PDA

View Full Version : Houston GTG?

spurs_fan_in_exile
05-31-2007, 09:21 AM
I know there's a few more Houston fans besides me and Easjer here. Anyone interested in an H-Town GTG? It's the finals people! Gotta represent Spurstalk!

I know a few places that might work, but I'd welcome some suggestions. Maybe we can see if Yao's restaurant is showing the game? :spin

But first things first, who's up for it?

spurs_fan_in_exile
05-31-2007, 09:40 AM
BUMP. Can this get stickied? I know you are out there, Houston Spurs fans. Let's make this happen, dammit!

BALLZ & MY WORD
05-31-2007, 09:44 AM
I'm down! Yao's sounds good.

dougp
05-31-2007, 09:49 AM
I could probably do it - myself & my girlfriend, along with one of my coworkers who's a spurs fan. I'd prefer it to not be at Yao's though! lol.

spurs_fan_in_exile
05-31-2007, 09:59 AM
OK, now we're getting somewhere. Where abouts in the city are you guys? My wife and I are on the SW side. I think we'll probably need this entire week to sort out the logistics.

BALLZ & MY WORD
05-31-2007, 10:09 AM
I'm located in Sugarland

dougp
05-31-2007, 10:22 AM
I'm located at 59& 610, towards the SW side. My friends aren't too far from us, more located in the Galleria area.

Taco
05-31-2007, 10:24 AM
I'm down! Yao's sounds good.

"BALLZ & MY WORD"

This guy will be there for sure :lol

BALLZ & MY WORD
05-31-2007, 11:36 AM
:king DAMN RIGHT TACO!!!!

Craig
05-31-2007, 11:45 AM
I'm in The Woodlands.

I'm game as long as it's reasonably close.

spurs_fan_in_exile
05-31-2007, 11:46 AM
We got a sticky! Woohoo! Is some place like Wingstop or BW3's OK?

I'll give my brother a call tonight. He and his roommates are a walking directory of sports bars in Houston.

twentyone
05-31-2007, 12:14 PM
Tomball here - 249 and Louetta really. Could probably make it to a game or 2, Wingstop or BW's is okay with me as well.

Taco
05-31-2007, 12:20 PM
:king DAMN RIGHT TACO!!!!
:lol :tu

George Gervin's Afro
05-31-2007, 12:43 PM
I'm available

BeerIsGood!
05-31-2007, 01:10 PM
Damn, there's a Houston GTG and not even a Dallas GTG. Shame.

dougp
05-31-2007, 01:42 PM
Damn, there's a Houston GTG and not even a Dallas GTG. Shame.
Drive to Houston ... I think we should do the Flying Saucer downtown ...

easjer
05-31-2007, 02:07 PM
How is parking? That's sort of a concern. I'd sort of prefer to stay on the SW side, because we'll have to go home to see to the dog and come back, but if we've got folks coming from all over, downtown is more accessible/fair.

dougp
05-31-2007, 02:28 PM
How is parking? That's sort of a concern. I'd sort of prefer to stay on the SW side, because we'll have to go home to see to the dog and come back, but if we've got folks coming from all over, downtown is more accessible/fair.
That's why I was suggesting downtown, due to location. With parking, if you park in my office building (I work on top of a parking garage,) then it's only $5 for the night.

easjer
05-31-2007, 03:50 PM
OK! I never go downtown, so I can't tell you any good places, but it's ok by me.

sandman
05-31-2007, 04:07 PM
I live out in Katy, but I work at 59 South and the Beltway. I can do Galleria and Westchase areas w/out a problem, but going all the way downtown is something I would rather avoid if possible. That is, until next year when our offices move down on Smith, then of course we should get together downtown.

btw, props to my cuz 'twentyone' for getting off the sucky SR site and joining the rest of us transplanted SAians.

jman3000
05-31-2007, 06:28 PM
funny that about living in the houston area is that it's so damn huge that one extremity of the city might as well be in another country. i had a game once in the woodlands and called my cousin to see if he wanted to come watch me play... he told me it was like a hour and a half drive from where he was.

