PDA

View Full Version : What is worse?

Jimcs50
06-04-2007, 08:09 AM
A. Playing in Finals with no interest at all?

B. Playing in the Finals against the second coming of MJ, and having to listen to Lebron vs MJ comparisons all week long, prior to the start of the series?

Who is the other team in the Finals, anyway? I have not heard the word Spurs uttered for 2 days. All I hear is King James this and Lebron that.

I'm affraid by Thursday night, I am going to puke my Cheerios on the way to work?

I long for the days of SA vs NJ or SA vs Detroit when everyone asks, "who is playing in the Finals, anyway?"

:bang

:p:

L.I.T
06-04-2007, 08:12 AM
Just tune them out till after the first game. Then enjoy the squirming.

ATXSPUR
06-04-2007, 08:17 AM
A. Playing in Finals with no interest at all?

B. Playing in the Finals against the second coming of MJ, and having to listen to Lebron vs MJ comparisons all week long, prior to the start of the series?

Who is the other team in the Finals, anyway? I have not heard the word Spurs uttered for 2 days. All I hear is King James this and Lebron that.

I'm affraid by Thursday night, I am going to puke my Cheerios on the way to work?

I long for the days of SA vs NJ or SA vs Detroit when everyone asks, "who is playing in the Finals, anyway?"

Calm down. It isnt that bad. I am actually enjoying being in a finals that is hyped this year. Besides the more the Spurs are overlooked the better.

Magic_Johnson
06-04-2007, 08:21 AM
now more people are going to watch the finals and they will see how good the spurs are instead of listening the media telling they are boring and dirty

Jimcs50
06-04-2007, 08:24 AM
Calm down. It isnt that bad. I am actually enjoying being in a finals that is hyped this year. Besides the more the Spurs are overlooked the better.

I know AFTER they start, it will be better, but how do I keep my breakfast down in the meantime????

ATXSPUR
06-04-2007, 08:38 AM
I know AFTER they start, it will be better, but how do I keep my breakfast down in the meantime????

Well look at it this way...atleast they are actually analyzing the finals more instead of talking about f'ing baseball like they did in all our other finals...just think about how good the Spurs are gonna look after all this bron bron buildup.

easjer
06-04-2007, 08:56 AM
Hard to say. I'm tired of hearing about LeBron and the lovefest that accompanies anything he does.

But it's nice to think people may watch. It's nice to think that we could kick his ass.

Unfortunately, nearly everyone thinks that the Spurs will win. So it's like none of the fun of being in the finals with all the LeBron jock riding and none of the benefits of being the underdog, because they are expected to be the better team.

Obstructed_View
06-04-2007, 09:00 AM
I have trouble figuring out a "what is worse" scenario when both choices start with "playing in the finals". What is worse is losing to an inferior team because your team won't play all their personnel or having your second leading scorer taken out of the playoffs by a cheap shot.

Jimcs50
06-04-2007, 09:02 AM
Well look at it this way...atleast they are actually analyzing the finals more instead of talking about f'ing baseball like they did in all our other finals...just think about how good the Spurs are gonna look after all this bron bron buildup.

This is the one thing that I think the NBA has fucked up with in their marketing the last 20 years. In the NFL, they promote the great teams(Pittsburgh, Dallas, San Fran and New England), whereas in the NBA, they never talk about great teams. It is all about the individuals. This is a team game, and no great player has won consistantly by himself, yet all they talk about is Kobe or Lebron, Shaq or AI. So if you have a Finals without one of the superstars, they ignore it and when one is in the Finals, he is all they talk about.

That, my friends is poor marketing. The Super Bowl is huge, even if there are no stars in it, just great teams.......I wish the NBA could be like that.

Jimcs50
06-04-2007, 09:03 AM
I have trouble figuring out a "what is worse" scenario when both choices start with "playing in the finals". What is worse is losing to an inferior team because your team won't play all their personnel or having your second leading scorer taken out of the playoffs by a cheap shot.

that is not one of my choices!!!!

A or B....it is quite simple, really.

ClingingMars
06-04-2007, 09:04 AM
I have trouble figuring out a "what is worse" scenario when both choices start with "playing in the finals".

Amen to that. I don't really care as long as we're playing for the championship.

