PDA

View Full Version : James Has Cavs Chanting Championship

SpursFanFirst
06-04-2007, 10:37 AM
Making his teammates better
By Dan Wetzel, Yahoo! Sports
June 3, 2007
http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news?slug=dw-cavaliers060207&prov=yhoo&type=lgns

CLEVELAND – "Make way for the superstar!" shouted LeBron James to the throng crowded outside the victorious Cleveland Cavaliers locker room. "Make way for the superstar!"

Whatever King James asks around here, King James gets, of course. Only he started laughing as a path was cleared not for him but also for his previously anonymous teammate, Daniel "Boobie" Gibson, who entered this series as a role player, a rookie and a second-round pick and ended it with 31 knockout points on the Detroit Pistons.

Cleveland finally rocked Saturday, this long hopeless, mostly helpless franchise growing stronger and stronger, higher and higher with each passing game until a wave of building, budding confidence just crashed its way into the NBA finals.

James produced 20 more points, 14 more rebounds and eight more assists Saturday in the Cavaliers' 98-82 silencing of Detroit, but nowhere in any box score was a measurement of James' ageless leadership ability and contagious confidence. There was no measure of its profound effect on his unheralded, uneven supporting cast that keeps getting better by the day. There was nothing of an icon acting as the bodyguard for a lowly rook.

Gibson entered Game 2 of this series averaging 3.7 points in the playoffs. But he got his chance, drained a few three-pointers and immediately had LeBron hugging him on the court, whispering in his ear and lifting him up.

If Gibson, the 42nd pick in last June's draft, wasn't certain he was ready for a starring role in the Eastern Conference finals against that vaunted Pistons backcourt, James was. He had watched his work ethic all season. He had been telling him that when he got his chance he'd deliver.

Now that the time was here, LeBron kept telling him and telling him and telling him until the rest of the series the kid from Texas with the silly nickname averaged 17.8 points and became a weapon Chauncey Billups and Richard Hamilton couldn't handle.

None of it happens without James. No way. Not Boobie, not Drew Gooden's baseline jumpers, not Anderson Varejao's tenacious inside play, not the Pistons' reduction to nothing but shouting at officials, not this frantic, frenetic college-like crowd, not an entire franchise that never had any reason to believe in anything suddenly rising up.

James may be 22, but he's always been a leader. His boyhood friends back in Akron say he dominated Pop Warner football games. When he was a high school freshman, he was the best player in Ohio, everyone looking to him, everyone focusing on stopping his game. He compared what Gibson did Saturday to what his best friend, Dru Joyce, did when they were freshmen in the Ohio state championship game. The defense focused on LeBron; Joyce won the game.

Different stage, different kid, same result.

"He told me he was going to make me something special," Gibson said. "He told me to keep shooting, don't hesitate.

"When a guy like that tells you that, you step to it with a lot of confidence and knock it down for him."

Yes, for him, everything for him. James is such an oversized superstar – the commercials, the highlights, the international fame – that he could cast an awful shadow over his locker room. Yet he stuns each and every member of this organization with his humility, his friendship, his desire to take even the most nervous of rookies under his wing if it might, just might, make this team better.

"I just knew he was going to be something special and tonight it was perfect," James said.

You've never seen a team grow so fast, so furious. Every moment seemed to build toward this, every decision James made a part of a master plan that would pay off.

He was criticized for half of his moves by so many knee-jerk skeptics, but giving up the potential game-winning shot in Game 1 led to Detroit having to respect the pass in Game 5 and his teammates developing boundless confidence in Game 6.

The averages of 25.7 points, 9.2 rebounds and 8.5 assists in this series were just some of the magic LeBron worked here. The rest were the little conversations, the postgame praise for his guys, the talks on the plane, the bus, the locker room, the way he makes everyone – even the old veterans – do it for him.

James was never going to let this series get away. He alternated between dominating when necessary and playing motivator for his teammates when possible; he was like a parent teaching his kid to ride a two-wheeler, letting go and grabbing on at just the right moments. On Thursday, he scored the final 25 points. On Saturday, the other Cavs scored the first 18.

If two teammates hadn't missed wide-open game-winners in the first two games, Cleveland would have won this series 6-0. But even with the misses, LeBron never criticized, never pouted or frowned. He just kept telling them to shoot, kept telling them they were good enough, kept telling them this was possible.

"From day one I've chanted, 'One, two, three, championship,' " James said of the way he breaks huddles. "Funny faces at first looked at me. I didn't care. I kept it going. 'One, two, three, championship' every single day."

