PDA

View Full Version : From the Cavs Perspective

CavsDak
06-04-2007, 01:43 PM
I'd just like to give you guys some perspective from the Cleveland side. First of all, I would like to appologize for the unintelligent and biased predictions by some of our Cavs fans. We are very excited to be in the finals and sometimes we get a little carried away. It's not out of disrespect but out of passion for our team. I am from Cleveland and have been a Cavs fan since I was a little kid even when we seemed to always come up short against MJ and the Bulls. Its great to be in the finals and I think we are going to make the most of this opportunity.

I am student at OSU and I can personally vouch that sometimes Ohio sports fans can get very nasty. The fact of the matter is, its been a great year in sports for us here: Buckeyes make it to the national championship in both football and basketball, the Indians are in first place, and the Browns are up and coming with our recent success in the draft and the departure of Bill Cowher. I definitely have a great amount of respect for Texas sports teams. I was fortunate to be at the OSU-Texas game 2 years ago and although we lost it was by far one of the greatest games I've seen in any sport. I hope that our series can be just as good.

I think that a lot has been made about the Lebron-MJ comparison and I think some people tend to take it the wrong way. Lebron is not Michael Jordan because he's not a score first kind of player. Nobody is but Kobe might be. Too be honest with you, Lebron is more like Magic.. He is a big, athletic and versatile player who is not purely a scorer. The diversity of skills that he brings to the table is unparalleled. What people don't understand is that Lebron does not neccessarily win games by scoring ( game 5 being the exception) rather he hurts teams most of all by his passing and his ability to involve his teammates and make everyone better.

I think Bowen is a great defender but I think he is going to have a very difficult time slowing down Lebron. Lebron is a pure athletic specimen at 6'8'', 240 and a former All-State football player in high school that assuredly would have played major college/pro football if he had chosen to go in that direction. Sometimes people fail to notice Lebrons physicallity due to his great agility and speed. I think that if Bowen or Horry or any defender for that matter tries some of the stuff that was pulled in the Suns series that those players will not get away with it. The Suns do not have any enforcer type players and are more of a finesse type team. The cavs play very physical ball and with guys like Pollard, Varejao, and even sasha, there could be a few fights in the series if the Spurs do play dirty.

I'm worried about Tony Parker. I watched some of your suns series and was very impressed with his shooting ability and dribble penetration. Duncan is a top 3 NBA player and one of the best and most consistent big men ever. These 2 will get their points, it's going to be about containing them and frustrating them. Foul trouble will definitely be an issue for both teams. Z can knock down shots and Gibson could be a difference maker off the bench. Hughes needs to play at least half as good as what we expect of him. I think sasha and gooden need to play as well as they were towards the end of the regular season.

I find it very hard to make a prediction in this series. We know what the Spurs are going to bring but the Cavs we're not so sure. From our perspective, our regular season was an underachieving time of ups and downs. We did not play defense at all and our offense was very sporadic. It seems that our guys have finally bought into Mike Browns philosophy. I think the Spurs are in the same boat though. Both of our teams had tremendous potential and fortunatly both seem to be peaking at the right time. I hope this makes for a close and exciting series.

I agree that the cavs 2 wins during the regular season does not mean that we will win the series. As I said before, both are different teams now than they were before. I do however think that the difference between the Cavs then to now is much greater than it is for the Spurs and I would not call these wins flukes either. The Cavs do have a height/size advantage with our starters which immediately presents you guys with rebound problems. Also, I think it is worth it to mention that our 2 top basketball minds (Coach-Mike Brown and GM- Ferry) are both Spurs guys. Now I don't think this presents a problem to the extent of Don Nelson and Dallas but this could pose a interesting situation. Maybe some inside info on tendencies/ schemes?

I hope that this series goes 7 games. I hope that each game is close. I hope we see both teams at each others throats. I hope that each game is decided by last second shots. This is the fun of watching competitive basketball. I think that you are going to find that the Cavs are a pretty exciting team to watch and hope that you value the talent of a kid who basically just turned 22 years old.

Most fail to realize that before our playoff series with the Pistons last season, they were far and away the favorites to win the championship. The Cavs were blown out in the first 2 games, the games weren't even close. Something clicked however and we pushed them to 7 games and eventually beat them this year. The Cavs mentally broke the Pistons, a team whose team makeup/ style of play eerily resembles your own. Now I do not mean to say that the Spurs will overlook the Cavs because I do not think that they are unreasonably arrogant like the Pistons. I do however think some things that the Cavs will present might be suprising to you. Its an accomplished, established veteran's vs unproven, hungry youth.

As you know, the Spurs will be heavily, I mean heavily favored to win this series and win quickly. Every expert that I have seen has picked the Spurs to win. You guys should have these expectations because you have 3 rings and we have 0. The truth is though, what is supposed to happen doesn't always come true. I can't help but notice how much fun our guys seem to be having during this years playoffs. I think that's our youth showing through. Maybe we're not the most businesslike team but we sure know how to have fun which could be a good thing.

The Cavs have absolutely nothing to lose in this series, we've already far exceeded our expectations. By no means do I think we are satisfied though and the amount of exposure we are getting right now is not about us beating the Spurs, it is merely about how we handled the Pistons. Anything short of a championship for the Spurs would be an unsuccessful season.

My Prediction: Cavs split first 2, take 2 of 3 in Cleveland, then win game 7 at San Antonio. Cavs in 7. Let's enjoy the tremendous display of basketball talent by both teams. Win or lose, i hope its a great series.

FromWayDowntown
06-04-2007, 01:45 PM
All of that and no mention of any concern about Ginobili?

ClingingMars
06-04-2007, 01:50 PM
Very nice post, rep+ for a Cavs fan, you're the best poster we've seen so far. But as FWD said, what about Manu?

-Mars

makedamnsure
06-04-2007, 01:56 PM
You're the best Cavs fan I've seen yet.

J.T.
06-04-2007, 01:57 PM
This series is tailor made for Ginobili to own.

freedom&justice
06-04-2007, 01:58 PM
Good post. You're a rare breed of Cavs fan, that's for sure; there should be more like you.

Mr. Body
06-04-2007, 01:58 PM
Bravo, intelligent, bespoke Cavs fan.

FromWayDowntown
06-04-2007, 02:00 PM
I also think that the implication that the Spurs might not be prepared for physical play from Cleveland's bigs is pretty misguided. The Spurs played an extremely physical series with Denver, dealt with a bit more finesse against Phoenix but still got involved in some physical play, and dispatched a fairly physical Utah team. If the Cavs decide to mix it up, I don't think Cavs' fans should just expect the Spurs to back down or roll over.

And I wouldn't expect that any team would be able to easily break the Spurs mentally. THis bunch has experienced everything there is to experience in playoff basketball. They've overcome significant adversity; they've suffered flagrant fouls (and delivered some too); they've won and they've lost. But at no point in the last 5 years or so has any team truly been able to mentally break the Spurs.

Finally, I'm not sure that this group of Spurs is built eerily similar to the Detroit Pistons of the last couple of seasons. This group of Spurs has a definite alpha dog, it has two outstanding sidekicks who know precisely what they are to do, and, more than anything else, it has tremendous leadership from the head coach who won't stand for anything but the best effort his team can give. There are finer distinctions to make, but those three immediately make be believe that a comparison to the Pistons is inapt.

virginislandCAVS
06-04-2007, 02:04 PM
I think...I hope...I think. Long enough? WE really didn't need a peacemaker, the spurs fans have been getting the nastiest anyways. Maybe you should have went to Ohio University, CavsDak. Anyways, I agree, go cavs, hard fought series. cavs in 7. Hughes, Snow, Gibson, Pavs, and James are going to bring all the defense at the wings we need. Don't be surprised when Lebron is guarding Parker and shutting off the lane completely.

ChumpDumper
06-04-2007, 02:05 PM
Maybe you should have went to Ohio UniversityPriceless.

itzsoweezee
06-04-2007, 02:10 PM
the spurs are willing to guard lebron straight up. the cavs don't have the luxury with regard to duncan. that's why the cavs have no shot at winning this series.

BlackFlagg
06-04-2007, 02:12 PM
Great post. You make some intelligent, well thought-out points.

That said, I found no mention of Ginibili a bit odd, and your assertion that the Cavs have nothing to lose struck me as strange, as well, because this is the Finals -- neither team has anything to lose at this point. One more item: the Spurs can not only handle a "physical team," they can be a physical team.

This is going to be a fun series, regardless of the outcome. Of course, I hope the Spurs take it all, and I think they will.

Good post.

virginislandCAVS
06-04-2007, 02:16 PM
Hughes/Pavs/Lebron will all take turns guarding Ginobli. They've all been playing great D., hopefully Hughes foot can get some rest though. He's ok for a few minutes, then it bothers him.

CosmicCowboy
06-04-2007, 02:19 PM
Nice post.

The Cavs day is coming assuming James stays there and they will win at least one finals.

It just won't be this year.

CosmicCowboy
06-04-2007, 02:21 PM
Hughes/Pavs/Lebron will all take turns guarding Ginobli. They've all been playing great D., hopefully Hughes foot can get some rest though. He's ok for a few minutes, then it bothers him.

Spurs fans know all about plantar fascia injuries.

BWJACKETS
06-04-2007, 02:24 PM
Cleveland will be just fine in this series. All this talk about SA being just fine playing Lebron man to man is just window dressing, when it comes time to play the game they have two options- 1)Give Lebron double and triple-teams, or 2)Get smoked. Seems like an easy choice to me. Mr. James is more focused right now than he ever has been in his entire life, give him single-coverage and the Cavs might score on every trip down the court.

Duncan doesn't scare me in this matchup because Cleveland has size and depth to combat him with, as far as matchups go I think this series is tailor-made for the Cavs because of their ability to play physical and play relentless, hounding defense. The only thing that worries me is that Ginobli and Parker will get their usual bad call fouls, I'm not even worried about them making their shots so much as these guys going to the line every trip down the floor, take away even some of those and both of these guys aren't that great. Obviously, there are going to be alot of people who think I am crazy, however I am not going to be one of those jerks who say "CLEVELAND IN 4, CLEVELAND in 5, CLEVELAND IN 6, etc etc." What I am going to say is that Cleveland plays great defense and they have the best player in the NBA, so you absolutely cannot count them out of this one.

Mr. Body
06-04-2007, 02:25 PM
I like that, after a single impressive game, LeBron is suddenly a great scorer on par with prime Jordan. He's not even on Kobe or AI's level yet, and the Spurs have managed those guys.

itzsoweezee
06-04-2007, 02:25 PM
and they have the best player in the NBA

one game doesn't make him the best player in the nba. sorry to break it to you.

mardigan
06-04-2007, 02:27 PM
I like that, after a single impressive game, LeBron is suddenly a great scorer on par with prime Jordan. He's not even on Kobe or AI's level yet, and the Spurs have managed those guys.
:lol no shit. People seem to forget that the SPurs have already handled the 2nd leading scorer, leading assist, defensive player of the year, Amare, A.I., Boozer and Williams. All of those guys had much better teams than the Cavs, yet LeBron will beat the Spurs by himself, right

FromWayDowntown
The only thing that worries me is that Ginobli and Parker will get their usual bad call fouls, take those away and both of these guys aren't that great.

