05-31-2007, 12:17 AM
:rolleyes :rolleyes :rolleyes :rolleyes

Nuggets Fan
Mavs fan
Suns Fan
Jazz Fan

Mr. Body
05-31-2007, 12:22 AM
I definitely didn't think they had it. Especially after that crap offseason. I'm still not sure how they got to this point...

Viva Las Espuelas
05-31-2007, 12:25 AM
more than half the people on this board.

SilverPlayer
05-31-2007, 12:28 AM
I didn't think we would beat Dallas. I'm still not totally sure we would have. But having gotten them off our backs made the buckets come much easier.

And we still have a huge battle tested opponent to take down in order to celebrate anything.

LilMissSPURfect
05-31-2007, 12:30 AM
POISE and DETERMINATION....

E20
05-31-2007, 12:33 AM
I expect the Spurs to go 82-0 every season and win a championship, anything else is a letdown. :lol

jag
05-31-2007, 12:35 AM
http://arizonasportsfans.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=7

Cant_Be_Faded
05-31-2007, 12:36 AM
No matter how confident anyone is right now we would all be singing a very different tune if the GS Warriors had succumbed to the Dallas Mavericks as was expected.

If "have it" meant making it to the finals, I honestly did not think so with this lineup, that we would get past the best of the West, imo, this series proved how lucky the spurs were to avoid the Mavericks. The Suns have been the only true test to the spurs this playoff season. If the east is as weak as we all assume it will be "PUT THE FOURS UP I SAIIIDIDIDDDDDDD" come June :smokin

BeerIsGood!
05-31-2007, 12:46 AM
The Spurs need to address matchup problems with the Mavs in the offseason since that's still the one team we don't match up well against. That said, the way Dirk was pussying out of everything the Spurs would have taken the Mavs out if the Mavs found a way past Utah (which I don't know they would have).

goliath
05-31-2007, 01:00 AM
Back in mid-Febuary, I would say that most Spurs fans would have said the Spurs didnt have it

Kori Ellis
05-31-2007, 01:02 AM
I said they didn't have it.

Pop (and all of the Spurs) buy into the idea that they are on an 82+16 game journey. As fans, we want instant gratification. So when (for example) Oberto sucks in February, we can't see June. Fortunately, Pop can.

Most of us screamed and yelled around the trade deadline that the Spurs didn't find a way to upgrade. Meanwhile Pop rallied his troops and said ... these players are the ones we are rolling with.

Props to Pop and all the players, who see the big picture and the long-term better than fans can.

BeerIsGood!
05-31-2007, 01:05 AM

Pop (and all of the Spurs) buy into the idea that they are on an 82+16 game journey. As fans, we want instant gratification. So when (for example) Oberto sucks in February, we can't see June. Fortunately, Pop can.

Most of us screamed and yelled around the trade deadline that the Spurs didn't find a way to upgrade. Meanwhile Pop rallied his troops and said ... these players are the ones we are rolling with.

Props to Pop and all the players, who see the big picture and the long-term better than fans can.

I wonder how many fans will be bitching hard core again next year when the Spurs are going through more season growing pains? Hopefully we'll keep this in mind and try not to blow too much out of proportion. I was definitely guilty of that this year, but the LP and DVR still got a lot of use on every Spurs game no matter what.

SilverPlayer
05-31-2007, 01:18 AM

And they may have been right. We didn't have to face the Mavs. And this is by far are most shallow team we've ever had to get this far.

Make no mistake about it we still have some glaring holes to fill. Oberto has been a wonderful surprise, and it's been great to see Finley laying it all out there. He's been superb with his Momentum saving threes, and occasional hard nosed defense. But I still wish we had Corey Maggette.

G-Nob
05-31-2007, 01:21 AM
Those were the same people that haven't been paying attention to the perennial 2nd half season surge.

S-P-A-M

That's no one-hit wonder.

whottt
05-31-2007, 01:46 AM
Me...and I'm still saying it. I don't see it yet.

Either the Pistons or the Cavs will be the toughest matchup of the postseason...so best to wait before the coronation...

You've built up a lot of bad LeBron karma over the years ducks...I hope it doesn't come back on us now.

Anyway...I don't like the hole at SF...I don't trust Pop's substitutions and small ball fetish...and I don't trust Finley.