And then he worked to make it happen. Not just by making himself better but by making everyone else better. One, two, three. Every single day.

Make way for the superstar, he said. Make way for these Cavaliers.

Hm. Do you think Timmy ever told Manu or Tony..."I'm going to make you something special?" :vomit:
Up to this point, I've been impressed with the way James has handled himself. I really hope he doesn't get too full of himself.

cherylsteele
06-04-2007, 10:41 AM
Maybe LeBron is thinking about that fishing tournament.

Mr. Body
06-04-2007, 10:43 AM
'Chanting' championship? Who writes this crap?

SpursFanFirst
06-04-2007, 10:49 AM
'Chanting' championship? Who writes this crap?

:lol I don't know. I grabbed it from Yahoo. It was on their front page.

AnotherArgie
06-04-2007, 10:51 AM
The more hype, the better. It's going to be so cool to put them down. I can't wait.

SAGambler
06-04-2007, 10:56 AM
If two teammates hadn't missed wide-open game-winners in the first two games, Cleveland would have won this series 6-0.

Somebody needs to let this guy in on a secret........First one to 4 wins and it's over.

SAGambler
06-04-2007, 11:00 AM
Hm. Do you think Timmy ever told Manu or Tony..."I'm going to make you something special?"

The question should be "Do you think Timmy has made Manu and Tony special?

This guy is gonna have a sore throat when he is through deep throating James all week.

florige
06-04-2007, 11:51 AM
I love how the media has all but disregarded us. This is gonna be sweet!

BWJACKETS
06-04-2007, 12:12 PM
The more hype, the better. It's going to be so cool to put them down. I can't wait.

Just like last series for Cleveland, they have no pressure in this series at all. Nobody expected them to make it here, nobody is giving us a chance, and that is exactly why this team is primed to "Rise Up" and win this thing. San Antonio has all the pressure in this series, they have already been penciled in as champions by the media, if they lose now people will say they choked, and if they win it is against an "inferior" opponent.

Cleveland will make this a series, the Spurs are not going to win any games in Cleveland. The question becomes, will Cleveland win any in SA? I am going to say right now that this series will go six or seven games, Lebron is the best player in the league and will do what needs to be done to put the Cavs in a situation where they are never out of it.

Mr. Body
06-04-2007, 12:17 PM
Cleveland will make this a series, the Spurs are not going to win any games in Cleveland.

San Antonio will win at least one in Cleveland.

No team has ever held court the middle three games, and the first ain't gonna be this team.

Martin R
06-04-2007, 12:19 PM
who is this drug some people is trying lately? It looks damn good to write with no sense.

Spurminator
06-04-2007, 12:19 PM
No team has ever held court the middle three games, and the first ain't gonna be this team.

Detroit did in 04, didn't they?

Mr. Body
06-04-2007, 12:21 PM
Detroit did in 04, didn't they?

You know what? I believe it happend last year, too. Miami.

But I seriously don't see Cleveland winning all three at home. That'd be amazing.

ShoogarBear
06-04-2007, 12:21 PM
No team has ever held court the middle three gamesThat will certainly come as a surprise to the 2004 Pistons.

EDIT: Piling on, I guess.

Ed Helicopter Jones
06-04-2007, 12:24 PM
Well, they ARE the Eastern champs.

If Cleveland adds a piece or two they could be in the Finals for the next several years. They could become the Buffalo Bills of the NBA.

CavsSuperFan
06-04-2007, 12:24 PM
Since the Spurs can’t match up with LeBron, the flopping is going to get out of control...Lets hope that the referees don’t buy into Manus, Parker's and Duncan’s very tiresome act.... :dramaquee

Also since the Cav’s have already beaten the better teams...I am a bit worried that they feel like they have already won the title....I just hope they realize they have unfinished business..... :toast

duncan228
06-04-2007, 12:27 PM
...since the Cav’s have already beaten the better teams...

Better teams on the East, right?
Because there's nothing on the East that compares with the West.

Just making sure I understand you.

ClingingMars
06-04-2007, 12:35 PM
Parker's and Duncan’s very tiresome act.... :dramaqueen

Duncan DOES NOT FLOP. He blocks your shot instead. Parker doesn't flop either, he actually makes it easier for the refs to call a foul on him.

-Mars

Mr. Body
06-04-2007, 12:35 PM
That will certainly come as a surprise to the 2004 Pistons.

EDIT: Piling on, I guess.

Department of Redundancy Department.

Mr. Body
06-04-2007, 12:38 PM
Well, they ARE the Eastern champs.

If Cleveland adds a piece or two they could be in the Finals for the next several years. They could become the Buffalo Bills of the NBA.