Aside from unrealistically dissing two guys who have legitimately made all-star teams (and one who has won championships at every level on which he's ever played), the thing that strikes me as most bizarre about this comment is the notion that Parker usually gets bad foul calls.

I can't think of a player who spends as much time in the paint as Parker while getting to the line as infrequently as Parker does. That guy gets put on his ass repeatedly without getting to the line -- and he keeps coming back for more and more. He may occasionally get a bad call in his favor, but most nights, Parker spends way more time getting off the floor on drives than he does at the line. At least he's fearless.

ChumpDumper
1)Give Lebron double and triple-teams, or 2)Get smoked. Seems like an easy choice to me. Mr. James is more focused right now than he ever has been in his entire life, give him single-coverage and the Cavs might score on every trip down the court.
Replace the word "Lebron" with "Amare" and "Cavs" with "Suns."

Duncan doesn't scare me in this matchup because Cleveland has size and depth to combat him with, as far as matchups go I think this series is tailor-made for the Cavs.Replace the word "Cleveland" with "Denver" and "Cavs" with "Nuggets."

What I am going to say is that Cleveland plays great defense and they have the best player in the NBA, so you absolutely cannot count them out of this one.Replace the word "Cleveland" with "San Antonio."

BlackFlagg
06-04-2007, 02:29 PM

Replace the word "Cleveland" with "Denver" and "Cavs" with "Nuggets."

Replace the word "Cleveland" with "San Antonio."

:lol :lol :lol :clap :clap :clap

mardigan
06-04-2007, 02:34 PM

BWJ just got destroyed

BWJACKETS
06-04-2007, 02:38 PM

You are right, he is way above AI's level. AI isn't even an elite player any longer in my book, he is a selfish player who doesn't think pass-first and his body has shown signs of wear and tear for awhile now. He is above Kobe's level - when did Kobe ever set his teammates up for the winning basket, tell me that? When did Kobe ever carry his team deep into the playoffs?

Once again, you want to throw out all these dumb comparisons of Lebron to Michael, but that is all you. However, to say that after one game he is garnering these comparisons is crazy, Lebron has been in the league for four years now and he has been an MVP-type player for two of those seasons. However, Steve Nash and Dirk Nowitzki, the last two MVP's this league has had could only dream of carrying their team the way that Lebron does on an everyday basis.

PM5K
06-04-2007, 02:39 PM
My Prediction: Cavs split first 2, take 2 of 3 in Cleveland, then win game 7 at San Antonio. Cavs in 7. Let's enjoy the tremendous display of basketball talent by both teams. Win or lose, i hope its a great series.

So you think a team that went 20-21 on the road is going to beat the team with the third best home record in the league, twice?

Hmmm...

BigBeezie
06-04-2007, 02:40 PM
This will be a great series...period.

ChumpDumper
However, Steve Nash and Dirk Nowitzki, the last two MVP's this league has had could only dream of carrying their team the way that Lebron does on an everyday basis.Replace the phrase "carrying their team" [sic] with "playing in the Eastern Conference."

BWJACKETS

Blah blah blah, you know very well that Lebron is a much better player than Amare, the Cavs are much better than the Nuggets, and...well the Cavs are 2-0 against the Spurs this season.

mardigan
06-04-2007, 02:43 PM
Blah blah blah, you know very well that Lebron is a much better player than Amare, the Cavs are much better than the Nuggets, and...well the Cavs are 2-0 against the Spurs this season.
The Bucks were 2 and 0 against the SPurs this year as well, doesnt mean shit. The Bulls were 3 and 1 against the Pistons I believe, and that didnt mean shit. The Nuggets are a much, much better team than the Cavs. You really dont watch much basketball do you?

BWJACKETS
06-04-2007, 02:44 PM
The Bucks were 2 and 0 against the SPurs this year as well, doesnt mean shit. The Bulls were 3 and 1 against the Pistons I believe, and that didnt mean shit. The Nuggets are a much, much better team than the Cavs. You really dont watch much basketball do you?

Hey, 2-0 is 2-0. I'll let the facts speak for themselves while you foam at the mouth.

PS - I don't understand you, the Nuggets aren't a good team. How can you say a team that doesn't ever make it past the first round is a good team? Denver and Houston haven't improved in years, these guys would be middle of the road teams in the East the same way they are in the West, not bad but hardly world beaters.

nkdlunch
06-04-2007, 02:45 PM

Lebron is no better than Nash+Amare.

And rest of Suns team >>>>>>>> rest of Cavs

mardigan
06-04-2007, 02:46 PM

Every west team in the playoffs except LA>>>>>>Cavs

Testing
06-04-2007, 02:51 PM
The only thing that worries me is that Ginobli and Parker will get their usual bad call fouls, I'm not even worried about them making their shots so much as these guys going to the line every trip down the floor

Funny coming from a Cavs fan....what do you think happens to Lebron????? aCTUALLY, those two rarely get calls (at least Parker).

Martin R
06-04-2007, 02:51 PM
nice post Cavsdak. Nice to have somebody to exchange opinions.

I think that GINOBILI is going to be THE THREAT for the CAVS in this series.
Lebron is the only one who can slow him down and that will force Lebron to play some D on him, wearing him down.

I think Lebron will eat Bowen alive, forcing the Spurs to put a second man on him, leaving some 3 point shooters open.
If these guys can make the open shots consistently, then we have a series.
Otherwise, this is going to be a very "difficult" series for the Cavs.

M

midgetonadonkey
06-04-2007, 02:52 PM
I miss the Jazz trolls.

BlackFlagg
06-04-2007, 02:53 PM

And? We lost to the Jazz twice, too. Hell, we even lost to Milwaukee! :lol

But this is the playoffs. How do you like us now?? :lol :lol :lol

BWJACKETS
06-04-2007, 02:54 PM
Every west team in the playoffs except LA>>>>>>Cavs

LMFAO...you must be joking. How about CLE>LA, HOU, DEN, GS, UTAH? If you were to say that I would agree. The only three I would say Cleveland doesn't beat hands down are Dallas, SA, and Phoenix...and Dallas was put out by an eight-seed that went 42-40! So much for your theory of Western Conference Dominance...maybe in the ranks of middle of the road teams but not at the top of the conference, in fact I believe Cleveland had a better record against the top teams in the West than anybody!

ChumpDumper
06-04-2007, 02:55 PM
The only thing that worries me is that Ginobli and Parker will get their usual bad call fouls, I'm not even worried about them making their shots so much as these guys going to the line every trip down the floorOpponent fouls per game:

Spurs 21.20

Cavs 22.00

How many of the Cav fouls are "usual bad foul calls"?

BlackFlagg
06-04-2007, 02:56 PM
Hey, 2-0 is 2-0.

You're missing the point, which is 2-0 means shit. I understand you're (rightly) worried, but you can't argue with the facts. Your one guy cannot take down the Spurs. Just ain't gonna happen, sorry.

freedom&justice
06-04-2007, 02:57 PM
For those who still think the Spurs are soft/boring: (I didn't know where else to put it) :hat
---------------------
Oh, no.

One day after the Pistons' season was unceremoniously curtailed by Cleveland, a San Antonio Spur referred to his team as "the bad boys." Ugh.

"We're not vanilla anymore," guard Tony Parker declared. "We're the bad boys, but it's fine. Everybody likes new stuff. So LeBron James, his first Finals, obviously, a lot of people are going to root for him. And that's fine. They still have to try to beat us."

We understand what you're saying, Mr. Longoria, but we object to you using the term. The Spurs aren't even within punching distance of the real Bad Boys.

- Detroit Free Press.

nkdlunch
06-04-2007, 02:58 PM
as opposed to this year's Detroit Drama Queens

mardigan
06-04-2007, 02:58 PM
LMFAO...you must be joking. How about CLE>LA, HOU, DEN, GS, UTAH? If you were to say that I would agree. The only three I would say Cleveland doesn't beat hands down are Dallas, SA, and Phoenix...and Dallas was put out by an eight-seed that went 42-40! So much for your theory of Western Conference Dominance...maybe in the ranks of middle of the road teams but not at the top of the conference, in fact I believe Cleveland had a better record against the top teams in the West than anybody!
But using your regular season argument I could say that the Warriors were 3 and 0 against the Mavs this year, so they should have won right? And since they beat a team that you said was better than your team then GS>>>>Cavs. And Utah, Houston and Denver are all much better than the Cavs. When you only see a team twice in a season there is a chance that they might beat you a couple of times. Regular season records dont mean crap, although in your defense as a Cavs fan you probably havent had much of an argument to defend your team with other than regular season records

BWJACKETS
06-04-2007, 03:00 PM

Hey, how about those for some famous last words. No disrespect to Nash because he is a great player, but if you were to add about eight inches and 75 pounds onto his frame than he would be worth mentioning in the same sentence as Lebron. If you were to take Amare and give him heart, defensive ability, much better speed and ball-handling skills and a jumper, then he would be worth mentioning in the same sentence as Lebron.

Lebron craves so much attention from opposing defenses that it becomes impossible to stop him and not leave somebody open.

ChumpDumper
06-04-2007, 03:02 PM
Really, what do you want from a spurboard?

Unconditional surrender?

A blow job for Lebron?

Your team is good. Congratulations on winning the east.

DDS4
06-04-2007, 03:03 PM
To the other Cavs fans...take notes from Cavsdak.

I don't agree with everything he said, but that's how you make an introduction.

ManuTastic
06-04-2007, 03:03 PM
Maybe you should have went to Ohio University

Priceless.

Yeah, everyone knows it's "should of went," you Ohio dumbass.

ChumpDumper
06-04-2007, 03:04 PM
Should of done gone....

nkdlunch
06-04-2007, 03:06 PM
Hey, how about those for some famous last words. No disrespect to Nash because he is a great player, but if you were to add about eight inches and 75 pounds onto his frame than he would be worth mentioning in the same sentence as Lebron. If you were to take Amare and give him heart, defensive ability, much better speed and ball-handling skills and a jumper, then he would be worth mentioning in the same sentence as Lebron.

Lebron craves so much attention from opposing defenses that it becomes impossible to stop him and not leave somebody open.

are you saying Lebron is better than Nash+Amare combination?? :lmao you're delusional

ClingingMars
06-04-2007, 03:07 PM

pwnt

-Mars

SpursWoman
We understand what you're saying, Mr. Longoria, but we object to you using the term. The Spurs aren't even within punching distance of the real Bad Boys.

