PDA

View Full Version : Sonics Chances Of Staying in Seattle Lessen; Likely to Move to OKC or Kansas City

Mr.Bottomtooth
05-31-2007, 08:59 AM
Sonics owner: Hope fading for future in Seattle
Associated Press

OKLAHOMA CITY -- The Oklahoma City businessman who owns the SuperSonics says he is losing hope that a way will be found to keep the NBA team in Seattle.

"I'm probably as pessimistic as I've been," Clay Bennett told The Oklahoman Tuesday. "Not to say I've lost complete hope. We'll evaluate thoroughly any potential lead, but we're out of ideas."

Bennett said he has begun preliminary discussions with Oklahoma City and Kansas City about possible relocation.

"My expectation and my belief is that if we leave Seattle, we're quite likely headed to Oklahoma City," Bennett said. "But that decision has to be made with appropriate due diligence. We have to do that work. Just can't proclaim we're moving here."

He said that when he and his partners first bought the Seattle SuperSonics last summer, he would drive around the Puget Sound area marveling.

"I couldn't get my hands around what good fortune, to have a team in that marketplace with a new facility," said Bennett. "I really thought we would get a deal done. An extraordinary opportunity.

"But lately, I don't have those same feelings."

Bennett said despite last week's news that the Sonics will pick second in the NBA draft, giving them either Greg Oden or Kevin Durant, there has been no momentum on finding a way to build a new arena, which is the key to keeping the team in Seattle.

"For now, without a building solution, it's our intent to play in Seattle and apply for relocation immediately after the (Oct. 31) deadline," Bennett said.

The Oklahoma City group agreed to give Seattle until Oct. 31 to produce an arena deal.

Copyright 2007 by The Associated Press

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=2886846

_so eMo i'm dEAd_:(
05-31-2007, 09:02 AM
first my girlfriend now my team.
this sucks.

Mr.Bottomtooth
05-31-2007, 09:05 AM
haven't seen any emos around here before. hi you sorry ass!