PDA

View Full Version : Is Game 5 a "trap game"???

TampaDude
05-29-2007, 04:08 PM
Everyone is going on about how the Spurs basically won the WCF last night by taking a 3-1 lead in the series, but we still do have to actually win one more game. While it's looking really good for Game 5, Utah will be fighting really hard to avoid elimination. We took a game in SLC...couldn't they take one in SA???

I know the Spurs will probably win Game 5 and win it by double digits, but it ain't over 'til it's over...

Thoughts? Comments? Flames?

Marcus Bryant
05-29-2007, 04:10 PM
Sure, if the Spurs come out flat they could lose Game 5. Utah has nothing to lose and a little bit of angst over how they left the court in Game 4. I expect the Spurs to be well prepared for this game and close out the series.

Spursfan101
05-29-2007, 04:15 PM
Yes!! Almost every analyst is saying it's over...i just hope they don't jink us and we come out ready to play.

Bruno
05-29-2007, 04:18 PM
Series record for teams in Spurs case (up 3-1 with HCA) is 112-2.

Spurs still need to win one game but it looks good.

VaSpursFan
05-29-2007, 04:18 PM
we've been in this situation before so i'm sure that we will come out with the express intent of ending this series so we can lick our wounds and prepare for the finals.

eisfeld
05-29-2007, 04:23 PM
Sure, they need only one more game to win the series but it's difficult. On the one hand I expect the Jazz to fight in game 5 but on the other hand I really think that the Spurs experience matters more and Utah won't stay focused in game 5. Spurs have a tendency to believe that they are save when they have a big lead and the only thing I'm worried about is a fourth quarter breakdown. Although I might attract a couple of flames I name it: Utah has not enough experience to win the series with being down 1-3. The only team I would expect to manage such a thing are the Pistons.

Ocotillo
05-29-2007, 04:28 PM
Utah will come out like a wounded animal and play with amazing energy. Our fans won't matter a whit as they will block them out and they probably won't be that loud anyway. If the Spurs withstand that first half rush, Utah's spirit will break in the second half and the Spurs will win. If the Jazz get a double digit lead in the first half, it will be difficult for the Spurs to overcome although not impossible.

The thing with the Spurs is sometimes they come out and just flat lay an egg like in game 3 where nothing goes in on offense and they break down on defense. If that team shows up, it could get ugly.

Having said that, know that they don't want to go back to Utah anymore than they wanted to face that mob in Phoenix again. I think their motivation will be there and it will be a hard fought, tight scoring game with the Spurs prevailing.

Spurs Dynasty 21
05-29-2007, 04:29 PM
Spurs in a must win come Gm5

Drive Like Jehu
05-29-2007, 04:29 PM
Jazz fan provided the Spurs motivation to avoid a game 5 trap game in the form of flying chapstick.

TampaDude
05-29-2007, 04:30 PM
Utah will come out like a wounded animal and play with amazing energy. Our fans won't matter a whit as they will block them out and they probably won't be that loud anyway. If the Spurs withstand that first half rush, Utah's spirit will break in the second half and the Spurs will win. If the Jazz get a double digit lead in the first half, it will be difficult for the Spurs to overcome although not impossible.

The thing with the Spurs is sometimes they come out and just flat lay an egg like in game 3 where nothing goes in on offense and they break down on defense. If that team shows up, it could get ugly.

Having said that, know that they don't want to go back to Utah anymore than they wanted to face that mob in Phoenix again. I think their motivation will be there and it will be a hard fought, tight scoring game with the Spurs prevailing.

I think the key is to hold the lead in the 2nd half like they did in Game 4. If the Spurs are up by double digits in the 4th, the Jazz will probably fold.

NoMoneyDown
05-29-2007, 04:31 PM
If the Cavs win, the Spurs will lose, so they can have a shorter rest period between WCF and the Finals.
:drunk

duncan228
05-29-2007, 04:32 PM
The Spurs do let down often with a big lead but I think they want this over.

Letting the Jazz win game 5 will give them hope, confidence, especially because they haven't won on our court in forever. The Spurs know they can't do that. Teams get dangerous in close out games, they have nothing to lose.

I believe the Spurs end this tomorrow. That gives them plenty of time to heal and prepare for whoever comes out of the East. The 36 hour turn around between the Suns and the Jazz didn't hurt us in the end but I don't think they want to have that short a time before the Finals.

Rest vs. rust is always a concern, but I think this ends tomorrow. More time has to be better to prepare for the Finals. They've been beat up in these 3 series, their bodies must need time.

eisfeld
05-29-2007, 04:34 PM
I think the key is to hold the lead in the 2nd half like they did in Game 4. If the Spurs are up by double digits in the 4th, the Jazz will probably fold.

I doubt that. I expect the Jazz to play strong in the first half of Game 5 and probably build a 10 point lead. Deron Williams showed that he can take over a game and force a Jazz run like in the fourth quarter of Game two when he hit some really tough shots. The key for the Jazz is having a good game by Boozer and Kirilenko but still I expect the Spurs to close out game 5 in the second half.

Budkin
05-29-2007, 04:37 PM
Let's not pull a Game 5 WCF like in 2003. We blew an 18 or 22 pt lead that game to lose to the Mavs, and then needed Kerr and Jax to bail us out in the next game. Hopefully we will come out with the "appropriate fear."