- Detroit Free Press.

fa·ce·tious [fuh-see-shuhs] –adjective

1. not meant to be taken seriously or literally: a facetious remark.
2. amusing; humorous.
3. lacking serious intent; concerned with something nonessential, amusing, or frivolous: a facetious person.

BWJACKETS
Really, what do you want from a spurboard?

Unconditional surrender?

A blow job for Lebron?

Your team is good. Congratulations on winning the east.

Hey, thanks. I really didn't care about either, just wanted to see how many of you Spurs fans are in dream land and actually believe that the Rockets, Nuggets or Warriors could win the East over CLE or DET.

BWJACKETS
06-04-2007, 03:09 PM
are you saying Lebron is better than Nash+Amare combination?? :lmao you're delusional

I'll take the best player in the world and dominant team leader over two guys who play excellent offense and offer zero defense any day of the week.

ChumpDumper
06-04-2007, 03:11 PM
Hey, thanks. I really didn't care about either, just wanted to see how many of you Spurs fans are in dream land and actually believe that the Rockets, Nuggets or Warriors could win the East over CLE or DET.
Well, Denver was 2-0 against Cleveland this season, so they are obviously the superior team.

Martin R
06-04-2007, 03:11 PM

GSW > Cleveland

101A
06-04-2007, 03:12 PM

I do; in fact VERY confident the Rockets and Nuggets would.

101A
06-04-2007, 03:12 PM
Well, Denver was 2-0 against Cleveland this season, so they are obviously the superior team.

pwnt X 2

Martin R
06-04-2007, 03:14 PM
seriously, I am more afraid of the Referee than the Cavaliers.

http://www.nba.com/cavaliers/index.html

I'm afraid of the REAL meaning for the word "ALL" in that page.....cofcofsternscofcofbusinesscofcof.

mardigan
06-04-2007, 03:15 PM
Hey, thanks. I really didn't care about either, just wanted to see how many of you Spurs fans are in dream land and actually believe that the Rockets, Nuggets or Warriors could win the East over CLE or DET.Warriors and Denver were hugely affected by trades, and Carmello was out 15 games, those things impacted records, both teams could have won 50 games plus with their rosters the whole year. Houston and Utah both won more games in the West than Clevland did in the East, so yes, Utah and Houston are better than Clevland according to your regular season logic.

nkdlunch
06-04-2007, 03:16 PM
I'll take the best player in the world and dominant team leader over two guys who play excellent offense and offer zero defense any day of the week.

cause Lebron's defense is so great :rolleyes

BeerIsGood!
06-04-2007, 03:21 PM
I like the Cavs fan spirit. They have spunk.

That said, there is absolutely no reasonable reason why the Spurs should need more than 5 games to win. The matchups outside of James favor the Spurs, and there is no way Lebron is going to put up 60 a game at 50% shooting, which is what would be needed for the Cavs to overcome the Spurs. If the Spurs can hold down the 6th man of the year to nothing against a team that is far superior on offense to the Cavs - Boobie's dead in the water. I hope you liked the wide open shots Boobie, because they're gone now. Who else is gonna step up? Hughes on a bad wheel? Big underachieving Z? Gooden? Sideshow Bob?

Bottom line - if the Spurs avoid a letdown and come out to play the way they have all post season, the series is over in no more than 5. It all boils down to what SA does since they hold the matchup advantage and all of the chips but one.

BWJACKETS
06-04-2007, 03:23 PM
I do; in fact VERY confident the Rockets and Nuggets would.

Guess you aren't very smart then, huh?

Houston and Denver are two teams that were made for going out in the first round, every single year. In actuality, Dallas may be the same way, albeit with much more talent.

I am not questioning that there are a number of teams in the West with an equal level of talent to the Cavs or Pistons, just saying that the Cavs have done more with their talent than any of the others in the West save for the Spurs. In the end, it comes down to who plays the best basketball, and there are two teams left and everybody else is watching from at home.

BeerIsGood!
06-04-2007, 03:23 PM
Warriors and Denver were hugely affected by trades, and Carmello was out 15 games, those things impacted records, both teams could have won 50 games plus with their rosters the whole year. Houston and Utah both won more games in the West than Clevland did in the East, so yes, Utah and Houston are better than Clevland according to your regular season logic.

If any one of Denver, Utah, or Phoenix were playing in the Eastern conference we would be playing that team in the Finals right now.

BWJACKETS
06-04-2007, 03:26 PM
Warriors and Denver were hugely affected by trades, and Carmello was out 15 games, those things impacted records, both teams could have won 50 games plus with their rosters the whole year. Houston and Utah both won more games in the West than Clevland did in the East, so yes, Utah and Houston are better than Clevland according to your regular season logic.

I know, I know...I really just threw that one out there to poke fun at Spurs fans and also just for the sake of making the argument. Just a little bit of Devil's Advocate. But, at the same time, I am one who doesn't like to compare common opponents, just compare how teams fair one on one. In this respect, Cleveland has won the last three vs. San Antonio. Does it mean anything? Probably not, however it is worth noting.

mardigan
06-04-2007, 03:27 PM
I know, I know...I really just threw that one out there to poke fun at Spurs fans and also just for the sake of making the argument. Just a little bit of Devil's Advocate. But, at the same time, I am one who doesn't like to compare common opponents, just compare how teams fair one on one. In this respect, Cleveland has won the last three vs. San Antonio. Does it mean anything? Probably not, however it is worth noting.
Its also worth noting that Detroit was 3 and 1 against your team this year, and we see how that turned out

BWJACKETS
06-04-2007, 03:31 PM
If any one of Denver, Utah, or Phoenix were playing in the Eastern conference we would be playing that team in the Finals right now.

You are wrong, but ok I hear you. If Phoenix was in the East, then there is a good chance they would be the ones playing, however you are heaping Denver and Utah in there without much reason. Phoenix would probably make it through, however Denver or Utah? No chance.

But in all seriousness, why does everybody think that a Cavs fan should care at all about some teams from the West that have already been eliminated? Any talk between fans of one of the better teams in the East with a fan of a team from the West breaks down into this stupid discussion about how deep the West is. Based on the NBA draft this season, everybody got a first-hand look at how that was allowed to happen.

Mitch Cumsteen
06-04-2007, 03:31 PM
I am one who doesn't like to compare common opponents, just compare how teams fair one on one. In this respect, Cleveland has won the last three vs. San Antonio. Does it mean anything? Probably not, however it is worth noting.
It is also worth noting that you've one exactly one time in San Antonio since Ronald Reagan was the President.

NoMoneyDown
06-04-2007, 03:32 PM
just compare how teams fair one on one. In this respect, Cleveland has won the last three vs. San Antonio. Does it mean anything? Probably not, however it is worth noting.

I don't think that's even a legitimate comparison as the two RS this year were way before the all-star break when SA was playing medicore BB.

ChumpDumper
06-04-2007, 03:36 PM
however you are heaping Denver and Utah in there without much reason.Denver: 2-0 baby!

BeerIsGood!
06-04-2007, 03:40 PM
You are wrong, but ok I hear you. If Phoenix was in the East, then there is a good chance they would be the ones playing, however you are heaping Denver and Utah in there without much reason. Phoenix would probably make it through, however Denver or Utah? No chance.

But in all seriousness, why does everybody think that a Cavs fan should care at all about some teams from the West that have already been eliminated? Any talk between fans of one of the better teams in the East with a fan of a team from the West breaks down into this stupid discussion about how deep the West is. Based on the NBA draft this season, everybody got a first-hand look at how that was allowed to happen.

This is why you should care...

The Spurs have dispatched with predjudice 3 teams that are better teams than the Cavs. Not saying that the Cavs have zero chance, but that it would take both the best performance in a playoff series of all time by Lebron and a complete letdown by the Spurs for the Cavs to have a chance. None of the western conference teams had the luxury of dispatching the Celtics, Knicks, Hawks, Magic, etc. for most of the year. Also, most of the western conference teams did not get the luxury of playing the Spurs only twice before March when the Spurs are coasting and getting the lineups minutes for a playoff push. It's not a lock, because there is no such thing as a lock, but it would take the "perfect storm" of both luck and skill for a team the caliber of the Cavs to beat a team the caliber of the Spurs.

BWJACKETS
06-04-2007, 03:41 PM
Its also worth noting that Detroit was 3 and 1 against your team this year, and we see how that turned out

Exactly my point. We will see what happens on thursday. However, for those of you who think SA will win via blowout, you may as well not watch because you inevitably will go crazy just like the Pistons fans, frustrated and saying "Why is our team playing so horrible?" That is a little something I like to call championship defense. Cavs don't give up easy baskets. Continuing their success scoring points will be key, I expect most games in this series to be mid-80's or so, defense controlling the pace for both teams, and whichever star (Duncan or Lebron) has the bigger series will propel his team to victory. Duncan has a better supporting cast but Lebron has a greater ability to take over ballgames. On paper, edge to SA, however I want to see if the Spurs can match the intensity of the Cavs because after going down 2-0 and winning the next four in a row, it is pretty clear that the Cavs do not quit and they are a young, hungry team. Anybody who has been in organized sports knows that intensity can sometimes make up for quite a bit in the way of talent differential.

Man In Black
06-04-2007, 03:43 PM

You keep lying to yourself and to the people on this board when you phrase that LeBron James is the best player in the world.
Stealing this quote from an earlier post:

Once again, you want to throw out all these dumb comparisons of Lebron to Michael, but that is all you. However, to say that after one game he is garnering these comparisons is crazy, Lebron has been in the league for four years now and he has been an MVP-type player for two of those seasons. However, Steve Nash and Dirk Nowitzki, the last two MVP's this league has had could only dream of carrying their team the way that Lebron does on an everyday basis.

You want carry a team?
Let me break this to you in SIMPLE TERMS.
http://www.nba.com/history/awards_allnba.html
LeBron James
All-NBA Team
05-06 1st team
06-07 2nd, 04-05 2nd
Rookie Year 03-04 Not a sniff.

All-NBA D Team
ZERO

Tim Duncan
All-NBA 1st team EVERY YEAR EXCEPT FOR 05-06 Due to plantar fascitis but he did get 2nd team ALL-NBA

http://www.nba.com/history/awards_defensiveteams.html
ALL-NBA D Team All 10 years 8 of those times 1st team including current season.

SO AGAIN...2 sides of the court. Tim Duncan has been simply dominating and the best player in basketball. Not consistently spectacular but spectactularly consistent. The numbers and the results do not lie. Don't believe me?
Then what about LeBron?

``If they don't know what Tim Duncan is about, they cannot be true fans, they are fantasy fans. I can dunk, but I ain't no Tim Duncan. I wish I was.'' Lebron James :fro

bigfish22
I've been watching LeBron's defense almost as much as his offense since he came into the L and I think its a bit suspect. Especially his off ball defense. He has the tendency to follow the ball and not his man, and often gets lost in the movements. Other than the fact that he has tremendous strength and great size/reach his defense is quite lacking.

