PDA

View Full Version : Reading the Tea Leaves

SPARKY
11-30-2004, 11:38 PM
Going into tonight's game the Spurs were ranked...

18th in NBA with 95.64 points per game scored
1st in NBA with 85.85 points scored against
1st in NBA with 9.78 points per game scoring differential

8th in NBA with field goal percentage of 45.1%
1st in NBA with field goal percentage of 41.1% against

13th in NBA with three point field goal percentage of 34.8%
29th in NBA with three point field goal percentage of 40.8% against

25th in NBA with free throw percentage of 71.0%
27th in NBA with free throw percentage of 78.0% against

9th in NBA with 22.00 assists per game
1st in NBA with 15.64 assists per game against
1st in NBA with assist differential of +6.35 per game

11th in NBA with 42.92 rebounds per game
9th in NBA with 40.14 rebounds per game against
6th in NBA with +2.78 rebounds per game differential

5th in NBA with 6.57 blocks per game
1st in NBA with 3.50 blocks per game against
2nd in NBA with block per game differential of +3.07

15th in NBA with 7.71 steals per game
18th in NBA with 7.71 steals per game against
16th in NBA with steal per game differential of 0

source (http://www.nba.com/statistics/sortable_team_statistics/sortable1.html)

The Spurs' team stats thusfar this season indicate a team which is built on defense as well as strong offensive execution. The defensive emphasis limits the Spurs' offensive output as the Spurs are built on strong defensive stands as well as on ball control. Much like in football the purpose is to limit your opponent's opportunities to score as well as to make the most of yours. This is borne out not only by the Spurs' team scoring, scoring allowed, and scoring differential, but also by the Spurs' ranking above average in field goal shooting percentage as well as currently having the lowest field goal shooting percentage allowed against in the NBA.

Interestingly, the Spurs rank next to dead last in 3 point shooting percentage against. This is indicative of the Spurs forcing opponents to shoot over their defense rather than attempt to attack. I think as the season wears on that the Spurs will improve in this department as their rotations improve and their opponents start to wear down.

The stat that really pops out at me are the total team assists stats. The Spurs are currently 9th in the NBA in assists per game but are 1st in assists allowed as well as 1st in assist differential per game. This shows that not only is the Spurs offense executing but that the Spurs' defense is interfering mightily with their opponents' execution. Going back to the football analogy this is definitely a good, though early, sign.

The rebounding stats are satisfactory. Most importantly the Spurs are close to the top in rebounding differential. With the Spurs shooting well there are less opportunities for them to gain offensive rebounds but they must be able to rebound well on the defensive glass given that their defense is yielding such a low FG% against.

The blocks stats are interesting because they are also indicative of a team which has a strong defense built on its interior as well as of a team which executes well on the offensive end and limits the opportunities of opponents to block them.

Areas of improvement are certainly 3 point shooting accuracy and free throw shooting.

But all in all, the Spurs are looking quite solid right now. I would say the most noticeable difference this season as compared to the last couple is the offensive execution. The Spurs are much more efficient at converting their possessions into scores. Should they improve from beyond the arc and at the line while maintaining their defensive performance then this team should be ready for championship competition come next June.

http://www.mygardenstone.com/gallery/images/525.jpg

Rummpd
11-30-2004, 11:42 PM
Oh the power of statistical inference!

Well done,

MadDoc

Dex
11-30-2004, 11:42 PM
4th in NBA with free throw percentage of 78.0% against

At least our free-throw shooting bug seems to affect our opponents, too.

SPARKY
11-30-2004, 11:43 PM
Actually that is 4th worst. I will change that.

timvp
11-30-2004, 11:44 PM
Very nice.

Welcome to the forum, Sparky.

:smokin

Dex
11-30-2004, 11:44 PM
:oops

SPARKY
11-30-2004, 11:53 PM
It's good to be here, timvp. :hat

As for the steals stats, I would say that indicates that the Spurs' defense is not predicated so much on simple ballhawking as it is on contesting every shot and forcing opponents into taking poor shots and/or into the shotblockers.

Offensively I think it is indicative of a Spurs' team which is running a motion O and as such is subject to have their fair share of turnovers.

timvp
11-30-2004, 11:57 PM
The Spurs' coaching staff are actually against going out and trying to steal the ball. They'd rather the Spurs stay between their man and the basket. That is how Manu was getting in trouble on defense ... by going for too many steals.

T Park
12-01-2004, 12:02 AM
exactly right,

when the SPurs overplay or try too hard to steal the ball, like in the third quarter tonight, they miss rotations and guys are open.

If they stay in front of therer man, and dont gamble on defense they are ok.

THat is the one thing that I think pisses off pop more than anything, is overanxious and gamble defense.

It doesnt work, it pays to stay calm and keep in front of your man.

Also, I liked how it seemed the Spurs knew JUST when to switch to a 3-2 and forced the Mavericks into bad passes.

AKA Dampier with his running pass to the blonde in section 223.

SequSpur
12-01-2004, 12:11 AM
Parker stole the ball on 3 straight possessions and then was called for a foul.

SPARKY
12-01-2004, 01:43 AM
It will be interesting to see how the Spurs match up against the Pistons this Friday. I don't remember offhand if Wallace will be back for that game but I hope so. That would make for a nice early season mark for the Spurs.

I want to see how the Spurs execute offensively against strong defensive teams. After Detroit they face Houston about a week later. Those two games should be good early season barometers for where this team is at.

Kori Ellis
12-01-2004, 01:47 AM
I don't remember offhand if Wallace will be back for that game but I hope so.

That will be his first game back.

Aggie Hoopsfan
12-01-2004, 01:57 AM

*sigh*

Dex
12-01-2004, 02:22 PM
Hey, we're keeping it above seventy.... :shootme

At least we're not last again. Imagine how bad those 5 teams who are shooting FTs WORSE THAN THE SPURS must feel.