PDA

View Full Version : Spurs-Jazz notebook: Popovich: Utah fans left poor impression

Spurs Brazil
05-30-2007, 10:01 AM
Spurs-Jazz notebook: Popovich: Utah fans left poor impression

Web Posted: 05/29/2007 11:43 PM CDT

Johnny Ludden
Express-News

The Spurs weren't too happy about having to exit in a hailstorm of water, beer and other debris thrown by Utah fans after Monday's game.
As soon as coach Gregg Popovich noticed the players ducking for cover, he immediately ushered the team off the floor at the expense of ESPN losing its usual post-game interview.

"I didn't see any sense in keeping our players on the court to be pummeled with stuff from their fans," Popovich said. "It's unfortunate because it's always a few people who create a poor impression. It didn't reflect well on Salt Lake City, that's for sure.

"On balance, we know there are idiots in every town who can act like that. We saw some of them (Monday) night."

Among the debris thrown at the Spurs was a metal lip-balm container.

"I got hit on the side of the head by something, but I don't know what it was," Robert Horry said. "I just walked off the court."

One fan wearing a "True Blue" T-shirt wrapped around his head like a turban tried to douse the Spurs in water only to miss, instead drenching a female Jazz fan standing above the tunnel.

"I got a little beer and popcorn in my face, but that's OK," Tony Parker said.

Finals date: The Cleveland Cavaliers' 91-87 victory over the Detroit Pistons on Tuesday ensures a Game 6 in the Eastern Conference finals. That means the NBA Finals will start on June 7, not June 5.

Presti news: Spurs assistant general manager Sam Presti is expected to meet with Seattle president of basketball operations Lenny Wilkens within the next few days during the pre-draft camp in Orlando, Fla.

The Sonics are interested in speaking with Presti about their general manager's job.

Ginobili says calf OK: Manu Ginobili had his right calf wrapped in ice as he left the locker room Monday. He said his calf tightened during the second half but expects to be fine to play tonight.

Hungry Duncan: Utah center Mehmet Okur has done a good job of making Tim Duncan work in the past two games. Duncan averaged 17.5 points and 6.5 turnovers in Games 3 and 4.

"I think he was still a little bit frustrated, but he's our leader, and he came out and played hard," Horry said of Duncan. "That's part of it. Sometimes, opponents are going to frustrate you, sometimes coaches are going to frustrate you, sometimes teammates are even going to frustrate you. But he always comes out and plays hard and stays hungry."

Record set: The Spurs set a franchise playoff record with the 19 free throws they made in the fourth quarter. Their 25 free-throw attempts in the quarter tied another record.

Sloan says he didn't lose it: Utah coach Jerry Sloan said he was "calm" during the conversation that led to his Game 4 ejection.

"I wasn't frustrated," Sloan said. "I looked (referee Steve Javie) right in the eye and said what I had to say."

Fisher away, Williams mum: Neither of Utah's starting guards spoke to the media Tuesday, for different reasons. Derek Fisher, who was ejected from Game 4 in the fourth quarter, was given permission to leave town to be with his daughter, who is undergoing treatments for eye cancer. He is expected to return to the team in time for Game 5.

Deron Williams left the practice court quickly after media members arrived Tuesday. A Jazz spokesman said Williams was receiving treatments on a mild right ankle sprain, which he suffered late in Game 4.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
[email protected]

Marcus Bryant
05-30-2007, 10:14 AM
One fan wearing a "True Blue" T-shirt wrapped around his head like a turban tried to douse the Spurs in water only to miss, instead drenching a female Jazz fan standing above the tunnel.

Nice.

I see Presti's meeting with Wilkens so a price can be set for him when he agrees to become Spurs' GM.

L.I.T
05-30-2007, 10:14 AM
Old news, but I seriously wonder if the chance to build around Oden or Durant will be persuasive enough for Presti to leave. He'll probably want final say over all personnel decisions, something I don't think Wilkens will willingly cede.

In other news...nothing much new. Game get here now.