:lol

Yet they're already over the cap without a draft pick in 2007, not even a 2nd.

VI#21
06-04-2007, 12:39 PM
Who's act is more tiresome than Verajo's? The Spurs will not make a clear path to the basket for King James. They will step in, take charges, or force him around several defenders. Mr. James will get his, and we will shut everyone else down. And, "Mr.CavsSuperFan" the Cavs have won the only championship they'll win this year. The Eastern Conference. Hope yall enjoyed that celebration the other night...And speakin of matchups, You guys bring in the big haired Brazilian to stop Duncan, and then the flopping is going to get out of control. This guy is as bad or worse than Manu.

SpursFanFirst
06-04-2007, 12:41 PM
Since the Spurs can’t match up with LeBron, the flopping is going to get out of control...Lets hope that the referees don’t buy into Manus, Parker's and Duncan’s very tiresome act.... :dramaquee

Also since the Cav’s have already beaten the better teams...I am a bit worried that they feel like they have already won the title....I just hope they realize they have unfinished business..... :toast

I'm sorry...are you actually calling out "flopping" teams when you have Verrajo (yes, I know...spelling. I don't care.) on yours??? Interesting. :rolleyes

ShoogarBear
06-04-2007, 12:42 PM
I just hope nothing else embarrassing happens to Cleveland, like Boobie catching on fire during his pregame warmups or something.

Oh, Gee!!
06-04-2007, 12:50 PM
Lebron has his team believing, it's not automatic for the Spurs

GSH
06-04-2007, 12:50 PM
The Cavs have been chanting championship to try and help the Cleveland sports writers, who didn't even know how to spell it. Next, LeBron will get his teammates to use it in a sentence.

Oh, Gee!!
06-04-2007, 12:53 PM
The Cavs have been chanting championship to try and help the Cleveland sports writers, who didn't even know how to spell it. Next, LeBron will get his teammates to use it in a sentence.

yeah, it couldn't be because Lebron actually believes they are contenders, which they are btw.

CavsSuperFan
06-04-2007, 12:54 PM
Also I think it is great for the networks that they will Finally have something basket-ball related to talk about...I mean other than Robert Horry knocking little people into the stands, Popavich running all over the court throwing childish tantrums, Utah Fans throwing batteries at players & Phoenix fans making bomb threats.... :smokin

Mr. Body
06-04-2007, 01:02 PM
I've never seen Popovich throw a tantrum.

hater
06-04-2007, 01:03 PM
wonder what will cavfans throw at our players

MaNuMaNiAc
06-04-2007, 01:08 PM
Also I think it is great for the networks that they will Finally have something basket-ball related to talk about...I mean other than Robert Horry knocking little people into the stands, Popavich running all over the court throwing childish tantrums, Utah Fans throwing batteries at players & Phoenix fans making bomb threats.... :smokinvBookie on how long 'till this bitch starts crying murder after we pummel his sorry ass team back into mediocracy. My money is on .5 seconds. Anyone?

CavsSuperFan
06-04-2007, 01:08 PM
wonder what will cavfans throw...

Basketball knowledge to the men...And my irresistible sex apeal to the ladies of San Antonio... :smokin

Trainwreck2100
06-04-2007, 01:10 PM
When has Pop been throwing tantrums? please elborate?

Mike Brown has more PO T's as well.

CubanMustGo
06-04-2007, 01:41 PM

Just to amplify what others have said, Sideshow Bob has more flops (as measured by offensive foul calls) than the top three spurs combined. That would be Bowen, Oberto, and yes Ginobili. Parker and Duncan aren't even on the radar.

Sideshow Bob is three times the flopper Ginobili is - the stats prove it!

mbass
06-04-2007, 01:47 PM
San Antonio will win at least one in Cleveland.

Prediction - Spurs will win the first 2 in SA and then take the middle game (#4) in Cleveland. Then win in 6 or 7 at home. :clap :clap :drunk :drunk :elephant :elephant

Budkin
06-04-2007, 01:51 PM
I'm glad tons of people will finally tune in to see how good we are.

whottt
06-04-2007, 02:00 PM
The day LeBron James entered the NBA he already knew what it took Jordan about 6 years to figure out...what Magic knew. Seriously...he's a lot more like Magic than he is like Jordan, and I mean that as a compliment.

Avitus1
06-04-2007, 02:07 PM
You can chant anything you want it doesn't mean its going to happen. For the past 3 years LA has chanted MVP every time Kobe does something great, how many of the past 3 years has he been MVP? And now he doesn't even really want to be there.