PDA

View Full Version : Why Lebron's game 5 performance doesn't matter

Loose Cannon
06-01-2007, 09:28 AM
Because if you replace Detroit with the Spurs in the ECF, the series is a sweep.

The Spurs would not have given it away in the 4th quarter in both games 3 and 4 like Detroit has. They wouldn't have let both games slip away. Cleveland allowed 93 points a game, on average this year. If Detroit had just played to that average every game, the series would have been over in 4.

Seriously. The Pistons are not very good. Second halves of 44 and 39 points in games 3 and 4. Cleveland was highly beatable in both of those games, but Detroit decided to play like crap and let the Cavs back in the series. The Spurs have had a ruthless killer instinct and a brutal efficiency in the playoffs this year. Seemingly every game that either closed out the series, or effectively closed out the series (Denver game 4/5, Phoenix game 6, Utah game 4/5), the Spurs pretty much dominated throughout. Detroit had two chances to effectively end the series, and essentially shit all over themselves both times.

Detroit is nowhere the team that the Spurs are. The spurs would have won at least ONE of the games on Cleveland's floor, and the series would have been pretty much over, the Cavs demoralized, at 3-1.

Neither Cleveland nor Detroit is that good. Sure, LBJ's game 5 performance was money, but it never would have come to that point had the Spurs been playing. It would have either been over in 4, or the Spurs would have been up 3-1 going in to last night, and put the foot on the throat to end the series like they did against Utah, Phoenix, and Denver. I think the first scenario is more likely, but either way, it's a 4th banner.

Detroit has proven not to have a killer instinct. Over and over. The Spurs have it.

Fuck Cleveland. We are going to kick the shit out of them.

That's all.

MaNuMaNiAc
06-01-2007, 10:11 AM
Seriously, you people need to stop STFU and stop tempting fate!! We still have FOUR MORE GAMES TO PLAY!!

Loose Cannon
06-01-2007, 10:16 AM
Humility, caution, and being afraid of jinxes are for the birds. We're going to fucking murder them.

boutons_
06-01-2007, 10:17 AM
Appropriate fear is in place.

But to hear wimps here, esp Whott The Fuck, rollover and hold their buttcheeks open anticipating James 1-on-5 to beat the HCA Spurs 4 times all by himself is risible.

fyatuk
06-01-2007, 10:18 AM
Because if you replace Detroit with the Spurs in the ECF, the series is a sweep.

The Spurs would not have given it away in the 4th quarter in both games 3 and 4 like Detroit has. They wouldn't have let both games slip away. Cleveland allowed 93 points a game, on average this year. If Detroit had just played to that average every game, the series would have been over in 4.

Did you watch games 1 & 2 of the Spurs/Jazz series?

We certainly let them back in the game, sort of.

At the very least it means you cannot say we wouldn't have lost the lead like Detroit did.

L.I.T
06-01-2007, 10:19 AM
Just what we need, another jumping the gun thread.

Loose Cannon
06-01-2007, 10:20 AM

At the very least it means you cannot say we wouldn't have lost the lead like Detroit did.

We let them back in the game to an extent. But I wasn't ever worried. The Spurs have had great closeout instincts in the 4th quarter in these playoffs.

There's no way that the Spurs even come close to losing either home game with the Cavs scoring 76 in each of those two. The Spurs worst game of the playoffs, offensively, was 77 points (I think).

101A
06-01-2007, 10:21 AM

Operative phrase = "sort of".

Spurs CRUSHED Utah in each home court game. Toyed with them, disposed of them; despite the "appropriate fear" many on this board were espousing. The Spurs DON'T lose playoff series to inferior opponents. How many years do they have to prove this?

Brutalis
06-01-2007, 10:22 AM
Tempting fate indeed. I don't see why so many people are hung on LBJ's dick.

41times
06-01-2007, 10:41 AM

That's all.

Really?

November 3rd @ San Antonio

Cleveland 88
Spurs 81

LeBron scores 35 points and has 10 rebounds and 4 assists

Jan 2nd @ Cleveland

Cleveland 82
Spurs 78

LeBron scores only 19 points and Cleveland still wins.

I"m not predicting a Cavs Championship but i will predict this.....The Suits in the League office in New York have a boner for LeBron today that's as big as Texas!

Loose Cannon
06-01-2007, 10:46 AM
Unlike Mavs fans, we don't really care about the regular season.

41times
06-01-2007, 11:02 AM
Unlike Mavs fans, we don't really care about the regular season.

And that is your first mistake.

Just like the Mavs fans and brass who said it did not matter that we lost all our games to the Warriors this year. The consensus was that we would rachet it up in the playoffs. It did not work out for us. Hopeuflly it will work out for the Spurs.

The trophy does not need to reside in freaking Ohio for a year!

101A
06-01-2007, 11:10 AM

Just like the Mavs fans and brass who said it did not matter that we lost all our games to the Warriors this year. The consensus was that we would rachet it up in the playoffs. It did not work out for us. Hopeuflly it will work out for the Spurs.

