PDA

View Full Version : Is Elson better than Ely?

Ocotillo
05-29-2007, 07:24 PM
'Cisco hit his peak game 1 against the Mavericks and it has been all down hill since then. Because of that game, I clung to hope that this "monster athlete" would evolve into an effective complement to Tim Duncan. Boy was I wrong or at least was my hope misplaced.

Question: Ely has only been here since February but is he really inferior to Frankie? It's too late to throw him in some games now but what about back in early March? What is the story?

Why did they trade Williams for another expiring contract only to have him play the same role, practice body?

timvp
05-29-2007, 07:30 PM
If Ely and Elson arrived in town at the same time, I'm not sure which would have been higher in the Spurs depth charts by now. I'd guess Ely but it's tough to say.

Ely might still have a future with the Spurs. Oberto, Horry and Bonner aren't locks to return next year, so Ely is probably a pretty decent insurance policy. At worst, the Spurs got a close up look at him to see if he's worth keeping around. It beats signing him as a free agent (as the Spurs almost did a couple times) and then figuring out he doesn't fit into the system.

And to be fair to Elson, he still has time to turn it around. Speedy Claxton had one and a half good games as a Spur and he became a legend. If Elson has a breakout game at some point in these playoffs, he can still be looked upon as a successful signing.

Ocotillo
05-29-2007, 07:40 PM
I suspect he is in the plans for next season which is why he was brought in for EWill. My frustration with Elson has grown exponentially in the playoffs to the point that I want to find a way to have him playing ball somewhere else next year.

With Horry making noise about wanting to play next season the off season will be interesting since he has been the second best big man we have. Oberto has stepped up in the playoffs but as you say, he is not certain to be back.

Training camp will be interesting as well with Butler and Ely (maybe) competing for spots in the rotation (or at least the right to come to the games in a uni rather than street clothes)

ChumpDumper
05-29-2007, 08:12 PM
Getting Ely was nice insurance. If any of the other big men don't come back, we can give Ely an inflated one-year deal without screwing up the MLE or threatening the 08 plan.

A sign-and-trade involving Ely is also possible.

2centsworth
05-29-2007, 08:17 PM
No, Ely sucks and his attitude is even worse. Elson still has a chance if he grows up.

ClingingMars
05-29-2007, 08:17 PM
I'm pretty sure Oberto has earned another year with the Spurs. If Horry wins a game or 2 in the Finals, then of course he'll be back. Haven't seen Bonner enough to comment.

-Mars

2centsworth
05-29-2007, 08:20 PM
I'm pretty sure Oberto has earned another year with the Spurs. If Horry wins a game or 2 in the Finals, then of course he'll be back. Haven't seen Bonner enough to comment.

-Mars
Pop loves the Argentinians. Watching them play and it's no suprise why they won the gold and always find themselves on winning teams.

td4mvp21
05-29-2007, 08:23 PM
The only frontcourt player I want to see on the Spurs next year is Horry. The rest I would like to replace with bruisers, rebounders, and shotblockers. I wouldn't be disappointed with Oberto, because he can score some. We still need better defenders at the center.

mattyc
05-29-2007, 08:26 PM
I've liked what I've seen from Ely in his past. I think he could play a role next season if we want to give him a go. That said, alot can happen between now and then.

cherylsteele
05-29-2007, 10:02 PM
Ely hasn't played enough in the Spurs' system to really make a good judgment on his abilities. On the other hand, so far, Elson has been a disappointment in many aspects.

Darkwaters
05-29-2007, 10:13 PM
I would love to trade Elson during the offseason for something else. Fortunately, that shouldn't be too hard. Hes an athletic 7 footer that is making a rather meager 3M a year and will be on an expiring deal. Somebody will gladly take him as a backup (New Jersey?).

Chris
05-29-2007, 10:18 PM
Elson deserves another year. Pop threw him right into the system which we know usually take 1 year to learn. Elson is 30, but he's fast, doesn't make too many mistakes, and he can be a valuable player for us in the future.

Ely doesn't have much upside and will probably ride the pine for most of his career.

Quasar
05-29-2007, 11:20 PM
With Horry making noise about wanting to play next season the off season will be interesting since he has been the second best big man we have.

Oberto has stepped up in the playoffs but as you say, he is not certain to be back.
I guess that Horry is the second best defensive big man, but if you add in offensive consistency and hustle as criteria, I would say that Oberto is definitely more useful to the spurs right now - he's been the bread and butter of the spurs for a very big portion of the playoffs.

The Truth #6
05-29-2007, 11:56 PM
Elson deserves another year. Pop threw him right into the system which we know usually take 1 year to learn. Elson is 30, but he's fast, doesn't make too many mistakes, and he can be a valuable player for us in the future.

Ely doesn't have much upside and will probably ride the pine for most of his career.

I would say Elson makes a lot of mistakes. All the time. I think he's cool but not the smartest player. Possibly the lowest bb IQ of any of our players.

Kori Ellis
05-30-2007, 12:00 AM
No, Ely sucks and his attitude is even worse. Elson still has a chance if he grows up.

