PDA

View Full Version : Another Not-So Terra Plot Foiled

Nbadan
06-04-2007, 03:44 AM
If you've watched TV, listened to the radio, read a newspaper or browsed the InterTubes in the past 24-hours, then you've surely heard about the "unthinkable" plot to blow up JFK Airport, that was foiled just in the nick of time:

A retired airport cargo worker and a former member of parliament in Guyana were among four men charged with a plot that officials said was intended to cause mass casualties and cripple one of the world's busiest travel hubs.

Investigators acknowledged, however, that the scheme was so nascent that there was no developed plan for how the plotters would get explosives, let alone gain access to the tanks and pipelines they hoped to target.

Um... forgive me for being cynical, but we've been lied to so many times before, with Bush administration propagandists transforming the angry ramblings of narcissistic pizza-boys into sophisticated, 24-like conspiracies, well... I'm having trouble taking any of these stories seriously. I mean, I suppose I wouldn't chafe so much at the inconvenience of the enhanced security restrictions put in place in the wake of the infamous "plot" to bring down a jetliner by mixing a high-powered liquid explosive mid-flight, if the would-be terrorists actually had the resources or know-how to carry out their threat, or if the plan was at least, you know, scientifically possible.

"The devastation that would have been caused had this plot succeeded is unthinkable," Roslynn Mauskopf, U.S. attorney for the Eastern District of New York, said at a Saturday afternoon news conference in Manhattan to announce the arrests.

Yeah, and one of the things that makes this plot so "unthinkable" is that it couldn't possibly have worked. Fuel pipeline and storage tank explosions do occasionally happen, and while they can be tragic in their own right, they don't result in the immolation of entire storage facilities or miles of pipeline. Fuel is volatile, and so engineers tend to build in automatic cutoffs and other safety stuff like that. It's not like you can just light a fuse and the entire thing goes boom.

Can one imagine a plot like this succeeding in temporarily shutting down JFK? Sure. But then, so can a blizzard or an afternoon thunderstorm. Hell, if disrupting air travel is your goal, I'm guessing a bomb threat could be just as effective as an actual bomb, and much easier to execute. Leave a few identical, unattended bags scattered throughout the terminals, and then just sit back and watch the mayhem.

And while government officials were publicly painting the main suspect as a "self-radicalized New Yorker... plotting to betray his adopted country with a catastrophic attack," off the record, a federal law-enforcement official admits that the suspect seemed more like a "sad old guy who's got a lot of spit and vinegar in him."

Mmm. Add a little salt, pepper and spices, and you've got the makings of a low-cal salad dressing.

Defreitas "had some ideas" about what he wanted to do, said the U.S. law enforcement official who spoke on condition of anonymity. "But he was a long way off from being operational or even coming close to getting explosives or posing a direct threat to JFK." The official characterized the seriousness of the plot as "a notch below Fort Dix" -- the recent case in which a group of Muslim men in New Jersey were charged with planning a sniper attack on the military base.

Uh-huh. And I suppose, as far as serious terrorist threats go, the headline on this post ranks just a notch below the alleged JFK plot. We just don't know how widely spaced the notches are.

I'm not implying that this story was fabricated or that we shouldn't maintain our wariness, but while there are crazed religious fanatics out there, seemingly intent on destroying America, none have the means like those who currently occupy the White House. As sure as night turns into day, or our terror alert level turns from yellow to orange in the weeks before an election, the Bush administration routinely trots out hyperbolic accounts of would-be dirty bombers and pizza snipers and other such evil-doers in a transparent effort to frighten the American people into propping up their sagging support for a war in Iraq that is needlessly killing thousands of American soldiers, bankrupting our children's future, and destroying our credibility overseas.