BWJACKETS
It is also worth noting that you've one exactly one time in San Antonio since Ronald Reagan was the President.

That one time happened this season too. So, you may as well have said they've won in SA once this year in one game in SA this year. But hey, however you want to look at it.

BWJACKETS
06-04-2007, 03:52 PM
This is why you should care...

The Spurs have dispatched with predjudice 3 teams that are better teams than the Cavs. Not saying that the Cavs have zero chance, but that it would take both the best performance in a playoff series of all time by Lebron and a complete letdown by the Spurs for the Cavs to have a chance. None of the western conference teams had the luxury of dispatching the Celtics, Knicks, Hawks, Magic, etc. for most of the year. Also, most of the western conference teams did not get the luxury of playing the Spurs only twice before March when the Spurs are coasting and getting the lineups minutes for a playoff push. It's not a lock, because there is no such thing as a lock, but it would take the "perfect storm" of both luck and skill for a team the caliber of the Cavs to beat a team the caliber of the Spurs.

However, do you not see in your own words that you are setting yourself up for a huge letdown? Two of the last three years the finals have been all about this exact same story. 2004 Pistons beat the superior Lakers. 2006 Heat beat the superior Mavs. In 2005 the Spurs beat the Pistons, however even in that series it went seven games and nobody can ever deny that it simply came down to which team got the lucky bounce down the stretch.

I agree that the Spurs should win. However, should is much different from will. Nobody is giving the Cavs a chance, and that's exactly why they will exceed all expectations and put a hurt on the Spurs. Whatever that means, maybe they'll win, maybe they won't. I think you would have to be crazy at this point to say that with all the momentum Cleveland has coming in that SA will be able to stop them dead in their tracks and win it in four- I see this series going six or seven games pretty much any way you break it down. Now, I'm sure SA will say all the right things about respecting the Cavs in their press conference later on this week, however in the end it comes down to what happens on the court and if SA brings their best stuff, and that is something that not even the most educated fan can predict. I like the Cavs because Lebron has the ability to dominate games to a greater degree than any other player in the league, and they have the big men and defensive players across the board to smother the Spurs and make them do things that they don't want to do when they have the basketball offensively.

BeerIsGood!
06-04-2007, 04:00 PM
However, do you not see in your own words that you are setting yourself up for a huge letdown? Two of the last three years the finals have been all about this exact same story. 2004 Pistons beat the superior Lakers. 2006 Heat beat the superior Mavs. In 2005 the Spurs beat the Pistons, however even in that series it went seven games and nobody can ever deny that it simply came down to which team got the lucky bounce down the stretch.

I agree that the Spurs should win. However, should is much different from will. Nobody is giving the Cavs a chance, and that's exactly why they will exceed all expectations and put a hurt on the Spurs. Whatever that means, maybe they'll win, maybe they won't. I think you would have to be crazy at this point to say that with all the momentum Cleveland has coming in that SA will be able to stop them dead in their tracks and win it in four- I see this series going six or seven games pretty much any way you break it down. Now, I'm sure SA will say all the right things about respecting the Cavs in their press conference later on this week, however in the end it comes down to what happens on the court and if SA brings their best stuff, and that is something that not even the most educated fan can predict. I like the Cavs because Lebron has the ability to dominate games to a greater degree than any other player in the league, and they have the big men and defensive players across the board to smother the Spurs and make them do things that they don't want to do when they have the basketball offensively.

I know you like your underdog story, but the truth of the matter is that upsets of this magnitude don't happen all that often. That's why I said there is a chance, and that chance is the Spurs having a letdown and Lebron getting help from Jesus. He's never faced a Spurs playoff defense, especially a Spurs playoff defense in the finals. I can say whatever I want since I have no responsiblity to get the team ready to play, and I say that the Spurs definitely respect the Cavs and know that they have to play their usual great Spurs ball to take this series.

coopdogg3
06-04-2007, 04:02 PM
Well I'm glad the Cavalier fans will get a first-hand look at how much better Duncan is over Lebron. Lebron is a phenomenal talent - no question. But at this point he's maybe 75% of the player that Duncan is. You'll see this up-close and personal. Enjoy the clinic.

ChumpDumper
06-04-2007, 04:04 PM
in the end it comes down to what happens on the court and if SA brings their best stuff, and that is something that not even the most educated fan can predict. I like the Cavs because Lebron has the ability to dominate games to a greater degree than any other player in the league, and they have the big men and defensive players across the board to smother the Spurs and make them do things that they don't want to do when they have the basketball offensively.So, you are predicting the Cavs will bring their best stuff. I suppose a fan doesn't have to be educated to do that.

BWJACKETS
06-04-2007, 04:21 PM
Well I'm glad the Cavalier fans will get a first-hand look at how much better Duncan is over Lebron. Lebron is a phenomenal talent - no question. But at this point he's maybe 75% of the player that Duncan is. You'll see this up-close and personal. Enjoy the clinic.

You must have forgotten the last time Cleveland came to SA. I'll refresh your memory: Lebron Dunks Over Tim Duncan (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CWvzrbpcHfE) . Ouch! Sorry to spoil your guy's season opener like that LOL. Duncan is very good but I would much rather have Lebron to build my team around any day, and according to ESPN most people agree with me.

Just read this earlier today, take a look: Jordan praises James ahead of NBA Finals (http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news;_ylt=Ajp_ifb8yx04Dkuw_LGe9xG8vLYF?slug=ap-michaeljordan-james&prov=ap&type=lgns) . This pretty much sums it up. I've never been one to compare Lebron to Michael, all of Lebron's critics have already done that for me. However, although I'm not going to make any comparisons, I will say that it seems pretty clear who MJ is rooting for in this one.

ChumpDumper
06-04-2007, 04:22 PM
according to ESPN:lmao :lmao :lmao :lmao

DDS4
06-04-2007, 04:26 PM
I don't think this series is going to be a cakewalk by any means like some Spur fans make it out to be.

However, the Spurs do everything slightly better (offense, defense, bench, coaching) than the Cavs, plus they have the experience and championship pedigree on top of that. You can see why there's optimism on the Spurs side.

Another big question: How are the Cavs gonna play in their FIRST NBA finals?

Now if LBJ wills his team to 4 victories out of 7, big props all around.

coopdogg3
06-04-2007, 04:26 PM
You must have forgotten the last time Cleveland came to SA. I'll refresh your memory: Lebron Dunks Over Tim Duncan (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CWvzrbpcHfE) . Duncan is very good but I would much rather have Lebron to build my team around any day, and according to ESPN most people agree with me. Especially for the Cavs, who already have Z and Varajao.

However, when you have the choice between Duncan and James, it is like choosing between the Ferrari and the Lambo, either one you pick is just going to dominate all others.

You're a bigger fool than I thought. Go watch Carlos Boozer block Duncan and then tell me that Boozer is better defensively than Duncan - because of one play. When LBJ gets 4 rings to match Duncan, than you might have an argument about who you would rather build a team around.

Like I said, enjoy the clinic.

mardigan
06-04-2007, 04:27 PM
Duncan is very good but I would much rather have Lebron to build my team around any day, and according to ESPN most people agree with me.
I think most GMs and coaches would disagree with you and ESPN. Duncan is one of the best players to ever step on to the court, your constant disrespect and ignorance of his greatness is really annoying and makes you look like a total jackass.

easjer
06-04-2007, 04:32 PM
Exactly my point. We will see what happens on thursday. However, for those of you who think SA will win via blowout, you may as well not watch because you inevitably will go crazy just like the Pistons fans, frustrated and saying "Why is our team playing so horrible?" That is a little something I like to call championship defense. Cavs don't give up easy baskets. Continuing their success scoring points will be key, I expect most games in this series to be mid-80's or so, defense controlling the pace for both teams, and whichever star (Duncan or Lebron) has the bigger series will propel his team to victory. Duncan has a better supporting cast but Lebron has a greater ability to take over ballgames. On paper, edge to SA, however I want to see if the Spurs can match the intensity of the Cavs because after going down 2-0 and winning the next four in a row, it is pretty clear that the Cavs do not quit and they are a young, hungry team. Anybody who has been in organized sports knows that intensity can sometimes make up for quite a bit in the way of talent differential.

See, this is what shows me that you are a homer who doesn't watch much basketball outside of their home team. Which is completely fine, but not of much use in arguing about basketball. You support a decent team who has done a really great and exciting feat. Well done. Enjoy it. I understand why you are getting worked up, since I'd be pretty pissed off if I saw this stuff written about the Spurs.

However, you are just plain wrong here. It's something you'd note if you watched basketball more or watched the Spurs. Your team plays defense a lot better than most teams. But if you want to see championship defense, watch the Spurs. We've been playing it for 9 years, three of which are undisputedly evidence of championship defense. I've watched the Cavs all playoffs and their defense is not in the same calibur of the Spurs.

If you watched more Spurs BB, then you'd see that Duncan certainly has the ability to take over and influence games - all superstars do, and Duncan's been capable of doing that longer than LeBron. Duncan simply doesn't have to do it, becuase his supporting cast is better. And speaking as someone who watched a team with a good player and a cast of struggling streaky players take them to the edge time and again - it can't be done with 1 person. You've got to have more than what the Cavs have. Our 'supporting cast' is more than a supporting cast. They are solid, reliable players who frequently play at an all-star level. That should worry you to no end.

Yes LeBron is a talented player, who is made better by his team-first attitude. I have a lot of admiration for the kid. But am I worried about doubling and leaving someone else open? Hell fucking no. Odds are that whoever is left open can't beat us and won't make enough of their shots to matter. If they suddenly should (and hey, it can happen), I have faith in the Spurs defense and ability to adjust quickly and accordingly.

Again, not being a Spurs fan or in the Western conference, I would expect that you haven't gotten to see many Spurs games. This team is mostly about intensity, and while there are occassional lapses (which I expect the Cavs to take advantage of, which is why I think we win in 5), they play as a team with one goal. They've been there before as a group, they know what is needed in terms of intensity.

Beerisgood is dead on when he says that the only way the Cavs win is via the perfect storm of luck and lack of focus by the Spurs.

cherylsteele
06-04-2007, 07:44 PM
Once again, you want to throw out all these dumb comparisons of Lebron to Michael, but that is all you.
It seems to me that nearly every sports writer/critic is comparing LeBron to MJ.
Not just this one person.

cherylsteele
06-04-2007, 07:46 PM
as opposed to this year's Detroit Drama Queens
Or the Detroit Donuts.....they have no center.

cherylsteele
06-04-2007, 07:48 PM
I'll take the best player in the world and dominant team leader
Sorry.....Timmy is under contract for the Spurs for a least a few more years.