DOMINATOR
05-31-2007, 06:30 PM
Spurs GTG at Yao's restaurant... lol... maybe drexler will show up...

easjer
05-31-2007, 06:46 PM
It's true Jman. I've lived here since 1998 and I have yet to ever go anywhere on the northeast side I've town. I've never even driven through it. I've driven through some places on the NW side and the SE side, but never and entire section of the city. Just work (near downtown) and home and a couple areas in between.

twentyone
05-31-2007, 07:00 PM
In sales I've gone from Clear Lake to the Woodlands, Pearland and some town south of there on 288 that's about 2 lights long. Never in the same day, but I can vouch for how damn long it is everywhere.

When are we going to try to get together? Game 1?

sandman
05-31-2007, 09:09 PM
My travel is limited to Katy/Cy-Fair area, only occasionally venturing inside the Beltway. I do almost 50 miles round trip for work and basically go from Katy to Sugarland.

I too have never been on the NE side of town. Actually, I have never been to the entire East side except to drive through to Kema/Galveston.

George Gervin's Afro
06-01-2007, 09:58 AM
I live in Katy as well but I work downtown... and yes I have a 66 mile commute. So i'm game for next Thursday. Can we get together somewhere where they sell crawfish? My record this years is like 7-1 when I eat crawfish during a game.

tekdragon
06-01-2007, 10:23 AM
SRO @ Northwest Mall (610 & 290) has great crawfish, and every time I've been there for a game I've found several Spurs fans gathered to cheer for the Black and Silver.

I'm open to just about anywhere, though.

twentyone
06-01-2007, 10:56 AM
What's that like $20 a day in gas? I'd have to stop 3 times each way to fill up my moped.

Also I love the idea at SRO's. it's near work has lot's of great views to watch a game, and a variety of pretty decent appetizers/food.

dougp
06-01-2007, 11:09 AM
That or Sam's Boat ... not sure, but my girlfriend loves crawfish. I hate the fuckers though.

George Gervin's Afro
06-01-2007, 11:53 AM
I like sam's boat but not the ideal place to watch a game. SRO's crawfish suck but I could live with that... wherever the majority decides..

George Gervin's Afro
06-01-2007, 11:55 AM
What's that like $20 a day in gas? I'd have to stop 3 times each way to fill up my moped.

Also I love the idea at SRO's. it's near work has lot's of great views to watch a game, and a variety of pretty decent appetizers/food.

Yes gas is killing me but hey at least I have my health (as I cough from the affects from pneumonia and my sciatic nerve has been a pain in my ass, literally, for 6 weeks)

sandman
06-01-2007, 12:12 PM
Yes gas is killing me but hey at least I have my health (as I cough from the affects from pneumonia and my sciatic nerve has been a pain in my ass, literally, for 6 weeks)

I drive an F-150, so each day I burn through 3.5 gallons if I do nothing but commute back and forth. I'm filling up at least once a week at $75 per tank, and that is with the discount of being a O&G employee. Thank God the Sandbabe drives a Focus.

I'm moving downtown next year, but I think I am going to catch the Kingsland P&R because the company will subsidize.

sandman
06-01-2007, 12:16 PM
I like sam's boat but not the ideal place to watch a game. SRO's crawfish suck but I could live with that... wherever the majority decides..

What about Ragin' Cajun if people want crawfish? Gessner and Westheimer, less than a mile off of the Beltway. Or the original on Richmond just inside the Loop. I can get to either easily.

So are we for sure planning on Thursday?

twentyone, you bringing the Mrs? I'll try to drag the Sandbabe along if you are...

tekdragon
06-01-2007, 12:33 PM
I like Rajin' Cajun...especially because I just found out SRO's crawfish season is over. Damnit.

sandman
06-01-2007, 12:38 PM
I like Rajin' Cajun...especially because I just found out SRO's crawfish season is over. Damnit.

You know, the Ragin' Cajun on Gessner is a block away from Yao's for those who wanted to go there instead...

easjer
06-01-2007, 02:08 PM
You know, the Ragin' Cajun on Gessner is a block away from Yao's for those who wanted to go there instead...

Yeah, whatever is fine with me and therefore with SFIE (since I'm driving).

Ragin' Cajun is there, Hooters is there too. Yao's is there and a little further down Westheimer in either direction are a few more options for bars (don't know about the game).

Dave and Busters is up Richmond at Fountainview.

