PDA

View Full Version : Spurs vs. Jazz Game 5 - Grades

timvp
05-31-2007, 12:48 AM
Tim Duncan
Duncan opened the game with passion and an obvious purpose in this game. He was aggressive and did all he could to assure that the Spurs didn’t have to go back to Utah. Not much was needed from him, but he delivered whenever called upon. Duncan was solid on both sides of the court and showed great heart throughout.
Grade: A

Manu Ginobili
Ginobili was a nice spark off the bench in the first quarter and helped bury the Jazz. He came in the game and seamlessly carved out his own way to impact the game. He brought the energy and pulled down some big rebounds while the game was still in doubt. Ginobili also battled defensively. He had a couple careless turnovers but overall there isn’t much to be critical with.
Grade: B+

Tony Parker
Parker was simply amazing early on. He almost single-handedly ended the series with his play in the first half. His aggression and tenacity were on full display as he sliced up the Jazz. If he wasn’t getting to the rim, he was finding a teammate wide open. Defensively, he didn’t let Deron Williams get many open looks in the first half. In a closeout situation, Parker played about as well as a point guard can play.
Grade: A+

Bruce Bowen
Bowen came ready to play and brought some needed physicality to the game. He led the Spurs in plus/minus at +24 and was really active while he was on the court. He pulled down a couple nice rebounds and hit two three-pointers that really helped push the lead up early. He loses a couple points on his grade due to giving up some offensive rebounds to Matt Harpring and a couple of bad flops in the second half, but overall Bowen did his part.

Fabricio Oberto
What more can you say about the way Oberto has come ready to play in the playoffs? He’s just been a monster. He plays each game like it’s his last. Any ounce of effort he can give, he gives to the team. His seven first half rebounds were huge and his overall energy was contagious.

Michael Finley
Finley seemed to overcome any back problems he was having to perform nicely. He hit the first two shots for the Spurs to really get them off on the right foot. Finley also had a couple big time plays on the defensive end, including a rebound where he outbattled the beast that is Paul Millsap. He came out like he wanted to wrap this series up and helped the Spurs do so.

Robert Horry
Horry had his best game in a long time. His tenacity on the defensive end of the court was palpable. He had a big steal and two key blocks to go along with four rebounds in 12 minutes of action. Horry didn’t shoot a shot from the field, but he didn’t have to tonight. Hopefully he finds some offensive rhythm between now and the time the Finals tip off.

Jacque Vaughn
Vaughn had his second consecutive nice performance. His defense was animated and he had a nice pace on the offensive side of the court. He finished with eight points, six assists and no turnovers in 21 minutes. You can’t ask much more from Vaughn.

Francisco Elson
Elson played as confidently as he has all playoffs. He looked like he found some sort of groove. It was partly because the game wasn’t close, but hopefully he can continue playing like this into the Finals. He had nine points, six rebounds and a block in 16 minutes of action.
Grade: A-

Brent Barry
Barry might have been the only regular who appeared a bit out of rhythm. However, it’s understandable seeing as he didn’t play in the last game and he’s the type of player who needs a few trips up and down the court before he’s ready to roll. He did his job well enough of keeping the lead large to avoid having to put back the starters.
Grade: B-

Matt Bonner
The Rojo Rocket didn’t set any nasty back picks – he didn’t have to this game. He played hard in garbage time and celebrated well after the game.
Grade: E

Beno Udrih
While tall guys ran around on that wood platform and bounced a ball around, Udrih was the real show. How many players can get the ball stuck between that medal circle thing and that glass panel on their first shot? Guys tried all game and couldn’t duplicate that feat. Now that’s true skill.

Pop
Pop’s best coaching came before the game because whatever he did or didn’t do got this team ready to compete from the get go. It was a fine performance by a team who obviously likes to play together. Pop just further cements himself as a Hall of Fame coach with each passing year.