BreezeHillBill
06-04-2007, 07:52 PM
Nice post. But, did you have to write that much to sneak in the zinger about "the stuff the Spurs pulled against the Suns"? There it is again, Spurs shouldn't be there because they got away with something. Sound as unbiased as you want, but you're making excuses already.

cherylsteele
06-04-2007, 07:54 PM
Like I said, enjoy the clinic.
You know, the Spurs usually charge people for participating in their basketball clinic, The Cavs should feel lucky to be getting in for free.

LavaLamp
06-04-2007, 08:04 PM
It's all about matchups. "How well do the Cavs matchup against the Spurs?" is really the main question. Since the early RS games are a poor indicator, we will just have to wait and see. It will be interesting.

Magic_Johnson
06-04-2007, 08:27 PM

:toast

ang_mysteryo
06-04-2007, 08:50 PM
actually, nobody, not even GP have a clear analysis of this series...

it's all brand new because cleveland is a big surprise for the whole world...

it would take at least 3 games to really know the cavs basketball...

offense is not really as big an issue as defense since both have weapons of different calibers capable of blowing out each other's head anytime....

it's actually defense that will dictate the flow of this series....

i know you take pride in manu.... we take pride with everybody in the cavs roster.... that's what we are, a team effort, and i guess you're so familiar w/ that....

it's just that the cavs have been struggling to do some soul-searching during the reg season and they'v just finally realized who they really just in time for the playoffs(a one-man team as you most say....)... and that's what the world didn't realize....

one clear indication here worth mentioning is that the cavs were able to contain kidd, carter and jeferson.....billups, hamilton and prince..... i have no idea how good manu, parker and finley will be as compared to those squad since it really depends upon chemistry to maximize talents.....

UV Ray
06-04-2007, 08:59 PM
Priceless.
:lmao :lmao

SAGambler
06-04-2007, 09:00 PM

Or even Mello.......With AI.....

And the Spurs still prevailed.

What no one seems to get is the Spurs have been in another zone the last few weeks.

I suggest all Cav fan get a copy of Spurs vs Jazz, WCF 2007, Game 5, 1st quarter, if you really want to see what you are facing in the finals.

And keep in mind while you are watching it, that the Jazz were supposed to be a super defensive and rebounding team also.

FromWayDowntown
06-04-2007, 09:49 PM
Just read this earlier today, take a look: Jordan praises James ahead of NBA Finals (http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news;_ylt=Ajp_ifb8yx04Dkuw_LGe9xG8vLYF?slug=ap-michaeljordan-james&prov=ap&type=lgns) . This pretty much sums it up. I've never been one to compare Lebron to Michael, all of Lebron's critics have already done that for me. However, although I'm not going to make any comparisons, I will say that it seems pretty clear who MJ is rooting for in this one.

Just earlier this postseason, take a look: Russell praises Duncan again ahead of NBA Finals (http://www.nba.com/playoffs2007/news/billrussell_postseason.html#070529) and Russell praises Duncan ahead of NBA Finals (http://www.nba.com/playoffs2007/news/billrussell_postseason.html#070521) (though he did praise Lebron as well). That pretty much sums it up. I've never been one to compare Timmy to Bill Russell, but I will say that 11 championships > 6 championships. However, although I'm not going to make any comparisons (and feel totally uninhibited by rules of usage), I will say that it seems pretty clear who Bill Russell is rooting for in this one.

GSH
06-04-2007, 10:14 PM
The cavs play very physical ball and with guys like Pollard, Varejao, and even sasha, there could be a few fights in the series if the Spurs do play dirty.

Please, God, let them play Scot Pollard...a lot.

It seems that our guys have finally bought into Mike Browns philosophy.

Mike Brown's philosophy? Bring in Hank Egan to coach defense. Then give the ball to LeBron and tell him to create something.

The Cavs mentally broke the Pistons, a team whose team makeup/ style of play eerily resembles your own.

When the Pistons were the Pistons (i.e. still had Ben Wallace in the middle, and playing as a unit) we kicked their asses in the finals. Good luck "mentally breaking" the Spurs.

FromWayDowntown
06-04-2007, 10:22 PM
Mike Brown's philosophy? Bring in Hank Egan to coach defense. Then give the ball to LeBron and tell him to create something.

I thought that philosophy was: keep Pop's number nearby and call him between games to get advice about adjustments. Then give the ball to Lebron and tell him to create something.

Marcus Bryant
06-04-2007, 10:45 PM
I thought that philosophy was: keep Pop's number nearby and call him between games to get advice about adjustments. Then give the ball to Lebron and tell him to create something.

...and hope Beno sees the court like in the games played 5 months ago.

CavsDak
06-04-2007, 11:05 PM
I'm not really sure what the Ohio University comment was about, especially from another Cavs fan but anyways...

I know I wrote a lot but maybe some of the points I made were misinterpreted. I did not mean that the Cavs are going to mentally break the Spurs. I only mean to say that we did catalyze this within the Pistons. I agree, the Spurs are a different team but, for what its worth, the same comment I made about the similarities between the Spurs/ Detroit in their styles/makeups was talked about today on PTI/ Around the Horn. The Spurs have much stronger character however so I wouldn’t expect the same from them.

As far as physicality goes, I would never expect a team like the Spurs to back down from us. What I was getting at was that our size does pose a new threat that the Spurs might not have experienced during your playoff run. Lebron will probably do a majority of the ball handling and at 6’8’’, 240 lbs with the speed and agility of Parker and as explosive as any player in the league this will be something new. He will penetrate a lot and you will collapse to protect the lane. Lebron will dish and we will have to hit the open looks that we will be getting.

Ginobli is going to make shots, I have no doubt about that. But I think our team did a pretty good job at slowing down the Pistons shooters (Hamilton, Prince, Billups) and the Nets all stars (Kidd, Jefferson, and Carter). We did have a few let downs (games 3 and 5 of the Nets series) and this definitely must be avoided. I think the reason why the pistons struggled so much was more due to our evolution as a defensive basketball team than from the Pistons underachieving. Rarely did they have open shots where our guys didn’t at least get a hand up. If we can keep up our defensive intensity this will cause problems for your shooters. Also, Mike Brown’s defensive philosophy (Spurs Defense) is the key. His offensive philosophy is non existent.

I agree that the West has more quality teams from top to bottom but I’m pretty sure that 2 out of the past 3 years the Champ has come from the East. To be honest, I think the Spurs are the top team in the West but at the same time they are the best match up for us because our styles are similar. We struggle with the Suns and Mavs because they are more efficient at the uptempo style than we are.

I do grant that the Spurs are on a roll and a different team from the regular season. But you know what, the cavs are too and to a much greater extent. The thought keeps going through my head that “Man the Spurs are great, they’ve won 3 Championships and this is our first finals,” but for some reason, this really doesn’t bother me. Should it? I really think we have a great chance to win this series. Our best is yet to come.

Marcus Bryant
06-04-2007, 11:08 PM
What I was getting at was that our size does pose a new threat that the Spurs might not have experienced during your playoff run

See the Denver series.

Marcus Bryant
06-04-2007, 11:10 PM
Ginobli is going to make shots, I have no doubt about that. But I think our team did a pretty good job at slowing down the Pistons shooters (Hamilton, Prince, Billups) and the Nets all stars (Kidd, Jefferson, and Carter). We did have a few let downs (games 3 and 5 of the Nets series) and this definitely must be avoided. I think the reason why the pistons struggled so much was more due to our evolution as a defensive basketball team than from the Pistons underachieving. Rarely did they have open shots where our guys didn’t at least get a hand up. If we can keep up our defensive intensity this will cause problems for your shooters. Also, Mike Brown’s defensive philosophy (Spurs Defense) is the key. His offensive philosophy is non existent.

Who's the major low post threat the Cavs faced in those series?

Sec24Row7
06-04-2007, 11:35 PM
We are more efficient at an uptempo style than you are too...

Marcus Bryant
06-04-2007, 11:41 PM
The Nuggets featured a big 3 who could put it on the floor and drive or step back and knock down the J, as well as a big athletic 4 in Nene and an athletic shotblocking and rebounding 5 in Camby. That's more the profile of a frontcourt that would give the Spurs fits. A plodding 5 like Ilgauskas will be less of a problem.

raspsa
06-04-2007, 11:47 PM
The mental fortitude of the Spurs is one of their greatest assets.. Detroit was the same once years ago but the dissension between some players and the coach was plainly visible this season and was a key reason why they lost.. no such danger with the Spurs who are as solid as Mt. Everest. All players know their role and accept them willingly. Pop is a hard taskmaster but is fair and caring at the same time and has the total allegiance of the players and management.

As for a "having nothing to lose" attitude, that isn't too far away from "just happy to be here" in my book.. As pointed out in some other posts, I'm glad LBJ had his monster game.. I'm glad the Cavs beat the Spurs twice in the RS.. the Spurs have a tendency to relax at times and play without the "appropriate fear" that Pop talks about.. I hope to see a Spurs team in game 1 that plays like its the underdog, not like the Spurs team that was lauded after game 2 vs Utah and came out to be embarrassed in front of the whole world. But true to form, they recovered from that blunder to take care of business in 5 games.

Spurs simply don't handle praise too well w/c is my big concern reading a lot of the stories in media in recent days.

FuzzyLumpkins
06-04-2007, 11:52 PM
Wilt Chamberlain was the most dominant player in the history of the NBA but he still couldnt beat those Celtic teams by himself. He faced those Celtics teams 8 times and would outscore Russel by an average of more than 20 points. He only won once and that was when he had HoFer Hal Greer and Billy Cunningham with him to make it a team effort

Lebron isnt Wilt.

Trainwreck2100
06-04-2007, 11:54 PM
But Wilt didn't dunk as well as lebron and dunking=highlights and highlights=championships

FuzzyLumpkins
06-04-2007, 11:56 PM
But Wilt didn't dunk as well as lebron and dunking=highlights and highlights=championships

He averaged 50 points and 25 rebounds one season and still lost to that Celtic team.

milkyway21
06-04-2007, 11:56 PM
Today, 01:04 PM #9
virginislandCAVS
Believe.

Position: Rugged Forward
Team: Cleveland Cavaliers
vBookie Cash: $500

..and I thought fans from Virgin Islands are cheering for their best export-Tim Duncan.

how come:oops?

Trainwreck2100
06-04-2007, 11:58 PM
He averaged 50 points and 25 rebounds one season and still lost to that Celtic team.

But how many of those 50 points were highlight points?

FuzzyLumpkins
06-05-2007, 12:06 AM
But how many of those 50 points were highlight points?

Yeah (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6QmhTWmAaBc), you are right too many jumpshots and blocks.

