PDA

View Full Version : Biden's Out

Nbadan
05-29-2007, 09:42 PM
Hey Joe, when your in a hole you quit digging, you don't dig even faster...

Biden says rivals wrong to oppose war funding
By THOMAS BEAUMONT
REGISTER STAFF WRITER
May 29, 2007

Democratic presidential candidate Joe Biden on Tuesday accused his rivals for the 2008 nomination who are fellow U.S. senators of voting against the safety of troops deployed in Iraq.

“As long as there are troops who are in a position where, if we don’t fund them they are going to be hurt, I’m not going to cut off funding,” Biden said during a meeting with Des Moines Register editors and reporters “That’s what the other candidates said too, but they changed their mind.”

Biden was referring to last week’s vote on a supplemental bill to finance the war in Iraq. The measure passed with bipartisan support after language calling for a timetable for troop withdrawal was removed.

Biden and the three other Democrats in the Senate seeking the nomination support the gradual reduction of troops from Iraq by next spring. Sens. Hillary Clinton of New York, Christopher Dodd of Connecticut and Barack Obama voted against the measure.

Biden said the bill includes money for the production of thousands of vehicles that better protect soldiers from the impact of homemade bombs, the main cause of U.S. casualties in Iraq.

“I find it absolutely unconscionable that I would delay, to make a point, a week to two to a month, the construction of these vehicles,” Biden added. Obama said supporting the bill would have been consenting to President Bush’s conduct of the war.

Linky (http://www.desmoinesregister.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070529/NEWS/70529037/1001/RSS01)