PDA

View Full Version : Go to youtube and watch game footage of Russell and Chamberlain...

Sec24Row7
05-30-2007, 12:44 AM
Then come back here and tell me you wouldnt take Kareem, Olajuwan, Shaq, Drob and Duncan in their prime over both of them...

I've never seen a complete game of either of them... I would love to... but if that is what serves as Highlights... I'm not impressed...

A finger roll from 7 feet over a 6 foot 5 white dude doesn't translate well to todays NBA... and look at the position they get... Jesus...

Everyone I listed there would score 50 points a game for a season if they were given that kind of position in the lane...

Shaq would have averaged 70...

Sec24Row7
05-30-2007, 12:46 AM
crap wrong forum... could someone move this...

dunno how I got this mixed up with the other one...

Rynospursfan
05-30-2007, 12:54 AM
How about you post some links for lazy people like myself.

ATXSPUR
05-30-2007, 12:56 AM
Wilt scored 100 points

FuzzyLumpkins
05-30-2007, 12:58 AM
wilt also had 50 rebounds in a game. wrap your mind around that.

Cry Havoc
05-30-2007, 01:11 AM
Then come back here and tell me you wouldnt take Kareem, Olajuwan, Shaq, Drob and Duncan in their prime over both of them...

I've never seen a complete game of either of them... I would love to... but if that is what serves as Highlights... I'm not impressed...

A finger roll from 7 feet over a 6 foot 5 white dude doesn't translate well to todays NBA... and look at the position they get... Jesus...

Everyone I listed there would score 50 points a game for a season if they were given that kind of position in the lane...

Shaq would have averaged 70...

First of all, Shaq has never had the physical stamina to score more than 55 points in a game. Too fat, and even when he was younger, too big and bulky to get it done over a full 48.

You can criticize all you want, but you know what? The finger rolls worked. Why not use them? Duncan doesn't need to get 25 inches off the ground get blocks-- are you going to call him out for not rocketing shots into the 3rd row, because he's playing efficiently? Wilt used the finger roll over small guys because it worked.

If Wilt reminds me of anyone, it's Hakeem. Lots of good post moves, good up and under, can pivot to either side well, very solid fadeaway jumper. Oh yeah, and the hookshot. If Wilt played today I think he'd average along the lines of 24 and 10 with 2.2 blocks. Maybe a little better or worse depending on how he adapted to the modern game. Make no mistake though -- he'd still be a force.

Solid D
05-30-2007, 01:18 AM
I watched Russell and Chamberlain play quite a bit over their years spent in the league, both live and on television. The game, the physique, the diet, and the style has changed so much since the 1960s when Bill and Wilt were in their prime playing days. Passing was emphasized. Dribbling, as an art, was quite a bit different back then. There was less done with either hand, but more with the dominant hand.

There was much less traveling and carrying the basketball allowed in the pro game, too. Even a basic dribble by Steve Nash or Tony Parker today would have been a potential turnover in the 1960s because the hand needed to be on top of the ball to be a legal dribble. Pushing the ball at an angle was certainly allowed but not carrying it from the back of the ball to the top of the ball. The only guy that sort of got away with carrying the ball was Earl the Pearl. They used to say Earl Monroe dribbled like he had the ball on a string.

Anyways, it's impossible to compare different players from different eras. Individual play is more prevalent and the game is played much more above the rim nowadays than it was in the '60s.

toosmallshoes
05-30-2007, 04:11 AM
I would still take Russel over any player today. Tim Duncan and Michael Jordan are a close second. They didn't have .4 seconds available on the clock back then. It was so obvious from watching those videos why Chamberlain was so much more popular, but Russel was a winner. Offense sells tickets, but defense wins championships. The Spurs may not be popular right now, but in the future they will be revered as a dynasty rivaling anything the Celtics, Lakers, Patriots, or Yankees ever put together.

Capt Bringdown
05-30-2007, 04:48 AM
Chamberlain and Russell dominated during their era, that's all that matters. They were fierce, driven competitor/athletes who would have risen to the top even if they were born during a later era.

