PDA

View Full Version : rockets fan here wants spurs to be champs

JoshTheChild
05-29-2007, 10:14 PM
call me crazy and i know im supposed to hate the spurs as a diehard rockets fan, but i have been cheering for the spurs ever since the rockets lost to the jazz in game 7. Of course i hate utah more than any NBA team always have always will. so i would cheer for spurs in that series regardless, but my friends and family think im nuts for wanting the spurs to win it all. i know i will have to hear stuff about how the spurs have 4 and rockets have 2 blah blah blah but idc really. if we all want to get technical the celtics and lakers are so far ahead of everybody and their fans arent exactly feeling good right now. im more of a present than a past guy. i mean i dont bring up the 95 series to my spurs friends. even though i admit im proud of that series. but anyway im sorry for talking too much, but i want the spurs to be champs this year. im on clutchfans.net with the same sn (joshthechild) get at me! go spurs for now go rockets FOREVER

flipcritic
05-29-2007, 10:17 PM
I used to be a Rocket fan when Olajuwon was still playing. And yes, if there is any team that the Rockets hate with much passion, it's Utah (the pain of Game 6 in 1997 on the infamous pick and roll where Malone leveled Drexler is something Houston has never forgiven).

JoshTheChild
05-29-2007, 10:19 PM
I used to be a Rocket fan when Olajuwon was still playing. And yes, if there is any team that the Rockets hate with much passion, it's Utah (the pain of Game 6 in 1997 on the infamous pick and roll where Malone leveled Drexler is something Houston has never forgiven).

yes utah has given me lots of pain. i was there for game 7 this year.

but i hate them even more for being dirty, im glad manu made fisher mad that was priceless

spurs1990
05-30-2007, 02:38 AM
I like the rivalry with Houston...haven't had too many run-ins in the postseason to build much animosity. Unlike another team, Houston has hung meaningful banners and Dream was ridiculous in his hey day. Don't think he ever lost to an 8th seed.

Solid D
05-30-2007, 07:25 AM
Welcome to the Forum JoshTheChild.

ObiwanGinobili
05-30-2007, 07:37 AM
Welcome :)

SpursIndonesia
05-30-2007, 07:49 AM
Both the Rox & the Jazz had brought dissappointing moments for us Spurs fans in the past. But while with the Rox we can say outright that we did lost to the better team with such dominating superstar(s for 1995), i couldn't have said the same for the Jazz case. I'm not a fan of excuse making, but let just say the Jazz made up some of their shortcomings with a good dose of dirty tactics.

MissouriSpur
05-30-2007, 07:52 AM
Jerry Sloan preaches dirty basketball

41times
05-30-2007, 08:00 AM

Yep, and he has for 20 years.

Count this Mavs fan as another rooter for the Spurs. As a Texan I will always root for the Texas team to prevail when my team is out!

GrandeDavid
05-30-2007, 08:39 AM
call me crazy and i know im supposed to hate the spurs as a diehard rockets fan, but i have been cheering for the spurs ever since the rockets lost to the jazz in game 7. Of course i hate utah more than any NBA team always have always will. so i would cheer for spurs in that series regardless, but my friends and family think im nuts for wanting the spurs to win it all. i know i will have to hear stuff about how the spurs have 4 and rockets have 2 blah blah blah but idc really. if we all want to get technical the celtics and lakers are so far ahead of everybody and their fans arent exactly feeling good right now. im more of a present than a past guy. i mean i dont bring up the 95 series to my spurs friends. even though i admit im proud of that series. but anyway im sorry for talking too much, but i want the spurs to be champs this year. im on clutchfans.net with the same sn (joshthechild) get at me! go spurs for now go rockets FOREVER

:clap

Hey, I respect you for coming with this take. For the record, I'm a diehard Astros and Texans fan. I'm from Houston originally, but moved to San Antonio in 1989, during David Robinson's rookie season. Today I share time living partly overseas, also in San Antonio and have an office/condo in Miami, but that doesn't make a Heat fan. :lol

Regardless of whether its overseas, Miami or San Antonio, I love the Spurs. I don't feel the Rockets anymore, and that was proven when I was crushed by the Rockets' ousting of San Antonio in the 1995 WCF. I used to defend David Robinson v. Shaq in arguments by taunting buddies up north while in college in the early to mid 90s. I was at the 99 championship games, I was at 01 games when Kobe and Shaq ran over the Spurs. I was at the 03 championship games and had a party for Game 7 of the 05 Finals in Brazil.

I've had the pleasure of getting to know some of the Spurs players, front office people and even David Robinson over the years. So I really do "bleed" black and silver.

Having said all of this, its nice to hear somebody from a rival market applaud the Spurs instead of lambasting them for being either soft, boring, dirty, hard, and any other contradictory, substanceless tag.

Props to you!

