PDA

View Full Version : Bill Simmons Chat (nice comment about SA)

Amuseddaysleeper
05-29-2007, 02:16 PM
josh a (miami, fl): Bill, please give me one reason why a Spurs-Pistons Finals will be worth the time it takes to turn on the TV?

SportsNation Bill Simmons: (12:59 PM ET ) I actually think a Spurs-Pistons Finals will be infinitely better than the one 2 years ago - it won't be as much of a defensive clash and I might be in the minority here, but I like watching the 2007 Spurs, I like watching any basketball team that plays exceedingly well together, and they do. They get a bad rap. Also, I can't get enough of that Pussycat Dolls song. Really, keep it coming, ABC.

though he also says this.....

rob (philly): I think the United States Basketball team has their PG for the next 2 Olympics. His name is Deron Williams.

SportsNation Bill Simmons: (1:24 PM ET ) I'm a huge fan of Williams, but let's not get carried away - he's doing this against Tony Parker (who's made many a PG look like a Hall of Famer over the years) and Bruce Bowen (who doesn't have the foot speed to stay in front of PG's anymore). Chris Paul would be ripping the Spurs up just the same.

and here are some other quotes from the chat that are Spurs related...

Nasser (Phoenix, AZ): You are starting a franchise and you get to pick between Tim Duncan at the height of his prime of Shaq at his zenith. Who you taking?

SportsNation Bill Simmons: (1:30 PM ET ) Shaq at his zenith was more dominant than Duncan at his zenith. But that's the thing about Shaq - he played two MONSTER years and a ton of good ones, but Duncan was consistently better and more dominant, and he had a greater effect on his teammates. If you were picking between them for a 12-year span, you'd have to take Duncan. You'd have to.

http://proxy.espn.go.com/chat/chatESPN?event_id=15996

GrandeDavid
05-29-2007, 02:26 PM
I like watching the 2007 Spurs as well.

BeerIsGood!
05-29-2007, 02:29 PM
Parker's defense in the 2007 playoff is once again vastly underrated by a journalist. You think it was untied shoelaces that were harassing Iverson and Nash?

cholo
05-29-2007, 02:30 PM
simmons is alright unless he starts taking about any New England homer shit

Testing
05-29-2007, 02:45 PM
Parker makes any opposing PG look HOF?? AI didn't look like one in the first round, Nash didn't, Jason Kidd didn't 3 years ago, Marbury didn't back then either...etc.

Marcus Bryant
05-29-2007, 02:46 PM
On how many possessions in this series has Parker defended Williams? 8?

Tigole Bitties
05-29-2007, 02:52 PM
Jason, Rio de Janeiro: Have I been out of English speaking countries for too long, or is Jeff Van Gundy actually being amusing- even downright funny at times during the western conference finals?

Bill Simmons: He's been great. I've thoroughly enjoyed the Breen-Jackson-JVG threesome, especially because every Mark Jackson comment when he gets excited makes him sound like Sam Jackson in "Time to Kill." YES THE JAZZ DESERVE TO DIE AND I HOPE THEY BURN IN HELL! But Van Gundy has been really good with the inside stuff, like his riff about Steve Javie being the best ref in the league last night.

whottt
05-29-2007, 02:55 PM
Yeah...it's been Bruce and I don't think it's a matchup that favors us...

I think since Tony emerged defensively a few years ago, there have been several series where he and Bruce would have been better off matched up against other players.

I mean if Bruce isn't stopping Williams...why waste him on Williams?

Going back to the finals...we finally shut Billups and Rip down when we switched Bowen on to Billups and let Parker defend Rip...maybe it wouldn't worked if we'd done it every game? Or just maybe, the series wouldn't have gone 7.

Still...I suppose Pop has his reasons and he is a master of defense...but I don't get it. If DWill is dropping 30 and 10 on us...exactly how much worse can it get?

ChumpDumper
05-29-2007, 02:58 PM
It may get worse if Parker is also in foul trouble. That's the only thing I can conclude.

whottt
05-29-2007, 03:03 PM
It may get worse if Parker is also in foul trouble. That's the only thing I can conclude.

I guess that's it...it's the only thing it could be.

whottt
05-29-2007, 03:04 PM
On second thought...it could also be that he doesn't want Parker using all his energy guarding the toughest offensive player...since Parker is much more important to the offense.

ChumpDumper
05-29-2007, 03:06 PM
Also true.

BigBeezie
05-29-2007, 03:25 PM
The media keeps shitting an eggroll over Deron Williams' game...but I'm not really impressed at this point.

I just feel like if you can't win a series, then do you get an 'E' for effort or what??? Come back when you can actually win!!

Obstructed_View
05-29-2007, 05:07 PM
The Jazz were never on TV during the season and they probably never rated an ABC game until the WCF. I think some of those guys have just never seen him before and didn't realize how good he is.

LilMissSPURfect
05-29-2007, 05:15 PM
and with all the greatness of nash and kidd and deron...still they have nothing

Aggie Hoopsfan
05-29-2007, 05:26 PM
I'm amazed at the folks saying Deron isn't doing anything. If you don't think going for 27 and 9 dimes a game is doing something, you shouldn't be posting on this forum.