PDA

View Full Version : Ginobili, Argentina's golden Spur, knows how to win

Kori Ellis
12-01-2004, 03:08 PM
Ginobili, Argentina's golden Spur, knows how to win

By Joe Juliano

Inquirer Staff Writer

http://www.philly.com/mld/philly/sports/10309599.htm?1c

SAN ANTONIO, Texas - The standing of Manu Ginobili in the basketball world can't be measured by statistics, particularly the one that says he is averaging a modest 10.8 points in his two-plus seasons with the San Antonio Spurs.

While he may not be at the level of basketball royalty as is his teammate Tim Duncan, his list of achievements rivals that of any international player who has ever competed in the NBA.

In four seasons, Ginobili has been part of three championship teams: Italy's Virtus Bologna, the Euroleague winner in 2001; the Spurs, NBA champions in 2003; and Argentina, the Olympic gold medalist in 2004.

Of the three, helping win the gold medal for his home country, while not as big with his people as capturing the World Cup in soccer, probably was the most special moment for him.

"Winning an NBA championship is the biggest thing that can happen professionally because it's the top," Ginobili said in a recent interview.

"But representing your country - with more than 30 million people cheering for you and then seeing you up there on top of the podium - it's hard to find any more [words] to put on that," he said.

"It's huge, especially for a guy from Argentina," Ginobili said. "To win the NBA championship and the Olympic championship in two years, certainly it's impossible to think about. An American can do it, like [Michael] Jordan or David Robinson. But for a guy like me, it's unbelievable."

Ginobili shot 9 for 13 from the field, hitting 4 of 6 shots from three-point range, and scored 29 points in Argentina's 89-81 victory over Duncan and the United States in the semifinals in Athens. He then had 16 points and six assists in the 84-69 triumph over Italy that gave his country the gold medal.

Ginobili hasn't shown any signs of slowing down now that he's back in the NBA grind. Going into last night's game at Dallas, the 6-foot-6 swingman was averaging 15.8 points, 5.2 rebounds, 4.7 assists and 2.07 steals while shooting 49 percent from the field and 44 percent from three-point territory.

A reserve for his first two seasons in San Antonio, Ginobili is now starting and rapidly emerging as the dependable sidekick for Duncan. He can hit the outside shot, produce quick slashes to the basket, and lock down the man he's guarding.

"He's just hell-bent for leather, absolutely all-out," said San Antonio coach Gregg Popovich, whose team hosts the 76ers tonight at the SBC Center. "He plays with a ferocity at both ends of the court that's very unique, I think, in our league. Coaches love that stuff."

Popovich said the success enjoyed by Ginobili's teams had buoyed his confidence, making him "feel like he belongs in the top echelon of players on this planet." But he dismissed any suggestion that Ginobili's Olympic success elevated his game for the current season.

"He's played like this since he got here," Popovich said. "It's not like all of a sudden he won the gold medal so now he's excited and he's confident. The guy is 27 years old. He was the MVP of the European championship. He's just starting now instead of coming off the bench, but he was already confident."

Opposing coaches, such as the Sixers' Jim O'Brien, have seen Ginobili's self-assurance.

"He's a very confident player, such a great shooter from outside," O'Brien said. "He's so quick with his first step in getting past you. He takes charges and gets his hands on a lot of basketballs.

"He led his team to the gold medal, so you don't have any higher standards than he has had. He's certainly a guy that's part of a winning organization. There's no doubt that he's a big part of those organizations."

The long-range concern for Popovich and the Spurs is that Ginobili, as well as Duncan, will be worn out from competing in the Olympics and then enduring an 82-game regular season. The coach said he would monitor their practice time and be more apt to excuse them if they appeared tired.

Popovich substitutes for Ginobili frequently, more than with any other player, to keep him from running out of gas during the season. Ginobili was averaging 29 minutes through San Antonio's first 14 games.

For now, Ginobili said fatigue was not a factor.

"After 50 games, I'll see if I feel tired, but not now," he said. "After the Olympics, I rested for a month. Then Pop took care of us, trying not to kill us in training camp. So I'm not tired - well, at least no more tired than anybody else."

It's a good time for Ginobili. In the off-season, the Spurs signed him to a six-year, $52 million contract. He also got married last summer. With the Spurs' talent, led by Duncan, he has as good a chance as any player of being part of another NBA championship team come June.

That's better for him than thinking of an individual target, such as his first invitation to the NBA All-Star Game.

"If that happens, it would be great, but it's not my goal, to be in an All-Star Game," Ginobili said. "I want to win championships. That's the thing I enjoy the most, so that's the thing."

BigVee
12-01-2004, 03:48 PM
I can't imagine a better role model for someone interested in playing basketball, or playing sports in general. What a competitor. How many times have you seen him screw-up only to make up for it almost immediately on shear will alone? Others hang their heads, he goes and gets the ball back.

Rummpd
12-01-2004, 03:54 PM
I live in Philly and am psyched to see the Spurs continue to roll on local TV tonight - understand also on NBA TV but we don't get here.

A little scared of Philly streaky team that is improving with AI at the point and a kid named Korver who actually plays like Ginobli but in the end the Spurs will win this one.

MadDoc

TMTTRIO
12-01-2004, 04:13 PM
"If that happens, it would be great, but it's not my goal, to be in an All-Star Game," Ginobili said. "I want to win championships. That's the thing I enjoy the most, so that's the thing."

This is why I love the guy. He doesn't care about personal stats or how important he is, but he just goes out and plays with his all and 100% energy to help the team win

Duff McCartney
12-01-2004, 04:19 PM
I've talked to a few Argentina fans and the consensus down there seems to be that everyone thinks Tim and Tony are jealous of Manu.That they are holding him back and don't give him the ball. I dunno where they got this idea from. They got this from somewhere, who knows where, and they always ask me if it's true.

danyel
12-01-2004, 08:20 PM
I've talked to a few Argentina fans and the consensus down there seems to be that everyone thinks Tim and Tony are jealous of Manu.That they are holding him back and don't give him the ball. I dunno where they got this idea from. They got this from somewhere, who knows where, and they always ask me if it's true.

I dont know who you talked to, but I certainly dont agree with that...

I think many argentinian fans care more about Manu stats than Manu himself, they think Tony gets a better treatment from Pop and the Spurs (more minutes, press, shots).

SuperManu!!!
12-01-2004, 08:27 PM
Many of our nationals don't know very much about basketball so they start talking about something they don't understand too much. Now that basketball is gaining some relevance in Argentina, many fans want manu to have a 30pts per game without consideration that our offensive is focused in Duncan