PDA

View Full Version : Lebron: The Next Duncan?

Spaceman Spiff
06-04-2007, 02:14 PM
Headline may be a little extreme...
The Silver and Black Link (www.thesilverandblack.blogspot.com)

Real GM Link (http://spurs.realgm.com/articles/60/20070604/is_lebron_the_next_duncan/)

The storylines surrounding the 2007 NBA finals will inevitably focus on how these two organizations are so closely intertwined; a relationship fostered by similar principles, fortune, and, perhaps above all else, a surprisingly similar pair of superstars.

Yes, we know Cavaliers head coach Mike Brown was an assistant under Gregg Popovich. We also know that Cavs GM Danny Ferry won a championship with the Spurs in the 2003 Finals. But perhaps the greatest similarity between the two teams is in their franchise players: Tim Duncan and Lebron James.

I know what you’re thinking…the two players couldn’t be more dissimilar. Comparing the full court athleticism of The King to the inside dominance of Duncan is apples and oranges (or, in this case, tejano and rock and roll). Duncan’s kiss off the bank resembles little of Lebron’s high flying maneuvers. Lebron’s speed and quickness won’t remind anyone of Duncan’s methodical, fundamental footwork and poise.

All of the above is true, their similarities may not be evident on highlight reels or boxscores… but it’s what they have in common, not their differences, that have landed their respective teams in the NBA finals.

Both players were the can’t-miss players of their decade; Duncan was an unstoppable college player who was the next great big man in the NBA while James was billed as the savior of a franchise (and perhaps the NBA). Both players have always had games mature beyond their years, Duncan favoring the fundamentals of a wily veteran while James has the poise and mentality of a point guard.

But their connections are rooted in more than on court play. Their similarities are fixated in the intangibles of the game, the smaller aspects of basketball both on and off the hardwood. Both James and Duncan will be the first player on their team to help a teammate off the court. They are the guy that puts his arm around his teammate when he misses the game winning shot, and the first to congratulate him when he makes it. Maybe most importantly, both players are of the rare superstar mold to actually pass up the game winning shot to that teammate in the first place.

Duncan and Lebron don’t get too down when they slump, and they aren’t satisfied with their success. They are mild-mannered off the court, rarely drawing attention to themselves in the national headlines for anything that isn’t basketball-related, and that professional tone helps craft the character of their flourishing organizations. At the early age of 23, Duncan appeared in the NBA Finals. James will do so at 22.

How many other superstars have their combination of leadership, competitiveness, a complete game and a total trust in teammates? Kobe and Iverson don’t. Dwayne Wade, though leading by example, isn’t the vocal leader on a team with Shaq and Pat Riley. Dirk and Nash don’t have enough dimensions to their game, notably on the defensive end. Kevin Garnett may be the closest thing to them, but he hasn’t had the success of Duncan or James, and doesn’t have the same cool, calm and collected demeanor. James and Duncan have a unique breed of humility, trust, and dominance that few, if any, can match.

No, they don’t mirror one another on the court, but while everyone is trying to make James into the next Jordan, perhaps the things that make James unique have more in common with another NBA legend.

A legend he’s about to face for the right to be a champion.

fuckespn
06-04-2007, 02:16 PM
Fuck a king, fuck a le fuck a bron, the only james I know is james white

BlackFlagg
06-04-2007, 02:31 PM
So which is it, Lebron better than Duncan, or Lebron, the next Duncan? I wish they'd make up their minds. :lol

MaNuMaNiAc
06-04-2007, 02:31 PM
aah yes, because Duncan will shout "make way for the superstar" after winning a game. Yes, completely alike, no doubt.

Spaceman Spiff
06-04-2007, 02:36 PM
aah yes, because Duncan will shout "make way for the superstar" after winning a game. Yes, completely alike, no doubt.

Eh, Lebron is obviously more cocky. I think Lebron is arrogant as hell, but he's still a great teammate. Duncan's modesty is in a league of its own.

Trainwreck2100
06-04-2007, 02:38 PM
:lol

nkdlunch
06-04-2007, 02:39 PM
apple, the next orange

Fillmoe
06-04-2007, 02:40 PM
Fuck a king, fuck a le fuck a bron, the only james I know is james white

:lol :lol :lol :lol

spurs fans are so funny......

cherylsteele
06-04-2007, 02:43 PM
I thought he was the next MJ. Now it is the next Duncan? LeBron is a PF?

fuckespn
06-04-2007, 02:45 PM
:lol :lol :lol :lol

spurs fans are so funny......

You would be from cali and never hear of Kurupt

Hillcrest
06-04-2007, 03:07 PM

Lebron was referring to Daniel Gibson when he said this...