I don't mind anywhere near the loop, cause we're close enough to make it a quick drive, so . . .

Whatever! :D

twentyone
06-01-2007, 02:31 PM
Sounds like the best place is the Cajun joint, as long as it has some great TV views I'm in. Beltway or Loop side either is fine. :clap

Sand - I'll bring the better looking part of my family if you bring yours.

George Gervin's Afro
06-01-2007, 03:05 PM

good becuase SRO's mud bugs suck..

George Gervin's Afro
06-01-2007, 03:08 PM
If it is rajin cajuns then i vote for Westheimer and gessner.. makes my katy commute a tad bit easier..

sandman
06-01-2007, 03:13 PM
Sounds like the best place is the Cajun joint, as long as it has some great TV views I'm in. Beltway or Loop side either is fine. :clap

I can't remember the TV set up in the Cajun on Gessner.

GGA- do you know if that Cajun has a good TV setup? I mainly hit it for lunch and made the suggestion based on the need for mud bugs.

sandman
06-01-2007, 03:16 PM

The Sandbabe is not really a sports person (which is sort of odd considering we met while I was playing ball in college) but I can probably get her to go, especially if it means dropping the sandcrabs off with my dad. I am off on Friday with a golf tournament at Blackhorse in the morning, so it is the perfect night to go out.

easjer
06-01-2007, 03:19 PM
It would be nice not to be the only female there. . . just sayin'.

sandman
06-01-2007, 03:21 PM
It would be nice not to be the only female there. . . just sayin'.

I'll turn on the charm and see what I can do for you.

dougp
06-01-2007, 03:27 PM
My girlfriend will be coming. Be warned, she is a a Dallas fan though, try as I might ... she might be a little hostile if the Spurs win.

spurs_fan_in_exile
06-01-2007, 03:33 PM
My girlfriend will be coming. Be warned, she is a a Dallas fan though, try as I might ... she might be a little hostile if the Spurs win.
That's some Romeo and Juliet stuff right there. She'll at least back us up if we get into a fight with some Rockets fans right?

dougp
06-01-2007, 04:19 PM
That's some Romeo and Juliet stuff right there. She'll at least back us up if we get into a fight with some Rockets fans right?
Yah, she should ... I don't think her sister will come, but if she does ... talk about Tim Duncan non-stop because she HATES him, thinks he's a big whiner. Obviously never paid attention to Mark Cuban.

easjer
06-01-2007, 04:50 PM
I should have my new Duncan jersey by then, good enough to wear it and just point?

:lol

dougp
06-01-2007, 05:31 PM
Should be ... the only Spurs shirt I have is a Duncan Spurs shirt.

RashoFan
06-01-2007, 09:49 PM
The SPURS FANS in HOUSTON F'ing ROCK!!!!

that is all...

dougp
06-01-2007, 09:50 PM
The SPURS FANS in HOUSTON F'ing ROCK!!!!

that is all...
We accept nothing less than the best ... hence why we don't cheer for the Rockets or Texans!

wildbill2u
06-02-2007, 06:55 PM
I'm down in Seabrook and don't get to town much at all, but I'll be watching for a final location. (I hate crawfish--but love beer so to hell with eating)

sandman
06-02-2007, 07:33 PM
I think I have the Sandbabe talked into the GTG. Something about dropping the kids off with Grandpops and not having to cook dinner...

My son has cycling practice down at the velodrome until 7:00pm, so we may not show up until a bit after 8:00pm. Make sure to save a place for us.

George Gervin's Afro
06-02-2007, 09:20 PM
I can't remember the TV set up in the Cajun on Gessner.

GGA- do you know if that Cajun has a good TV setup? I mainly hit it for lunch and made the suggestion based on the need for mud bugs.

I can swing by there on the way home from work either Monday or Tuesday. I believe they have a nice back room with a couple of TVs. I will ask if we can reserve a few tables. I guess at this point if we have decided on Rajin Cajuns we would need a head count.

sandman
06-02-2007, 10:10 PM
I can swing by there on the way home from work either Monday or Tuesday. I believe they have a nice back room with a couple of TVs. I will ask if we can reserve a few tables. I guess at this point if we have decided on Rajin Cajuns we would need a head count.

I work just a few miles down the road as well, just wasn't sure if you knew already.

