PDA

View Full Version : Donovan offered Magic job

mardigan
05-31-2007, 02:10 PM
Billy Donovan expected to become Orlando Magic's next coach

Brian Schmitz and Tim Povtak | Sentinel Staff Writers
Posted May 31, 2007, 3:01 PM EDT

Billy Donovan is expected to become the next coach of the Orlando Magic after he was presented with a substantial contract offer, officials with the NBA team told the Orlando Sentinel.

Donovan, 42, is coming off back-to-back NCAA titles with the Florida Gators. He was in the midst of negotiations for a contract extension at Florida when the offer arrived.

Donovan would be replacing Brian Hill, who was fired last week after back-to-back losing seasons. Two league sources had told the Sentinel on Tuesday that the Magic had been in contact with Donovan's agent, Lonnie Cooper. When asked about the job Wednesday, though, Donovan said he had not spoken with the Magic.

The University of Florida had been making plans to announce Donovan's contract extension next week. On Wednesday night, though, the Magic made a firm offer to Donovan.

Donovan would become the eighth head coach of the franchise.

The Gators beat Ohio State this spring in the national championship game for their second title in a row, but he was losing his top six players.

Donovan repeatedly has said that the NBA "intrigued him,'' but also said he was happy with the college game. Donovan has no NBA coaching experience, but he played briefly with the New York Knicks for coach Rick Pitino.

Before coming to the Gators, he was the head coach at Marshall University.

ChumpDumper
05-31-2007, 02:12 PM
Excellent time to cash in.

JamStone
05-31-2007, 02:18 PM
Take it quick before the Magic realize they're dumb.

T Park
05-31-2007, 02:30 PM
another genius move by Orlando :rolleyes

Shoulda hired Stan Van Gundy, and gone with a proven winner.

College coaches don't translate well to the NBA nowa days.

Period.

Mr.Bottomtooth
05-31-2007, 03:09 PM
6yr/36million goddamn!!!

mardigan
05-31-2007, 03:14 PM
6yr/36million goddamn!!!
He has to take this job, they are doubling what he was going to make at Florida. Put him on the Pitino plan

Budkin
05-31-2007, 03:30 PM
Fuck I'm not happy about this. College coaches suck in the NBA and I wanted them to go after PJ... shit. :pctoss

MrChug
05-31-2007, 04:47 PM
another genius move by Orlando :rolleyes

Shoulda hired Stan Van Gundy, and gone with a proven winner.

College coaches don't translate well to the NBA nowa days.

Period.

DAMNIT! I never agree with you...but Stan Van woulda been a MUCH better fit than Billy. Billy may be great but that team need STABILITY not an experiment.

mardigan
05-31-2007, 05:08 PM
He accepted the position

degenerate_gambler
05-31-2007, 05:16 PM
He accepted the position

how can you say no to that kind of $$$...

MajorMike
05-31-2007, 05:21 PM
E$PN says done deal.

BUMP
05-31-2007, 05:29 PM
i agree. another great college coach is gonna get overhyped while the Magic go to something like 38-44 again. who knows? Florida had good big men, Magic have Howard maybe something will work out. i dont know, im just trying some sort of connection

Budkin
05-31-2007, 05:42 PM
Ugh... this is the last person I ever thought would be the Magic coach. I suspect that they were partially motivated by trying to get people back into the arena, since there are a lot of Gator fans in Central Florida. Boo.

Mr.Bottomtooth
05-31-2007, 05:43 PM
Official: Donovan leaving Florida to coach Orlando Magic

By TRAVIS REED, Associated Press Writer
May 31, 2007

AP - May 31, 6:08 pm EDT

ORLANDO (AP) -- After leading Florida to two national titles, Billy Donovan has agreed to leave the Gators to coach the Orlando Magic, an official in the NBA told The Associated Press on Thursday.

The official, who spoke on condition of anonymity because the deal hasn't been finalized, said Donovan agreed to a five-year, $27.5 million contract.

Donovan, who turned down an offer in April to coach Kentucky, replaces Brian Hill, who was fired after two consecutive losing seasons.

Donovan, his agent and Florida athletic director Jeremy Foley didn't return phone messages left by The AP. School president Bernie Machen, who was attending a meeting of Southeastern Conference officials, declined comment.

Speculation that Donovan would leave Gainesville seemed to end after he turned down Kentucky and said, "I love the University of Florida." He was also linked to the Memphis Grizzlies' job, but never had formal talks with them and repeatedly refused to comment about any open coaching positions.

He said he intended to sign an extension at Florida, where he was making $1.7 million annually.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news?slug=ap-magic-donovan&prov=ap&type=lgns

TampaDude
05-31-2007, 08:11 PM
Ugh... this is the last person I ever thought would be the Magic coach. I suspect that they were partially motivated by trying to get people back into the arena, since there are a lot of Gator fans in Central Florida. Boo.

I'm a Gator fan, and this came out of the blue...we'll miss Billy D...maybe the Magic can grab some Gators in the draft... :toast

NBA Junkie
05-31-2007, 08:15 PM
I wonder if the DeVos family offered free Amway products to sweeten the deal.