PDA

View Full Version : Up 3-1 in the WCF. Game 5 at home. Done Deal.

timvp
05-30-2007, 04:16 AM
Or maybe not . . .

Mavs come back from 19 points down to stop Spurs
San Antonio Express-News
By Johnny Ludden

The Western Conference finals trophy was somewhere in the building. Security officials had been briefed on the presentation ceremony. An NBA official had a big bag of "Spurs Western Conference Champions" T-shirts and hats ready to distribute.

Even the local newspaper became proactive and started printing 15,000 ready-to-sell "SPURS WIN!" front pages.

Three hours later, they were headed straight for the recycling bin.

The Spurs' trip to the NBA Finals will have to wait. For now, they're only headed back to Dallas.

Unable to stop the Mavericks or hit their own shots, the Spurs surrendered a 19-point lead and lost 103-91. They walked out of the SBC Center not with a trophy, but empty-handed, both stunned and frustrated that they cling to a 3-2 lead in the series heading into Thursday's Game 6.

"It was straight out of a bad dream," David Robinson said. "But you have to use it as motivation to get going. Nothing you really want is going to be easy. You have to work hard for it. I'll guarantee we'll get focused for the next one."

The Spurs failed to show that focus in the final quarter, allowing the Mavericks to shoot 58.8 percent and outrebound them 13-7. They missed 11 of their first 12 shots and scored just 10 points in the quarter. For the game, they also missed 14 free throws.

As a result, Dallas — which still trailed by 17 points with less than eight minutes left in the third quarter — swallowed up the Spurs' lead.

"Everybody says you have to have experience or this, that or the other," Spurs coach Gregg Popovich said. "But I think if you have half a brain, you realize how important a game that was. You don't have to be there before.

"It comes down to rebounding and stops. Missed shots are fine. Missed free throws are fine. But the other stuff needed to be done. Dallas had more people that wanted to do that tonight."

Dallas also could regain the services of one more important person for Thursday. Mavericks coach Don Nelson said Dirk Nowitzki, who sat out his second straight game with a sprained left knee, is "legitimately doubtful" to play in Game 6, but added, "the longer the series goes, the better the chance we have to get him back."

For the first 36 or so minutes of Game 5, the series didn't figure to last past Tuesday. The Spurs put on a brilliant display of passing in the opening half, frequently finding cutters at the rim as they assisted on 17 of their 20 baskets.

For the first quarter and a half, the Spurs shot close to 70 percent. By halftime, they had already placed four scorers in double figures. Less than four minutes into the second quarter, they led 44-25.

The Spurs still led by 11 at the half after shooting 60.6 percent. The Mavericks shot just 34 percent in the first two quarters.

"You look at the stats at halftime, and we should have been down 25," Nelson said. "With six minutes left, I told the guys, 'I don't want you to try to get it all back at once. Just get me to 10 at halftime.'

"Well, they got me 11. That was close enough."

The Spurs helped the Mavericks' cause by committing four turnovers in the final 5:07 of the half.

"I thought we really showed a lack of maturity the last five, six minutes of the second quarter," Popovich said. "I thought that was the beginning of our problems. It looked like we were expecting someone to give us something for some strange reason."

If Popovich thought those six minutes in the second quarter were bad, he soon discovered the last 12 minutes of the game were even worse. The Mavericks switched to a zone to choke off Tim Duncan (23 points, 15 rebounds and six assists), limiting him to just two shots in the final quarter.

With Tony Parker, Manu Ginobili and Stephen Jackson unable to get on track, the Spurs didn't get their first basket in the quarter until more than six minutes were gone.

"They just decided (Duncan) was not going to beat them," Malik Rose said. "Tony's seen that before. Stephen's seen that before. Manu's seen that before. But we didn't react the way we were taught and capable of reacting and it hurt us."

Raef LaFrentz gave the Mavericks their first lead of the game on a dunk with 7:34 left. Michael Finley, who scored a game-high 31 points and kept Dallas close, yielded to Nick Van Exel who dropped in 12 of his 21 points in the final quarter. Van Exel put the game away when he made two free throws, stole Rose's inbounds pass and made three more foul shots when he was fouled by Jackson on a 3-point attempt.

Jackson had four fouls and two turnovers to three points in the final quarter and briefly bickered with Bruce Bowen on the sidelines. Bowen also yelled at a courtside heckler to shut up.

"I saw blue shirts on the floor," Popovich said. "I saw blue shirts ripping rebounds from people in white shirts. They deserved it. They wanted it more. They got it."

If nothing else, the Spurs can say they've been here before. Blowing a double-digit lead in the playoffs is nothing new to them.

"I saw a couple of negative faces and people who were upset," Ginobili said. "That's all right to be upset because you can't let this happen. But we still have two more chances to get just one. It's not all bad."

Now is not time for a letdown. If the Spurs thought the Jazz fans were wild in Game 4, they haven't seen nothing compared to what Game 6 would bring.

Get this damn Jazz monkey off the back of the franchise with a win. One more victory and the pain of the defeats in 1994, 1996 and 1998 will finally diminish.

One more.