Why do you say his attitude sucks? He never had attitude problems with the Bobcats and I haven't heard anything here. He was a little bit of misfit in college, but the coaches in Phoenix/Charlotte always said he had a great attitude.

Why would you give 31-year-old Elson a chance to grow up but not 26/27-year-old Ely?

Kori Ellis
05-30-2007, 12:02 AM

Doesn't make too many mistakes?
I think the opposite. 80% of his time on the court he is making mistakes. He gets yelled at by teammates more than Nazr and I thought that was impossible.

Kori Ellis
05-30-2007, 12:03 AM
Anyway, to answer the original question - I don't think either one of them is much better than the other. They are each worth a couple million as injury insurance.

BradLohaus
05-30-2007, 12:13 AM
I never thought I'd say this as little as a month ago, but what will we do if we lose Fab?

BeerIsGood!
05-30-2007, 12:15 AM
I wish I was worth a couple million as injury insurance. Oh, to be 7 ft tall and somewhat athletic...

Solid D
05-30-2007, 01:00 AM
It is very difficult to say about Ely, because we don't have the benefit of seeing him play much now that he is with the Spurs. The little floor time Melvin saw, he was new, lost and didn't seem to be in much of a hurry to get anywhere.

Francisco looks better than Ely when compared with that snippet of PT, but that's not really a fair comparison.

2centsworth
05-30-2007, 08:34 AM
Why do you say his attitude sucks? He never had attitude problems with the Bobcats and I haven't heard anything here. He was a little bit of misfit in college, but the coaches in Phoenix/Charlotte always said he had a great attitude.

Why would you give 31-year-old Elson a chance to grow up but not 26/27-year-old Ely?I describe Ely's attitude as sucking because of his lack of desire to be a good NBA player and/or Spur. Watch Ely tonight compared to James White or Jackie Butler. I bet Ely spends half of the game in the restroom while a guy like White is totally involved in the game and even participates in the team huddles.

Elson has freakish athletic ability but acts like a Kid. He gets yelled at, and then goes to the bench and pouts. Maybe he can lose that. I get a sense he wants to do well, so there's hope in my eyes.

Nevertheless, if the spurs can find better great!

RuffnReadyOzStyle
05-30-2007, 08:59 AM
I never thought I'd say this as little as a month ago, but what will we do if we lose Fab?

Exactly what I was thinking. I really want him around next year given his playoff miracle.

Everyone is forgetting about Butler, I think. Won't he be expected to contribute next year? I quite like the flexibility that Horry/Bonner/Oberto/Elson/Butler gives us, and the fact that they all know the system will improve team chemistry in the early part of the season. That gives the team the ability to focus on getting younger and more athletic at the swing poitions, and find a backup PG. Time to dangle Scola with whoever and get someone like Gerald Wallace (dreaming) or Nocioni (wouldn't that be nice?).

As for Ely, don't know. I liked him two years ago, thought he'd develop, and has done nothing special.

timvp - you're always unfair to Speedy! He played more than a great game and a half, he was awesome all the way from the All-Star break through the Finals. Remember the way he took over when TP got hurt? Remember the night it happened when he almost had a triple-double in the 2nd half but Timmy stole his 10th board? Bah! :ihit :lol

Spurs Brazil
05-30-2007, 09:39 AM
I'd like to see Butler playing with the starter and getting good minutes

I think he's our best option for next season with Oberto off the bench

MrChug
05-30-2007, 09:44 AM

Why would you give 31-year-old Elson a chance to grow up but not 26/27-year-old Ely?

EXACTLY! I was about to say...so a 31 year old can be IMmature?!?!

Oh...wait :oops

:p:

bigfan
05-30-2007, 09:51 AM
Tell you the truth, I like where we are at center. If he can keep up this pace, I think Oberto has earned starter status. I think Elson is serviceable and is as good as a lot of journeyman big men out there. Horry, well, Id like to see more out of him during the playoffs actually. Butler, what, hes only 21? Keep him. Ely? Havent seem him play hardly at all and if he's cheap, we can hang onto him as insurance. If the right trades came along, the only guy Id for sure hang on to is Oberto though. He's cheap, motivated, not too old and not too expensive. We should concentrate offseason on forwards and guards.

K-State Spur
05-30-2007, 10:45 AM
I describe Ely's attitude as sucking because of his lack of desire to be a good NBA player and/or Spur. Watch Ely tonight compared to James White or Jackie Butler. I bet Ely spends half of the game in the restroom while a guy like White is totally involved in the game and even participates in the team huddles.

I actually disagree with that wholeheartedly. I've been somewhat surprised at how much of a cheerleader Ely has been on the sidelines despite not being part of this team until mid-season, and barely seeing the floor after that.

michaelwcho
05-30-2007, 11:01 AM
Remember we didn't sign Elson to play the Jazz or the Suns, but the Mavs. Think about that matchups, factor in another year of experience in this system, and then how do you like him?

Hoop
05-30-2007, 11:17 AM
First Ely should play some minutes, but i dont't think he would be worst than Elson. Spurs can be happy Oberto starts to play ball in playoffs, and for next year they must concider option to bring quality C on roster - it wouldnt bother me if Elson&Ely left Spurs.