PDA

View Full Version : Williams and Fisher game-time decisions tonight

Dipship31
05-30-2007, 12:48 PM
Williams, Fisher game-time decisions for Game 5
By JAIME ARON, AP Sports Writer
May 30, 2007

SAN ANTONIO (AP) -- The Utah Jazz starting backcourt of Deron Williams and Derek Fisher could miss Game 5 of the Western Conference finals against the San Antonio Spurs on Wednesday night.

Williams has a sprained right foot. Fisher was in New York on Wednesday morning while his infant daughter underwent a procedure for a rare eye condition. He was expected to arrive in the afternoon, but any delay could prevent him from making the tip-off.

The status of both players will be determined at game time. The likely replacements are Dee Brown, who has played only four minutes this series, and Gordan Giricek.

"I can't count on anybody until we get in the building and they put their uniform on," Jazz coach Jerry Sloan said. "If they can't, then we'll count on someone else. That's the way it's supposed to be."

Missing either could be a stiff blow to the Jazz, who were trailing the series 3-1 and facing elimination.

Williams is averaging a team-best 29.5 points and 9.3 assists this series. Fisher is averaging only 7.3 points per game and shooting 8-of-29, but he's averaging 38 minutes and is the team's most proven playoff performer.

Brown is the third-string point guard, with Williams and Fisher the top two. So Brown would start only if Williams and Fisher are out. If either one is there, Giricek probably would start at shooting guard.

Williams arrived at Utah's shoot-around Wednesday morning wearing a large walking boot protecting his injured foot -- not ankle, as the team reported Tuesday. He declined to be interviewed, except to say, "We'll see," when asked whether he expected to play.

Williams also was a game-time decision for Game 4 because of a stomach ailment, but played 38 minutes and scored a team-best 27 points.

Fisher's infant daughter Tatum is receiving treatment for her left eye. He left the team in the second round of the playoffs for an operation in New York, then returned to the team during the third quarter of Game 2 of a second-round series against Golden State. His dramatic arrival, and his five points in overtime, helped the Jazz win that game.

The club announced after Game 4 in Salt Lake City on Monday night that Fisher was leaving the team to be with Tatum during further treatment. Team spokeswoman Cindy Edman said the Fishers had a doctor's appointment Tuesday and a procedure Wednesday morning.

"I wrote him a text last night and he sounded like things were doing well," forward Carlos Boozer said. "He said he'd be back today. So hopefully everything will be all right and we'll see him tonight."

fred33
05-30-2007, 12:50 PM
big intox for williams maybe true for fisher

sa_butta
05-30-2007, 12:50 PM
I wish them both well, and I hope they are both able to play for the last game of their season.

DfendtheStar
05-30-2007, 12:52 PM
that and i really dont want to hear the lame excuses we heard in the Pheonix series that two of thier players werent able to play so the Spurs should win

Aggie Hoopsfan
05-30-2007, 12:55 PM
Rope-a-dope.

smeagol
05-30-2007, 12:56 PM
I hope and pray Fisher's kid comes out well from this ordeal.

MI21
05-30-2007, 01:00 PM
Williams will play... he seems tough.

If he plays, Utah have a decent shot. If not, they are fucked.

smrattler
Good luck to Fish and his family. Hope that works out ok and if he can get back in time to play it would be nice.

But Deron Willima is being nothing short of a drama queen already. He now has to top himself every night. If they made it to a game 6, he might walk around with crutches and a full cast on his "broken leg" for two days and be a game time decision to score 30 points. Then he'd talk about having to overcome losing 80% of his leg mass. I'm not buying this one bit.

AFBlue
If it's true, Spurs will "mail in" this series tonight...

I don't care how much heart these guys show, without Williams and/or Fisher, they've got no chance.

Having said that, both will show and both will play...these injuries seem to heal themselves in the playoffs.

boutons_
05-30-2007, 01:01 PM
no asterisks, no excuses, I want them both there.

stepmonkey
05-30-2007, 01:02 PM

Agreed. Fisher's feeble attempts at thuggery on Manu Monday night were pathetic, but as the father of a six year old daughter myself, I can't help but wish his daughter all the best and pray for her recovery.

Budkin
05-30-2007, 01:06 PM
Both will play. Their season is on the line.

Marcus Bryant
05-30-2007, 01:08 PM
Shit like this was last effective in the 1921 Northern Conference Finals when the Providence Mayflowers' star 5'2" power forward Thaddeus Humperdink was listed as a game time decision due to "consumption"....

Oh, Gee!!
05-30-2007, 01:10 PM
put an asterisk on this series as well

SAGambler
05-30-2007, 01:15 PM
Williams will play... he seems tough.

If he plays, Utah have a decent shot. If not, they are fucked.

Well, I know he was kind of limping a bit the other night. Which brings a question.

With the statisticalk odds so stacked against you, do you play an already injured player who looks to be the face of your franchise for years to come, and risk an even worse injury.......Or do you just fold your hand...put some players on the court to call it a game.....and wait for next year?

degenerate_gambler
05-30-2007, 01:17 PM
fisher...yeah he's got his kid and her medical problems so that's cool.

but williams????

the fucker's playing possum. he didn't look sick monday nite.

sa_butta
05-30-2007, 01:18 PM
put an asterisk on this series as wellIf you go back you could probably put an asterik on every series for one reason or another. Point is the hardware does not have an asterik.