BeerIsGood!
05-31-2007, 12:52 AM
Beno has become the epitome of "victory cigar"

Borosai
05-31-2007, 12:55 AM
I expect Fabs to get an A+++++++++++ for the series grades.

Michael Finley won me some vbookie! Thanks Mike!

Beno. What can I say?

The team is peaking at the right time, getting better every series.

slayermin
05-31-2007, 12:55 AM
I am sure it's been brought up before, but if Oberto gets a ring, he will join Manu with a Gold Medal and an NBA championship.

Cool stuff.

E20
05-31-2007, 12:56 AM
Good overall grades, IMO I would have given everybody an A+. Spurs deserve this award and hope they have the best time enjoying it.

Fabbs
05-31-2007, 12:57 AM
Thank you Spurs! :toast What an awesome game.
Redemption is now officially in our grasp. :spin

michaelwcho
05-31-2007, 12:59 AM
I give them all an Incomplete--they only had to play half the game! :)

I liked how they came out and called Finley's number to beat up on Fish's sub, Giricek (who's actually not a horrible defender).

Then Tony ripped up Williams.

I thought--they smell blood, and they are attacking the Jazz' weakness mercilessly. That first quarter was one for the ages!

Mr.Bottomtooth
05-31-2007, 01:01 AM
Beno is the 2004 version of Darko.

mVp
05-31-2007, 01:04 AM
Beno Udrih
While tall guys ran around on that wood platform and bounced a ball around, Udrih was the real show. How many players can get the ball stuck between that medal circle thing and that glass panel on their first shot? Guys tried all game and couldn’t duplicate that feat. Now that’s true skill.

:lol :lol :lol :lol

mattyc
05-31-2007, 01:07 AM
I want timvp to grade Jackie Butler's fashion sense...

aaronstampler
05-31-2007, 01:18 AM
I can't believe you didn't give Elson an A+, LJ. You've given him B+ before for basically not scoring into his own basket so far. Can't wait til the series grades though.

timvp
05-31-2007, 02:18 AM
Can't wait til the series grades though.

:lol

Get ready to tee up that scathing reply.

:smokin

aaronstampler
05-31-2007, 02:21 AM
Oh gosh. I take it so easy on you...

themvp
05-31-2007, 03:24 AM
Beno deserves at least a C, especially if the grades are made out of player's potential. He wasn't that bad with one assist and no turnover! That was just one unlucky shot!

timvp
05-31-2007, 03:28 AM
Beno deserves at least a C, especially if the grades are made out of player's potential. He wasn't that bad with one assist and no turnover! That was just one unlucky shot!

E for Effort.

:hat

milkyway21
05-31-2007, 03:37 AM
Matt Bonner
The Rojo Rocket didn’t set any nasty back picks – he didn’t have to this game. He played hard in garbage time and celebrated well after the game.

he made 1 3pointer didn't he? can you at least upgrade his E to E+? :lmao

whottt
05-31-2007, 04:11 AM
Oberto - It's good to see Oberto getting some appreciation...but he hasn't been playing all playoffs as well as he has in this series.

Elson - LMAO...I don't care how bad Elson plays...he's worth keeping on the team just for his dunks...his dunks are fun.

ManuTim_best of Fwiendz
05-31-2007, 04:29 AM
They all get A's in my opinion.

I loved Horry's plays in the first half, they were classic Horry moments that don't show the whole picture in the box score. Forcing Deron Williams to travel. Genius.

WalterBenitez
05-31-2007, 05:34 AM
I can't complain only with my Cable Company that cut it the signal in the halftime :pctoss

I will only ask if Beno really sucks to get that grade!?

milkyway21
05-31-2007, 05:39 AM
I can't complain only with my Cable Company that cut it the signal in the halftime :pctoss

I will only ask if Beno really sucks to get that grade!?
not really. only while watching the game you would think he and Bonner were the only players on the floor..:lmao passing to each other. No TOs actually.
i was actually praying he won't mess much with the ball to get a better grade :lol

