PDA

View Full Version : The most overlooked Spur tonight

GSH
05-31-2007, 01:34 AM
The most overlooked contribution tonight was from Robert Horry. He was the only Spur that didn't score this game, but he played a very big part in the first quarter run that buried the Jazz. When Horry entered the game at the 5:59 mark, the Spurs had a 14-8 lead. Two and a half minutes later, the Spurs were up 28-11.

A lot of what he did (especially on defense) doesn't show up in the box score, but if you look at the play-by-play his name is all over. Parker knocked down a lot of shots in that stretch, but I think Horry's contribution was every bit as big:
5:07 Horry rebound
4:51 Horry steal
4:47 Boozer foul (after the steal, Boozer fouled Parker on the fast break)
4:32 Horry rebound
4:23 Williams turnover travelling (Horry snuck in behind Williams. He travelled to avoid a charge.)
3:35 Horry blocked shot
3:33 Horry rebound
3:32 Okur foul (frustration foul)
3:21 Horry assist (to Bowen for a 3-pointer)

If any of you have the game recorded, watch that stretch again and tell me if you agree. Horry wasn't the one putting the ball through the hoop, but the things he did to the Jazz were demoralizing, and played a big part in taking any hope away from them early in the game. By the time that flurry was over, the Jazz were already booking their fishing guides.

mattyc
05-31-2007, 01:41 AM
Horry plays championship basketball.

GSH
05-31-2007, 02:03 AM
Horry plays championship basketball.

Yep. It's sort of a cliche to talk about a player "doing all the little things". But it's no coincidence that Horry has all those rings. When you look at all the shots Parker buried, it's easy to overlook the fact that Horry denied the Jazz a lot of possessions by causing turnovers, and keeping them off the offensive glass. That's the difference between trading buckets and making a run. He also managed to suck out fouls on several of their key players.

That 14-3 run all but ended the game in the first quarter. It's easy to overlook just how big a part Horry played in it.

Spurs Brazil
05-31-2007, 08:09 AM
I loved to see Horry play

The guy has 6 rings and it seems he was the one who wanted it more yesterday

Great game

TampaDude
05-31-2007, 08:26 AM
Yup...Horry stepped up BIG TIME on D...the game was over by the end of the 1st quarter.

smeagol
05-31-2007, 08:28 AM
Horry is old . . . and wise.

He is a wise old clutch man.

spurs_fan_in_exile
05-31-2007, 08:31 AM
Big Intangible Bob just doesn't have the same ring to it.

raspsa
05-31-2007, 12:04 PM
Thanks for breaking down his contributions..I just had the impression that he was very active and contributing in other areas.. I hope he does come back next year.. even if his minutes are reduced, he can still be an impact player in so many ways, particularly in the playoffs.

ambchang
05-31-2007, 01:21 PM
I was actually laughing out when I was watching that stretch because it is just beautiful to see. Horry's bball IQ is simply off the charts.

duncan228
05-31-2007, 01:28 PM
Horry's bball IQ is simply off the charts.

And with Duncan's also off the charts it's a match made in heaven.