PDA

View Full Version : You know you are from Victoria when.....

ObiwanGinobili
06-01-2007, 04:18 PM
You call it "V-town"

You know who "Pepper" is

You remember when the big gorilla in front of Tom's vaccum worked.

You know that Pepper is the reason the gorilla no longer works.

You remember hurricanes fondly

A big concert for us is some dude or band from the 1980's playing at Sunvally..or Rhythem of the Road

We get excited if a new restaurant opens in town, even if it's Bennigans.

You spend 5 years at VC

Going for a cruise means driving down Navarro or Riverside Park.

You know what a ..1 or a ..7 is at Whataburger.

You have been to many pasture parties.... and can name the pastures.

You know where the convinence stores "Stacks" and "Chubby's" are

Cimmeron Express is your breakfast everyday.

Red Lobster and Carino's are considered upscale restaurants.

You camp out with your family on Main Street for 2 days for the Christmas parade just to see the low rider cars and Santa

There's a difference between the HEB's.

You claim you want to leave, but you never do.

You have Guera's on speed dial.( :tu)

The wind doesn't bother you, neither does humidity

"Meeting a celebrity" means standing in line at HEB next to Don Brubaker.

The morning commute is aggravated by "heavy traffic" between 8:05 and 8:08 AM on Miori Lane.

"Vacation" means driving to Port 'A or Port O'Connor

You still wear your letterman jacket (10 years after high school).

Your work or classes are canceled because of "dangerous" 30 degree weather.

You see people wear tank tops at funerals. ( :lol )

You think of the major food groups as beans, tortillas, and beer.

When it rains it's the talk of the town for days.

When it snows it's a national disaster. (1994, 2005)

During the summer, the car trunk doubles as an oven for your groceries.

The local paper covers national and international headlines on one page, but requires 6 pages for high school football.

You've had to switch from Heat to A/C in the same day.

You only own 3 spices: salt, pepper, and pico.

You find 98 degrees "a little warm," and 60 degrees downright freezing.

You think the only seasons are hot, damn hot, and winter.

You know if another person is from out of town the second he or she walks in the door.

You've had several friends move away and come back within a couple of months.

You know not to go "under the hill" alone at night.

Honeymoon means Corpus or Houston

You think Coleto Creek is a nice lake

You go every Thanksgiving to see CCR play at Schroeder Hall

You've gone muddin.

you've wrecked a truck muddin.

That truck wasn't even yours.

You've been to the "Texas" Zoo as a kid

You remember when Victoria had 2 high schools

Hanging out in the Wal-Mart parking lot is normal on a Friday night

You got excited when the new loop opened up by the mall and even went cruising on it to "check" it out

You think Salem Road is scary at night

You can still remember the smell of Mrs Bairds bread when the factory was open

You remeber when the "old" mall was the ONLY mall.

mookie2001
06-01-2007, 08:46 PM
its "staxxx"

and pepper is in the crew

hes a 6th degree black belt

mookie2001
06-01-2007, 08:55 PM
i told him to start posting but he said he has a toshiba and the screen doesnt work

thispego
06-01-2007, 09:05 PM
lololol

victoria still has two highschools... used to be three.

obi.. dont tell me you were one of those that hung out in the drug emporium and wal-mart parkinglots...please

Tres_Till_it_MHz
06-01-2007, 09:19 PM
Nothing about the damn train in the middle of town?

johnsmith
06-01-2007, 09:44 PM
..........you are a giant douche bag...........

Just finishing the title of the thread.

ObiwanGinobili
06-01-2007, 10:58 PM
lololol

victoria still has two highschools... used to be three.

obi.. dont tell me you were one of those that hung out in the drug emporium and wal-mart parkinglots...please

oh fuck no!
I got this list in an e-mail from a chick putting together the 10 yr Stroman Reunion.

(oh, and how ghetto is this: it's going to be at Coleto Creek... BYOB)

ObiwanGinobili
06-01-2007, 11:04 PM
:lmao

this reminds me... one time, it was alte and the 11:52pm train was coming thru, Emo and I lived on the other side of the tracks and we were stopped waiting for the train on our way home.
The train was doin one of those stop, backup, go forward, back up blah blah balh.
Pepper walks up to the train and is PISSED ass all hades that it;s in his way. :lol He's flipping the train the bird, and cussing at it. then he starts pacing up and down the side of the train stopping periodically to tell it off.