This Jazz series was easy because Pop didn't fuck with small ball for 10 minutes of every 4th quarter.

Budkin
05-31-2007, 02:03 AM
We are very fortunate that the Mavs got eliminated because it would have been a hell of a lot tougher for us to knock them off. Thanks again Warriors. 4 more wins baby!

Strike
05-31-2007, 03:02 AM
I expect the Spurs to go 82-0 every season and win a championship, anything else is a letdown. :lol

I wouldn't go THAT far :lol but I expect them to win the title every single year. I'm always super bummed when they don't.

Pistons < Spurs
05-31-2007, 06:54 AM
I have to say the Spurs impressed me once again.

While I was hopeful, and rooting for you guys all year, I had this lingering doubt that you could really pull it off. In the regular season, you guys looked very good, but at times inconsistent. Depth often looked to be a major issue.

I thought the physicality and athleticism of the Nuggets would really push you.

But you got through it in 5.

I thought the speed, scoring ability, and inside play of Amare would be a killer. Then all of the 'dirty' shit came up, and I saw the series getting out of control. But 2 things happened. Duncan applied his will on the Suns, refusing to lose, and more importantly, playoff Manu appeared.....which I really wasn't expecting.

The dismantling of Utah really surprised me. Not that you won ... but how easy you made it look. I honestly believed their size in Boozer, Memo and AK would give the Spurs D fits.

4, 6, 8 weeks ago, I did not see the Spurs turning up the intensity to the level they're at right now. They're playing like a true team, getting help from the big 3, huge timely buckets from Fin, and some terrific play from Oberto....who I thought was going to be the achilles heal. Hell, even Vaughn has been better!!!

Guess I shouldn't have doubted. Congrats on another Finals appearance.

ArgSpursFan
05-31-2007, 07:12 AM
who???many spurs fan in this board.I wonīt give names but,I would like that those Bushers show up right now,and have the balls big enough to admit it.Itīs all good though,we are on another NBA finals.

lebomb
05-31-2007, 07:25 AM
I admit I said there was noway they could win it all this year........I was wrong :depressed .......and I DAMN happy about that!!!!!!!!! :elephant

ArgSpursFan
05-31-2007, 07:42 AM
I have to say the Spurs impressed me once again.

While I was hopeful, and rooting for you guys all year, I had this lingering doubt that you could really pull it off. In the regular season, you guys looked very good, but at times inconsistent. Depth often looked to be a major issue.

I thought the physicality and athleticism of the Nuggets would really push you.

But you got through it in 5.

I thought the speed, scoring ability, and inside play of Amare would be a killer. Then all of the 'dirty' shit came up, and I saw the series getting out of control. But 2 things happened. Duncan applied his will on the Suns, refusing to lose, and more importantly, playoff Manu appeared.....which I really wasn't expecting.

The dismantling of Utah really surprised me. Not that you won ... but how easy you made it look. I honestly believed their size in Boozer, Memo and AK would give the Spurs D fits.

4, 6, 8 weeks ago, I did not see the Spurs turning up the intensity to the level they're at right now. They're playing like a true team, getting help from the big 3, huge timely buckets from Fin, and some terrific play from Oberto....who I thought was going to be the achilles heal. Hell, even Vaughn has been better!!!

Guess I shouldn't have doubted. Congrats on another Finals appearance.
great post dude.really kind of you.
But if you take a look at the teams spurs passed in the playoffs,like you said they are all diferents.Diferent way tof play,Diferent type of Players also.
So you have to give all the credit to Mr.Greg Popovich.
First:Coze He finds the way to transform the team type of play,adjusting to Diferents Offenses and Players.
and Second:coze He drafted or Picked every single player in the spurs roster besides Duncan.
He brought a skinig guy from Argentina,unknown back them in 1999 in the NBA,who happened to be Manu Ginobili.
Them He drafted This Kid from France called Tony Parker,Probably the player with more room to improve in his game in the spurs roster right now.He also brought Bowen,who spent some time playing in Europe coze there was no place for him in the NBA back them.
He also signed this old guy,at the age of 33 I belive,and all the media and even Spurs fans thought he was gonna be a bust,and you may remember him from the 05 finals,His name:Robert Horry.
And finally the last 2 great moves:He steals Finley from Cuban(awsome move IMO)and bring onboard Fabricio Oberto,another unknown Argie,who became a big part of the team on this playoffs run.
So I must say that the main reason why the spurs are so succesfull is Mr.Greg Popovich.