Supergirl
06-04-2007, 03:09 PM
Also, it's hard to imagine Duncan scoring the final 25 points of any game. Not because he COULDN'T - or because there weren't games when you wish he WOULD - but because it's not his style. He plays best when he is getting his teammates involved, and he feeds off the double teams by kicking the ball out to open team mates.

I agree with the assessment that they are both singularly franchise-changing, momentum shifting #1 draft picks. But the similarities end there.

If Amare grows up and learns to play defense consistently - he's the most likely heir to Tim Duncan.

duncan228
06-04-2007, 03:28 PM
LeBron's growth has been incredible.
He appears to be the real thing and he will be around a long time and win a lot.

But not this year.

He's light years away from Duncan. I can appreciate the similarities, but he's got some growing to do. Duncan entered the league more mature on and off the court. Four years of college will do that for you. LeBron is just that age now, granted with more NBA experience but with less personal growth experience.

I think LeBron is for real (obviously), but it's too early for any comparisons, MJ or Duncan.

I like what Bowen said about him. Just let him be LeBron.

ratm1221
06-04-2007, 03:32 PM
Also, it's hard to imagine Duncan scoring the final 25 points of any game. Not because he COULDN'T - or because there weren't games when you wish he WOULD - but because it's not his style.

sure :rolleyes

florige
06-04-2007, 03:41 PM
Eh, Lebron is obviously more cocky. I think Lebron is arrogant as hell, but he's still a great teammate. Duncan's modesty is in a league of its own.

Lebron doesn't come off as being to arrogant to me. Kobe has that title.

duncan228
06-04-2007, 03:46 PM
LeBron is still a boy.

Duncan is a man.

Tippecanoe
06-04-2007, 03:46 PM
apple, the next orange

:lmao :lmao

weebo
06-04-2007, 03:49 PM
Lebron is the next nothing until he wins sumfin

BigBeezie
06-04-2007, 03:50 PM
I'm tired of the hype machine that has become the Cavs. I hope we pull a sweep on the Cavs and make Bron question whether or not he even belongs on the Cavs.

mbass
06-04-2007, 03:52 PM
So which is it, Lebron better than Duncan, or Lebron, the next Duncan? I wish they'd make up their minds. :lol

They are each players of their respective decades. And they both have that indominable WILL to WIN - more so than any other player (including Kobe or that mild mannered Heat player). I think this is the most exciting Finals in forever. :hungry: :hungry: :hungry: :hungry:

mbass
06-04-2007, 03:55 PM
Also, it's hard to imagine Duncan scoring the final 25 points of any game. Not because he COULDN'T - or because there weren't games when you wish he WOULD - but because it's not his style. He plays best when he is getting his teammates involved, and he feeds off the double teams by kicking the ball out to open team mates.

I agree with the assessment that they are both singularly franchise-changing, momentum shifting #1 draft picks. But the similarities end there.

If Amare grows up and learns to play defense consistently - he's the most likely heir to Tim Duncan.

There is no heir to Duncan. Besides Amare is not nearly as intelligent as Timmy.

thousandth
06-04-2007, 04:45 PM
LeBron is still a boy.

Duncan is a man.

Yes! DUNCAN>Lebron.

Spaceman Spiff
06-04-2007, 05:14 PM
LeBron's growth has been incredible.
He appears to be the real thing and he will be around a long time and win a lot.

But not this year.

He's light years away from Duncan. I can appreciate the similarities, but he's got some growing to do. Duncan entered the league more mature on and off the court. Four years of college will do that for you. LeBron is just that age now, granted with more NBA experience but with less personal growth experience.

Good point. People forget that Duncan was widely considered the best player in the league in only his second season (a shortened season, at that). That being said, this is Lebron's 4th year in the league, so he might be about where Duncan was when he won it in 99.

Also, the article has little to do with Lebron being the "next" Duncan...the headline sucks. It just compares their off court support/relationship with teammates. So before everyone jumps on the "next" thing, understand that it's not what the article is about at all.

SpursWillOwn
06-04-2007, 06:47 PM
I don't think LeBron is as good as Duncan off the court-wise LeBron wants to be the richest man on earth, while Timmy starts his duncan foundation that aims to help people who gotten cancer. That's the difference kid and man.

exstatic
06-04-2007, 06:53 PM
Unless he puts in an MJ amount of work, LeBron will never dominate the game on BOTH ends the way Timmy does. He's pretty much a lazy ass on D.

Borosai
06-04-2007, 07:16 PM
http://img364.imageshack.us/img364/6945/stwitnessppka1.jpg