:lol..... ahhhhhhh goodtimes. good. times.

ObiwanGinobili
06-01-2007, 11:05 PM
now, we all know who brother gary moses is...but what you might not have known, is that gary has a brother who's the yin to his yang

His brother used to teach at Patti Welder..... and his students got him fired!!
He would just hand out work sheets and then just sit in the corner and read a novel.

leemajors
06-01-2007, 11:40 PM
stacks? chubbys? newbs. maverick market was where it was at, and cracker barrel would sell to 17 year olds. and being stuck with no shirt when the mosquito trucks drove by and hacking for 10 mins.

TDMVPDPOY
06-01-2007, 11:52 PM
i live in state of victoria :D:D:D

Cant_Be_Faded
06-02-2007, 07:46 AM
hhahaha

hyeah

5 years at VC woulda blown.

Cant_Be_Faded
06-02-2007, 09:07 AM
Too many redneck-isms, i had a solid crew for ~15 years straight and only one of my homies was true country. Several acquaintences were faux country.

The gorilla used to scare me as a little kid.

I did not see anything about Under the Hill/Victory Heights, Stroman getting owned by VHS for the better part of a decade, and when it snowed in 1994 i think it was the first time my young chode exploded. :smchode:

06-02-2007, 09:14 AM
:lmao

this reminds me... one time, it was alte and the 11:52pm train was coming thru, Emo and I lived on the other side of the tracks and we were stopped waiting for the train on our way home.
The train was doin one of those stop, backup, go forward, back up blah blah balh.
Pepper walks up to the train and is PISSED ass all hades that it;s in his way. :lol He's flipping the train the bird, and cussing at it. then he starts pacing up and down the side of the train stopping periodically to tell it off.

:lol..... ahhhhhhh goodtimes. good. times.

While I was working in Point Comfort, I lived on the corner of Navarro and Stayton for the better part of a year.

Got real damn tired of listening to them hump cars in the middle of the night.

BTW, no mention of the Brown Bag, Charlie's drive through liquor store?

leemajors
06-02-2007, 09:49 AM
the bag is hilarious, sports emporium was too. charlie's is still going strong, my stepmom is there several times a week. my family used to eat at veracruz several times a week. also no mention of Hungry's Thirsty's or Dairy Treet?

Cant_Be_Faded
06-02-2007, 11:46 AM
I thought it was Dairy's Teet? lol j/k

Hungry Jacks has good margarita deals :drunk

gtownspur
06-02-2007, 11:49 AM
You know you're from victoria if....

Your car has old english letters.

You buy your suits at the flea market.

You share the same cable, water supply, streetlight and prom queen.

You skipped the general elections to see a boxing match.

You'd put up shingles for a pack of Budlight.

Your an uttter and complete fucktard.

Your family vehicle is a dropped Silverado with 3 colors fading into each other, tons of plastic cosmetic deco, your last name in Old english and the Virgin in the back.

leemajors
06-02-2007, 11:50 AM
How far is Victoria from Htown?
2-2.5 hours.

gtownspur
06-02-2007, 11:55 AM
2-2.5 hours.

well it's not that bad i suppose.

gtownspur
06-02-2007, 11:57 AM
I heard Victoria is so broke, they had poofy San Marcos blankets and garlic cloves, as a raffle for the high school football boosters.

gtownspur
06-02-2007, 11:58 AM
You're from Victoria if you win a camaro in a contest and the first thing you do is give it an Aztec mural on the hood.

gtownspur
06-02-2007, 11:59 AM
Your from Victoria if you have wild boar for thanksgiving.

gtownspur
06-02-2007, 12:03 PM
You're from Victoria if your freinds invited you to go clubbing, but instead you crashed a "Quince".

Cant_Be_Faded
06-02-2007, 12:05 PM
at least gculo acknowledges the mexican aspect of victoria in his takes, yet i still don't get the puffy san marcos comment

gtownspur
06-02-2007, 12:10 PM
Your from Victoria if You own a Burnt Mp3 "Hit's" CD with these bands all in it.