George Gervin's Afro
05-31-2007, 07:45 AM
I'm guilty. But I have seen the light!!

ArgSpursFan
05-31-2007, 07:53 AM
the spurs are pretty good when ginobili isn't sucking it up all over the court

that tells you exactly how importan Manu is for this team.

polandprzem
05-31-2007, 07:54 AM
I said they didn't

And it was looking like that. Many games they were winning the previous years they were loosing this year. They were outplayed outhustled and outeverything by the Mavs and Suns (Outrebounded by most teams, and rebs are what the spurs need to be successfull).

And I said that it would be a miracle and a strory to tell if the spurs accually will win in 2007*

* - Still they have not won the trophy

Btw. I predicted that they will win this year in ST prediction thread. I'm always on their side :) (Kori I think predicted the Suns to win it all) :p:

MannyIsGod
05-31-2007, 07:56 AM
I was really wrong. I didn't see this coming. I'm happy I was wrong. Obeto has been the biggest surprise ever.

spursfan09
05-31-2007, 08:05 AM
I think I know better than to count a team with Tim Duncan out. They had the ingredients all along they are just coming together at the right time.

boutons_
05-31-2007, 08:05 AM
On 20 Dec, Spurs had League-best 20-6 (63-19) on 20 Dec.

In the next 25 games through 11 Feb, Spurs go 13-12 (43-39),

to be 33-18 (53-29).

Was bad times for me Dec-Feb, as the Mavs and Suns had were tearing up the League as badly as the Spurs had collapsed. What was wrong? What was the future?

Then the huge turnaround. From 13 Feb - 20 Apr, Spurs go 25-6 (66-16),

(while still managing to lose @Bucks, Celts @ATT!!!, and @Pacers! Without those Ls, 28-3!),

.... to finish 58 - 24.

Spurs are now 11-4 in the playoffs (60-22).

Gros Membres!
05-31-2007, 08:12 AM
I definitely didn't think they had it. Especially after that crap offseason. I'm still not sure how they got to this point...
Golden State. Golden State.

Plus, TD playing at an MVP level, no significant injuries, and playing disciplined, team basketball.

SAGambler
05-31-2007, 09:14 AM
Every bandwagoner around.

We had the same team essentially that was one foul away from the finals and probably the championship last year, and yet when no "big trade" was made during the offseason or to beat the trade deadline, I never saw so many "woe is the Spurs" predictions in my life.

And even if they win the "ship", I'm guessing we'll hear these dire predictions again before next season unless of course we trade for a Kobe, KG, ONeal or something along those lines.

Oh, Gee!!
05-31-2007, 09:16 AM
:raises hand

cheguevara
05-31-2007, 09:18 AM
Waltonbuysme or someshit, what a piece of shit fan

cheguevara
05-31-2007, 09:19 AM
tlong:
"Denver in 5"
"Suns in 5"
"jazz in 6"

:rolleyes

tlongII
05-31-2007, 09:43 AM
I think ducks said it.

tlongII
05-31-2007, 09:44 AM
tlong:
"Denver in 5"
"Suns in 5"
"jazz in 6"

:rolleyes

Either the Cavs or Pistons will win the Finals in 6 games.

MannyIsGod
05-31-2007, 09:45 AM

We had the same team essentially that was one foul away from the finals and probably the championship last year, and yet when no "big trade" was made during the offseason or to beat the trade deadline, I never saw so many "woe is the Spurs" predictions in my life.

And even if they win the "ship", I'm guessing we'll hear these dire predictions again before next season unless of course we trade for a Kobe, KG, ONeal or something along those lines.:lol @ you calling some of us bandwagoners.

RuffnReadyOzStyle
05-31-2007, 09:52 AM
When I was in SA in January they definitely DIDN'T have it and I said so. Remember our conversations, Spurschick? We talked about how they were lacking something intangible, chemistry, and that JV needed to take over for Beno... (which happened weeks later)

Then, by the time they were 20-3 after the All-Star break and gelled as hell, I was starting to think they HAD it...