Believe.

http://img.search.com/thumb/4/46/DavidRobinsonShot.jpg/250px-DavidRobinsonShot.jpghttp://www.cantstopthebleeding.com/img/Avery_Johnson.jpghttp://www.eric.vcu.edu/inm/seanelliott4.jpg

airjer15
05-30-2007, 04:27 AM
I am still holding on hope that Jazz will make a series out of this wcf, but if not then congrats. As a Jazz fan I am just glad to think that this is a building year for us, I am sure you will be seeing us again around this time next year. One other thing, I think the NBA has let flops become a big part of the game for every NBA team, but as for the Spurs, I think that TD, TP, and MG would be just as good or better without them. oh yeah one more thing, thanks for sending Eva down to Utah with Tony, she is smokin HOT!

L.I.T
05-30-2007, 04:36 AM
Feel like I'm pimping the And 1 tour.

One more.

BeerIsGood!
05-30-2007, 04:50 AM
Everything happens as it should. If they don't win here then they deserve the game 6 battle that will be on their hands. They know that, and they have the tools to shut this thing down now.

whottt
05-30-2007, 04:58 AM
Have the Jazz ever come back from being down 3-1?

whottt
05-30-2007, 05:04 AM
Just looked it up...no, they haven't...

By the way...you want another reason to hate the Mavericks?

They've never lost in the playoffs to the Rockets or the Jazz...

Can you believe that crap? 2-0 against both of them.

airjer15
05-30-2007, 05:06 AM
I hate the mavs then

Sec24Row7
05-30-2007, 07:35 AM
Can we trick them into getting Van Exel and starting him to try to repeat this feat?

SPARKY
05-30-2007, 08:50 AM
Or maybe not . . .

Now is not time for a letdown. If the Spurs thought the Jazz fans were wild in Game 4, they haven't seen nothing compared to what Game 6 would bring.

Get this damn Jazz monkey off the back of the franchise with a win. One more victory and the pain of the defeats in 1994, 1996 and 1998 will finally diminish.

One more.

Believe.

Pop better be on their ass. They haven't exactly been that stellar in home elimination games in recent memory (Game 5 '03 WCF, Game 6 '05 Finals, & Game 7 '06 WCSF come to mind).

nkdlunch
05-30-2007, 09:04 AM
this madness ends tonight

GrandeDavid
05-30-2007, 09:07 AM
I was at that game with a buddy from Sao Paulo. The Spurs were so in control in coasting that we engaged in conversation in the 4th and suddenly we looked up and were like "yikes". I was pretty shocked by that loss. It was also the only and last game I've not been fully attentive to from the opening tip to the final buzzer. I make noise now! :lol

GrandeDavid
05-30-2007, 09:08 AM
Also, I think the Spurs really loathe the idea of hauling back to Utah for a Game 6. I think the Spurs will come fully prepared to close this thing out. Utah will have to play over their heads to win this one with a dose of luck, which I think is plausible but unlikely.

Summers
05-30-2007, 09:24 AM
Woot! I believe! And I love your siggy, Timvp! :)

Brutalis
05-30-2007, 09:32 AM
My heart is POUNDING.

GO SPURS GO

easjer
05-30-2007, 09:34 AM
I think they learned their lesson that year. Has it happened again since then that the Spurs weren't able to close it out (forgetting the 2005 Finals, which was a slightly different story imo)?

They know what they need to do. Just like with Pheonix - you don't want to open up that possibility. You don't want to be back on their court. You don't want any more shit thrown at you. Get the job done.

SequSpur
05-30-2007, 09:44 AM
Got damn.. you guys have no confidence.. this shit was over before it started...

utah can't hang with SA... WTF is wrong with you wusses?

Pull down your pants and check yourself.

bigfan
05-30-2007, 09:56 AM
Not worried about Utah, I just want to make sure our team comes out with fire. We know Utah is a well coached team and they are going to play hard tonight. We need to put the hammer down on them early, one of those lead all thru the game games. Go Spurs Go!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ed Helicopter Jones
05-30-2007, 11:02 AM
Why did you have to remind me of that game?!!! :pctoss

FromWayDowntown
05-30-2007, 11:14 AM
I think they learned their lesson that year. Has it happened again since then that the Spurs weren't able to close it out (forgetting the 2005 Finals, which was a slightly different story imo)?

The Spurs have closed out a few series at home since that misadventure, but they've also given in with a couple of home put-away games in the recent past.

Game 6 of the 2005 Finals is the prime example, perhaps, but the Spurs also had a chance to sweep out Phoenix in Game 4 of the 2005 WCF and played poorly down the stretch to lose that game. There's also the Game 7 put-away opportunity that turned into a debacle against Dallas last year.

Put-away games are always difficult games to win for so many reasons, but the Spurs have been puzzlingly ineffective at home in those situations of late.

FromWayDowntown
05-30-2007, 11:17 AM
Why did you have to remind me of that game?!!! :pctoss

When the Spurs won on Monday, I immediately thought of Game 5 of the 2003 WCF. I hope the guts of this team did as well and stays focused on the task at hand.