Linkin Park
Intocable
Daniel Powter
Selena
Usher's "You got it Bad" Chopped and Screwed
Taking Back Sunday
Brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrronco
Beyonce
More Linkin Park
SPM
Mike Jones
Celso Pineda
50 cent
Metallica
Incubus
Pepe Aguillar..

gtownspur
06-02-2007, 12:11 PM
at least gculo acknowledges the mexican aspect of victoria in his takes, yet i still don't get the puffy san marcos comment

Those poofy mexican "fur like" blankets that all those wetback kids sleep with, the ones that have spongebob, Spiderman, and Barbie.

gtownspur
06-02-2007, 12:13 PM
Your from Victoria if you have the "Passion" Bootlegged.

Cant_Be_Faded
06-02-2007, 12:13 PM
hmmm, guess i wasn't born southside enough to make the connection.

gtownspur
06-02-2007, 12:16 PM
You're from Victoria if the tree trunks at your high school are painted white.

gtownspur
06-02-2007, 12:19 PM
Your from Victoria if your choices at a concession stand for a friday night football game are;

Roasted "Elote" Corn
Horchata
Fruit Pops
Barbacoa tacos
Budlight
Lime salted peanuts
Fruit cocktail drizzled in lemon juice in a styrofoam cup.

gtownspur
06-02-2007, 12:21 PM
Your mayor has a GED.

leemajors
06-02-2007, 12:30 PM
Your from Victoria if You own a Burnt Mp3 "Hit's" CD with these bands all in it.

Linkin Park
Intocable
Daniel Powter
Selena
Usher's "You got it Bad" Chopped and Screwed
Taking Back Sunday
Brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrronco
Beyonce
More Linkin Park
SPM
Mike Jones
Celso Pineda
50 cent
Metallica
Incubus
Pepe Aguillar..
you're really missing the total country hick aspect of vtown. duallies, glass paks, etc.

atxrocker
06-02-2007, 12:34 PM
lmao@victoria. that city fucking blows. it's funny to me that the surrounding even smaller towns look to "v-town" like it's the big city and shit. people from victoria should just be happy they didn't grow up in yoakum like some of my family did.

leemajors
06-02-2007, 12:42 PM
i don't think anyone has contested the cold, hard truth that victoria blows.

Cant_Be_Faded
06-02-2007, 01:01 PM
no shit

even so
still beats the fuck outta dallas :lol

leemajors
06-02-2007, 01:08 PM
negative, ghost rider. at least there is a bar scene that doesn't involve country music in dallas.

EDIT: Upon further reflection, Victoria is kinda like a suburb of a real city, but disconnected - real entertainment is simply not available nearby.

mavs>spurs2
06-02-2007, 03:12 PM
no shit

even so
still beats the fuck outta dallas :lol

That's why all the cool people are from Arlington :smokin

atxrocker
06-02-2007, 03:54 PM
fuck all your weekend plans, i've just been advised that the legendary tom-tom parade in yoakum is taking place. party of the year.

leemajors
06-02-2007, 04:31 PM
it's too bad that and the luling watermelon thump aren't on the same weekend.

06-02-2007, 04:40 PM
lmao@victoria. that city fucking blows. it's funny to me that the surrounding even smaller towns look to "v-town" like it's the big city and shit. people from victoria should just be happy they didn't grow up in yoakum like some of my family did.

Worked with a girl from Yoakum once.

Cute girl.

Big tits.

Common sense of a wet box of rocks.

Shelly
06-02-2007, 05:13 PM
So who is 'Pepper'?

Ignite
06-03-2007, 04:37 AM
Who the fuck is Victoria?

Buddy Holly
06-03-2007, 04:47 AM
I believe this is Victoria:

http://static.flickr.com/33/39523042_705d742630.jpg

ObiwanGinobili
06-03-2007, 07:30 AM
While I was working in Point Comfort, I lived on the corner of Navarro and Stayton for the better part of a year.

Got real damn tired of listening to them hump cars in the middle of the night.

BTW, no mention of the Brown Bag, Charlie's drive through liquor store?

