05-29-2007, 01:55 PM
http://www.nba.com/media/act_grant_hill.jpg

Grant Hill | SF
Born: Oct 5, 1972
Height: 6-8 / 2,03
Weight: 225 lbs. / 102,1 kg.
College : Duke
Years Pro: 11

Info (http://www.nba.com/playerfile/grant_hill/index.html)

Definitely an intriguing free agent. Possesses many of the tools which would fit in well in the Spurs' perimeter rotation, save for the 3 point shot. Has yet to win a NBA title, so that may hold some pull with him. Durability is a major question mark, as he has probably missed 60% of the games over the last 6 seasons due to injury. But he played 65 games last season and did rather well. Worth considering should the Spurs have a spot in the perimeter rotation and are unable to bring in a younger talent (like a Pietrus or Nocioni).

mardigan
05-29-2007, 01:56 PM
He is a good rebounder from the position, but age and injurys are just to big of a concern I think. I would rather have Posey

Marcus Bryant
05-29-2007, 01:56 PM
[/1996]

:smokin

It would also be nice to see Hill leave Orlando and pick up a ring in SA with TD.

td4mvp21
05-29-2007, 01:57 PM
We shouldn't sign an old, injury prone player past his prime. We need young, healthy, very athletic and good defending players right now.

Oh, Gee!!
05-29-2007, 01:58 PM

It would also be nice to see Hill leave Orlando and pick up a ring in SA with TD.

not really

CosmicCowboy
05-29-2007, 02:14 PM
Tamia has already told Grant once that he can't live in San Antonio.

gtownspur
05-29-2007, 02:18 PM
http://www.nba.com/media/act_grant_hill.jpg

Grant Hill | SF
Born: Oct 5, 1972
Height: 6-8 / 2,03
Weight: 225 lbs. / 102,1 kg.
College : Duke
Years Pro: 11

Info (http://www.nba.com/playerfile/grant_hill/index.html)

Definitely an intriguing free agent. Possesses many of the tools which would fit in well in the Spurs' perimeter rotation, save for the 3 point shot. Has yet to win a NBA title, so that may hold some pull with him. Durability is a major question mark, as he has probably missed 60% of the games over the last 6 seasons due to injury. But he played 65 games last season and did rather well. Worth considering should the Spurs have a spot in the perimeter rotation and are unable to bring in a younger talent (like a Pietrus or Nocioni).

Put him on the Oberto Horry plan.

ATRAIN
05-29-2007, 02:19 PM
If he is cheap......maybe

Summers
05-29-2007, 02:21 PM
We shouldn't sign an old, injury prone player past his prime. We need young, healthy, very athletic and good defending players right now.

When can we sign Mahinmi?

GrandeDavid
No way, Marcus. I love the guy's character and all, but he's too past his prime now. I'd rather see an injection of youth on the perimeter, someone whom Bruce Bowen can tutor.

BeerIsGood!
If he is willing to take a role position on a championship caliber team for a small salary, then yes. Otherwise, no.

Mr. Body
If we weren't all full of old and decrepit, I'd say yes in a heartbeat.

BeerIsGood!
05-29-2007, 02:22 PM
When can we sign Mahinmi?

When he's ready to play in the NBA, if he is ever ready to play in the NBA.

ducks
05-29-2007, 02:22 PM
plan d

Marcus Bryant
05-29-2007, 02:23 PM
Finley can opt out this summer. Barry could be on the block with his expiring contract. The Spurs might not be so fortunate as to land a Pietrus or Posey in free agency. Hill as the team's 10th man might not be a bad thing depending on how this summer plays out.

ducks
05-29-2007, 02:24 PM
that is why I said plan d!

ChumpDumper
05-29-2007, 02:24 PM
If two old farts leave the team, we can get another one.

BeerIsGood!
05-29-2007, 02:26 PM
I doubt Finley opts out. He's still getting millions on top of millions from Cuban, and if he wins a title this year he'll likely want to come back for a chance at 2.

Marcus Bryant
05-29-2007, 02:29 PM
The Spurs might also find themselves in the position of having to pay to retain Oberto should he opt out. That would cut into the MLE. Then the Spurs would be somewhat limited in their ability to use the MLE on a younger swingman.

DarrinS
05-29-2007, 02:30 PM
fragile

ChumpDumper
05-29-2007, 02:31 PM
The Spurs might also find themselves in the position of having to pay to retain Oberto should he opt out. That would cut into the MLE. Then the Spurs would be somewhat limited in their ability to use the MLE on a younger swingman.The Spurs would have early Bird rights on Oberto, so they wouldn't have to use any MLE money on him.

SenorSpur
05-29-2007, 03:14 PM
He is a good reboiunder from the position, but age and injurys are just to big of a concern I think. I would rather have Posey

True dat!

AFBlue
05-29-2007, 03:14 PM
The Spurs might also find themselves in the position of having to pay to retain Oberto should he opt out. That would cut into the MLE. Then the Spurs would be somewhat limited in their ability to use the MLE on a younger swingman.

What Chump said, plus Oberto will tell you himself that Scola is a much better player. I understand that Oberto has been extremely effective in this series and he's a smart player, but Scola is a "hustle" guy too....he just has a better offensive game to go with it.

If Oberto leaves it would suck, but the Spurs could backfill with Scola no prob.

AFBlue
05-29-2007, 03:17 PM
On Hill, he'd be an option because he can play three positions on the floor (2, 3, & 4), but he's too old and the Spurs roster is too full. If it becomes less full (Finley opt-out, Barry trade, etc.) then I guess it's a possibility, but I doubt it gets that far.

bigfan
05-29-2007, 03:18 PM
Waaaay to fragile, too old, no thanks.

whottt
05-29-2007, 03:20 PM
It'd be nice to have a freaking legit SF with his skill set...