Yes, it would sound like Ragin' Cajun at Gessner/Westheimer will be the place.

I guess we need a headcount. We can start with:

sandman/Sandbabe
easjer/SFIE
twentyone/twentyone-ette
GGA
enigma/Mavfan girlfriend
tekdragon
BALLZ & MY WORD

Any others?

dougp
06-02-2007, 11:02 PM
yes - my coworker and his girlfriend ... they're spurs fans though.

sandman
06-04-2007, 09:54 AM
I may have a co-worker (Clark grad) who will come if she is back in town from the field office by then.

GGA, can we see if they can get us seating for 15?

George Gervin's Afro
06-04-2007, 10:07 AM
I may have a co-worker (Clark grad) who will come if she is back in town from the field office by then.

GGA, can we see if they can get us seating for 15?

I will call today. I guess we need to find out how late they are going to be open.

dougp
06-04-2007, 10:15 AM
I'll be wearing my SpursTalk tshirt and I think I've convinced my girl to wear my Coyote's jersey >=)

easjer
06-04-2007, 10:18 AM
There may also be one of my student workers coming; she's very iffy though, so if she comes, we'll pull up a chair, rather than add her to the tally. Definitely a Spurs fan though - I didn't mention it to my Mavfan kids (though at least one of them is on Spurstalk).

blesk
06-04-2007, 10:57 AM
New to the area here - and new to this forum - likely can't make this Thurday's get together, but we'll try for one in the future.

I'll keep my eyes peeled here for updates.

We lived in San Antonio for many years - spent the last year and a half in Rockport (near Corpus) and just this past weekend moved up here to Houston. Nice to see so many Spurs fans in the area! :)

It was a mixed blessing when the Cavs won, as Mrs. B is a Detroit fan (though she's also a Spurs fan) - so if it'd been the Pistons again in the finals, it'd have been an ugly repeat of 2005 (oy - it was not fun living in the House of Blesk that year). ;)

Anyway - hey ya'll, and hope to see you at a get together soon.

b (aka blesk - or Kendal) :)

easjer
06-04-2007, 11:18 AM
Hiya, blesk!

Welcome to the area! It's not too bad here for a Spurs fan. Of course, Houston has the Rockets, but since they haven't been terrific (or been beaten in a playoff series by the Spurs) folks are pretty friendly.

There are enough of us that we should try for a few GTGs each season. Lots of us are SA transplants too. :D

blesk
06-04-2007, 11:22 AM
Hiya, blesk!

Welcome to the area! It's not too bad here for a Spurs fan. Of course, Houston has the Rockets, but since they haven't been terrific (or been beaten in a playoff series by the Spurs) folks are pretty friendly.

There are enough of us that we should try for a few GTGs each season. Lots of us are SA transplants too. :D

Thanks for the welcome. :)

When we're a little better settled, we'll be able to host one too - I think we'd have room to fairly easily do 10 - 15 folks ... 50" Sony and HD to watch it on too. :)

Anyway - off to work - well, to find some work that is. heh G (my sweets) is why we moved here, as she'd gotten a job in La Porte - now I've gotta find a gig. Love that job shopping! [ insert eyeroll here ] ;)

b

George Gervin's Afro
06-04-2007, 03:03 PM
Bad news..well sort of

Rajun cajun closes at 10pm. They explained to me that they may close earlier if the restaurant is empty or slowing down. I aksed if we were to go watch the game which could last until 11 would they still close at 10. She said yes.

Plan B?

twentyone
06-04-2007, 04:44 PM
New to the area here - and new to this forum - likely can't make this Thurday's get together, but we'll try for one in the future.

I'll keep my eyes peeled here for updates.

We lived in San Antonio for many years - spent the last year and a half in Rockport (near Corpus) and just this past weekend moved up here to Houston. Nice to see so many Spurs fans in the area! :)

It was a mixed blessing when the Cavs won, as Mrs. B is a Detroit fan (though she's also a Spurs fan) - so if it'd been the Pistons again in the finals, it'd have been an ugly repeat of 2005 (oy - it was not fun living in the House of Blesk that year). ;)

Anyway - hey ya'll, and hope to see you at a get together soon.

b (aka blesk - or Kendal) :)

Welcome aboard & to Hou glad to have you. I have yet to meet a Rockets fan since the season ended, but I'm sure there are some somewhere. I suspect some of them are masquarading as Cav's fans but that is hearsay only.

