PDA

View Full Version : I'm tired of hearing about the Spurs "Big Three"...

toosmallshoes
05-31-2007, 05:48 PM
The Spurs are led not by their "Big Three", but by their "Big Four": Tim Duncan, Tony Parker, Manu Ginobili, and Bruce Bowen.
He's a perennial selection to the NBA's all defensive first team. The defense he plays nightly on the opposing team's best player is one of the biggest factors in the Spurs' success. And his clutch three point shooting is often the difference maker in close games.
Give the man his due as part of the Spurs' "Big Four".

saporvida
05-31-2007, 05:50 PM
i agree... but how about big 15(it is 15 on the roster right or is it just 12?)... anyhow.. it should be the big 15 regardless because every player counts regardless of what you see on the court.

ps: fuck it big 5 atleast!

toosmallshoes
05-31-2007, 05:52 PM
Nope. I'm sticking with big four. Otherwise you're talking about too many chiefs and not enough indians.

csl24
05-31-2007, 05:52 PM
Its just a media thing, true spurs fans know how valuable the (team) really is. Don't sweat it.

saporvida
05-31-2007, 05:53 PM
Nope. I'm sticking with big four. Otherwise you're talking about too many chiefs and not enough indians.

well im going with big 4 too... that is 4 big ass trophies chillin in a glass case in the at&t! GET READY BITCHES!

toosmallshoes
05-31-2007, 05:55 PM
But even the San Antonio media talks about the "big three".

saporvida
05-31-2007, 06:20 PM
But even the San Antonio media talks about the "big three".

well we have a lot of idiots in the industry here like gregg fuck face simmons! i hate that guy with a passion and have since i was 7 yrs old...

that fucker ruined my larry brown card i had signed by the whole spurs organization... the man ripped the card from my hands and said, "what you dont want my autograph to kid?" and then proceeded to sign his name on my damn card. i told him, "i hate you" after that. god that felt so great to say even when i was 7yrs old.... and you know i know it's not good to have hate in your heart but there will always be a special place for fuck-face simmons in mine.

spurster
05-31-2007, 06:54 PM
Why are you guys dissing Fabby? It's a big 5, I tell you!

ManuTim_best of Fwiendz
05-31-2007, 07:06 PM
"Big three" has a nicer ring to it. Like the Trinity.

The CORE of this team to Spurs fans has usually been recognized as Tim, Manu, Tony, and Bruce.

AFBlue
05-31-2007, 07:24 PM
It's Big 3...because any one of those three players could carry the Spurs on a given night, and without one of them (especially Duncan) the Spurs are not a championship-contending team. I'm not downplaying Bowen's defensive contributions, but the Spurs don't live an die by how many points he scores...thus his overall contribution. On any given night that "fourth" guy is a different player...could be Fabs one night, Fin the next, Bowen after that, but the fact remains that they are all interchangeable parts.

conversekid
05-31-2007, 09:22 PM
the players call them the big three too... i've heard bowen use the term during interviews

greens
05-31-2007, 11:25 PM
I agree...it should be the big four with Bruce included. I mean that is the true core of the team...Manu/Tony/Tim/Bruce all won 2 championships together, all played important roles. Plus this team is all about defense. I've heard Pop and Timmy refer to Bruce as the "heart" of the team, when talking about defense. So they all know how valuable he is.

Just wish the media would give Bruce some credit...instead of focusing on that he is supposedly "dirty." lol.

Plus, in Game 5 against Pheonix, it was Big Shot Bruce to the rescue with that 3 pointer. Plus remember the block on Chauncey from Game 7 two years ago, if there was no block, it still might have been Detroit winning...

But either way, it's all about the "team"...Just too bad for Bruce cuz he has been there the longest with Tony/Tim/Manu than any other player.

Texas_Ranger
05-31-2007, 11:28 PM
Why are you guys dissing Fabby? It's a big 5, I tell you!

You also can put Finley in there.

SenorSpur
06-01-2007, 12:24 AM
It's a sheer crime that Bowen hasn't won at least 1 DPOY Award

BreezeHillBill
06-02-2007, 10:29 AM
The Spurs are led not by their "Big Three", but by their "Big Four": Tim Duncan, Tony Parker, Manu Ginobili, and Bruce Bowen.
He's a perennial selection to the NBA's all defensive first team. The defense he plays nightly on the opposing team's best player is one of the biggest factors in the Spurs' success. And his clutch three point shooting is often the difference maker in close games.
Give the man his due as part of the Spurs' "Big Four".
I agree. I figure that Tony, Manu, and Tim are worth 20+ for the Spurs and Bruce is worth -20 for the opposition. I posted this thought a few days back and the response was mostly to the effect that Bruce is just a role player. I agree with the writer who said that the Spurs' defensive axis Bruce outside and Tim inside.

bdictjames
06-02-2007, 10:40 AM
I agree.