Supergirl
05-30-2007, 01:19 PM
Unless Deron physically cannot walk onto the court, no WAY does he miss this game.

I doubt Fish does either.

VaSpursFan
05-30-2007, 01:20 PM
bullshit, williams plays...fisher may be doubtful. he shouldn't play as his family and the health of his daughter is more important. he really should be selfish and do what's right by his fam.

Kori Ellis
05-30-2007, 01:21 PM
I hope all is well with Fisher's baby and he makes it back.

As for Williams, you don't miss an elimination game for a sprain. So I'm sure he'll play.

ducks
05-30-2007, 01:31 PM
williams is being a pussy

Spurs Dynasty 21
05-30-2007, 01:39 PM
Williams WILL play

I'm tired of this bullshit the media/Jazz try to do, he had a lesser chance to play in GM4 so why would he miss GM5?

twentyone
05-30-2007, 01:39 PM
Shit like this was last effective in the 1921 Northern Conference Finals when the Providence Mayflowers' star 5'2" power forward Thaddeus Humperdink was listed as a game time decision due to "consumption"....

This cannot be overstated enough. But if they don't show up (fat chance) then I hope we get a kind of Harlem Globetrotters show with half court no look 3's, spring board dunks, fireworks and of course break dancing, ooh ooh and don't forget the music! I love the music! :downspin:

BeerIsGood!
05-30-2007, 01:45 PM
I know Williams will play. There's no question, and we'll see quickly how much he's hurting by his lateral movemement. TP or whoever he's guarding should test that quickly and see if he can slide to defend.

I hope Fisher is playing from the tip-off because that would mean everything went fine with his daughter and she was well enough for him to leave to play.

MoSpur
05-30-2007, 01:51 PM
Williams is kind of getting on my nerves already. Just play and shutup.

Mavs<Spurs
05-30-2007, 01:58 PM

Me too.

I can't imagine what he is going through.

And this is a lot more important than any mistakes he made in game 4 in terms of how he acted.

In his situation, how would I treat others?

So, I only wish good things, no great things, for him and his daughter and family,

50 cent
05-30-2007, 02:26 PM
I wonder if the bad weather will have an affect on Fisher making it back.

It's been pouring here in Dallas. What's it like in SA?

foodie2
05-30-2007, 02:34 PM
Has Williams blamed his foot owie on Bowen yet?

Mavs<Spurs
05-30-2007, 02:41 PM

A few clouds, not much else.

No weather here to speak of.

ObiwanGinobili
05-30-2007, 02:52 PM

Me too. My daughters are 3 and 19 months, and the thought of going thru somethign like that with them...... I can;t even imagine.
Big props to Fisher - he's been there for his team and for his family. Burning both ends and hasn;t collapsed yet.

Kobulingam
05-30-2007, 02:58 PM
Williams is the Jazz. So he will be playing.

Darkwaters
05-30-2007, 03:00 PM
Pull out your asterisks...if either Williams or Fisher doesn't play then this series cannot be considered legit!

ChumpDumper
05-30-2007, 03:20 PM
So Deron's foot has the shits now?

dimsah
05-30-2007, 03:21 PM
I thought Fisher's daughter had already had the procedure and she was in recovery?
Either way, I hope they get through it without any complications.

VaSpursFan
05-30-2007, 03:24 PM
So Deron's foot has the shits now?

:lol :lol :lol :lol :toast

timvp
05-30-2007, 03:30 PM
The Jazz have always listed their players as game time decisions against the Spurs in the playoffs. Even John Stockton himself.

Not sure if the Spurs continue to buy it after 13 years.

cherylsteele
05-30-2007, 03:36 PM
When during the game did Williams hurt his foot? I don't remember it happening.

BigBeezie
05-30-2007, 03:40 PM
I hope they both come in and play the entire game. I want them both to feel this loss.

No excuses!!!

smrattler
05-30-2007, 03:47 PM

You in the Dallas area too? Cool, didn't seem like too many Spurs fan ST posters are living in this area.

degenerate_gambler
05-30-2007, 03:50 PM
When during the game did Williams hurt his foot? I don't remember it happening.

he doesn't either..

Budkin
05-30-2007, 04:33 PM
This is Jerry Sloan trying desperately to get into the Spurs heads. :lol

703 Spurz
05-30-2007, 04:36 PM
fisher...yeah he's got his kid and her medical problems so that's cool.

but williams????

the fucker's playing possum. he didn't look sick monday nite.

I agree. That jackass wasn't sick at all and he still lost :lol

ChumpDumper
05-30-2007, 05:02 PM
WOAI just showed Williams in an iron lung at the AT&T.

ATXSPUR
05-30-2007, 05:07 PM
omg....do the jazz think they are going to catch us off guard or something? Williams will play. As for Fisher I hope everything goes well with his daughter.

bigfan
05-30-2007, 05:30 PM
Fisher I could understand missing the game, but its for a good excuse. Hope it works out for him either way. Re:Deron, this may be some sorta CIA crap where he comes in and plays like a badass. That kid is a damn good player. I think the Spurs can put them away but they cant afford to doze thru this one. Stomp their blurple ass.