View Full Version : Cavs might steal one, but beyond that, they're done

td4mvp3
06-03-2007, 07:51 PM
Cavs might steal one, but beyond that, they're done
June 3, 2007
By Gregg Doyel
CBS SportsLine.com National Columnist
Tell Gregg your opinion!

Cleveland finished off Detroit on Saturday night for the Eastern Conference title, which is just friggin' great. The NBA Finals were already going to be devoid of suspense. Now they're going to be devoid of a Game 6, and possibly even a Game 5.

Take pride in that Eastern Conference trophy, because the fun ends in the Finals. (Getty Images)
See, Cleveland can't beat San Antonio. Not once. Not unless the Spurs pick a night to defeat themselves -- as they did in Game 3 of the Western Conference finals at Utah, when they took a night off to get ready for their closing barrage in Games 4 and 5.

Look, Detroit can't beat San Antonio either. Not four times in seven games. Maybe not even two or three times in seven games. But if the Pistons had gotten to the NBA Finals, they wouldn't have needed San Antonio to play possum on the road to win once or twice in Detroit.

It's the matchups, stupid.

Right here I'll pause to let you call me stupid. Go for it. Tell me my premise is undercut by the regular season, when Cleveland beat San Antonio twice in two tries, and when San Antonio swept two from Detroit. In other words, if I'm hearing you correctly, you're telling me I have it completely backward: That of the two Eastern Conference finalists, Cleveland -- not Detroit -- is the more likely choice to give the Spurs a competitive series.

You sucker.

That was the regular season. This is the playoffs, and the playoffs are different for a dominant team like San Antonio. The Spurs finished the regular season seeded third in the West, but ripped through the bracket. San Antonio needed just five games to eliminate Denver. Second-seeded Phoenix? That took six games. Utah? Five games.

After being above average in the regular season, the Spurs have become unstoppable, almost unbeatable, in the playoffs.

And with Cleveland on the other side of the court, the Spurs are unbeatable.

Matchups, people. Matchups.

In the Eastern Conference finals, Cleveland was lucky enough to run into a Detroit team with good balance but no individual greatness. That made the Pistons vulnerable to the kind of individual greatness only LeBron James can deliver.

The Spurs, however, are the Pistons on (legal) steroids. The Spurs have great balance and great individuals. LeBron can't beat the Spurs by himself, but unless Daniel Gibson can quintuple his season scoring average against the proud Spurs -- as he did Sunday against the pathetic Pistons -- James doesn't have the supporting cast to try it any other way. The Spurs can let LeBron score 40 and still win by 10.

The mismatches are inside and out. Cleveland has nobody to stop Spurs power forward Tim Duncan or point guard Tim Parker. Truth is, the only Cavalier with the size, strength and quickness to harness Duncan is LeBron James, but Cavs coach Mike Brown would be insane to wear out his one-man offense on defense. LeBron will get a cake assignment like Bruce Bowen, freeing him to score as many points as possible when Cleveland has the ball.

But LeBron won't be able to score enough points. Not with the Spurs able to get 25 any given night from Duncan, Parker and shooting guard Manu Ginobili. Who on the Cleveland roster is going to stay in front of Parker? Sore-footed Larry Hughes? The rookie, Gibson? Ancient Eric Snow? That's not happening. Nor does Cleveland have anyone to stop Ginobili, come to think of it.

This is where you remind me that Cleveland's perimeter defense can't be that bad, considering it stopped Detroit's Chauncey Billups and Richard Hamilton. So, naturally, this is where I remind you that A) Billups and Hamilton missed open shot after open shot and B) Parker is quicker than Billups. Parker will spend so much time in the lane, Cleveland's best hope might be that he draws a bevy of three-second violations.

San Antonio will run off Cleveland in four games, five tops. I have no illusions otherwise, and unless you want to be disappointed, you'd be wise to join me in my pessimism. The Pistons? They weren't going to get the better of the Spurs over the course of seven games, but once or twice or maybe even three times? It could have happened.

The Pistons could have bothered Duncan with a rotation of long, shot-blocking Rasheed Wallace, strong-and-quick Antonio McDyess and savvy veteran Chris Webber. Duncan still would have put up his MVP-type numbers, but he would have had to work a lot harder than he will against Cleveland's immobile Zydrunas Ilgauskas, ineffective Drew Gooden and spastic Anderson Varejao.

Likewise, the Pistons could have slowed Parker with Billups' muscles and Lindsey Hunter's old-school tricks. Detroit wouldn't have stopped Parker, I'm not saying that. But I'm saying -- I'm knowing -- Detroit has a roster that at least looks capable of slowing down the fastest player in the game.

Cleveland? Cleveland has the best player in the world, but LeBron James can't beat the Spurs by himself.

Although it'll be fun to watch him try.

Obstructed_View
06-03-2007, 07:59 PM
I bet Lebron will beat the Spurs by himself once during the series.

florige
06-03-2007, 08:17 PM
CBS always seems to pick the Spurs. And they are normally right on. But I think too that Lebron will get one game by himself. But the key word is lets just keep it at ONE. Better if none though!

Clutch20
06-03-2007, 10:03 PM
The Cleveland Caveliers are a team of one.
The San Antonio Spurs play "as one."

Obstructed_View
06-03-2007, 10:17 PM
The Cleveland Cavs, brought to you by the US Army...

http://www.usarc.army.mil/chaplain/graphics/goarmypatch.jpg

Lp26
06-03-2007, 10:22 PM
Spurs in 2.

BeerIsGood!
06-04-2007, 01:54 AM
The key for the Spurs is to not let the role players beat you. IMO, if the talent rich Suns with the best passer in the league, one of the best finishers at the rim, one of the fastest players in the league with finishing ability, one of the better TD defenders, one of the better Manu defenders, and capable 3 point shooters couldn't take this team down - The one man offense of LBJ won't be able to either. The Cleveland D may be slightly better than the Suns, but i'm not so sure. I just think they play at a slower pace.