LilMissSPURfect
05-30-2007, 09:00 AM
damn ....... props to u! dream was the man.....i hated the fool in 95 as well!!!!!! but without him Spurs (imo) wouldn't be in this position today.....referring back to the chipping away at the rock .....u can't just show up in the playoffs one season and think u will be crowned champs..(like dallas and phoenix).u have to work at it,,,,,year after year,,,,and learn from it and take something from it....like experience, poise and humility.....something i thought phoenix and dallas lacked this season.... THEY--the team and thier fans EXPECTED the seas to part just because the had the best record, flashy hair and the whole 9! one day dallas and phoenix will thank the spurs for the SPANKINGS! JUST LIKE TODAY I THANK DREAM AND THE ROCKETS!!!

Jimcs50
05-30-2007, 09:01 AM
I would be rooting for Houston too, had they beaten Utah, and Phoenix had beaten SA.

Thanks for your support.

We Texans have to stick together.....well.....unless it was Dallas playing....I will never root for Dallas, as long as Cuban is their owner.

4lifecowboy
05-30-2007, 10:11 AM
damn ....... props to u! dream was the man.....i hated the fool in 95 as well!!!!!! but without him Spurs (imo) wouldn't be in this position today.....referring back to the chipping away at the rock .....u can't just show up in the playoffs one season and think u will be crowned champs..(like dallas and phoenix).u have to work at it,,,,,year after year,,,,and learn from it and take something from it....like experience, poise and humility.....something i thought phoenix and dallas lacked this season.... THEY--the team and thier fans EXPECTED the seas to part just because the had the best record, flashy hair and the whole 9! one day dallas and phoenix will thank the spurs for the SPANKINGS! JUST LIKE TODAY I THANK DREAM AND THE ROCKETS!!!

Couldn't agree more, I(native San Antonian) was living in Houston in 95 when they spanked that ass of the Spurs. My wife (native Houstonian) decorated her car with "Spurs in 95 " in white shoe polish. So everyone knew who our household was for, but outside someone egging her car, it was civil taunting even when we were at the game draped in Spurs gear. Though we live back in SA now Houston will always be my second favorite place be in Texas (unless I have Cowboy tickets of course :) )

BreezeHillBill
05-30-2007, 11:35 AM
Couldn't agree more, I(native San Antonian) was living in Houston in 95 when they spanked that ass of the Spurs. My wife (native Houstonian) decorated her car with "Spurs in 95 " in white shoe polish. So everyone knew who our household was for, but outside someone egging her car, it was civil taunting even when we were at the game draped in Spurs gear. Though we live back in SA now Houston will always be my second favorite place be in Texas (unless I have Cowboy tickets of course :) )
I have spent a lot time in Houston and surrounding for the last 30 years. Lots of family up there. In general, Houston folks are pretty unpretentious and straight-forward. Lots of oil patch mentality. I have been in Dallas a lot too. By comparison, general population seems to be prima donna types. Have a friend who transferred to Dallas and soon after decided to live in Fort Worth and make the drive. He said he might have to work with them, but he didn't have to live with them.

Dirk Nowitzki
05-30-2007, 02:49 PM
That is cute that you want to root for the spurs. Count me out as a person who will ever start rooting for the spurs tho. I HATE that team. I want them to lose sooo badly. I cant stomach them winning another title. Utah or Detroit wont let me down tho. :clap :clap

Mr. Body
05-30-2007, 03:27 PM
Have big respect for the Rox. Always have, even in '95.

JoshTheChild
05-30-2007, 03:35 PM
:clap

Hey, I respect you for coming with this take. For the record, I'm a diehard Astros and Texans fan. I'm from Houston originally, but moved to San Antonio in 1989, during David Robinson's rookie season. Today I share time living partly overseas, also in San Antonio and have an office/condo in Miami, but that doesn't make a Heat fan. :lol

Regardless of whether its overseas, Miami or San Antonio, I love the Spurs. I don't feel the Rockets anymore, and that was proven when I was crushed by the Rockets' ousting of San Antonio in the 1995 WCF. I used to defend David Robinson v. Shaq in arguments by taunting buddies up north while in college in the early to mid 90s. I was at the 99 championship games, I was at 01 games when Kobe and Shaq ran over the Spurs. I was at the 03 championship games and had a party for Game 7 of the 05 Finals in Brazil.

I've had the pleasure of getting to know some of the Spurs players, front office people and even David Robinson over the years. So I really do "bleed" black and silver.

Having said all of this, its nice to hear somebody from a rival market applaud the Spurs instead of lambasting them for being either soft, boring, dirty, hard, and any other contradictory, substanceless tag.

Props to you!

thx for the props! i was like 11 yrs old when the spurs played the rockets in 95. i went to games 3 and 4 in h-town. ( the 2 games the spurs won) im glad to see some REAL spurs fans in here that go way back! every spurs fan i meet in person dont know names like del negro, JR reid, terry cummings! but even the rockets have alot of fans that dont know anything past t-mac and yao. im liking this forum already. REAL spurs fans are here. you guys would be fans even if they went 0-82. RESPECT!

JoshTheChild
05-30-2007, 03:37 PM

yes i hope the jazz never ever win a championship. especially with him coaching.