FromWayDowntown
05-29-2007, 04:52 PM
Let's not pull a Game 5 WCF like in 2003. We blew an 18 or 22 pt lead that game to lose to the Mavs, and then needed Kerr and Jax to bail us out in the next game. Hopefully we will come out with the "appropriate fear."

That's exactly what I was thinking. The Spurs have had trouble putting opponents away on the first chance at home in past WCF (2003 and 2005). In each case, they had the game within their grasp only to let it go with poor execution down the stretch. I can't imagine that these guys really want to go back to Salt Lake City before the start of the 2007-08 season, so the incentive to get this done should be there.

TampaDude
05-29-2007, 05:38 PM
I doubt that. I expect the Jazz to play strong in the first half of Game 5 and probably build a 10 point lead. Deron Williams showed that he can take over a game and force a Jazz run like in the fourth quarter of Game two when he hit some really tough shots. The key for the Jazz is having a good game by Boozer and Kirilenko but still I expect the Spurs to close out game 5 in the second half.

I don't see the Jazz ever getting a double-digit lead in Game 5. Spurs in 5.

Obstructed_View
05-29-2007, 05:40 PM
Thanks to the Jazz fans, the Spurs have plenty of motivation to prevent the series from going back to Salt Lake City. If not for their reaction, I'd worry about a trap game.

Borosai
05-29-2007, 05:50 PM
The Spurs will come out ready to play. They didn't want to return to PHX for a game 7, and they didn't. I'm sure they don't want to return to SLC for a game 6, and they won't.

The bench will go off once again, and seal a solid home win.

ClingingMars
05-29-2007, 06:08 PM
I'm smelling a game that flows similar to Game 6 vs Phoenix. Controversy (suspensions in Phoenix, refereeing/throwing things in Utah) urges the Spurs to not return to their opponents home floor, to close it out in San Antonio. And so they will.

-Mars

bigfish22
05-29-2007, 06:13 PM
Yes!! Almost every analyst is saying it's over...i just hope they don't jink us and we come out ready to play.

I hate when analysts make predictions. Don't put too much into what these "experts" predict. I never do. I believe they're called analysts because that's what they do; they analyze past performances. Otherwise we'd call them Nastrodamusts. Just believe in your squad and don't believe the hype

bigfan
05-29-2007, 06:24 PM
Id like to see the Spurs come out of the box hot and stomp the Jazzes guts out hard for the whole game. The Spurs have had a problem sometimes closing out series and need to just forget about last night and go full tilt boogie. Our big three need to deliver and I would also like to see Barry, Horry and Elson play and perform well. We can close it out but the Jazz are going to be real tough. We know Deron and Boozer will play hard so we need to make sure nobody else on their team gets a chance. It aint over til the fat lady sings according to Dan Cook so lets get it done now.

GrandeDavid
05-29-2007, 06:28 PM
It is a dangerous game, but not as much as you'd think. The Spurs, I'm sure, would dread going back to Salt Lake City. I'm not worried about tomorrow night. They'll be ready.

Spursfan101
05-29-2007, 06:42 PM
Spurs in a must win come Gm5

Very well stated.
:tu

efrem1
05-29-2007, 08:46 PM
Nothing much I can add here except maybe that the Lakers won Game 5 at SA in 1995 and needlessly extended the series and maybe cost us against the Rockets.

TampaDude
05-29-2007, 08:51 PM
Id like to see the Spurs come out of the box hot and stomp the Jazzes guts out hard for the whole game. The Spurs have had a problem sometimes closing out series and need to just forget about last night and go full tilt boogie. Our big three need to deliver and I would also like to see Barry, Horry and Elson play and perform well. We can close it out but the Jazz are going to be real tough. We know Deron and Boozer will play hard so we need to make sure nobody else on their team gets a chance. It aint over til the fat lady sings according to Dan Cook so lets get it done now.

Spurs will let it all hang out tomorrow night...they'll have a whole week to rest up. :toast

spurster
05-29-2007, 08:52 PM
From the Jazz point of view, I would guess they will be as motivated as ever: elimination game, revenge for Game 4, and Sloan will fire them up.

cherylsteele
05-29-2007, 10:05 PM
Am I the only one who noticed that at the end of the game as the Jazz went to the locker room the whole team seemed to be hanging there head as if to say we gave it our all and still lost? If they still have that demeanor, come game game 5 the Spurs might win handily.

spurspf
05-29-2007, 10:16 PM
Am I the only one who noticed that at the end of the game as the Jazz went to the locker room the whole team seemed to be hanging there head as if to say we gave it our all and still lost? If they still have that demeanor, come game game 5 the Spurs might win handily.

DWill had a towel over his head but Boozer was trying to pick his spirits up a little bit. I don't think they will give up. I just think that the Spurs have too much experience for that to matter.

cherylsteele
05-29-2007, 10:32 PM
DWill had a towel over his head but Boozer was trying to pick his spirits up a little bit. I don't think they will give up. I just think that the Spurs have too much experience for that to matter.
I wonder if the towel was because he was sick with that flu? Or was it the feeling of of just being defeated?