PDA

View Full Version : Who is more clutch? Big Shot Rob or Lebron?

spursjustice
05-29-2007, 11:47 PM
Sounds like a stupid question... well it is :spin

I am only asking this question only because a group of my friends, who are massive Cav fans don't seem to understand the meaning of clutch. They are all saying Lebron > Horry in terms of clutchness...

I believe Horry is about as clutch as one can be... he is mentioned in the same breath as MJ, Larry and Reggie... he hits big shots and has a knack of making big plays when the game is on the line... Lebron may be good, but he is not on the same level as Horry in terms of clutchness...but he has time, and only time will tell.

What do you all think?

PM5K
05-29-2007, 11:50 PM
I don't even know if you can be considered until you hit clutch shots in the NBA FINALS..

jaffies
05-29-2007, 11:53 PM
Shit. I would go as far as to say that fucking Carmelo Anthony is more clutch. easy.

jaespur21
05-29-2007, 11:55 PM
Robert Horry is cool as ice. your friends are what 16 yrs old

PM5K
05-29-2007, 11:56 PM
I kind of laughed when the announcers made a big deal of Lebron making a jumpshot when the Cavs were up like six points, clutch is hitting a big shot when you are down to give you the lead, or hitting a shot to make your very small one or two point lead four or five with a three, not making a six point lead eight points...

AnkleBreaker21
05-29-2007, 11:58 PM
I kind of laughed when the announcers made a big deal of Lebron making a jumpshot when the Cavs were up like six points, clutch is hitting a big shot when you are down to give you the lead, or hitting a shot to make your very small one or two point lead four or five with a three, not making a six point lead eight points...
exactly :clap :clap

whottt
05-30-2007, 12:07 AM
Lots of people don't get clutch IMO...

Horry probably deserves to be in the HOF because of how clutch he is...he's definitely a one of a kind player....he's got a clutchness factor on par with the absolute greatest of the greatest players in NBA history...he just doesn't have their big numbers or consistent game. If i have to pick a guy to do a last second anything...I can't think of many players I'd pick ahead of Horry...but I do know that every one of them that might be ahead of him is in the HOF, and considered to be the greatest player ever(like top 5).

Larry Bird...Jordan...Jerry West...Magic. That's about it.

LeBron doesn't know the meaning of clutch yet IMO...I think his clutchness is undermined at this stage...he's not even in the same building as Horry as far as clutchness goes.

J.T.
05-30-2007, 12:11 AM
The word "Horry" will replace the usage of "clutch" the world over once Rob retires.

J.T.
05-30-2007, 12:12 AM
Lebron is to clutch as Tony Romo is to Joe Montana.

Strike
05-30-2007, 12:28 AM

I thought the same thing.

Big deal, he made a late shot with him team up 6! He misses and maybe Detroit cuts it to 3.

Let him hit a few late shots when his team is down 2 or 3, then MAYBE he deserves to be in a clutch talk.

Until then, no one has any business comparing him to ANY clutch player in the history of the game.

MrChug
05-30-2007, 12:44 AM
Sounds like a stupid question...

Go with your instincts...what a stupid fucking question. When Lebron starts attaining notariety for how many championships he's won with his timely shots...start another thread. Period.

MrChug
05-30-2007, 12:45 AM

OH I LOVE THAT ANALOGY...wtg J.T.

T-Pain
05-30-2007, 12:45 AM
well right now i have to say lebron

Rynospursfan
05-30-2007, 12:59 AM
After two home wins people are calling him clutch? Just last week his name was synonymous with un-clutch.

Cry Havoc
05-30-2007, 01:03 AM
How many clutch LeBron shots have led (directly or indirectly) to an NBA title?

How many clutch LeBron shots have led (directly or indirectly) to a Conference Title?

jmard5
05-30-2007, 01:09 AM
well right now i have to say lebron

Are you saying LeBron had already surpassed Horry as big time clutch?

Hell, LeBron even has to surpass Melo first. Yet obviously, Melo is way, waaay behind Horry in terms of clutchness (if there is such a term).

L.I.T
05-30-2007, 01:14 AM
There are players from his draft more clutch than him right now: Melo, Wade and Hinrich.

That being said, I'm betting that '6th sense' in terms of what play to make at the right moment is still being developed. But, the fact that it hasn't manifested itself so far is worrisome.

Guys like Horry, Jordan, West, Magic and Bird all showed signs of developing into the clutch players they became early in their career.