Ironically, these mini victories in "The War on Terror" prove exactly the opposite of what the Bushies contend: it is not a massive display of military force that disrupted these "terrorist" plots, but good, old fashioned police work. If the JFK and Fort Dix conspiracies really were anything more than just idle, angry fantasies, then they were criminal acts, and our law enforcement officials should be thanked for yet another job well done. But these same officials do themselves and our national security a disservice when they allow their efforts to be manipulated for propaganda purposes by our war-mongering White House.

Huffington Post (http://www.huffingtonpost.com/david-goldstein/im-plotting-to-blow-up-l_b_50464.html)

The informatant, a convicted drug dealer who agreed to pose as a wannabe terrorist, secretly fed information to federal investigators in exchange for a lighter sentence.

Nbadan
06-04-2007, 03:50 AM
JFK plot had little chance of success
Terror: Documents show suspects were long on evil intent, short on capability.
By Michael Powell and William K. Rashbaum, The New York Times
06/03/2007 10:31:10 PM PDT

NEW YORK - The plot as painted by law enforcement officials was cataclysmic: A home-grown Islamic terrorist had in mind detonating fuel storage tanks and pipelines and setting fire to Kennedy International Airport, not to mention a substantial swath of Queens.

"Had the plot been carried out, it could have resulted in unfathomable damage, deaths and destruction," Roslynn R. Mauskopf, the U.S. attorney in Brooklyn, said in a news release that announced charges against four men.

---snip---

But a reading of the criminal complaint filed by the federal authorities against the four defendants in the case - one of them remained at large Sunday - suggests a less than mature terror plan, a proposed effort longer on evil intent than on operational capability.

At its heart was a 63-year-old retired airport cargo worker, Russell Defreitas, who the complaint says talked of his dreams of inflicting massive harm, but who appeared to possess little money, uncertain training and no known background in conceptualizing or planning a terror attack.

"Capability low, intent very high," a law enforcement official said of the plotters.

---snip---

Neal R. Sonnett, a defense lawyer and former federal prosecutor who was chief of the criminal division in the U.S. attorney's office in Miami, congratulated the FBI for fine police work in what was clearly "a prosecutable case." But he said: "There unfortunately has been a tendency to shout too loudly about such cases."

"It has a bit of the gang that couldn't shoot straight to it," he said. "It would have served the federal government well to say that."

Linky (http://www.presstelegram.com/news/ci_6054832)

Nbadan
06-04-2007, 04:04 AM
A snag in plot: Jet fuel doesn't easily explode
Last update: June 02, 2007 – 10:30 PM

But aviation experts cautioned Saturday that the alleged plot targeting John F. Kennedy International Airport in New York would have faced numerous hurdles, not the least of which is the fact that jet fuel does not easily explode.

"The level of catastrophe that may be created is much more limited than most people would expect," said Rafi Ron, former head of security at Tel Aviv's Ben Gurion International Airport in Israel. "The fuel that we are talking about is mostly jet fuel which, unlike the gasoline most people put into their cars, is not that susceptible to explosion."

That difficulty apparently concerned one of the alleged plotters -- an engineer who, federal authorities said in their complaint, explained to his associates that the tanks at JFK probably would require two explosions to provide enough oxygen to ignite the fuel.

But even then, aviation security experts said, fire would not have spread through the pressurized pipelines that bring fuel out to airplanes parked at gates.

Jet fuel is similar to kerosene and, unlike gasoline, requires very high temperatures to burn. Unless it is in vapor or mist form -- which can occur in an airplane crash -- jet fuel should not explode.

Star Tribune (http://www.startribune.com/484/story/1222149.html)

I would not be surprised if the whole thing turned out to be the idea of the FBI drug dealing "agent provocateur".

smeagol
06-04-2007, 09:59 AM
Your act is so old . . .

Extra Stout
06-04-2007, 10:07 AM
When that one official said that the plot could have been much more catastrophic than 9/11, and then I heard the details and realized there was no way for the pipeline to explode, because the chemistry just doesn't allow it, I did get rather irritated with that official. It was straight scaremongering.

