PDA

View Full Version : Confessions of a Spurs Fan

BigBeezie
05-30-2007, 04:26 PM
What makes you a Spurs fan and keeps you cheering for them? For me it is that each game is bigger than the next. I have probably spent over $10,000 on Spurs tickets and could obviously use that money to invest in something...but I'm obsessed with this team!

Go Spurs Go!!! :spin

duncan228
05-30-2007, 04:28 PM
What makes me a Spurs fan? And keeps me cheering for them?

Tim Duncan.

Budkin
05-30-2007, 04:29 PM
I their style, coach Pop's no nonsense attitude, and the way the players buy into the system for the benefit of the team. Oh yeah, Timmy, Manu, and TP don't hurt either.

Juice
05-30-2007, 04:30 PM
I like the spurs new 'bad boy' image. except i get woozy at the sight of blood.

The_Worlds_finest
I snuck a 750ml of Jim Beam in the att center during a timberwolves game in 04 my bud and I finished it mid way through the 4th; talk about being shit faced... :toast

StrangeCheez
What makes me a Spurs fan? They're my home team.
What keeps me cheering for them? They're still playing.

Dipship31
05-30-2007, 04:31 PM
What makes me a Spurs fan? They're my home team.
What keeps me cheering for them? They're still playing.

This should be everyone's response unless they don't live in the area of a team.

easjer
05-30-2007, 04:32 PM
What makes me a Spurs fan?

I'd say Tim Duncan, but I was a fan before he came and will remain a fan after he's gone. He still plays a big role. I'd say it my hometown team, but more than that - it's the way they play and they way they act both on and off the court.

What keeps me cheering for them?

All of the above? And the fact that they continue to win helps.

mrsmaalox
05-30-2007, 04:49 PM
What makes me a Spurs fan? In 2003 we moved here from Wash. D.C and my husband was immediately deployed to Iraq. My way too serious pre-teen son was so afraid for his dad he became almost catatonic with depression. I was desparately searching for something in addition to medication and counselors to help my son, and on a whim bought us tickets to the Spurs vs. Suns game. It may sound trite, but it was a life changing event for my son. As the months passed and my son's interest in the Spurs increased, he grew stronger and was eventually healed. I know it's coincidence, but the Spurs took the place of the depression. Dad came home safe and he and our son have forged an incredible relationship thru a common interest--Spurs and Basketball. Yea it's a boo hoo story, but I will be a fan forever!!!!

makedamnsure
05-30-2007, 04:51 PM
They're the team I was raised into. I can't help but cheer for them.

DarrinS
05-30-2007, 04:51 PM
Only professional sports team in my home town.

P.S. We need a pro football team here. Being a Cowboys fan "by default" is lame.

FromWayDowntown
05-30-2007, 04:54 PM
After 29 years, there's no reason to stop now.

duncan228
05-30-2007, 04:56 PM
What makes me a Spurs fan? In 2003 we moved here from Wash. D.C and my husband was immediately deployed to Iraq. My way too serious pre-teen son was so afraid for his dad he became almost catatonic with depression. I was desparately searching for something in addition to medication and counselors to help my son, and on a whim bought us tickets to the Spurs vs. Suns game. It may sound trite, but it was a life changing event for my son. As the months passed and my son's interest in the Spurs increased, he grew stronger and was eventually healed. I know it's coincidence, but the Spurs took the place of the depression. Dad came home safe and he and our son have forged an incredible relationship thru a common interest--Spurs and Basketball. Yea it's a boo hoo story, but I will be a fan forever!!!!

Nice story. I'm glad for your son and your family. And especially glad your husband came home safely.

Sports can do wonders for people, whether you play them or cheer for them.

Winery
05-30-2007, 05:00 PM
Because there arnt that many fans to crowd the AT&T center. Its easy to sneak from the nose bleeds to the floor seats when 500 people dont show!! That...now THATS why I'm a Spurs fan!! lol j/k

J.T.
05-30-2007, 05:08 PM
I moved to San Antonio in the early 90s when I was a wee lad still in elementary school. Watching the Spurs was just something cool to do until me and my friends found the giant rock that David Robinson was carved out of, then we were hooked for life. A few years later this Tim Duncan character showed up. That guy's pretty good, if you like seven foot, 260 pound power forwards, 3 time NBA champion.