But the media always focuses on the offensive end, and Bowen's no Kobe.

SA210
06-02-2007, 11:21 AM
It's a sheer crime that Bowen hasn't won at least 1 DPOY Award
Or that he hasn't won at least 4

SAGambler
06-02-2007, 12:13 PM
Or that he hasn't won at least 4

LOL...Maybe it is a curse. Look where the ones that have beaten Bruce out ended up.

But I too believe Bruce should have gotten it at least once and probably twice.

Aggie Hoopsfan
06-02-2007, 12:48 PM
Even Bowen calls them the big three. Call me the next time Bowen makes the All-Star game.

greens
06-02-2007, 03:30 PM
Even Bowen calls them the big three. Call me the next time Bowen makes the All-Star game.

All Stars are offensive players...not defensive ones. Bowen is a premier defender, that's his big role. Just because he can never make it to the All Stars due to his different role, it doesn't mean he shouldn't be included in the Big Three or etc...that's just an ignorant comment. :toast

mikejones99
06-02-2007, 04:54 PM
vacation till june 7th

GrandeDavid
06-02-2007, 05:01 PM
This was a clever thread. I opened it getting ready to get militant, but then was relieved to find a great point being made. You are right, Bruce Bowen is instrumental. If not for his physical play on the court, but his tenacity has to inspire his teammates. He's definitely worthy of being #4.

td4mvp21
06-02-2007, 05:03 PM
Big Three as in offensive threats. At least, that's how I see it.

Kobulingam
06-02-2007, 06:42 PM
Big Three as in offensive threats. At least, that's how I see it.

And the three players that are neither old farts (e.g. Horry, Finley, Bowen) nor young crap (e.g. James White).

smrattler
06-02-2007, 07:13 PM
How about the Big ONE and his two buddies? Nah, that sounds too nasty...

Diesel
06-02-2007, 10:04 PM
Na it's the Big Three. Tim Duncan, Tony Parker, Manu Ginobili are all star players. When the media talk about the big three their also usually talking about offensive production. Ex, "In order for the Jazz to win tonight their going to need to shut down one of the San Antonio big three." Bruce Bowen is a role player. A damn important role player that is key to the Spurs sucess though.

greens
06-02-2007, 10:04 PM
If that was true Ben Wallace or Dennis Rodman would never make all star games.

I think it helped that both won DPOY awards...I think. I just wish that Bruce would at least win one DPOY award. We all know he deserves it.

But I guess what I meant was that usually offensive players are All Stars. There are exceptions here and there, of course.

BigShotBob
06-02-2007, 11:18 PM
If anyone says otherwise, the defense I would use to include Bowen in the "Big Four" comes from the roster of the Bulls' second threepeat.

Dennis Rodman along with Jordan and Pippen, were considered the "Big Three" on that team, even though Rodman was never ever a scoring threat. His rebounding and defensive play through were HUGE additions to that team that allowed them to quickly recover from that Playoff loss to the Magic.

Having a player who can usually shut down the other team's best scoring threat is HUGE. The 3-pointers are just gravy to add on to what he already does for our team night in and night out.

Spurs Dynasty 21
06-03-2007, 12:45 AM
Bowen? you mean the guy who made Derron Williams like a HOF player?

greens
06-03-2007, 12:58 AM
Bowen? you mean the guy who made Derron Williams like a HOF player?

Bruce and Tony both guarded Deron at different times...I'm not even sure Bruce even guarded him that much...

Either way, Deron is really really good. Give him credit.

Also give Bruce some credit...how about rewatching the 05 Finals, the block on Chauncey...that secured the win. Or last year's block on Dirk. Or any other game where he has to guard the top player...Or maybe how he guarded Nash just previously...and before that Iverson...it's not that far back.

:p:

toosmallshoes
06-04-2007, 12:51 AM
I'm talking "Big Four" as in who's jerseys from this Spurs team will be hung from the rafters of the AT&T Center when they retire. You can call it the "Big Three" or the "Big Twelve" if you want to, but in the end those four are the most important players on the team, and without Bruce Bowen the Spurs would not have three championships with their eyes on a fourth.