, 02:59 PM
oh okay i see where u got Vernon Bryant from. I think he was the photographer that took the picture on the DMN site. either way, he probably could have written a more intelligent and informed article than JJT did. I usually like Jean-Jacques but this is absolute garbage from him.

ChumpDumper
05-29-2007, 03:06 PM
Gotta write something while the team is fishing. It would be difficult to write a 500 word column about your #60 pick.

SRJ
05-29-2007, 03:11 PM
You're right, Chump, and I don't even think the author's conclusions are necessarily wrong. But his arguments weren't persuasive at all.

mavsfan1000
05-29-2007, 03:14 PM
DMN=POS Newspaper. Fuck them.

MrChug
05-29-2007, 03:20 PM
I think Beno would be a better value for Los Angeles.

Fillmoe
05-29-2007, 03:20 PM
theres 2 things you can count on when talking about the nba.....

1. dirk will never win a championship

2. kobe bryant will never ever get traded

ChumpDumper
05-29-2007, 03:23 PM
Eh, if Buss retires and his son gets tired of Kobe, I can see it happening. After all, that's who Kobe is really taking a shot at here.

mardigan
05-29-2007, 03:33 PM
I think Beno would be a better value for Los Angeles.
Whats funny is that he actually would be a good fit for LA

MadDog73
05-29-2007, 03:41 PM
Never say never....

dallaskd
05-29-2007, 04:48 PM
do it.

Findog
05-29-2007, 05:14 PM
Lousy logic. Lousy writing.

This trade wouldn't solve either team's problems. Put Dirk on the Lakers and they're still a lower seed/bubble team. And the Mavs are still a playoff team but they're no closer to a title.

I don't think Cuban is too emotional or loyal to avoid making tough personnel decisions he believes to be in the team's best interest, nor do I think that you can ignore this team's and Dirk's entire body of work. He's not yet on the downward slope of his career, this team is still relatively young and in two years their cap situation will be a whole lot better.

The last two playoff series have been extremely disappointing, and this team has to get better. There's still some growing up to do. But this is not the right direction to take.

Lp26
05-29-2007, 06:48 PM
I disagree. I think if you put Kobe on the Mavs, they're a far better team than w/ Dirk. I would even venture to say to say definite title contenders based on who they get to play PF.

Cant_Be_Faded
05-29-2007, 08:00 PM
It's worth consideration.

Let us not forget Kobe's elimination in 2005, or was it 2006, when he took absolutely NO shots in the fourth quarter, and seemed to be making his team lose?

Kobe's clutch rating puts Dirks in the negative range, but Kobe's heart makes Dirk's look like David Robinson's. So i dont know, may not work out for either team.

Cry Havoc
05-29-2007, 09:40 PM
This piece of "sportswriting" has Dallas quality all over it. Let's review:

When he wrote this part, Vernon Bryant smiled while doing that dramatic movie music thing, "DUH DUH DUUUUUUUUUUUH!!"

Great, Vernon. Now let's get to the piece.

Yes, Vernon, we get it.

Vernon, you're a professional writer - and I use the term loosely - how does someone in your business forget to use a question mark at the end of a question?

Watch:

Ah, much better. Going forward now:

Who ever thought it was laughable?

First, Vernon says to do the deal. Then he says to "consider" the deal. What's next, a retraction?

Some Dallas writer still thinks it's 2001.

Honestly, my whole problem with this trade hinged upon whether or not Vernon Bryant could go to RealGM.com and work the trade. Thankfully, my fears have been assuaged.

He tested it twice!!! This guy goes the extra mile for his readers!

"Too late"? Too late what? Sentence fragments only work occasionally, Vernon. Most of the time, you'll want complete sentences to convey your thoughts.

This section was the high point of the piece, though the "Bryant is mad" phrase comes off badly. Nice touch with the "Wal-Mart gift card", Vern. We're all ROFL!

Read the bolded part out loud. Yes, it sounds utterly stupid.

Sportwriter thickness on display yet again. Adding Bryant definitely improves the Mavericks. Trading Nowitzki for Bryant doesn't necessarily improve that team.

BTW, do you know who the Mavericks biggest rival is? And do you know what position their MVP plays?

I don't know how he did that without having played at Rucker Park.

Let's take that game seven in 2006 against the Phoenix Suns and sweep it under the rug. After all, it will only hurt our case.

I'll agree with "least guardable".

Game seven, second half, two shots. Game seven, second half, two shots.

I'm substantially dumber for having read that.

Dude, you torched him. :lmao

You're rapidly becoming one of my favorite posters on these boards.

SRJ
05-30-2007, 02:36 AM
Thank you, Cry Havoc. You're on my short list as well, and your name is cooler than mine.

BeerIsGood!
05-30-2007, 02:41 AM
Only the Orlando Magic are stupid enough to trade their franchise player who has finals experience for trash.

MaNuMaNiAc
05-30-2007, 07:44 AM

no, you're right, he wouldn't. Instead, the man would probably go 12-47 trying to jackup the boxscore all the while shooting his team into oblivion... that he would do.

LEONARD
05-30-2007, 08:32 AM
Won't happen...and I'd never watch a Mavs game if the rapist was the star of the team...

Kobe's never won anything without a dominant big man anyway...

Islymore
05-30-2007, 08:53 AM
Won't happen...and I'd never watch a Mavs game if the rapist was the star of the team...

You got that right. I hate Kobe. Well not necessarily hate him, but i cant stand the guy. Even before the rape incident... something about him, I've disliked him since he came to the league.

But - Kobe for Dirk?? Never. Why would the Mavs want to do it?? Kobe is a great player, but he needs a team to win too, preferably someone with low-post scoring skills which the Mavs lack - so bringin Kobe would do what? Give us someone who likes to ballhog???