WalterBenitez
05-31-2007, 05:43 AM
not really. only while watching the game you would think he and Bonner were the only players on the floor..:lmao passing to each other. No TOs actually.
i was actually praying he won't mess much with the ball to get a better grade :lol

:( hmmmm do anyone have the Speedy's agent phone? :cell

Capt Bringdown
05-31-2007, 05:58 AM
I think we would have been up by 30 at the half, if it wasn't for a couple of momentum killing plays by Vaughn in the 2nd. First he fouled a three-point shooter and then he immediately followed with a long-range brick on the other end. Result: a good run was squashed and Utah was able to cut the lead down to 16 at halftime.

Who cares, right? This was probably one of the sweetest wins I've seen in a while, but damn, Vaughn scares the shit out of me every time he's on the court.

angel_luv
05-31-2007, 07:43 AM
E for Effort.

:hat

Nice save.

Spurs Brazil
05-31-2007, 09:02 AM
Thanks for the grades

Always a great read

L.I.T
05-31-2007, 09:14 AM
Horry was absolutely dominant for a stretch in the first quarter. He was the impetus for the Spurs bitch-slapping the Jazz.

spurster
05-31-2007, 09:15 AM
Beno gets an A for being the Slovenia good luck charm!

timvp
05-31-2007, 02:59 PM
Oberto - It's good to see Oberto getting some appreciation...but he hasn't been playing all playoffs as well as he has in this series.
He's brought the same effort all playoffs. Boozer just doesn't guard anyone so the casual fan was able to notice Oberto playing well.

But he's played well all playoffs.

medstudent
05-31-2007, 03:10 PM
Finley was last night. When he wasnt hitting shots, he was blocking out guys twice his weight. Huge huge help on the defensive boards

medstudent
05-31-2007, 03:11 PM
Finley was great last night. When he wasnt hitting shots, he was blocking out guys twice his weight. Huge huge help on the defensive boards

Solid D
05-31-2007, 03:55 PM
Francisco Elson
Elson played as confidently as he has all playoffs. He looked like he found some sort of groove. It was partly because the game wasn’t close, but hopefully he can continue playing like this into the Finals. He had nine points, six rebounds and a block in 16 minutes of action.
Grade: A-

Elson's play and Timmy's alley-oop dunk were proof positive of the David Blaine type of Magic in the playoffs. Elson, Parker and Duncan were clearly using the high-pitched Dolphin sounds for signaling the plays.

Ed Helicopter Jones
05-31-2007, 03:56 PM
Finley was last night. When he wasnt hitting shots, he was blocking out guys twice his weight. Huge huge help on the defensive boards

true dat

SAGambler
05-31-2007, 04:26 PM
I think we would have been up by 30 at the half, if it wasn't for a couple of momentum killing plays by Vaughn in the 2nd. First he fouled a three-point shooter and then he immediately followed with a long-range brick on the other end. Result: a good run was squashed and Utah was able to cut the lead down to 16 at halftime.

Who cares, right? This was probably one of the sweetest wins I've seen in a while, but damn, Vaughn scares the shit out of me every time he's on the court.

Me too....I almost got sick to my stomach when he fouled a 3 pt jump shooter. I thought...oh shit.....here they come back now.

Borosai
05-31-2007, 04:27 PM
Finley was great last night. When he wasnt hitting shots, he was blocking out guys twice his weight. Huge huge help on the defensive boards

Exactly. He was battling Millsap and Harpring for position and rebounds. Who would've thunk it?

thousandth
05-31-2007, 05:36 PM

Elson - LMAO...I don't care how bad Elson plays...he's worth keeping on the team just for his dunks...his dunks are fun.

C'mon!
against Denver: He played hard in this series like Game 1 and Game 2.

against Phoenix: Oberto draws Amare 4th foul in a critical moment. Oberto it out of him. Oberto drew important fouls in this series. He was impressive in marking Amare and played very smart all this series.

Oberto he played very well in all playoffs.

Again, great job timvp! :toast