PDA

View Full Version : Blazers Are NOT Trying to Trade For Mike Conley Jr.

Mr.Bottomtooth
05-30-2007, 11:53 AM
Oden-Conley not a package
Wednesday, May 30, 2007
O K. Greg Oden is the man. Ohio State teammate and friend Michael Conley Jr. is the man beside the man. And rookie sports agent and over-involved father Michael Conley Sr. is the man behind the man beside the man.

Got all that?

Great.

Clip out that first paragraph and keep it for reference for the next month because you're going to need to remember those three things whenever you hear a rumbling or rumor involving the Trail Blazers, Oden and either of the Conleys.

Depending on whom you believe, the Trail Blazers are either obsessed, or mildly interested, in acquiring a second NBA draft lottery pick they allegedly plan to use to acquire Conley Jr., who has played alongside Oden since junior high.

The Blazers suspect most of the misinformation flying around about their phantom pursuit of Conley Jr. is coming from Camp Conley, which is run by Conley Sr. There is no pursuit, the Blazers said. They like Conley Jr., but they like their young nucleus even more. While it's true, a team source said, that the Blazers had a conversation with the Atlanta Hawks about their No. 3 pick, it was a single conversation that went nowhere fast.

The Hawks apparently wanted two young Blazers (LaMarcus Aldridge and Jarrett Jack) along with Portland's first pick in 2008 as part of the trade. And I'm thinking the Blazers nodded and moved on because a source close to that phone call said, "I'm sure Greg Oden will become good friends with Brandon Roy."

I have never met Conley Sr. But I've heard he's an intelligent, caring, pleasant man. I know he ran track at Arkansas and that he was the Olympic gold medalist in 1992 in the triple jump. And that he spent the last seven years working with USA Track and Field.

Then, he recently decided to head into the sports agent business with Oden as his prized client. He started a management group (MAC Management Group) and recently partnered with an established agency (BDA Sports Management). I suspect Conley Sr. cares immensely for his son, and for Oden. He coached them both since they were in the sixth grade. And he's repeatedly said that he believes he's doing what is best for them.

But what Conley Sr. is missing is what's best for the Blazers. I suspect it does not include his son.

http://www.oregonlive.com/sports/oregonian/john_canzano/index.ssf?/base/sports/118049732093970.xml&coll=7

AFBlue
05-30-2007, 12:05 PM
F*ing Atlanta Hawks going overboard! Way to kill any chance at receiving value for your pick Billy Knight. Even if the Blazers wanted to revisit that possibility, I doubt they now go back to the Hawks. FIRE BILLY KNIGHT!