PDA

View Full Version : OSU ends arKy's season... again.

MajorMike
06-04-2007, 10:59 AM
http://www.nmnathletics.com.edgesuite.net/pics6/400/TE/TEJGKQFNAFLZOIC.20070604033428.jpg
Ty Wright's three-run homer in the fifth helped OSU advance to Super Regional play with a win over Arkansas.

Cowboys Top Arkansas To Advance To Super Regional
Courtesy: okstate.com
Release: 06/03/2007
FAYETTEVILLE, Ark. – For the 2nd time in as many years, Arkansas has had their season ended on their own field by Oklahoma State. The Cowboys defeated the top-seeded Razorbacks, 7-6, Sunday night in the NCAA Fayetteville Regional at Baum Stadium to advance to the second Super Regional in school history. OSU has never lost to Arkansas in the post-season.

The Cowboys, the Fayetteville Regional’s third seed, completed a three-game sweep through the regional to advance to their first-ever Super Regional under fourth-year head coach Frank Anderson. OSU defeated Arkansas, the No. 7 national seed, twice on their home field to continue its postseason run.

OSU, which also advanced to a Super Regional in 1999, improved to 41-19 on the season and will play the winner of the Columbia Regional later this week. The winner of that regional will be determined Monday when Missouri and Louisville square off in Columbia, Mo.

“It’s very exciting,” said OSU senior left fielder Ty Wright. “I know the people around Stillwater have been waiting for this.

“This program since I’ve been here has been building up for this ... This year we put things together and knew we had a shot if we went out and played well.”

The Cowboys powered their way through the regional in Arkansas, and Sunday night was no different as a pair of three-run home runs propelled them to the win. OSU also got a strong effort in relief on the mound as Josh Fritsche worked 3.2 scoreless innings to earn the win.

Arkansas (43-21) got on the scoreboard in its opening at bat in the bottom of the first inning with a pair of runs off OSU starter Jeff Breedlove. The Razorbacks collected three hits in the inning, with Jeff Nutt’s two-RBI single giving them a 2-0 lead.

OSU would answer in the third. Jordy Mercer doubled to lead off the frame, and a two-out walk to Keanon Simon put a pair of Cowboys on the bases for Corey Brown.

And Brown delivered, blasting a towering three-run home run over the 39-foot scoreboard in right-center field. The homer was Brown’s team-leading 21st of the season.

“I was waiting on a pitch to drive, and I kept taking pitches on the inner half,” Brown said. “I finally got a pitch I liked and put a good swing on it. I knew the wind was blowing out so after I hit it I knew it was gone.”

The Razorbacks regained the lead in the fourth, however. Tim Smalling’s RBI single tied the score, and Hamblin scored the go-ahead run on an error to make the score 4-3.

Arkansas’ lead did not last long. And again, it was another clutch two-out homer that foiled the Razorbacks.

In the top of the fifth, Steve Ptak started a rally with a single, and Simon walked. After Brown fouled out for the second out of the inning, Wright stepped up and drilled a shot over the left-field wall off UA reliever Stephen Richards for a 6-4 Cowboy lead. The blast was Wright’s sixth round tripper of the season.

OSU tacked on another run in the sixth on a sacrifice fly by Mercer to give the Cowboys’ a three-run lead.

The Cowboys would need those runs as Arkansas scored a pair of unearned runs off Mercer in the eighth to make the score 7-6.

Arkansas put the tying run on base with two outs in the bottom of the ninth, but Mercer struck out Nutt to end the game and extend the Cowboys’ season. The win also gave Mercer his third save of the season.

Fritsche allowed just one hit and struck out five as the senior southpaw improved to 2-0 on the season.

Six Cowboys earned all-tournament honors at the Fayetteville Regional, and Rebel Ridling was named the tourney’s Most Outstanding Player. OSU’s all-tournament selections were Oliver Odle (pitcher), Rebel Ridling (first base), Tyler Mach (second base) and outfielders Ty Wright, Corey Brown and Keanon Simon.

Brutalis
06-04-2007, 11:07 AM
Pigs flew.

RonMexico
06-04-2007, 02:16 PM
Oklahoma State had an assistant coach ejected and several bats
confiscated, in the games this past weekend against Arkansas, because
the bats they were using were too flat. Bunch of cheaters. BTW they
scored pretty much all their runs with home runs.

johngateswhiteley
06-08-2007, 03:41 PM
damn louisville is just beating that ass, 9-0 bottom of the ninth. LMAO...

MajorMike
06-09-2007, 05:11 PM
Wow, took you a whole week to come up with a comeback?

Nice implosion last night, by the way.

We made it to Sunday... will you?

MajorMike
06-09-2007, 08:57 PM
Wow, took you a whole week to come up with a comeback?

Nice implosion last night, by the way.

We made it to Sunday... will you?

Well, that would be a no.

Geez, jgw, isn't that about the 3rd time in the past month you have tried to poke fun at OSU and it blew up in your face? I bet that stings, huh?

Well, OSU may not make the CWS, but at least they can say they were the last B12 team standing, and the only one that came within a game of the CWS.