But it's a dicey signing, due to his injury issues and age....even for the min. IF you rely on him heavily...there is a good chance you are going to lose him, so you'll have to have insurance...

And I mean, can he even play D with that ankle anymore?

The name damn sure doesn't bring the excitement it used too...

picnroll
05-29-2007, 03:24 PM
Better than Barry.

Extra Stout
05-29-2007, 03:26 PM
I thought Hill was planning to retire.

AFBlue
05-29-2007, 03:26 PM
Better than Barry.

Different than Barry.

He doesn't shoot the ball nearly as well, but can affect the game with his passing and slashing ability. Also, his versatility to play the 4 in small-ball sets would be helpful.

Again, I wouldn't say that he's better than Barry, just different. But, since the Spurs already have one veteran "shooter" in Fin, Barry going out makes sense. I'm just not sure the "Hill coming in" part does......

mikekim
05-29-2007, 04:02 PM
I would love to have hill just as the 10th man. Just because he is one of my favorite players of all time..."beyond the glory: grant hill"--a must watch, haha...

I say sign him and use him sparingly...who cares if we're old?

eisfeld
05-29-2007, 04:12 PM
If he's available for the same amount we got Finley I'd say yes. But considering that he probably wants more than 2 million a year I'd rather develop James White or pick up someone in the draft. He has his upsides but I doubt he would be a nice fit for the team. Nocioni or Gerald Wallace would be better, but those are pipe dreams, at least from my point of view. With Bowen still playing next season and James White hopefully developing well I'd rather search for a backup PG for Tony in the off-season. Vaughn is not the best but he does his job. Still an upgrade over him and Beno is necessary.

Ocotillo
05-29-2007, 04:36 PM
If two old farts leave the team, we can get another one.

I started a thread about the possibility of signing Hill and basically said please God, no more old guys. Under Chump's premise, I would take Hill on this team. The old vet who has yet to win a ring and is past his prime has long been an asset in the Gregg Popovich system. The vet presence in the locker room is invaluable to young bucks like James White or Jackie Butler plus they tend to play smart and compensate for their lost athleticism.

That being said, I agree with Chump. Get rid of two of the fossils and then you can bring in Grant Hill and his high maintenance wife.

eisfeld
05-29-2007, 04:44 PM
I started a thread about the possibility of signing Hill and basically said please God, no more old guys. Under Chump's premise, I would take Hill on this team. The old vet who has yet to win a ring and is past his prime has long been an asset in the Gregg Popovich system. The vet presence in the locker room is invaluable to young bucks like James White or Jackie Butler plus they tend to play smart and compensate for their lost athleticism.

That being said, I agree with Chump. Get rid of two of the fossils and then you can bring in Grant Hill and his high maintenance wife.

True statement, still it's questionable whether Hill would accept such a role on the team. I followed Hill's career since his second year in the NBA and I'd say he is able to take such a role and that he is willing to take little money but I still doubt that he would be a nice fit for the team considering his play style.

ATXSPUR
05-29-2007, 04:53 PM
Nawwww just too old.

temujin
05-29-2007, 05:36 PM
Hill would be a GREAT addition for the 97-98 season.

Marcus Bryant
05-29-2007, 05:44 PM
The season before Barry joined the Spurs he played in 59 games. Finley? 64. The Spurs have historically had trouble recruiting younger, somewhat established free agents to join the team, for a variety of reasons related to market size and the fact that the Spurs already have 3 established stars on the team. But they have the promise of a ring, and that at least has made them an attractive option for former stars at the end of their careers. Sure, I'd prefer a Nocioni, but a lot would have to happen for the Spurs to acquire his services. Horry looked washed up when he joined the Spurs. Ditto for Finley. Hill for the right price in a bench role wouldn't be a bad thing. It might be the best option this summer if things go as they have in offseasons past.

CosmicCowboy
05-29-2007, 05:51 PM
After the run Hill and Orlando made at Tim Duncan that would be the ultimate irony if Grant Hill comes to San Antonio for a final shot at a ring.

I'd have to say yes just so I could laugh about it.

I held my breath for two days when Tim and Amy went on their Disneyland tour.

peskypesky
05-29-2007, 05:59 PM
if he's willing to settle for a low salary and the chance to win a ring...i say we grab him.

DynastyBuilder
05-29-2007, 08:18 PM
I'd take him for vets minimum.

exstatic
05-29-2007, 08:29 PM
He is a good reboiunder from the position, but age and injurys are just to big of a concern I think. I would rather have Posey
He used to be a Marion class rebounder on a team that didn't run up and down the floor, but that is the one area that never came back after his repeated injuries/surgeries. He's between 5 and 6 boards, and can't shoot the 3. I'm not sure how he would fit as a wing on this team. I think Posey is the better option by about 5 years and 10 percentage points from downtown.

mattyc
05-29-2007, 08:32 PM

Bart: The ironing is delicious.

Cant_Be_Faded
05-29-2007, 08:35 PM
He'd be a defensive liability wouldn't he? Like Barry aged three more years...

This is the 4th or so free agent thread where Pietrus is mentioned--has his stock been inflated by one good series against a team we hate or is he really a Spurs typa guy?

Rememba that Sprite commerical with Grant Hill where the fat guy drinks Sprite and challenges Grant Hill "You're in my world now, Hill" then gets dominated?

I believe that was in 1993.

cherylsteele
05-29-2007, 09:59 PM
Can't be any worse than NVE was last year.

Hoop
05-30-2007, 11:29 AM

truth!

Marcus Bryant
05-30-2007, 11:30 AM
What happens when the young athletic talents aren't available?