PDA

View Full Version : Boy, Is Duncan Getting Alot Of Press

duncan228
05-30-2007, 04:53 PM
Another one. By Dick Vitale. Short and sweet.

http://espn.go.com/dickvitale/070530duncan.html

Duncan one of the all-time greats
By Dick Vitale
SPECIAL TO ESPN.COM

I have always felt that Tim Duncan is one of the premier power forwards in the NBA. He is solid, steady, Mr. Fundamentals. Duncan does all the things needed to win and he wants the ball late in the game in crunch time.

He is not spectacular, yet you look at his hand and you see those championship rings, baby! He is out to add another one this time around!

I remember years ago there was an unsung player named Bob Pettit. He was a superstar and his people knew how great he was. The fans in the street did not know enough about him. If you polled the average fan in the street right now, I am not sure that many know about Duncan. They know about LeBron James, Kobe Bryant, Allen Iverson, guys who are more flashy and explosive.

Duncan is a low-key guy, very professional and he is a flat-out winner. There is no doubt that the media and his peers recognize how good he is.

Then there is the discussion of the best of the best power forwards of all-time. Names come up like Karl Malone, Elgin Baylor, and yes, Mr. Duncan. I also feel Elvin Hayes should be on that list. Some would throw Kevin McHale into the equation.

Baylor was really a combination forward, playing both the three and four slot because he was so agile and explosive. Malone was the prototype power forward. Don't forget Hayes, a really strong inside factor and a super scorer.

My friends, Duncan is right there with all of them. He is a classic winner, a guy who gets his shot, averages double-figures off the glass.

If Duncan can put another championship ring on his finger, maybe fans and the media will look at him more favorably among the top all-time power forwards.

makedamnsure
05-30-2007, 04:55 PM
during the series with Detroit in 05, ESPN named him the best PF ever

mardigan
05-30-2007, 04:57 PM
Reading this reminds me of reading my high school news papers sports section

Obstructed_View
Since everyone has been on the "Duncan is over the hill" train over the last couple of years, they must be amazed that he has re-emerged. Funny how that happens when a superstar doesn't blame his inability to dominate on injuries.

duncan228
during the series with Detroit in 05, ESPN named him the best PF ever

Without starting a war, he is in my opinion.

texasqb2
05-30-2007, 05:17 PM
Dick Vitale is a moron....everyone at least views Duncan as one of the best PFs of all-time, most already consider him the best including Jerry Sloan (who coached Malone)

Mark in Austin
05-30-2007, 05:35 PM
did Dicky V write that in 2003?

gtownspur
05-30-2007, 05:39 PM
Duncan > HAKEEM

duncan228
05-30-2007, 06:16 PM
did Dicky V write that in 2003?

I believe it's today.

boutons_
05-30-2007, 06:21 PM
NBA TV is filling up their hard-to-fill 24 hours with re-runs of Ahmahd Rashahd's little fluff job on Tim the Crucian. fwiw, it's pretty good, hadn't seen it in a year or so.

mikekim
05-30-2007, 06:22 PM
Reading this reminds me of reading my high school news papers sports section

duncan went to your high school?

michaelwcho
05-30-2007, 06:25 PM
I did a gig (I'm a guitarist) at an event where Dickie V was speaking a few weeks ago. He did his whole spiel, talking about his life and trying to relate how he became successful to these rich stockbrokers who had hired him. One of balding rich guys knew him, or played for him, at Rutgers. He had them going...then his friend had a heart attack! A rather downer way to end a speech and a gig... :(

wildbill2u
05-30-2007, 06:26 PM
Damn, how can we miss Elvin Hayes in the discussion. Hadn't thought about him during all this hooraw about great pwoer forwards. How quick we forget. Someday people will forget about Timmy too so let's enjoy him while we can.

DOMINATOR
05-30-2007, 06:34 PM
Duncan > HAKEEM
where the hell did that come from?

Marcus Bryant
05-30-2007, 06:44 PM
Well, you know, this being Duncan's last season per the internets it will be fun to see him end his career on top.