And by the 4th game of round 1 that was a DEFINITE (one instance is a point, two a line and three a pattern - by then they had won 3 consecutive games by showing 4th quarter execution and poise, and that's what champion teams do).

The rest is history!

:danceclub

PS We haven't won anything yet, but barring major injury, I have a feeling we will - these guys are simply playing superb basketball most of the time, and I don't see why they won't keep it up.

SpursFanFirst
05-31-2007, 09:53 AM
Man alive...my mind just keeps going back to midseason when Pop had to sit everyone down to say that, if they were going to win, they were going to do it with the team that they had.
That didn't sit well with a lot of people here.
Whew! What a great turn of events! :cheer

ATRAIN
I never had a doubt at all

tmtcsc
I never said they didn't have it, but I sure as hell said they needed to make a trade or some sort of drastic adjustment. They were playing so bad and Bruce wasn't Bruce. Players were floating around and didn't seem focused.

I still remember us playing with only 4 guys on the court. It took the other team to notice and bring it up to the refs. That was the low point of the season for me.

EVAY
05-31-2007, 10:30 AM
:rolleyes :rolleyes :rolleyes :rolleyes
I'm one who didn't think they had it...for me it had nothing to do with personnel though. I aways thought we had the talent....I agree with Kori that during the 82 game season, I didn't see it coming. Primarily, I thought we lacked the mental and/or physical toughness during the regular season. We just didn't seem to CARE very much whether we won or not...and that always makes me nuts. Kori is right that Pop sees it as 82 and 16. Season ticket holders, though, see it as 41 expensive nights that every else keeps calling "not the real season". Then we pay extra for the postseason...Averaged out, it makes the real season tickets HUGELY expensive for inconsistent play. Having said all that, I hope the spurs go on, but don't really feel they have to in order to have had a successful season. They have had a successful season already, IMO, because we have really seen them play with heart in the last few weeks. GO Spurs GO.

41times
05-31-2007, 11:23 AM

Now here is a level headed thinker. The Spurs were 1 foul away from winning a title last year. So why fuk up the team this year by making big trades.

The only enemy of the Spurs is Age. As long as Age does not get this group the Spurs will be a contender every single year. Book it.

DDS4
05-31-2007, 11:45 AM
Now here is a level headed thinker. The Spurs were 1 foul away from winning a title last year. So why fuk up the team this year by making big trades.

The only enemy of the Spurs is Age. As long as Age does not get this group the Spurs will be a contender every single year. Book it.

I think we have about 3-4 years left before Tim starts to decline noticably.

SpurYank
05-31-2007, 11:51 AM
Only almost everybody who posts here. Of course, except me.

angel_luv
05-31-2007, 12:16 PM
Certainly not me. I'm all about the Believe. :)

smeagol
05-31-2007, 12:18 PM
Certainly not me. I'm all about the Believe. :)
Likewise :smokin

td4mvp21
05-31-2007, 12:25 PM
I didn't think we did. There were times when I didn't think the Spurs would get out of the first round. The Spurs were tested from the beginning of the playoffs on how well they can play as a team, their defense, and their rebounding-all concerns during the regular season. They went up against two of the best rebounding teams in the league, they went up against three offensively powerful teams, and they had to face Phoenix without homecourt. They earned everything they got this postseason. I think we could have beaten the Mavs, too, with the way we are playing. But, in my opinion, we were playing the best possible team in the WCF's. Utah was a good opponent, the Spurs were just way better. I really feel stupid for all the times I doubted the Spurs. It just goes to show that you can't always base the postseason on the regular season-something we preached yet seldom practiced. At least in my case.

MadDog73
05-31-2007, 12:29 PM
And they may have been right. We didn't have to face the Mavs. And this is by far are most shallow team we've ever had to get this far.

Make no mistake about it we still have some glaring holes to fill. Oberto has been a wonderful surprise, and it's been great to see Finley laying it all out there. He's been superb with his Momentum saving threes, and occasional hard nosed defense. But I still wish we had Corey Maggette.

"Most shallow team"?!?

Are you kidding me? This is the deepest team we've ever had! And this is probably one of the easiest playoffs we've ever had because of it.

Mr. Body
05-31-2007, 12:33 PM
"Most shallow team"?!?