Ginobili used to give me a reason to get up in the morning, until the bald spot.

romain.star
05-30-2007, 05:12 PM
because of Vinny del negro and Mark Cuban

manuchick
05-30-2007, 05:24 PM
I have been a spurs fan since I moved here in 1981 I loved daivd and Sean.I loved them as players and as just all around nice guy. I love the team now with Tony Tim and my man Manu. Kick the Jazz but tonight!!!! :clap :clap :lol

duncanchick21
05-30-2007, 05:37 PM
Reasons for being a Spurs Fan:
TIM DUNCAN
POP
TONY PARKER
MANU GINOBILI
BRUCE BOWEN
FAB OBERTO
TEAMWORK

:spin :clap :downspin: :flag: :flag:

timvp
05-30-2007, 05:40 PM
Peter Holt pays me under the table.

timvp
05-30-2007, 05:40 PM
Peter Holt pays

:lmao

Jelly
05-30-2007, 05:54 PM

I love your story. I'll bet the Spurs would love to hear how they inspired your son and got him out of his depression. You should write to them.

BigBeezie
05-30-2007, 05:59 PM

You hear that everyone? The Spurs heal!!! We have proof right here!

Magic_Johnson
05-30-2007, 05:59 PM
what makes me spurs fan?
their players are CLASSY

ClingingMars
05-30-2007, 06:00 PM
Growing up as a kid I looked up to David Robinson. The guy was a class act, on and espicially off the court. When he retired, I just decided to keep following the team.

-Mars

BigBeezie
05-30-2007, 06:01 PM
Only professional sports team in my home town.

P.S. We need a pro football team here. Being a Cowboys fan "by default" is lame.

I agree with that... I'm not a Cowboys fan and instead followed the Oilers to Tennessee and cheer for Vince Young and the Titans.

I would love for the Chargers to come to San Antonio.

GrandeDavid
05-30-2007, 06:04 PM
What makes you a Spurs fan and keeps you cheering for them? For me it is that each game is bigger than the next. I have probably spent over $10,000 on Spurs tickets and could obviously use that money to invest in something...but I'm obsessed with this team!

Go Spurs Go!!! :spin

Wow, great topic but so many potential answers...

Well, history, for one. My strong desire for a Spurs championship started when David Robinson was a rookie and intensified through the nineties as he was often criticized for being soft. Then the tough playoff losses to Utah, and finally the drafting of Duncan. Spurs are in my blood now. I've gone to battle for them many, many times over the past couple of decades.

I also love the fact that we are a small market rising to the top, setting a worldwide example in success in sports.

I also know some of the players and personnel and they really are good guys.

Also, I love the Spurs for the attention they bring to San Antonio, a fast growing city. I love how the city is going and I love the fact that the Spurs are the most televized NBA team in Brazil.

GrandeDavid
05-30-2007, 06:06 PM

:clap

That is a fantastic story. If you haven't already, I wish you would tell this story to the Spurs org. I'm so glad to hear your son is doing well now, and God bless your husband and your family.

DarrinS
05-30-2007, 06:11 PM
I agree with that... I'm not a Cowboys fan and instead followed the Oilers to Tennessee and cheer for Vince Young and the Titans.

I would love for the Chargers to come to San Antonio.

I was an Oilers fan too. I couldn't really follow them to Tennesse (didn't seem right). But now, with Vince at the helm, I'm watching most of their games.

(don't tell anyone, but I secretly like the NY Jets :oops )

Jelly
05-30-2007, 06:12 PM
I'm a Spurs fan because I'm from San Antonio. The first games I went to were at Hemisphere Arena when I had a friend who had season tickets.... 2nd row center seats!!! I think they cost him $1,000 for the entire season. I wonder how much they'd go for now? :greedy
The Spurs back then (mid/late eighties) were amongst the worst in the league. But I loved them still. Then the Spurs started winning and my first favorite Spur was Sean Elliott. Even when our reign is over and we become like the Memphis Grizzlies, I'll be a Spurs fan forever.

BigBeezie
05-30-2007, 06:35 PM
I'm a Spurs fan because I'm from San Antonio. The first games I went to were at Hemisphere Arena when I had a friend who had season tickets.... 2nd row center seats!!! I think they cost him $1,000 for the entire season. I wonder how much they'd go for now? :greedy
The Spurs back then (mid/late eighties) were amongst the worst in the league. But I loved them still. Then the Spurs started winning and my first favorite Spur was Sean Elliott. Even when our reign is over and we become like the Memphis Grizzlies, I'll be a Spurs fan forever.

I don't think we will ever be as lowly as the Grizzlies. At some point in time, a new Coach will take over and I'm sure the Spurs will still have a job for Pop in an executive office. As soon as Pop witnesses the team stumble, he will then step in and save the day. Even if he is 75 years old! :p:

smeagol
05-30-2007, 06:37 PM
ST

smeagol
05-30-2007, 06:39 PM
. . . and MG