PDA

View Full Version : Spurs vs. Mavericks Nov. 30 - Grades

timvp
12-01-2004, 04:57 AM
Tim Duncan
Against the Dallas Mavericks on Tuesday night, Duncan had an efficient yet quiet game. With the guards doing much of the heavy lifting, Duncan just held the fort on defense and did what was needed on offense. One of Duncan’s greatest traits is he knows when to assert himself and when to let his teammates run loose. That being said, he still finished with a formidable line. Duncan recorded 20 points, 13 rebounds and five blocks, while shooting 8-15 from the floor and 4-6 at the line. Although it wasn’t a spectacular performance, he accomplished what was needed of him.
GRADE: 90
SEASON: 87.9

Bruce Bowen
Bowen played well in spurts, but he didn’t sustain it. His defense was average as Josh Howard and Marquis Daniels finished a combined 13-25. On offense, he hit only 1-5 shots. To his credit, Bowen did record three rebounds, three assists and a steal. With Bowen having a little bit of an off night, luckily the Spurs had other players step up and contribute at his position. Even if the shooting isn’t going to be there, the defense must.
GRADE: 79
SEASON: 84.1

Rasho Nesterovic
In 30 minutes of playing time, Nesterovic had some nice moments. He did a wonderful job defensively, particularly when he was switched off onto smaller, quicker players. He post defense was key, as was his shot-blocking presence in the lane. Offensively, he looked very comfortable. He hit half of his eight field goal attempts, including a few nice jumpers and a nice move in the paint. Nesterovic also unveiled his new free-throw shooting technique. He brought the ball up with two hands but used only one-hand during the shooting motion. Although he hit only one of two free throws, it was an improvement upon the 28.6% he entered the game shooting from the charity stripe.
GRADE: 89
SEASON: 85.5

Manu Ginobili
Ginobili’s shots weren’t falling, but he was his usual uber-aggressive self. For that reason, he was still a very effective player for the Spurs. His aggressiveness on both ends of the court helps ignite the Spurs. He completed the game 2-7 from the floor, 0-2 from downtown and 7-9 from the line for a total of 11 points. Ginobili also recorded five rebounds, four assists and three steals, as he continues to stuff the box scores game after game. With a game on Wednesday against the Philadelphia 76ers, it was an added bonus that Ginobili had to only play 26 minutes in the victory.
GRADE: 87
SEASON: 89.3

Tony Parker
Going against a rookie point guard, Parker wanted to set the tone. And he did. He attacked the basket early and often, finishing with 17 points on 7-16 shooting from the floor. His penetration shredded Dallas’ defense and helped open up lanes for other Spurs. Parker also did an outstanding job on Devin Harris and Jason Terry, holding the explosive duo to 5-13 shooting and five assists, while forcing them into five turnovers. If there was a flaw to his game, it was that he wasn’t creating enough for his teammates. Though it’s great when Parker is looking to score, he also needs to remember that his main job is to set up his teammates.
GRADE: 87
SEASON: 82.3

Beno Udrih
The Spurs fans who watched the Spurs versus Mavs contest were also treated to Udrih’s breakout game. Playing as assertive as we’ve seen him play, Udrih finished with 16 points and four assists in 20 minutes of action. He hit 4-7 shots from the field, 1-2 from three-point range and 7-8 from the free throw line. He looked as composed as ever as he ran the offense, finishing with only one turnover. Overall, it was an immensely impressive outing for the rookie point guard out of Slovenia.
GRADE: 98
SEASON: 81.5

Devin Brown
After an impressive showing versus Utah, Brown backed it up with an even more impressive game against the Mavs. In 19 minutes of court time, Brown scored 16 points and pulled down four rebounds. Most of his points were in the open court where he took the ball to the basket with reckless abandon. Once he gets the ball on the break, he’s almost impossible to stop. The Spurs need Brown to continue to play at this level. While his playing time will be erratic, his effort must always be there.
GRADE: 97
SEASON: 84.1

Brent Barry
Barry didn’t hit any three-pointers and scored only four points in the game, but he was valuable to the Spurs. His defense was good and he again got the Spurs out and running. Popovich loves it when the Spurs run off of their defense and Barry is great at leading those charges up the court. He can find the open man with a nifty pass or he can finish with authority on the break himself. His all-around play continues to impress.
GRADE: 86
SEASON: 85.9