He did break a dudes hand that tried to block him dunking once if that counts.

i dont know. Wilt Chamberlain is the personification of how basketball is a team game.

dbreiden83080
06-05-2007, 12:14 AM
Wilt Chamberlain was the most dominant player in the history of the NBA but he still couldnt beat those Celtic teams by himself. He faced those Celtics teams 8 times and would outscore Russel by an average of more than 20 points. He only won once and that was when he had HoFer Hal Greer and Billy Cunningham with him to make it a team effort

Lebron isnt Wilt.

Damn right Wilt is the best Center of all time. Anyone who said Russell owned him is an idiot, Wilt destroyed Russell one on one and anyone who tried to stop him. By any statistical measure Wilt is the most dominant player the game has ever known, he averaged 50pts a game for a season for god's sake. The Celts were better than his teams period, one man can not do it all.

phyzik
06-05-2007, 08:37 AM
I like the Cavs because LeBron has the ability to dominate games to a greater degree than any other player in the league, and they have the big men and defensive players across the board to smother the Spurs and make them do things that they don't want to do when they have the basketball offensively.

you could easily be talking about the spurs there, as a matter of fact, thats a description given to the Spurs for years, its been said about them this whole post season, and I have a feeling your "championship" defense cavs have no idea whats in store for them when they face real "championship" defense.

BWJACKETS
06-05-2007, 08:46 AM
Who's the major low post threat the Cavs faced in those series?

Detroit has some guys who can play in the post. Obviously Tim Duncan is a great player and everything, however the Cavs will deal with him just fine. They've got two legit centers to combat him with and a ton of other big men as well. And also, we've seen in the past that you can commit hard fouls on Duncan and put him at the line and more times than not is only going to knock down one of his shots. Tim Duncan is a poor free throw shooter so don't expect him to be allowed to go up for very many shots in this series.

101A
06-05-2007, 08:58 AM
Detroit has some guys who can play in the post. Obviously Tim Duncan is a great player and everything, however the Cavs will deal with him just fine. They've got two legit centers to combat him with and a ton of other big men as well. And also, we've seen in the past that you can commit hard fouls on Duncan and put him at the line and more times than not is only going to knock down one of his shots. Tim Duncan is a poor free throw shooter so don't expect him to be allowed to go up for very many shots in this series.

And when those bigs foul out, what are you going to do against penetration?

Also, you didn't answer the question. What low post threat have the Cavs faced this post-season?

BWJACKETS
06-05-2007, 09:05 AM
you could easily be talking about the spurs there, as a matter of fact, thats a description given to the Spurs for years, its been said about them this whole post season, and I have a feeling your "championship" defense cavs have no idea whats in store for them when they face real "championship" defense.

Cavs will be fine, Lebron lightens the load a ton on offense and it allows the other guys on the court to concentrate on defense. Also, I think that while SA has ran this defense for longer, CLE makes up for that with toughness and scrapiness, and that cannot be underestimated.

I like Cleveland's chances because they are a dominant defensive squad, they've got Lebron James to lead the way, and Mike Brown was taught under GP in the SA system so he already knows exactly what the Spurs are going to try to do and when they are going to try it. Sound familiar? That's because Don Nelson benefited from this exact situation earlier in the playoffs when he used that information he had learned and used it to knock off the much more talented #1-seed Dallas Mavericks.

ang_mysteryo
06-05-2007, 09:33 AM

Also, you didn't answer the question. What low post threat have the Cavs faced this post-season?

i think it's not appropriate to really conclude at this point in time what the cavs have to offer for the mighty spurs...

to some degree, the cavs managed to manifest a major threat to anybody at some given nights during the past two years but on an inconsistent basis...

on the other hand, the spurs have been solid all throughout the years...

both teams have common defensive philosophies--the reason why the cavs also made it to this point...

what makes it more ironic is that the east is so weak, save perhaps for detroit...whatever the case, they're still a force to reckon with...

although both teams have common foundations, they're still strangers to each other...

GP and his team do not take the cavs lightly, or underestimate them, which is a good thing for the spurs team....(i hope the fans too :) )

on the other hand, MB and his crew are not afraid of the spurs, which is also a good thing....(so does its fans :hungry: )

the difference between the cavs and the nuggets, suns and jazz is that cleveland plays ugly ball...

they have made a living out of it this postseason...

that's the threat the spurs have to deal with... but i know GP is so darn good not to see that and made some premature adjustments...

the spurs is a new challenge, the biggest one this season, for the cavs...

sheed, mcdyes and webber are junior duncans so the cavs have to deal with it seriously...

parker, ginobili, finley and bowen are at par with jkidd, carter and jefferson and so does rip and chauncey...

the difference w/ san antonio is still duncan...

to sum it up, the spurs have all the machinery for another title-it's fourth...

but the cavs have what it takes to make a major upset...and it remains a mystery until the finals series begins....

good luck to both teams :ihit ....just play fair :spin .... so that the world will not say anything stupid :bang ....

WalterBenitez
06-05-2007, 09:37 AM
All of that and no mention of any concern about Ginobili?

He did not watch him play ... :p:

FromWayDowntown
06-05-2007, 09:37 AM
Where was the greatness that is Lebron carrying his team offensively when the Cavs dropped a staggering 3-17 fourth quarter in Game 4 against New Jersey?

leemajors
06-05-2007, 09:38 AM
Where was the greatness that is Lebron carrying his team offensively when the Cavs dropped a staggering 3-17 fourth quarter in Game 4 against New Jersey?

it was totally looming.

Hook Dem
06-05-2007, 09:41 AM
i think it's not appropriate to really conclude at this point in time what the cavs have to offer for the mighty spurs...

to some degree, the cavs managed to manifest a major threat to anybody at some given nights during the past two years but on an inconsistent basis...

both teams have common defensive philosophies--the reason why the cavs also made it to this point...

what makes it more ironic is that the east is so weak, save perhaps for detroit...whatever the case, they're still a force to reckon with...

although both teams have common foundations, they're still strangers to each other...

GP and his team do not take the cavs lightly, or underestimate them, which is a good thing for the spurs team....(i hope the fans too :) )

on the other hand, MB and his crew are not afraid of the spurs, which is also a good thing....(so does its fans :hungry: )

the difference between the cavs and the nuggets, suns and jazz is that cleveland plays ugly ball...

that's the threat the spurs have to deal with... but i know GP is so darn good not to see that and made some premature adjustments...

sheed, mcdyes and webber are junior duncans so the cavs have to deal with it seriously...

parker, ginobili, finley and bowen are at par with jkidd, carter and jefferson and so does rip and chauncey...

but the cavs have what it takes to make a major upset...and it remains a mystery until the finals series begins....

good luck to both teams :ihit ....just play fair :spin .... so that the world will not say anything stupid :bang ....
Just play fair?????? Does that go for the flopping Varejao also???? :rolleyes

BWJACKETS
06-05-2007, 09:42 AM

That is what Scott Pollard is for, cheap hard fouls that don't cost our starters anything.

Honest answer to your question? Detroit was posting up all series long with multiple people, so I'm not sure if you were watching but it was pretty apparent. Rasheed, Tayshaun, Webber, McDyess, etc. Obviously, none of these guys are the same kind of post threat that Duncan is. However, Duncan is only guy whereas Detroit attacked with depth. Definite contrast of styles in that respect. Hope that answers your question.

BWJACKETS
06-05-2007, 09:46 AM

This is a very good post, very accurate. However, one thing that nobody has mentioned- what about the story of Mike Brown having been taught by GP and the SA system? I think this is pretty major, the last couple times this has happened in organized sports it ended very badly for the team whose opposing coach came from their own system. Just look at Don Nelson using his knowledge of the Dallas system to beat the much more talented Mavericks team as an eight-seed!

easjer
06-05-2007, 09:49 AM
That is what Scott Pollard is for, cheap hard fouls that don't cost our starters anything.

Honest answer to your question? Detroit was posting up all series long with multiple people, so I'm not sure if you were watching but it was pretty apparent. Rasheed, Tayshaun, Webber, McDyess, etc. Obviously, none of these guys are the same kind of post threat that Duncan is. However, Duncan is only guy whereas Detroit attacked with depth. Definite contrast of styles in that respect. Hope that answers your question.

That is so untrue, particularly in the latter games of that series. Early on, you got some post moves from Rasheed and McDyess, and occasionally Tayshaun, but the Pistons interior presence left with Ben Wallace - the rest of the interior are preferred jumpshooters or garbage men in the post.

Momma_monkey
06-05-2007, 09:50 AM
Let's just bring on Shaq to distract Lebron. so he can slow dance with him like at the All Star Games. :king

We've got the Animals Manu and Fabby not to mention Mikey.
Bring it on.

ang_mysteryo
06-05-2007, 09:56 AM
Just play fair?????? Does that go for the flopping Varejao also???? :rolleyes

it's just clean tactics....not cheap shots

manu is just as talented as av....so no worries.... :reading

Useruser666
06-05-2007, 10:43 AM
This is a very good post, very accurate. However, one thing that nobody has mentioned- what about the story of Mike Brown having been taught by GP and the SA system? I think this is pretty major, the last couple times this has happened in organized sports it ended very badly for the team whose opposing coach came from their own system. Just look at Don Nelson using his knowledge of the Dallas system to beat the much more talented Mavericks team as an eight-seed!

Nelson was AJ's mentor. Pop is Mike Brown's mentor. You have proven the Spurs will win! Hurray!

DarrinS
06-05-2007, 10:52 AM
Great analysis.

Spurs in 5.

SAGambler
06-05-2007, 11:01 AM
Cavs will be fine, Lebron lightens the load a ton on offense and it allows the other guys on the court to concentrate on defense. Also, I think that while SA has ran this defense for longer, CLE makes up for that with toughness and scrapiness, and that cannot be underestimated.

I like Cleveland's chances because they are a dominant defensive squad, they've got Lebron James to lead the way, and Mike Brown was taught under GP in the SA system so he already knows exactly what the Spurs are going to try to do and when they are going to try it. Sound familiar? That's because Don Nelson benefited from this exact situation earlier in the playoffs when he used that information he had learned and used it to knock off the much more talented #1-seed Dallas Mavericks.

Hell, the entire world knows the offensive plan of the Cavs.....Give the ball to Bron....That's the entire offensive scheme.

As for Nellie....He knew how to exploit Dirks weaknesses.......

What weakness does Duncan have that you can exploit?

Other than at times being a poor FT shooter, Duncans game is solid throughout. And there are times, especially in playoff games that Duncan hits a very high percentage of those FTs.

So I guess you could early on try hack a Duncan, but then again we could also try hack a King......He is a bit shaky at the line too. Especially if he misses a couple of early ones.

Trainwreck2100
06-05-2007, 11:04 AM
Please God let them put in Scott Pollard.

