PDA

View Full Version : No-Knock Warrants Kill People

Nbadan
06-04-2007, 04:12 AM
Last week, we were asking how police found themselves in the bedroom of a naked couple in Lancaster, Calif., in 2001, guns drawn.

This led to a discussion of the problem with "no-knock" -- or even "shout-once-and-storm-in" -- search warrants.

On Nov. 21 of last year, Atlanta police planted marijuana on Fabian Sheats, a "suspected street dealer."

They told Sheats they would let him go if he "gave them something." Sheats obligingly lied that he had spotted a kilogram of cocaine nearby, giving them the address of the elderly spinster Miss Kathryn Johnston, who neither used nor dealt drugs, but who did live in fear of break-ins in her crime-infested neighborhood.

Police then lied to a judge, claiming they had actually purchased drugs at the Johnston house.

They acquired one of those once-rare "no-knock" warrants, and violently battered down the reinforced metal door of a private home where there were no drugs.

Miss Johnston fired a warning shot at the unknown people busting down her door.

That bullet lodged in the roof of her porch, injuring no one. Police replied by firing 39 rounds at her, hitting her five times, and wounding each other with another five rounds -- though they lied and said they'd been shot by Miss Johnston.

They then handcuffed the old woman as she bled to death on the floor and searched her house. Finding no drugs, they planted three bags of marijuana.

The next day, the cops picked up one Alex White, an informant, advising him that they needed him to lie, saying that he had purchased cocaine at Johnston's house.

White refused, managed to escape and went to the media with the story.

Last month, two of those officers pleaded guilty to manslaughter -- deals that helped them escape murder charges -- and now face more than 10 years in prison, after authorities demonstrated the officers lied to get their warrant.

Greg Jones of the Atlanta FBI office said at a news conference that the FBI is investigating "additional allegations of corruption that Atlanta police officers may have engaged in similar conduct."

Fulton County District Attorney Paul Howard said he has started to review hundreds of other cases involving officers Jason Smith and Gregg Junnier; convictions may be overturned. Last week, Police Chief Richard Pennington transferred his entire narcotics squad to other duties, contending his department would review its policy on "no-knock" warrants and its use of confidential informants.

That "review" and seven bucks will get you a fancy cup of coffee at Starbucks.

Linky (http://www.lvrj.com/opinion/7812557.html)

Isolated incident? Check out this map from the Cato Institute about botched Paramilitary Police Raids:

An Epidemic of "Isolated Incidents" (http://www.cato.org/raidmap/)

BacktoBasics
06-04-2007, 10:46 AM
Good think gun control kept her from having a gun in the first place and killing herself....oh wait guns don't kill people.

jacobdrj
06-05-2007, 07:28 AM
Good think gun control kept her from having a gun in the first place and killing herself....oh wait guns don't kill people.

?

I don't get it, sarcasm isn't supposed to be this ambiguous. Are you pro or con gun control?

RandomGuy
06-05-2007, 08:46 AM
But hey, everything changed after 9-11.

Especially our willingness to be killed by the police in order for us to be not killed by terrorists.

BacktoBasics
06-05-2007, 09:10 AM
To clarify: I don't think she should have had the gun in the first place. Had she not been armed she'd be alive. This is exactly why allowing the general public to carry firearms is a bad idea. Every person gets an itchy trigger figure from time to time.

With that said I don't agree with what the police officers did. I don't agree with a lot of their tactics.

Lebowski Brickowski
06-05-2007, 09:51 AM
To clarify: I don't think she should have had the gun in the first place. Had she not been armed she'd be alive. This is exactly why allowing the general public to carry firearms is a bad idea. Every person gets an itchy trigger figure from time to time.

With that said I don't agree with what the police officers did. I don't agree with a lot of their tactics.

Actually, if the cops didn't have any guns she would still be alive.

Or, if the cops hadn't lied to get the no-knock warrant on the old lady, she'd still be alive.

The italicised statement above is pure conjecture.

xrayzebra
06-05-2007, 10:14 AM

Hmm, do you live in Texas? Legal in Texas to carry, with
a permit. Funny thing, only shootings I hear of are the
ones who don't have permits. Seems as though they are
a lot people killed/cut up with knives. Should we
outlaw knives too?

BacktoBasics
06-05-2007, 11:29 AM
Actually, if the cops didn't have any guns she would still be alive.

Or, if the cops hadn't lied to get the no-knock warrant on the old lady, she'd still be alive.

The italicised statement above is pure conjecture.I don't disagree with that. Sometimes pointing out the obvious leaves too many doors for you guys to open. The simple fact is that she opened fired and they returned fire. I don't at all agree with the situation but I brought it down to its simplist form.

I'm going to debate what was initially intended to be sarcasm. Europe has done pretty well with gun control. I think the laws for knife control are fine right now. Had she had a knife they would have just brought her down....and not with bullets.

Nbadan
06-05-2007, 12:59 PM
That bullet lodged in the roof of her porch, injuring no one. Police replied by firing 39 rounds at her, hitting her five times, and wounding each other with another five rounds -- though they lied and said they'd been shot by Miss Johnston.

This was a massacre. They fired 39 high-powered rounds. You have to wonder if they ever got off a 'Police' in all their apparent enthusiasm.

BacktoBasics
06-05-2007, 01:38 PM
This was a massacre. They fired 39 high-powered rounds. You have to wonder if they ever got off a 'Police' in all their apparent enthusiasm.
I don't dispute that either. I guess it just goes to show guns don't always protect you.

DarkReign
06-05-2007, 03:54 PM
I don't dispute that either. I guess it just goes to show guns don't always protect you.

Especially against trained local government law enforcement officers who outnumber you almost 10-1 (if not more).

Vizzini
06-05-2007, 03:57 PM
I remember hearing about this, I can't beleive it was totaly BS. WTF!

BacktoBasics
06-05-2007, 04:36 PM
Especially against trained local government law enforcement officers who outnumber you almost 10-1 (if not more).With that said maybe she needed better firearms or actually more of them.

DarkReign
06-06-2007, 12:53 AM
With that said maybe she needed better firearms or actually more of them.

Either that was a joke, or I am once again in dire need of an "over your head" smilie.

KORI!

BacktoBasics
06-06-2007, 10:01 AM
I was serious clearly her whimpy firearm didn't do what it was intended to do and thats protect her. She probably could have used something automatic or nuclear.

BacktoBasics
06-06-2007, 11:09 AM
Well she has a right to protect herself.