Nbadan
06-04-2007, 03:08 PM
Check this out...Defreitas was hired by CIA airlines...

Defreitas was hired by a cargo transportation company at Kennedy Airport, Watts said. Documents show he was employed as a "trainee supervisor" in 2001 with Evergreen Eagle, a subsidiary of Oregon-based Evergreen International Aviation.

Newday (http://www.newsday.com/news/local/longisland/ny-liprof0604,0,7416105.story?coll=ny-main-breakingnewslinks)

Evergreen aircraft have, it seems, been used for "extraordinary renditions". Evergreen shows up twice in "A Witness List for House Hearings on Volume II of the CIA's Inspector General's Report on CIA Drug Trafficking"

* Evergreen Air - the mother of all CIA proprietary airlines and air operations since the demise of Air America

* Roy Reagan - Aircraft broker, longtime CIA associate convicted in 1998 of defrauding the government in a scheme to steal C-130's from the Forest Service, move them through CIA proprietary Evergreen Air facilities and into the drug trade. Some C-130's moved through Mena, AK. Most turned up overseas doing anything but fighting fires.

xrayzebra
06-04-2007, 03:11 PM
You got to love Dan, he starts a thread and then post to
himself. Wouldn't you love to see him in person and listen
to him to talk to himself......drive you nuts.

Nbadan
06-04-2007, 03:15 PM
From a fluff piece on Evergreen aviation...

To a large degree, Evergreen's fruits have come from doing the government's labor.

Officials estimate that, depending on the subsidiary, anywhere from 20 to 60 percent of Evergreen's contracts are with federal agencies. Customers include the Forest Service, Postal Service and Air Force.

Wahlberg ventures that about a fifth of the jobs at Evergreen's aircraft maintenance facility in Arizona arrive through public contracts. But then the Evergreen Air Center is one of only three facilities in the United States approved for all types of aircraft work.

Smith, a Republican who donates generously to like-minded congressional candidates, makes no secret of his fierce patriotism.

"If there's a need, we'll be there," he said. "The country doesn't have to ask. We'll volunteer. We're pledged to serve God and mankind."

Newsregister (http://www.newsregister.com/ss/goose/StaffCoverage/CompanyProfile.html)

Not too much of a give-away, huh?

SAtoDallas
06-07-2007, 10:11 AM
You got to love Dan, he starts a thread and then post to
himself. Wouldn't you love to see him in person and listen
to him to talk to himself......drive you nuts.
That's what I noticed too, kinda funny yet sad. Really you know what if this group of people didn't get caught and something happened, Dan and people like him/her would blast the Bush Administration for not taking terror threats seriously, conspiracies and all that stuff.

clambake
06-07-2007, 10:37 AM
That's what I noticed too, kinda funny yet sad. Really you know what if this group of people didn't get caught and something happened, Dan and people like him/her would blast the Bush Administration for not taking terror threats seriously, conspiracies and all that stuff.

Yeah, I don't know what Dan is worried about. I have been assured, over and over and over again, that it can't happen here if we fight them in Iraq.

xrayzebra
06-07-2007, 02:21 PM
^^No you haven't. But I would still find it better to fight most
our battles overseas than on the streets here.

As a matter of fact you and everyone else has been told it is only
a matter of time before we have some incident happen here.

Nbadan
06-08-2007, 01:32 AM
Yeah, I don't know what Dan is worried about. I have been assured, over and over and over again, that it can't happen here if we fight them in Iraq.

That's very funny. Seriously though, just once I would like to see a terra ring broken up were the primary informant wasn't the most guilty of the whole bunch.

GopherSA
06-10-2007, 05:20 PM
That's very funny. Seriously though, just once I would like to see a terra ring broken up were the primary informant wasn't the most guilty of the whole bunch.

I would simply like to see a terror ring made up of simpletons like these be broken up quickly enough as to not delay my flight to LaGuardia by FIVE FREAKING HOURS(!) last week.