FromWayDowntown
06-05-2007, 11:04 AM
what about the story of Mike Brown having been taught by GP and the SA system? I think this is pretty major, the last couple times this has happened in organized sports it ended very badly for the team whose opposing coach came from their own system. Just look at Don Nelson using his knowledge of the Dallas system to beat the much more talented Mavericks team as an eight-seed!

I'd find that fact more persuasive if there weren't rampant reports that Brown was calling Pop throughout the Detroit series to get ideas about between-game adjustments. Is Brown hoping that he can call Pop between games of the Finals for some advice, too?

DarrinS
06-05-2007, 11:06 AM
I'd find that fact more persuasive if there weren't rampant reports that Brown was calling Pop throughout the Detroit series to get ideas about between-game adjustments. Is Brown hoping that he can call Pop between games of the Finals for some advice, too?

Based on what I saw in the ECF, I'm not too worried about coach Brown. Sometimes a REALLY good player can overcome the decisions of a bad coach.

L.I.T
06-05-2007, 11:09 AM

Except being on the floor. If Scot Pollard is playing, that means Ilgauskas, Gooden or Varejao is in some sort of foul trouble. Which means: 1) Duncan is dominating in the post, or 2) the Spurs have decided to attack the basket at will.

In either scenario the Spurs are drawing fouls.

Next, the Spurs funnel their offense through the post, if Duncan is posting at will and having his way that probably means the Spurs offense is doing well. As many have pointed out, the Spurs offense is one of the most efficient in the league.

Personally, I'd take All-Star, Hall-of-fame quality over players who are highly uncomfortable in the post and hardly a threat any day.

L.I.T
06-05-2007, 11:09 AM
Based on what I saw in the ECF, I'm not too worried about coach Brown. Sometimes a REALLY good player can overcome the decisions of a bad coach.

You mean like Nash?

BWJACKETS
06-05-2007, 11:11 AM
Hell, the entire world knows the offensive plan of the Cavs.....Give the ball to Bron....That's the entire offensive scheme.

As for Nellie....He knew how to exploit Dirks weaknesses.......

What weakness does Duncan have that you can exploit?

Other than at times being a poor FT shooter, Duncans game is solid throughout. And there are times, especially in playoff games that Duncan hits a very high percentage of those FTs.

So I guess you could early on try hack a Duncan, but then again we could also try hack a King......He is a bit shaky at the line too. Especially if he misses a couple of early ones.

You said it right there, if you put Duncan at the line there is a good chance he will miss one or both free throws. I am much more confident in Lebron at the line than Duncan (Duncan may have been too, I couldn't tell you seeing as how I haven't watched the Spurs since the Phoenix series, seeing as how they are so boring!), Lebron has been on with his ft's during the playoffs. Duncan will get frustrated if and when he is unable to score from the field. With Lebron, you aren't going to stop him so one way or the other he is going to get his points.

ang_mysteryo
06-05-2007, 11:26 AM
You said it right there, if you put Duncan at the line there is a good chance he will miss one or both free throws. I am much more confident in Lebron at the line than Duncan (Duncan may have been too, I couldn't tell you seeing as how I haven't watched the Spurs since the Phoenix series, seeing as how they are so boring!), Lebron has been on with his ft's during the playoffs. Duncan will get frustrated if and when he is unable to score from the field. With Lebron, you aren't going to stop him so one way or the other he is going to get his points.

both lebron and duncan can create problems by putting their opponents on foul trouble.....

free throw will be a factor in this series....

but i don't expect any hack attack strategies here....

Man In Black
06-05-2007, 11:27 AM
I like Cleveland's chances because they are a dominant defensive squad, they've got Lebron James to lead the way
Umm..How many All-NBA D teams has LeBron been on again? ZERO

What you fail to realize is that if Pollard is out there, then you guys are literally playing 4 against 5 and while he has 6 fouls to give, he also doesn't give you anything else other than the remote possibility of getting an offensive rebound.

However, one thing that nobody has mentioned- what about the story of Mike Brown having been taught by GP and the SA system? I think this is pretty major, the last couple times this has happened in organized sports it ended very badly for the team whose opposing coach came from their own system.
Technically for defense, both Pop and Brown have used Hank Egan for their D principles. But the difference here is that San Antonio has TWO ALL-NBA 1st Team Defenders while Cleveland has none.
So you can say scrappy and all, but remember San Antonio has been doing it better and longer and experience counts. You'll see soon enough.

FromWayDowntown
06-05-2007, 11:29 AM
You said it right there, if you put Duncan at the line there is a good chance he will miss one or both free throws. I am much more confident in Lebron at the line than Duncan, Lebron has been on with his ft's during the playoffs. Duncan will get frustrated if and when he is unable to score from the field. With Lebron, you aren't going to stop him so one way or the other he is going to get his points.

Let's see: since 2001, Tim Duncan has played in 20 playoff series against a wide array of opponents presenting just about every conceivable defensive approach. In that time, he's averaged at least 20 ppg in 18 of the 20 series. In the 2 in which he didn't get 20 ppg, he had a first round series against Phoenix where he shot 52% from the field and averaged 5.2 apg while scoring 18.7 ppg; in the other, in the First Round against Sacramento last year, he averaged 18.3 ppg while hitting at a 61% clip from the floor while playing only 33 mpg.

For the record, he's averaged at least 24 ppg in 11 of those 20 series.

He's shot over .500 from the field in 11 of those series, including the last two series this year, in which he's shot better than 57% from the floor and both series in 2006 (61% and 56%). He's had exactly 1 series in the last 20 in which he shot less than 45% from the floor -- the 2005 Finals. Of course, he played that series on a sprained ankle and had to deal with Ben Wallace and Rasheed Wallace. And, oh by the way, Duncan's team still managed to win that series.

It might be that Cleveland can do an unprecedented job of controlling Tim Duncan in the 2007 Finals -- but it would be just that: unprecedented.

easjer
06-05-2007, 11:41 AM
Weren't both of Tim's ankles sprained in the 2005 finals? I thought the one had not fully healed yet, and the other was injured in the 6th game of the WCSF.

ang_mysteryo
06-05-2007, 12:00 PM
Umm..How many All-NBA D teams has LeBron been on again? ZERO

What you fail to realize is that if Pollard is out there, then you guys are literally playing 4 against 5 and while he has 6 fouls to give, he also doesn't give you anything else other than the remote possibility of getting an offensive rebound.

Technically for defense, both Pop and Brown have used Hank Egan for their D principles. But the difference here is that San Antonio has TWO ALL-NBA 1st Team Defenders while Cleveland has none.
So you can say scrappy and all, but remember San Antonio has been doing it better and longer and experience counts. You'll see soon enough.

you've got a point there...but effective defense is a collective effort...

bowen is not effective w/o help defense as a case...

the cavs don't look impressive individually, but as a team defense, they can give you a headache...

ancestron
06-05-2007, 12:02 PM
I am going to go against the grain here a bit and say that the Cavs will not know what hit them. I respect them, their fans, and their city, and LeBron James is a great player surrounded by a good supporing cast, but I honestly think they have NO IDEA what they are in for going into the Finals against the Spurs.

FromWayDowntown
06-05-2007, 12:02 PM
It's too bad for us Spurs fans that the Spurs don't have any real concept of team defense . . . .

BWJACKETS
06-05-2007, 12:11 PM
I am going to go against the grain here a bit and say that the Cavs will not know what hit them. I respect them, their fans, and their city, and LeBron James is a great player surrounded by a good supporing cast, but I honestly think they have NO IDEA what they are in for going into the Finals against the Spurs.

I think I know what they are in for...another team that is overconfident and in for a fall. Mike Brown knows everything that Spurs will try to do because he knows their entire playbook in and out, he will make this an ugly series and Lebron will take over from there. Cavs in 5, nobody will see it coming but the Cavs have all the tools to win a championship right now and Lebron will continue to step his game up and assert himself as the best player in the league. You can do that when you are 22 years old and already the most talented in the league by far.

duncan228
06-05-2007, 12:16 PM
I think I know what they are in for...another team that is overconfident and in for a fall. Mike Brown knows everything that Spurs will try to do because he knows their entire playbook in and out, he will make this an ugly series and Lebron will take over from there. Cavs in 5, nobody will see it coming but the Cavs have all the tools to win a championship right now and Lebron will continue to step his game up and assert himself as the best player in the league. You can do that when you are 22 years old and already the most talented in the league by far.

You obviously have never watched the Spurs.
One thing they never are is over confidant.
They've been here before, they know what it is and what it takes to win.

As far as coaches go, it's the teacher vs. the student. I'll take the experience of the teacher every time.

Do yourself (and us) a favor. Go back and read the posts from the Mavs/Nuggets/Suns/Jazz fans. It doesn't matter which. See who knows what's coming.

101A
06-05-2007, 12:18 PM
Let's see: since 2001, Tim Duncan has played in 20 playoff series against a wide array of opponents presenting just about every conceivable defensive approach. In that time, he's averaged at least 20 ppg in 18 of the 20 series. In the 2 in which he didn't get 20 ppg, he had a first round series against Phoenix where he shot 52% from the field and averaged 5.2 apg while scoring 18.7 ppg; in the other, in the First Round against Sacramento last year, he averaged 18.3 ppg while hitting at a 61% clip from the floor while playing only 33 mpg.

For the record, he's averaged at least 24 ppg in 11 of those 20 series.

He's shot over .500 from the field in 11 of those series, including the last two series this year, in which he's shot better than 57% from the floor and both series in 2006 (61% and 56%). He's had exactly 1 series in the last 20 in which he shot less than 45% from the floor -- the 2005 Finals. Of course, he played that series on a sprained ankle and had to deal with Ben Wallace and Rasheed Wallace. And, oh by the way, Duncan's team still managed to win that series.

It might be that Cleveland can do an unprecedented job of controlling Tim Duncan in the 2007 Finals -- but it would be just that: unprecedented.

Yeah, but Scott Pollard has SIX fouls!

ang_mysteryo
06-05-2007, 12:19 PM

actually, only the fans are overconfident here...

GP is too damn smart not to take the cavs lightly....

he is dealing w/ a symbiote of the spurs but w/ a deadly sting....

it's just a matter of how he handles the threat.... :nope

ambchang
06-05-2007, 12:56 PM

I got to say that this thread is amusing on so many fronts, and I am just quoting this post because it happens to be the last one in a long string of posts that provides unbelievably bad logic with no facts to back up.

The idea of Hack-a-whoever has been overrated for long. Can anybody recall a game where the hack strategy works? If a very bad FT shooter, say one who shoots about 60% at the line, is fouled, and gets a chance to shoot two, the expected yield out of that trip is 1.2 points. Compared to say, a player who shoots a high percentage from the field, say again, 60%, the expected yield is exactly the same. Keep in mind that I am using two VERY extreme examples, in most cases, you are talking about a player like Duncan who shoots in the mid 60s on FT, vs. a guy like Duncan, who shoots in the low 50s from the field. But for argument’s sake, let’s say both are at 60%. The fouling team puts your team over the limit early on in the game, which means that you run the chance fouling a player who shoots a high % from the line later in the quarter, you put your players in foul trouble, AND you give the opposition 1.2 points per possession without having to expend any energy. This is purely poor coaching, and should only be used as a last resort to stop the clock and pray for a miracle.