SRO's! It's further in but appears to be the only joint that's going to be open long enough. There's plenty of space and I am pretty sure we'll have a good view from anywhere. I think downtown might be too far for everyone. If you come from the beltway it won't take long to come around 290 to NW mall.

easjer
06-04-2007, 04:54 PM
Huh. Dunno. Let me get SFIE to ask his bro. His bro and his roommates go to sports bars a lot and can probably give some good recs.

sandman
06-04-2007, 07:00 PM
BW3's at Westhiemer and Kirkwood? Only a little ways down the road from Cajun's. I'm open to anywhere though, just as long as it is a joint where we can get food and not just a bar.

easjer
06-04-2007, 07:13 PM
That would be fine with me.

sandman
06-04-2007, 09:33 PM
BW3's is open until 2am, so I went ahead and made a reservation for 7pm under the name "sandman". If we decide on someplace else it is no big deal, just wanted to get the reserved space in case there was a mad rush by all the Rocket fans to cheer on the Cavs.

On a side note, they can guarantee us the reservation upstairs where there are like 10 TV's, but none of the HUGE projection TV's like in the bar area. If we get there at 7pm and there is space on the main floor, they will try to seat us down there. It will all depend on the crowd that night.

One last thing... 20% gratuity added for party of 10 or more.

twentyone
06-05-2007, 07:46 AM
Okay so BW3's at 11803 Westheimer? Sounds good, what time are we goign to start meeting? I'll probably be there around 7pm or so.

easjer
06-05-2007, 07:50 AM
Sounds great to us - thanks for taking care of that, sandman!

We will probably be late if y'all are meeting at 7. I can't leave work early on Thursday, because it's an orientation day. So we probably won't get home before 6, and the dog is going to need a good run after being crated if he's going straight back in for a few hours. So we'll most likely be more like 7:30 ish.

sandman
06-05-2007, 08:57 AM
Okay so BW3's at 11803 Westheimer? Sounds good, what time are we goign to start meeting? I'll probably be there around 7pm or so.

Made the reservations for 7pm, but the Sandbabe and I won't be there until a bit later as we need to drop the kids off after cycling practice.

Hopefully we can get as many of the group to show up at 7pm so that we have a chance to get a group of tables on the main floor.

dougp
06-05-2007, 09:15 AM
I can try and get there as close to 7 as I can, but no promises, it does take me some time to get home from downtown even though I live so close.

sandman
06-06-2007, 02:18 PM
REMINDER BUMP!

BW3's

7PM

Thank God only one more day of listening to Finals analysis by Rockets radio hosts.

I swear to God that every other call about this year's Finals devolves into a Rockets Glory Days circle jerk, with the climatic moment always punctuated with the same line: Hakeem really schooled David in that 95 playoff series!

Oy, even so Game Time, come quickly.

twentyone
06-06-2007, 05:25 PM
TOMORROWS THURSDAY!

the day of reckoning, I'm soooo pumped. 790 to with that boyish sounding guy that used to be on in the evening drives was talking about the article asking for fans to send in youtubes and articles about Timmy. Of course the main point of that article was Timmys "Merlin" nickname and they actually alluded that Tim was into teh real life role playing games.

They played a clip of some kid saying "lightning bolt, lightning bolt, lightning bolt" with some schmuck in the background moaning in pain. Evidently these guys walk around with canes and such to work even and play their roles into everyday life. It was actually quite funny.

Merlin the Nerdmeister.

This time tomorrow I'll be bouncing around like an ADD victim on methamphetamines.

sandman
06-07-2007, 08:19 AM
I have got to get up early tomorrow morning for a golf tournament at Blackhorse. I have a strong feeling that the outcome of tonight's game will determine how much I enjoy it.

easjer
06-07-2007, 08:29 AM

I have an Orientation tomorrow (oy, 18 year olds) and have to be at work at 8.

Tonight's game will make a big difference in how well that works.

sandman
06-07-2007, 08:33 AM

I have an Orientation tomorrow (oy, 18 year olds) and have to be at work at 8.

Tonight's game will make a big difference in how well that works.