I think we've made this comnnection before.... but when you were living on the corner of Navarro and Stayton, I was living on the corner of N De Leon and E. Commercial. We were probebly waiting at that light watching Pepper while you were riught next to us in bed with a pillow over your head cursing the railroad/cityplanning gods. :lol

ObiwanGinobili
06-03-2007, 07:46 AM
you're really missing the total country hick aspect of vtown. duallies, glass paks, etc.

no shit! :lol Ever seen a black cowboy? Who listens to country? I have.

guys showing up for school with mud all over thier boots because they've been up since 3:30 am fixing fences and baling hay to make some x-tra $$.

oh -and there are more churches than there are gas stations I swear.

ObiwanGinobili
06-03-2007, 07:58 AM
So who is 'Pepper'?

Pepper is this guy that walks around town.... as a famous comedian once said "working it out". Alot of times he walks kinda angry, yelling at the air or making furtive gestures. Other times he just power walks with intent.
He's african american, in his 50's by now, he's not homeless - but apparently has never been seen driving a car. He talks quick and crazy - like a fast version of Steven Segal.
He does have marketable skills and has been hired for temp jobs by several contractors around town (3 that I know of personally, and 1 that I did the books for .. we wrote his check out to "cash" :nerd ) to do driveways, hauling, drywall, and clearing. But has never been known to hold down a long term job.
Pepper has his own fashion sense that he got from whatever planet he came from. Camo pants, black boots and a suede vest over a bare chest go great with a fluffy pink scarf, purple baret and a red sock on one arm. He's also been seen sportin his own Beno-man-bag. But on him it just looks like a deadly weapon. My personal favorite was the gold lame fanny pack from the summer of 1998.
It is generally accepted that Pepper has a black belt in some martial art. It is debated weather he is a Vietnam Vet.
And if you go a week with out seeing Pepper working out his personal demons while walking down Navarro or by The 'Other' Store... well then somethign is not right with the universe.

Nevermind
06-03-2007, 08:57 AM
I have no intentions to ever go to Victoria after reading this thread. Well, maybe if.....

nevermind.

gtownspur
06-04-2007, 03:25 AM
There's alot of reasons to go to Victoria.... Like the tractor convention, The world's tallest Fried pie, the first ant carnival..

Phenomanul
06-06-2007, 08:21 AM
Those poofy mexican "fur like" blankets that all those wetback kids sleep with, the ones that have spongebob, Spiderman, and Barbie.

That comment was a little over the top dude....

AlamoSpursFan
06-06-2007, 08:34 AM
I don't have anything against Victoria...of course I've never lived there. :lol

One of my fondest memories is the time I was making a delivery to South Texas Office Products on Navarro and something moving on the sidewalk caught my eye. It was the biggest freaking gecko I have ever seen. And not the talking insurance spokesman variety either. Those little (well, except this one) brownish yellowish ones that climb up windows. It had to be a foot long if it was an inch. Looked like a freaking gila monster. You know how many mosquitoes a gecko has to eat to get that big? Holy crap!

ATRAIN
06-06-2007, 09:00 AM
does anyone know a girl names Missy (Melissa) Salinas from there. I had her for a few classes at TSTC (in Harlingen).

ShoogarBear
06-06-2007, 09:46 AM
I had her for a few classes at TSTC (in Harlingen).Whoa, what the hell kind of classes were those?

Ed Helicopter Jones
06-06-2007, 11:37 AM
Here are a couple of mine....

You know you are from Victoria when
- You believe Victoria is an actual city
- You can find it on a road map of Texas in under 4 minutes
- You have a valid reason to go to Victoria

AlamoSpursFan
06-06-2007, 11:42 AM
I've delivered to Victoria many times in 4 different jobs, so I've had valid reasons to go to Victoria (and I can find it on a map in seconds).

Does that mean I'm from Victoria?

Woohoo!!! I'm in the V-Town Crew!!!!

Ed Helicopter Jones
06-06-2007, 11:49 AM
I've delivered to Victoria many times in 4 different jobs, so I've had valid reasons to go to Victoria (and I can find it on a map in seconds).

Does that mean I'm from Victoria?

Woohoo!!! I'm in the V-Town Crew!!!!

I think your enrollment has pushed their citizenship up to triple digits! :clap

AlamoSpursFan
06-06-2007, 11:54 AM
:lol

ATRAIN
06-06-2007, 12:07 PM
Whoa, what the hell kind of classes were those?

hahah not like that

thispego
06-06-2007, 03:22 PM
when... you wonder why they've never reopened certain sections of riverside park. hmm.....