-Mars

Ocotillo
06-04-2007, 09:37 AM
This is the one thing that I think the NBA has fucked up with in their marketing the last 20 years. In the NFL, they promote the great teams(Pittsburgh, Dallas, San Fran and New England), whereas in the NBA, they never talk about great teams. It is all about the individuals. This is a team game, and no great player has won consistantly by himself, yet all they talk about is Kobe or Lebron, Shaq or AI. So if you have a Finals without one of the superstars, they ignore it and when one is in the Finals, he is all they talk about.

That, my friends is poor marketing. The Super Bowl is huge, even if there are no stars in it, just great teams.......I wish the NBA could be like that.

If the Beatles had been managed by the NBA marketing gurus rather than Brian Epstein they would have been "John Lennon and the Beatles".

Obstructed_View
06-04-2007, 09:39 AM
that is not one of my choices!!!!

A or B....it is quite simple, really.

Actually, I really can't get past "playing in the finals" enough to care about anything else. I'm happy for Mike Brown and Lebron James, and as a Spurs fan, I'd much rather the Spurs not have a week off where they have to read about how great they are. They have a much better chance to show up ready to play on Thursday if they are ignored.

SpursIndonesia
06-04-2007, 09:52 AM
C. Not playing in the final at all.

hater
06-04-2007, 09:53 AM
stop bitching. Media has been mentioning the SPurs and most have picked Spurs as overwhelming favorite.

Extra Stout
06-04-2007, 10:11 AM
now more people are going to watch the finals and they will see how good the spurs are instead of listening the media telling they are boring and dirty
Except that, since both teams stress defense, the games will be 85-80 with 38% shooting.

SequSpur
06-04-2007, 10:12 AM
I don't read anything, I'm just waiting for game time.

midgetonadonkey
06-04-2007, 10:12 AM
What kind of Cheerios do you eat?

Jimcs50
06-04-2007, 10:14 AM
stop bitching. Media has been mentioning the SPurs and most have picked Spurs as overwhelming favorite.

Your local media in SA...yes. The country's media...zilch. I have not heard the word Spurs mentioned but one time all morning on ESPN and Fox sports.

I almost forgot that they were in the Finals, to be honest.

:lol

Jimcs50
06-04-2007, 10:16 AM
What kind of Cheerios do you eat?

http://www.honeynutcheerios.com/Images/box.jpg

tlongII
06-04-2007, 10:23 AM
Your local media in SA...yes. The country's media...zilch. I have not heard the word Spurs mentioned but one time all morning on ESPN and Fox sports.

I almost forgot that they were in the Finals, to be honest.

:lol

That's ridiculous. Would you like me to post links to all the stories proclaiming that the Spurs will win this series easily? Almost every single national site has the Spurs winning this thing handily. It's a good thing that I know they are wrong.

bigzak25
06-04-2007, 10:25 AM
If 23 is the 2nd coming of 23. It is an honor to be the first team to beat his ass for a championship.

GSH
06-04-2007, 10:50 AM
Post-season revenues are extremely important to the Spurs organization. Those revenues help pay for quality players. As much as I would like to see a sweep, it would be a lot better for the Spurs if it went 6 or even 7.

You should face facts...San Antonio is a small media market. And LeBron is a media darling. The kid who comes straight out of high school, and makes the NBA finals as soon as they get some decent players around him. If it helps the ratings, it indirectly helps the Spurs. Don't worry, the score isn't decided by SI.com. But if they can conjure up some suspense, let them.

The one other thing a lot of Spurs fans should do is forget the idea that the rest of the world is going to love the Spurs as much as the people in San Antonio (or Argentina). The won't. And they aren't going to appreciate the "nice guys do finish first" stories too much either. However undeserved it may be, the "bad boys" image that evolved this year could be good for a creating few more intense rivalries. Hopefully, ratings will come with those.

If the league is really the conspiracy-laden cesspool that many claim, then they made a serious mistake over the past several years by not countering the notion that the Spurs are boring. If there is a ratings-killer, that is definitely it. But what would they counter it with? The fans who are educated enough to appreciate textbook basketball are going to be watching anyway. The others want to see someone dunk the basketball like a team mascot coming off a trampoline. They want to see no-look, behind-the-back passes that actually go through the defenders shorts and then lead to spectacular finishes.