If the Cavs steal game 1, I pity those kids! :lol

easjer
06-07-2007, 09:04 AM

Yeah, my boss says the same thing. She'll be greatly relieved when the playoffs are over.

But I could live with the Cavs taking game 1, because I think the Spurs are good enough to win 4 in a row. 2 games though. . . watch out!

I still think we take this tonight (and enough to cover the spread. . . mama needs some new vbookie shoes).

dougp
06-07-2007, 10:24 AM
We'll see, I never hear anyone shut up about how great LeBron is and I want us to sweep and shove it in their faces ... Jordan never got swept, even though I think he was overrated - he had one hell of a team around him.

twentyone
06-07-2007, 10:27 AM
I'm not even making sense today at work. Not sure how much worse that's going to be tomorrow. I do feel sorry for those kids either way though! I'll be a wreck either way.

enigma I agree completely with the sweep, I don't think it's possible just because everytime you expect it from some team we always give them 1. see 06-07 Denver Nuggets.

Let's go #4!!!!!

dougp
06-07-2007, 02:43 PM
So is everyone going to show up tonight? I'm kinda injured and if I go and no one shows up I'll be pissed!

easjer
06-07-2007, 04:51 PM
Jason and I will definitely be there, Doug.

dougp
06-07-2007, 05:01 PM
Ok, well update for me ... I thought my foot would chill out, and aparently I'm still bleeding out of my toe pretty badly. And since I'm kinda forced to drive (GF doesn't want to drive that far out herself,) we kinda can't go ... hate to not be able to, but maybe next week? If I hadn't had minor toe surgery on my driving foot yesterday, I'd be all over it rain or shine.

Though we will be at BW3 in Rice Village with my friends if you guys want to show up and chill with us if that's too far for you guys also.

twentyone
06-07-2007, 05:04 PM
Rice is a little far for us coming from Tomball. But we're definately going to BW3's on WEstheimer and Beltway.

Looking forward to getting this thing going.

Sorry your not going to make it tonight, you'll be missed. Hopefully you don't take too much abuse down there at the village from all those xrocket fans turned Lebroniers.

dougp
06-07-2007, 05:06 PM
Yah I figured it'd be kinda far for some people, but I know there are people closer to me ... I hate to break the group up, so understandable if no one wants to meet up with me there, but the BW3 past the beltway isn't convenient for me with my toe the way it is. The Ragin Cajun would have been perfect, though.

sandman
06-07-2007, 05:25 PM
Yah I figured it'd be kinda far for some people, but I know there are people closer to me ... I hate to break the group up, so understandable if no one wants to meet up with me there, but the BW3 past the beltway isn't convenient for me with my toe the way it is. The Ragin Cajun would have been perfect, though.

Dude, BW3's is like 2 miles from the Ragin'. :ihit

Anyone heard from GGA? Once we switched from Ragin' to BW3's he sort of dropped off...

dougp
06-07-2007, 05:40 PM

Anyone heard from GGA? Once we switched from Ragin' to BW3's he sort of dropped off...
2 miles? It's past beltway 8 ... driving on westheimer, that's a freakin 15 minute drive! lol

easjer
06-07-2007, 05:45 PM
Aw, Doug, sorry to hear that, but I totally understand. We will still be going tonight, but maybe we can try again next week (game 3 is Tuesday and game 4 is Thursday, I think).

easjer
06-07-2007, 05:47 PM
Also, if anyone wants our cell #s so we can meet up, just in case, PM me in the next hour. We are home now and Jason is walking the Jonah, the super scruffy schnauzer, and then once he's good and worn out, we'll be on our way.

So, just PM me if you want to exchange #s.

easjer
06-07-2007, 06:38 PM
Ok, on our way out - hope some folks are there!

dougp
06-08-2007, 12:28 AM
Here's the reason why I didn't go, so don't give me shit about it:

http://img179.imageshack.us/my.php?image=174806419333xa0.jpg

It's a little bloody, just FYI before you click.

George Gervin's Afro
06-08-2007, 09:11 AM

Sorry man but I'm now 8-1 this post season when i eat crawfish during the game. Yes I ate crawfish last night at my pad..

wildbill2u
06-10-2007, 09:18 AM
How did the GTG go? Are you gonna have one for every game?