Trainwreck2100
05-30-2007, 01:19 AM
This is so stupid, it deserves the gigantic rolleyes

http://img263.imageshack.us/img263/480/rolleyesrc9.gif

suitedkings
05-30-2007, 01:36 AM
wasnt Lebron 0 for 8 in 3's with the game on the line this last year?

bobbyjoe
05-30-2007, 02:26 AM
How many clutch LeBron shots have led (directly or indirectly) to an NBA title?

How many clutch LeBron shots have led (directly or indirectly) to a Conference Title?

Lebron is on a team with a very weak supporting cast, so this isn't the best way to look at it IMO. He's never had an opportunity in those situations, nor should he have been expected to do so with Drew Gooden as his 2nd best player.

Horry is ridiculously clutch but he's been blessed to be on some of the great teams in recent NBA history in LA, Houston, and now San Antonio.

To those who've watched Lebron closely though his first few years, his inability to take over games in the clutch has probably been the singlemost
weakness in his game. 2 games of clutch play just doesn't change that.

As far as most clutch players in today's game, I think Kobe Bryant is clearly #1. I would rank Horry #2. Ginobili has to be in this discussion as well. Steve Nash as well. Throw Iverson in there too. Gilbert Arenas to..

It's interesting that a lot of stars in today's NBA (Garnett, Tmac, Lebron, Dirk, Vince Carter) are actually shaky in the clutch.

Quasar
05-30-2007, 03:41 AM
I can't think of many players I'd pick ahead of Horry...but I do know that every one of them that might be ahead of him is in the HOF, and considered to be the greatest player ever(like top 5). I agree with all you said, but I think I'd pick Manu. "Last shot" is probably horry, but last 10 plays and down by 5 or up by 1?

Manu's been there and done that so many times that he can't be left out of the conversation. He's really "The Closer".

Cry Havoc
05-30-2007, 07:45 AM
Lebron is on a team with a very weak supporting cast, so this isn't the best way to look at it IMO. He's never had an opportunity in those situations, nor should he have been expected to do so with Drew Gooden as his 2nd best player.

It doesn't matter, though. To be considered truly clutch (let alone on Horry's level, one of the best of all-time late in the 4th), you have to hit big, series winning and title winning shots. And that's just to be considered. LeBron doesn't get a free pass because his teams haven't been able to get him there, because this isn't a knock on him, it's just a fact that he hasn't proven himself as a clutch player.

Let alone one of the greatest.

GrandeDavid
05-30-2007, 07:46 AM
Horry. By far.

cherylsteele
05-30-2007, 09:13 AM
1 or 2 "clutch" games by LeBron and fans get stupid about him.
Horry has been clutch since he first came into the NBA when James was still worried about cooties in school.

LilMissSPURfect
05-30-2007, 09:18 AM

:clap

MajorMike
05-30-2007, 09:21 AM
I like Lebron. Not 'go buy a jersey' like, but 'appreciate the talent' like. He's sort of like Peyton - hard to not like a guy with that much star power who makes fun of himself on tv.

Anyhoo, Lebron actually has a rep for being very UNclutch. can't think of more than one big game winning/deciding shot that Bron Bron has made, and normally we are talking about how he made a bad decision with the game on the line.

No way you could fathom a vote against Rob in this matchup.

ATRAIN
05-30-2007, 09:23 AM
HOrry has been doing it for years and in big games.....Labron hasnt and he choked in 2 games this series.

SAGambler
05-30-2007, 02:06 PM
How can one even mention a relative new comer in the same breath as Horry?

I remember the hype when Bron first came in. He was the greatest thing since sliced bread.

Well, I have seen him choke more times than not. Hell, as recently as the two games at Detroit, you could pretty much say he choked an cost the Cavs the games.

Horry could fill a scrapbook with "big clutch time shots".......Bron has yet to even show an ECF banner in the gym, much less gotten it with a "clutch" shot.

sa_butta
05-30-2007, 02:10 PM
Horry and it is not even close. For too many reasons including those mentioned previously. The man has six championships.

JamStone
05-30-2007, 02:10 PM
Obvious answer is Horry.

However, LeBron hasn't had as many opportunities as Horry, so time will tell years from now.

But, over and above that, further analysis could already lead to an answer other than Horry when you consider this ...

Making plays when the entire defense is geared to stop you and still making shots with double and triple teams >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> then hitting high pressured shots off of kickouts with pretty decent looks because of the greatness of your teammates