If it's any consolation, though, Finley was absolutely huge in that game.

cherylsteele
05-30-2007, 12:52 PM
KSAT sports just said that D Williams is in an ankle type brace, not sure if he is going to play??

When did it happen to him?
story (http://www.ksat.com/spurs-playoff/13413084/detail.html)

TampaDude
05-30-2007, 12:58 PM
Spurs will close it out tonight. Spurs in 5. BOOK IT!!!

MadDog73
05-30-2007, 01:01 PM
Sorry, I just don't see the similarity.

Tony is better now. We have better perimeter scorers. And, most importantly, we haven't let a team back into a series yet. (After 1st loss vs Nuggets, we go on and win 4. After winning critical Game 5 in PHX, we close it out in 6).

Spurs win tonight. Book it.

SAGambler
05-30-2007, 01:10 PM
Have the Jazz ever come back from being down 3-1?

I believe they said only 8 teams have ever come back from a 3-1 deficit.

I certainly hope the Spurs send the Jazz packing tonight.

But nothing is for certain until that final buzzer sounds and the Spurs score is greater than the Jazz score.

I know we are in the drivers seat and sometimes that can be a dangerous thing. Let's hope the Spurs don't go into this one thinking they have plenty of time to put it away.

I think there are two way tonight can go.

Jazz feel they still have a shot and come out super physical and try to bang up the Spurs big 3, keep it close, and the Spurs eke out a close game........or

They have already resigned themselves to "go fishing" and won't put up much of a fight at all.

ducks
05-30-2007, 01:47 PM
get it done

lefty
05-30-2007, 01:53 PM
We've never clinched the WCF at home (1999, 2003, 2005) ; is that a trend ?

angel_luv
05-30-2007, 01:58 PM
1 Team . 1 Goal. 4 Quarters.

Let's do this!

Go Spurs!

I believe!

:cheer :spin :cheer

foodie2
05-30-2007, 02:10 PM
Williams arrived at Utah's shoot-around Wednesday morning wearing a large walking boot protecting his injured foot -- not ankle, as the team reported Tuesday. He declined to be interviewed, except to say, "We'll see," when asked whether he expected to play.

uh oh, another *.

Bruno
05-30-2007, 02:23 PM
Another doomsday thread. :)
Before each game, we have a "Spurs should be carefull tonight" thread.

I have the feeling that since Spurs are favorites to win it all, Spurs fans main goal is not to be cocky, overconfident or jinx Spurs.

Screw that, let's face the reality :
Spurs will likely win tonight. They are better than Jazz and they are at home.
Spurs will likely win their fourth ring. They are better than Detroit or Cleveland and will have HCA.
BB is a sport and everything can happen but Spurs are in a great position to reach the final and to win it all this year.

Budkin
05-30-2007, 02:24 PM
We're going to stomp the life out of the Jazz tonight and say goodbye to the Jazz trolls for good.

makedamnsure
05-30-2007, 02:26 PM
we need 5 wins to get 4. Let's make it 4 for 4 after tonight.

BigBeezie
05-30-2007, 02:31 PM
The Spurs can make it happen tonight.

VaSpursFan
05-30-2007, 02:32 PM
thankfully, the utah jazz threw shit and generally disrespected us so i'm sure the spurs don't want to close out the jazz on their homecourt. who knows what they would throw then

sammy
05-30-2007, 02:36 PM
Spurs by Double Digits! On to the Finals!

duncan228
05-30-2007, 02:39 PM
Everything happens as it should. If they don't win here then they deserve the game 6 battle that will be on their hands. They know that, and they have the tools to shut this thing down now.

Well said. They can do it, no excuses if they don't.
Letting the Jazz think they have even the slightest chance is a mistake.
Going back to Utah will be horrible. No one (except the Jazz) wants to see that.

Spurs end this tonight. For their own good.

timvp
05-30-2007, 03:10 PM
Another doomsday thread. :)
Before each game, we have a "Spurs should be carefull tonight" thread.

I have the feeling that since Spurs are favorites to win it all, Spurs fans main goal is not to be cocky, overconfident or jinx Spurs.

Screw that, let's face the reality :
Spurs will likely win tonight. They are better than Jazz and they are at home.
Spurs will likely win their fourth ring. They are better than Detroit or Cleveland and will have HCA.
BB is a sport and everything can happen but Spurs are in a great position to reach the final and to win it all this year.

Aren't you from France? That isn't a very French like viewpoint :)

Bruno
05-30-2007, 03:38 PM
Aren't you from France? That isn't a very French like viewpoint :)

:depressed
You're right, I've lost all my french mojo.
I need some help.
Please master T park, help me to find my "I give up" attitude back. :)

Budkin
05-30-2007, 03:43 PM
I think Spurs fans are so cautious because we've been burned so many times in our history and people try and temper their expectations. But fuck it. Losing will suck no matter how you go into the game so you might as well expect our team to do well. And I feel like this is their time.

MadDog73
05-30-2007, 04:13 PM
We've never clinched the WCF at home (1999, 2003, 2005) ; is that a trend ?

First time for everything!