PDA

View Full Version : Van Gundy losing popularity in Houston

ducks
12-01-2004, 03:30 PM
Fans chant ``Fire Gundy'' as Rockets trounced

December 1, 2004
The Houston Rockets were finishing up one of their worst performances of the season when a chant rang out from behind the bench.

``Fire Gundy'' the fans said in unison, prompting coach Jeff Van Gundy to turn and nod in their direction.

``I think it starts with me,'' Van Gundy said after a 93-72 loss Tuesday night to the Detroit Pistons. ``I'm going to get a group that looks like they really want to play. I just haven't provided that this year, and for that, I'm very apologetic to our fans.''

ADVERTISEMENT

The Rockets lost their fourth game in a row overall and fifth straight at home, dropping to 6-10 in a season that hasn't gone nearly as smoothly as predicted after Houston acquired Tracy McGrady in the offseason.

McGrady was held to 16 points for the Rockets, who were booed off the court as the game ended.

In other games, Portland defeated Seattle 100-94, San Antonio topped Dallas 107-89, Phoenix beat Utah 115-102, New York edged Atlanta 110-109 in overtime, Sacramento defeated Memphis 98-93, the Los Angeles Lakers topped Milwaukee 95-90, Toronto edged Miami 94-92, and New Jersey beat Charlotte 99-86.

Antonio McDyess had 19 points and 10 rebounds, and Richard Hamilton also scored 19 to help the Pistons snap a five-game road losing streak.

``That's the way we used to play,'' coach Larry Brown said. ``That's probably our best game all year.''

McDyess scored the Pistons' first 12 points in the opening 4 1/2 minutes, filling in admirably as All-Star center Ben Wallace completed a six-game suspension for his role in the Nov. 19 brawl with the Indiana Pacers. The Pistons went 3-3 without him, and they certainly didn't need him against the punchless Rockets.

Houston scored a season-low 72 points, committed 19 turnovers and attempted 16 fewer field goals.

``We're losing and it seems like it's the same type of effort every night,'' McGrady said. ``It's got to change because right now it's pretty embarrassing.''

Jim Jackson led Houston with 21 points and eight rebounds.

Spurminator
12-01-2004, 05:32 PM
Sports is a cruel business...

whottt
12-01-2004, 06:29 PM
Actually I think Van Gundy has sucked and deserves to be fired...how the heck did this guy get an 8 seed to the finals?