PDA

View Full Version : The wrong Grizz decision to hire a Suns assistant

Rummpd
05-31-2007, 10:01 AM
What have the Suns done to deserve this? Steve Nash is the real coach of that team.
Meanwhile Carlesimo sits on the bench as the best available coach in the NBA = period.

http://www.memphisflyer.com/memphis/Content?oid=oid%3A29191

AP -- The Memphis Grizzlies, looking for a coach who can help the team work its way up from the bottom of the NBA, have set a "major announcement" for Thursday amid newspaper reports they are hiring Phoenix Suns assistant Marc Iavaroni.
The Grizzlies declined to provide more details about the news conference. The Commercial Appeal, citing unidentified sources close to the search, reported that the Grizzlies have agreed to a three-year deal with Iavaroni.

The Grizzlies had no immediate comment on the report. An assistant to Grizzlies owner Michael Heisley told The Associated Press he was unavailable for comment.

Iavaroni, who joined the Suns coaching staff in 2002, is a 14-year veteran of the NBA as a player and coach.

He was an assistant and director of player development for the Miami Heat under Pat Riley before joining the Suns.

And most important to us here in Flyer.com-land, he continues the Griz string of Italian coaches -- Fratello, Barone, and Iavaroni. Has a nice ring to it, eh? (An unnamed source told the Flyer that Danny DeVito and Dom DeLuise were offered the position but turned it down, citing the fact that their names did not rhyme with Barone.)

For more from Flyer NBA writer, Chris Herrington (who is taking all this very personally), check out the Flyer's Grizblog, Beyond the Arc.

COMMENTS
Post a Comment 0 comments posted for this article
There are no comments yet for this story. You can be the first.
Post a Comment

Johnny_Blaze_47
05-31-2007, 11:16 AM
Actually, Iavaroni is regarded as a top assistant and has been on a number of short lists the past few seasons.

Kori Ellis
05-31-2007, 11:19 AM
There's a few threads about Iavaroni already. But, what Blaze said is exactly right.

I don't know why some Spurs fans think PJ is so awesome. :lol

Kevin Blackistone
05-31-2007, 11:22 AM
There's a few threads about Iavaroni already. But, what Blaze said is exactly right.

I don't know why some Spurs fans think PJ is so awesome. :lol

What's your opinion on PJ?

I figured he didn't interview well and that the Sprewell stuff might be in the back of people's minds, but he may just be the Norv Turner of the NBA

Kori Ellis
05-31-2007, 11:25 AM
I think PJ is okay.

He deserves another shot.

But I think he's way past the Sprewell stuff and he gets interviewed every summer and doesn't get a job. So, there's obviously other reasons he doesn't get jobs. Look at all the other crap coaches who have gotten jobs in recent years.

I truly expect him to get a job this summer though - I'm guessing in Seattle.

But who knows, they might opt to go cheaper and younger with someone like Dave Joerger.

Rummpd
05-31-2007, 11:44 AM
Put PJ on Seattle and they would be scary pretty fast if they get some interior play with the scorers they will have.