Robert Horry
Horry made the most of his minutes Tuesday night, playing one of his better games of the season. His passing was spectacular, finishing the game with a team-high four assists. He hit both of the shots he took and played good defense. However, Horry’s rebounding woes continue. He only got one rebound in 18 minutes of play and for the season is averaging less than two per contest. That is an area that he must improve on.
GRADE: 88
SEASON: 83.5

Malik Rose
After a string of strong performances, Rose was in foul trouble for much of the game against Dallas. While in the game, Rose played adequate. He hit 2-5 from the field on his way to a five point night. A couple times in the game, he was frustrated with the refs and let that take his head out of the game. For him to continue to receive valuable playing time, he must maintain his composure at all times.
GRADE: 80
SEASON: 86.1

Elo
12-01-2004, 05:43 AM
Thanks, as always. If I’m reading correctly, some were shooting rather poorly last night (Manu, Barry to name two). In this context, I would think it is natural for Tony to concentrate on scoring, especially when he is penetrating well and his shots are falling (well, 7/16 is an ok performance). That said, props to the bench for their good game.

BigVee
12-01-2004, 10:05 AM
Got to admint Beno continues to surprise me. He is not the prototypical PG, in that he is kind of stocky and looks slow on the court, yet is very solid and (your word) composed. He is not afraid to take a shot and handles the ball well. Must be much quicker than he looks on TV. What a great pick-up, so far.

bigzak25
12-01-2004, 10:18 AM
i thought last night would be a dogfight....i'm glad i was wrong...that was one helluva clinic our Spurs put on in the 4th. :smokin

smeagol
12-01-2004, 10:42 AM
Beno had a great game.

Sequ, suck on that!!!!!

violentkitten
12-01-2004, 10:47 AM
smeagol watch your language. to think you complain about me when you carry on like that is most ironic

Spurminator
12-01-2004, 11:01 AM
I'd like to give a 110 to the Argentinian section at the game last night in the upper deck. Even though Manu didn't see many minutes due to foul trouble, they were singing and cheering almost the entire game. It made for a great atmosphere, for the Spurs fans in the house anyway...

Athenea
12-01-2004, 11:11 AM
I'd like to give a 110 to the Argentinian section at the game last night in the upper deck. Even though Manu didn't see many minutes due to foul trouble, they were singing and cheering almost the entire game. It made for a great atmosphere, for the Spurs fans in the house anyway...
COOL! :hat

T Park
12-01-2004, 11:21 AM
Wish the fans would be like that in San Antonio

violentkitten
12-01-2004, 11:23 AM
make it happen tpark you the man now dog

T Park
12-01-2004, 11:26 AM
who are you, Sean Connery?

violentkitten
12-01-2004, 11:30 AM
i am a ghost young boy

T Park
12-01-2004, 11:31 AM
bond, james bond.

Rummpd
12-01-2004, 11:55 AM
I think based ratings very, very fair but perhaps Parker and Duncan both also deserve 93 +. Also anytime a team wins by 15+ and your MVP still gets a double double + 5 blocks he should also get a 90+ for efficiency. We so get spoiled and I think your comments were right on - unlike other superstars Duncan quietly played "almost a perfect game" for what was needed. Also, if we get assists + 25 points per game at point between these two image this team's potential. It almost seemed like Pop help Tony back when he was on his way to a big game and we have seemingly seen that in the past. I listened to the game and the Dallas announcers also praised Parkers defense as better than average.

Sportcamper
12-01-2004, 01:12 PM
The Spurs have not been content in squeaking by good teams...They have just pounded two “Great Teams” (the Mavs & the Jazz) “with smothering defense & team effort on offense”...

Devin Brown’s two three-point plays and two dunks dashed any hopes of a Mav’s comeback...

Slo spurs fan
12-01-2004, 02:15 PM
Beno Udrih
The Spurs fans who watched the Spurs versus Mavs contest were also treated to Udrih’s breakout game. Playing as assertive as we’ve seen him play, Udrih finished with 16 points and four assists in 20 minutes of action. He hit 4-7 shots from the field, 1-2 from three-point range and 7-8 from the free throw line. He looked as composed as ever as he ran the offense, finishing with only one turnover. Overall, it was an immensely impressive outing for the rookie point guard out of Slovenia.
GRADE: 98
SEASON: 81.5

I'm wondering where is Marcus Bryant now? :rolleyes