When it (finally) gets to Ohio, it's gonna stay awhile methinks.

SpursFanFirst
06-01-2007, 11:20 AM

Seriously. The Pistons are not very good. Second halves of 44 and 39 points in games 3 and 4. Cleveland was highly beatable in both of those games, but Detroit decided to play like crap and let the Cavs back in the series. The Spurs have had a ruthless killer instinct and a brutal efficiency in the playoffs this year. Seemingly every game that either closed out the series, or effectively closed out the series (Denver game 4/5, Phoenix game 6, Utah game 4/5), the Spurs pretty much dominated throughout. Detroit had two chances to effectively end the series, and essentially shit all over themselves both times.

Detroit is nowhere the team that the Spurs are. The spurs would have won at least ONE of the games on Cleveland's floor, and the series would have been pretty much over, the Cavs demoralized, at 3-1.

Neither Cleveland nor Detroit is that good. Sure, LBJ's game 5 performance was money, but it never would have come to that point had the Spurs been playing. It would have either been over in 4, or the Spurs would have been up 3-1 going in to last night, and put the foot on the throat to end the series like they did against Utah, Phoenix, and Denver. I think the first scenario is more likely, but either way, it's a 4th banner.

Detroit has proven not to have a killer instinct. Over and over. The Spurs have it.

That's all.

:depressed OK, first off, Detroit isn't very good now, which is kind of sad because I don't mind them.

But 2. Writing off the Cavs and saying the series would be a sweep is just ridiculous. You can't honestly believe that.
I think the Spurs are playing some phenominal ball right now, and when they're "on" as a team, they're pretty unstoppable!
But, that opens the door for the occasional letdown too...and they will, most likely, deliver at least one in the Finals. They tend to do that. It's :bang , but the good thing is, they learn from it and move forward.

If we play the Cavs, I'll say Spurs in 6.

BlackFlagg
06-01-2007, 11:26 AM
Really?

November 3rd @ San Antonio

Cleveland 88
Spurs 81

LeBron scores 35 points and has 10 rebounds and 4 assists

Jan 2nd @ Cleveland

Cleveland 82
Spurs 78

LeBron scores only 19 points and Cleveland still wins.

Your point is?

Nov. 29 Spurs vs. Utah - Spurs lose 75 - 83
Jan. 31 Spurs vs. Utah - Spurs lose 93 - 97
Feb. 1st Spurs vs. Phoenix - Spurs lose 87-103
April 17 Spurs vs. Denver - Spurs lose 77-100

Etc., etc., etc....

tmtcsc
06-01-2007, 11:27 AM
I agree about the Pistons. This team lost its identity when Larry Brown left. Flip has been bad for them. When Wallace left, it changed things even more.

When I saw them play the Spurs this year, it was very clear that they are not the same team we faced 2 years ago. They didn't have the same fight or intensity.

As for Cleveland, LeBron will give us fits but that's ok. Its not like we haven't let people go off on us before. At worst, we will make things hard for him and hold the rest of his team down.
Can you imagine LeBron averaging 38 pts and 10 rebs against us ? Amare did it and we almost swept them 2 years ago.

Last night was special. Those games don't happen multiple times unless you are D Wade and playing Dallas in the Finals.

If we play Cleveland, I hope it goes 6 so we finish it here. But I think it would be 4 or 5.

Loose Cannon
06-01-2007, 11:33 AM

The difference is that the Spurs are playing on a whole different level in the playoffs, whereas the Mavs were basically playing playoff-quality basketball the whole season.

So unlike with the Mavs, predicting future success based on regular season events is a mistake.

dbestpro
06-01-2007, 11:35 AM
Seriously, you people need to stop STFU and stop tempting fate!! We still have FOUR MORE GAMES TO PLAY!!
Fate is inevitable so it should be faced with confidence, determination and awe. To do otherwise is to cower and snatch defeat from the mouth of victory. Tempt fate? Spurs 2007 NBA Champions. There I said it. I dare fate to challenge the inevitable. There are no coward fans here.

MadDog73
06-01-2007, 11:44 AM
There are no coward fans here.

I wouldn't go so far as to call them "cowards", but they are definately superstitious.

I don't understand it myself. We all go to work on Friday the 13. I have no problem with black cats or ladders.

But I should not be confident the Spurs will beat the Cavs because somehow just writing those words on the internet will cause the Spurs to fail?

Whatever.

BUMP
06-01-2007, 11:52 AM
I think the Spurs are playing some phenominal ball right now, and when they're "on" as a team, they're pretty unstoppable!

when any team is "on" they're pretty unstoppable

Loose Cannon
06-01-2007, 11:56 AM
when any team is "on" they're pretty unstoppable

The Warriors especially.

SpursFanFirst
06-01-2007, 12:02 PM
The Warriors especially.

:lol