Secondly, why would you be more confident in Lebron at he line than Duncan? Is there anything you can use to back that up? Lebron shoots 69.8% from the line, while Duncan shoots 63.7%, that is a 6 pt difference for every 100 FTs shot, that means approximately a difference of 0.6 pts per game based on missed FTs.

Third, Duncan will be frustrated if he can’t score from the field, and yet Lebron will score no matter what? I mean, how can anybody argue with this brilliant analysis? What the hell kind of logic is this? For the record, Duncan has been the more consistent scorer than James.
He had a standard deviation of 5.8 vs. a 19.99 scoring average for a ratio of 3.45 (larger the number, more consistent the scorer) in the regular season, and a 5.36 standard variation on 23.2 ppg in the playoffs for a ratio of 4.33.
While James was 7.25 and 27.33 for a ratio of 3.77 in the regular season, and 8.8 and 25.8 for the ratio of 2.93 in the playoffs. If anything, this shows that Duncan is rarely flustered by defensive schemes, especially in the playoffs.

Then this incessant talk about Lebron being the best player in the NBA, so on and so forth, so why did he not get into the All-NBA 1st team, or any All-defensive teams? Where is he dominant at?

Finally, all this talk about Cavs being a dominant defensive team, how did you figure the Spurs won 3 championships since 99?

easjer
06-05-2007, 01:05 PM
Finally, all this talk about Cavs being a dominant defensive team, how did you figure the Spurs won 3 championships since 99?

This kid clearly didn't watch the 2005 Finals, since this is the same kid that told us the Cavs would show us what championship level defense looked like.

:rolleyes

I'll give him that he's passionate about his team, and I totally understand and support that, but he clearly doesn't watch any basketball outside his team or have any sense of history here to make the claims he's making. If he'd just own up to that instead of trying get a bunch of Spurs fans to believe that we are mistaken in our faith in our team (by a very illogical and unsupported set of beliefs), then I'd respect him a lot more.

Thunder Dan
06-05-2007, 02:06 PM
I'm a Cleveland fan and a Buckeyes fan, I have a little advice for Spurs fans: Don't get too hyped about your team winning it all so easily. The reason I say this is becuase the let down is horrible (see Buckeye fans in January when we thought we couldn't be stopped). With that said, I think the Spurs will win. Like alot of reasonable Cavs fans, we are just happy to see them in the Finals for the first time ever, if they win, they win; but our expectations are high for the future not just the present.

easjer
06-05-2007, 02:10 PM
I'm a Cleveland fan and a Buckeyes fan, I have a little advice for Spurs fans: Don't get too hyped about your team winning it all so easily. The reason I say this is becuase the let down is horrible (see Buckeye fans in January when we thought we couldn't be stopped). With that said, I think the Spurs will win. Like alot of reasonable Cavs fans, we are just happy to see them in the Finals for the first time ever, if they win, they win; but our expectations are high for the future not just the present.

That's terrific. You should have high hopes. You are a couple of players away from a really good team.

And if the ship goes down (though BeerisGood! made a great argument about precisely what would have to happen to cause that perfect storm), at least we've got games to adjust to it. It's that one-game elimination/loss that hurts more.

FuzzyLumpkins
06-05-2007, 02:30 PM

That might make sense if we hadnt won 3 out of 3 already.

Its akin to telling a Bulls fan in 1996 or a Cowboys fan in 1995 to not get your hopes up too high.

Sorry but Texas doesnt have the Ohio curse. Weve gotten at least 9 championships out of Texas in the last 15 years.

Soul_Patch
06-05-2007, 02:43 PM
IS BWJACKETS the reincarnation of SpursDynasty?

duncan228
06-05-2007, 02:44 PM
IS BWJACKETS the reincarnation of SpursDynasty?

:lol

Thunder Dan
06-05-2007, 03:13 PM
Well fans in Columbus lost their curse in 2001 when Cooper was fired. From that time they have seen the Buckeyes win a National Title and beat Michigan every year other than 2003 (which if you know is the only game that really matters). Seeing National Championship calibur teams lose to Michigan year after year was the old Buckeyes with Cooper. So right, its a little different, but not much. We as Buckeye fans saw our team walk over everyone it its way, while knowing Tressel was a great big game coach, and this team was tested on the big stage (since last years OSU Michigan was actually more hyped and bigger than the BCS Title game). But the truth is the Buckeyes still lost, and so can the Spurs. Another good example is the Yankees against the Marlins in the 2003 World Series. I'm not saying the Spurs will lose, as it would be the logical man's bet for them to win, but don't start engraving their names in the trophy just yet becuase stranger things have happened.

FuzzyLumpkins
06-05-2007, 03:40 PM
Well fans in Columbus lost their curse in 2001 when Cooper was fired. From that time they have seen the Buckeyes win a National Title and beat Michigan every year other than 2003 (which if you know is the only game that really matters). Seeing National Championship calibur teams lose to Michigan year after year was the old Buckeyes with Cooper. So right, its a little different, but not much. We as Buckeye fans saw our team walk over everyone it its way, while knowing Tressel was a great big game coach, and this team was tested on the big stage (since last years OSU Michigan was actually more hyped and bigger than the BCS Title game). But the truth is the Buckeyes still lost, and so can the Spurs. Another good example is the Yankees against the Marlins in the 2003 World Series. I'm not saying the Spurs will lose, as it would be the logical man's bet for them to win, but don't start engraving their names in the trophy just yet becuase stranger things have happened.

You do realize that a NCAA Div-IA team is the same basica roster make up as a AA Baseball team right. Look at the rosters and you will notice the same ages and pedggree all over the place. Crowing because you have won on a level where 90% of the roster wont even get a shot at the next level and maybe 1% will be good doesnt mean a whole bunch.

In professional athletics the state of Ohio has seen one Championship since 1950. None since 1960 and if you want to crow about minor league football then feel free but i could give a shit.

Texas won the national championship 2 years ago unlike the choke jon Ohio put on display this year , has won the CWS tice in the last few years, and has graced the final four as well.

Wow, you beat Michigan?!?! Even when it comes to college athletics you state cant even so much as hold our jock. In reality, Ohio athletics supporters should sit down, shut up and pray that history doesn't repeat itself yet again.

ClingingMars
06-05-2007, 03:45 PM

You really have no concept of APPROPRIATE FEAR, do you?

-Mars

Thunder Dan
06-05-2007, 04:42 PM
You do realize that a NCAA Div-IA team is the same basica roster make up as a AA Baseball team right. Look at the rosters and you will notice the same ages and pedggree all over the place. Crowing because you have won on a level where 90% of the roster wont even get a shot at the next level and maybe 1% will be good doesnt mean a whole bunch.

In professional athletics the state of Ohio has seen one Championship since 1950. None since 1960 and if you want to crow about minor league football then feel free but i could give a shit.

Texas won the national championship 2 years ago unlike the choke jon Ohio put on display this year , has won the CWS tice in the last few years, and has graced the final four as well.

Wow, you beat Michigan?!?! Even when it comes to college athletics you state cant even so much as hold our jock. In reality, Ohio athletics supporters should sit down, shut up and pray that history doesn't repeat itself yet again.

here is your jock strap back bitch

Heisman Throphies : Ohio St. (8) Texas (2)
National Titles Ohio St. (7) Texas (4)
Players drafted in 1st rd. Ohio St. (66) Texas (52)

not to mention you guys got waxed on your home field this year. Good thing the Buckeyes let up in the 2nd half and stopped throwing it. You guys only beat us in 2005 becuase Troy didn't play most of the game.

FromWayDowntown
06-05-2007, 05:20 PM

I'm guessing that your argument is either that Cincinnati is not in Ohio or that Major League Baseball does not constitute "professional athletics."

FuzzyLumpkins
06-05-2007, 05:23 PM
I'm guessing that your argument is either that Cincinnati is not in Ohio or that Major League Baseball does not constitute "professional athletics."

damnit i forgot about the reds. DOH!!! its sad nobody from Ohio said that. need to adjust it to Cleveland I spose.

I wanted to take a bat to Sabo too.

SpurOutofTownFan
06-05-2007, 06:20 PM
I mean, it was an overall nice post, good for the cleveland market but you missed a lot of things and it is clear you haven't watched all the spurs games. Not trying to offend you but I don't think you are prepared.

SpurOutofTownFan
06-05-2007, 06:26 PM
Cleveland will be just fine in this series. All this talk about SA being just fine playing Lebron man to man is just window dressing, when it comes time to play the game they have two options- 1)Give Lebron double and triple-teams, or 2)Get smoked. Seems like an easy choice to me. Mr. James is more focused right now than he ever has been in his entire life, give him single-coverage and the Cavs might score on every trip down the court.

Duncan doesn't scare me in this matchup because Cleveland has size and depth to combat him with, as far as matchups go I think this series is tailor-made for the Cavs because of their ability to play physical and play relentless, hounding defense. The only thing that worries me is that Ginobli and Parker will get their usual bad call fouls, I'm not even worried about them making their shots so much as these guys going to the line every trip down the floor, take away even some of those and both of these guys aren't that great. Obviously, there are going to be alot of people who think I am crazy, however I am not going to be one of those jerks who say "CLEVELAND IN 4, CLEVELAND in 5, CLEVELAND IN 6, etc etc." What I am going to say is that Cleveland plays great defense and they have the best player in the NBA, so you absolutely cannot count them out of this one.

You strike me as that guy who hasn't watched a spurs game and talks about Ginobili as a flopper because you heard it somewhere. Ginobili is top 5 in this league, one of the best finishers at the rim and when he is on you can't stop him. Period. He is usually the guy who starts the fire on any given game and then sets the tone for the rest of the team to pick you apart and blow you out. He has more rings, championships, awards than the entire Cav's team combined. I mean.

You just strike me...

SpurOutofTownFan
06-05-2007, 06:27 PM
and let me mention, he usually has one game in each series where he just owns your entire team and does whatever he wants.

SpurOutofTownFan
06-05-2007, 06:48 PM

You are 15 years old, right?

SpurOutofTownFan
06-05-2007, 06:52 PM

Sorry to break it to you but in order for the Cavs to win an NBA finals with Lebron, they need to bring at least another star to play with him. Period. Also, age is a good factor. Typical champioship teams are on their prime when the core is past 25 years old and they have good experienced players wth a right mix of young talent.

WalterBenitez
06-05-2007, 08:05 PM
A stupid question?

How Cavs' fans ranked compared with Mavs' stupidity?