Let's celebrate and marvel at what they accomplished, rather than trying to denigrate their achievements by comparing them to today's players.

FuzzyLumpkins
05-30-2007, 05:01 AM
Chamberlain and Russell dominated during their era, that's all that matters. They were fierce, driven competitor/athletes who would have risen to the top even if they were born during a later era.

Let's celebrate and marvel at what they accomplished, rather than trying to denigrate their achievements by comparing them to today's players.

Chaberlain and the Celtics dominated.

Sec24Row7
05-30-2007, 07:24 AM
I would still take Russel over any player today. Tim Duncan and Michael Jordan are a close second. They didn't have .4 seconds available on the clock back then. It was so obvious from watching those videos why Chamberlain was so much more popular, but Russel was a winner. Offense sells tickets, but defense wins championships. The Spurs may not be popular right now, but in the future they will be revered as a dynasty rivaling anything the Celtics, Lakers, Patriots, or Yankees ever put together.

You would take Russel over Jordan or Duncan?

ROFL... thank god you don't have RC's job

I just get sick of people calling someone the G.O.A.T. when it is so obvious that it isn't true... I was actually looking at the Starting 5 of all time thread 1st team 2nd team etc and wanted to look at their game...

Neither of them would make the THIRD team if I was a scout...

I'm not taking anything away from their ACCOMPLISHMENTS... they didnt choose when they got to play... but you can't tell me that they were as skilled as today's GOOD players... much less the GREAT ones...

shelshor
05-30-2007, 11:12 AM
And how good would today's players be if they had to get real jobs in the off season? Or had to have jobs DURING the season to feed their families and therefore didn't have the luxury of year round training?
And how many of today's NBA players are employable as anything but basketball players?

Sec24Row7
05-30-2007, 11:41 AM
And how good would today's players be if they had to get real jobs in the off season? Or had to have jobs DURING the season to feed their families and therefore didn't have the luxury of year round training?
And how many of today's NBA players are employable as anything but basketball players?

What the hell does that matter?

I'm not going to call someone better than someone else because he sells used cars in the offseason...

That's rediculous

Brutalis
05-30-2007, 01:24 PM
It is fact that DRob, Hakeem, Shaq, Ewing and even Barkley all would have taken Kareem and Russel behind the woodshed for a beat down.

What it is though, is in respect to their generation and competition were lesser opponents and a different NBA as we know it. So for me personally I leave it at that. They are legends for their time although compare nothing to where the NBA went with talent since.

BUMP
05-30-2007, 02:28 PM
It is fact that DRob, Hakeem, Shaq, Ewing and even Barkley all would have taken Wilt and Russel behind the woodshed for a beat down.

i dont know much about Russel but Wilt is the most dominant and hardest guy to guard in the history of basketball. i've never seen anyone get up as high as he can. i would love to see Barkley play Chamberlain, for a good laugh. Barkley would get every shot thrown in aisle 3. the dude blocked sky hooks, and turned around and just dunked straight over people as when straight posting up. the only person i think would be close to him in this era, is O'Neal due to his strentgh, but Chamberlain would wear him down over the course of the game

mardigan
05-30-2007, 02:44 PM
wilt also had 50 rebounds in a game. wrap your mind around that.
He averaged 50 points and 26 rebounds a game his third year, mind blowing.

Sec24Row7
05-30-2007, 03:22 PM
i dont know much about Russel but Wilt is the most dominant and hardest guy to guard in the history of basketball. i've never seen anyone get up as high as he can. i would love to see Barkley play Chamberlain, for a good laugh. Barkley would get every shot thrown in aisle 3. the dude blocked sky hooks, and turned around and just dunked straight over people as when straight posting up. the only person i think would be close to him in this era, is O'Neal due to his strentgh, but Chamberlain would wear him down over the course of the game

Chamberlain Goaltended skyhooks... at least the one up on youtube he blocked from kareem (while he was alcindor) was a goaltend