Are you kidding me? This is the deepest team we've ever had! And this is probably one of the easiest playoffs we've ever had because of it.

I wouldn't agree to the deepest we've had, but it's a deeper team than 2005.

MadDog73
05-31-2007, 12:38 PM
I wouldn't agree to the deepest we've had, but it's a deeper team than 2005.

Well, shit.

1999 didn't have Manu or Parker.
2003 didn't have Horry.
2005 didn't have Oberto or Finley.

Besides a decent backup point guard and center, what else do you want?

Keep in mind, no team is perfect. In this age of max salaries and salary caps, Spurs are very lucky to have this much talent on one team.

It won't last forever.

BigBeezie
05-31-2007, 12:43 PM
I have been pumped about this team all year. I have been a fan long enough to try and gauge this team by how well they do after the All-Star break.

sanman53
05-31-2007, 01:48 PM
After the Dallas series last year, Tim Duncan proved to me we 'always have it' as long as he is on the team. I was confident the Spurs would get past the Mavs in 6, maybe 7 games if it came to that this season. Timmy would NOT let us lose again to the Mavs.

All the other guys I had my doubts with. Manu was not really as consistent as I wanted him to be. I really like TP, but the game should revolve around Duncan. Bruce seemed like he lost a step, but he has been the man in the playoffs. I liked Finley this season. And as always, it was obvious Big Shot Rob would start playing his best ball in May-June.

But Tim has been our constant for 10 years. He is our MVP. Tim is 'da man.

Nikos
05-31-2007, 01:58 PM
I know I am sounding a lot like Steve Nash, but I am disappointed in the Game 5 suspension of Amare (although it was deserved). It sort of taints that series for me a little bit. Even though the Spurs were dominant in Game 6, I still don't know if the Spurs win Game 5 in Phoenix if the Suns had Amare. Not only that, the Game 4 loss was an annoying one. The Spurs had the game in hand and basically gave it to the Suns (who did play well, but had some help from the Spurs too).

Beating Denver in 5 was impressive. Crushing Utah was impressive. It seems weird that the Spurs won't have to play Dallas, or that a 2004-06 type Detroit or Miami team. Although I wouldn't be surprised if the Spurs have a real tough finals series either.

I just want the NBA finals to come to see the team compete some more. But it does feel weird that the Spurs didn't have to play Dallas, or an elite Detroit or Miami (who probably are not as good as in the past years).

picnroll
05-31-2007, 01:58 PM
I had serious doubts. Resurrect the trade deadline threads and there would be few who didn't think the Spurs needed to make a move or they couldn't get it done.

Winery
05-31-2007, 02:00 PM
I'm guilty enough for 2 life sentences. I thought we were done. I thought Tims foot injury was just an excuse but he's really alot more mobility this year. I was thinking age was taking its toll and I was quesitoning hunger from these guys for another run. I'll happily eat crow any ol day!

picnroll
05-31-2007, 02:04 PM
Not only that, the Game 4 loss was an annoying one.
That game was a wrap until Duncan was taken out on some questionable at best foul calls. Those calls changed the series as much as Amare and Diaw being suspended. No fouls lalmost certainly Spurs are up 3-1 going to Phoenix, no Horry wiping out Nash, no suspensions. To me it's a wash.

Nikos
05-31-2007, 08:03 PM
That game was a wrap until Duncan was taken out on some questionable at best foul calls. Those calls changed the series as much as Amare and Diaw being suspended. No fouls lalmost certainly Spurs are up 3-1 going to Phoenix, no Horry wiping out Nash, no suspensions. To me it's a wash.

Eh come on, that isn't quite the best analogy. Duncan out for a quarter due to his own fouls (although questionable at best) -- versus Amare being gone for the whole game. Huge difference.

spurs1990
05-31-2007, 08:32 PM
I believed it would have been the toughest road just to get out of the West.

Then of course a monumental choke job followed by auspicious suspensions neutered the above analysis.

VaSpursFan
05-31-2007, 08:44 PM

so true. sometimes pop's genius is hard to understand but he is truly the best at what he does. there is truly a method to their madness and it's hard to see.

phyzik
05-31-2007, 09:01 PM
All I know is Whottt still thinks we are going to lose the championship all because Finley is getting the start.