LeBron will draw additional fans to the Finals the same way John Daly drew new fans to golf. But for that to happen, they have to be convinced that they are going to get to see a show. Those golf fans didn't care if Daly won the tournament. They lined up to watch him hit cannon-shots with his driver, and to scream, "You da man!" Hopefully, LeBron will get some new posters, and the Spurs will get another trophy. And the Spurs organization will get more post-season revenues.

See? We can just all get along. I love this game!

Jimcs50
06-04-2007, 11:06 AM
Post-season revenues are extremely important to the Spurs organization. Those revenues help pay for quality players. As much as I would like to see a sweep, it would be a lot better for the Spurs if it went 6 or even 7.

You should face facts...San Antonio is a small media market. And LeBron is a media darling. The kid who comes straight out of high school, and makes the NBA finals as soon as they get some decent players around him. If it helps the ratings, it indirectly helps the Spurs. Don't worry, the score isn't decided by SI.com. But if they can conjure up some suspense, let them.

The one other thing a lot of Spurs fans should do is forget the idea that the rest of the world is going to love the Spurs as much as the people in San Antonio (or Argentina). The won't. And they aren't going to appreciate the "nice guys do finish first" stories too much either. However undeserved it may be, the "bad boys" image that evolved this year could be good for a creating few more intense rivalries. Hopefully, ratings will come with those.

If the league is really the conspiracy-laden cesspool that many claim, then they made a serious mistake over the past several years by not countering the notion that the Spurs are boring. If there is a ratings-killer, that is definitely it. But what would they counter it with? The fans who are educated enough to appreciate textbook basketball are going to be watching anyway. The others want to see someone dunk the basketball like a team mascot coming off a trampoline. They want to see no-look, behind-the-back passes that actually go through the defenders shorts and then lead to spectacular finishes.

In a very real sense, LeBron will draw additional fans to the Finals the same way John Daly drew new fans to golf. But for that to happen, they have to be convinced that they are going to get to see a show. Those golf fans didn't care if Daly won the tournament. They lined up to watch him hit cannon-shots with his driver, and to scream, "You da man!" Hopefully, LeBron will get some new posters, and the Spurs will get another trophy. And the Spurs organization will get more post-season revenues.

See? We can just all get along. I love this game!

Oh great, you have to go and bring logic into the conversation.

I know what you are saying, it just never ceases to amaze me how the NBA markets their sport as an individual sport when it is a team sport. This is not golf or tennis, but you would think so.

Had the NBA marketed the Bulls in the 90's and Spurs all this decade(not just MJ), they would have made a lot more money and their ratings would be a lot higher, without having to wish and hope that some "superstar" makes the Finals.

Had the Bulls been toted insteadof MJ, the NBA would not have had that huge drop off in popularity when he retired....makes sense, yes?

The NFL will always be number 1, because they do not rely on stars, they rely on the product and the teams, and that remains a constant.

Borosai
06-04-2007, 11:07 AM
I have avoided SportsCenter like the plague, and will do so until after the series. It's nauseating how they kneel down and comb out LeYawns pubes hour after hour, mixed in with a sweet little peck on the scrotum of course.

Even after the Spurs win, it will be about LeYawn.

slacker77
06-04-2007, 11:10 AM
having to watch LJ's weird ass sprite commercials in between timeouts..

Jimcs50
06-04-2007, 11:55 AM
having to watch LJ's weird ass sprite commercials in between timeouts..

no shit...those Spite commercials are the worst commercials in the history of ads. I have to watch those piece of crap commercials every time I go to the movies and it is enough to make me want to stop going to movies.

WTF is Sub lymonal, anyway?

Ed Helicopter Jones
06-04-2007, 12:21 PM
I think this fits the Spurs mentality perfectly. Heck, it might even help them get motivated. Perhaps they can convince themselves they're actually the underdogs.

CubanMustGo
06-04-2007, 01:44 PM
Except that, since both teams stress defense, the games will be 85-80 with 38% shooting.

You wait - if the Cavs win by that kind of a score there will be nobody calling them "methodical," "plodding," or "boring."