PDA

View Full Version : What's in your Soft Drink?

Nbadan
05-29-2007, 12:40 PM
Research shows that E211 - found in drinks such as Fanta and Pepsi Max - can switch off vital parts of DNA, causing serious damage to cells.

Laboratory tests suggest this could even result in degenerative diseases such as Parkinson's and cirrhosis of the liver.

The research into E211 - or sodium benzoate - was carried out by Peter Piper, a molecular biology expert at Sheffield University.

"These chemicals have the ability to cause severe damage to DNA in the mitochondria to the point that they totally inactivate it, they knock it out altogether," he told a Sunday newspaper.

Daily Mail (http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/live/articles/health/healthmain.html?in_article_id=458011&in_page_id=1774&ICO=HEALTH&ICL=TOPART)

Here is some more info on this:

The presence of benzene at levels above what would be allowed in a community drinking water supply is unacceptable from both the public health and the political perspective, as Coca Cola realizes. The amounts of benzene varies and is apparently related to the storage conditions and formulation of a particular bottle, but the levels are often two to three or more times the drinking water standard. Benzene is a known human carcinogen, and while the levels are in the part per billion range, there are good public health reasons that the EPA's recommended level in drinking water is zero (see our posts on this topic here, here and here).

Three of the remaining defendants make drinks marketed directly to children -- Sunny Delight, Shasta and Rockstar Energy Drinks. We love to wring our hands about imported pet food adulterated with melamine from China, but food safety is also a problem for American and European companies.

Science Blogs (http://scienceblogs.com/effectmeasure/2007/05/benzene_in_soda_progress_but_s.php)

boutons_
05-29-2007, 12:45 PM
Remember, it was benzene discovered in Perrier a few years ago, due to a maintenance error, that sunk Perrier and drove it into the hands of Nestle.

Soft drinks, energy drinks, are pure junk, even poison.

Vitamin water? Are people really so stupid as to fall for that shit?

George Gervin's Afro
05-29-2007, 12:47 PM
[QUOTE=boutons_]Remember, it was benzene discovered in Perrier a few years ago, due to a maintenance error, that sunk Perrier and drove it into the hands of Nestle.

Soft drinks, energy drinks, are pure junk, even poison.

Vitamin water? Are people really so stupid as to fall for that shit?[/QUOTE

don't answer yoni, snake....

Wild Cobra
05-29-2007, 08:54 PM
And here I though this thread would be about High Fructose Corn Syrup. There is a growing consensus that this stuff is being consumed in such high quantities to be a major cause of obesity and diabetes. It is cheaper than regular sugar, but more harmful!

As for the other chemicals, I think we can expect most food additives to have problems we didn't note yet. I don't go out of my way to eat healthy, but I seldom drink anything with added corn syrup, I buy real juice, and those not from concentrate. I buy real maple syrup for my pancakes. I generally by food with little or no chemical additives.

I guess drinking soda is better than drinking the political Kool-Aid...