PDA

View Full Version : Spurs' pregame meals

TMTTRIO
06-04-2007, 02:21 PM
http://www.mysanantonio.com/salife/columnists/czapata/stories/MYSA060407.01P.zapata0604.24748d5.html
Claudia Zapata: Eating for the big game

Web Posted: 06/03/2007 04:34 PM CDT

San Antonio Express-News

Ever wonder what fuels a championship NBA team the day of a big home game?
Pasta and peanut butter, for starters.

As the Spurs prepare to play in the NBA Finals, they'll do their best to stick to their usual game-day routines. And along with a shoot-around and an afternoon nap, players will probably eat the same meal they ate before game one of the regular season and before every home game in between.

For most players, the pre-game meal is part nutrition, part superstition. A player will eat what he likes, but more important, what experience has taught him works for him, usually a mix of carbohydrates and protein. Plus, it has to be just enough, at just the right time so he feels neither hungry during the game nor too full, but ready to go.

Recently, I asked a few Spurs wives, who after all, have prepared their share of pre-game meals, for a peek at what's typically cooking on Spurs' training tables, and here's what they revealed:

A peanut butter sandwich does the trick for Spurs shooting guard Brent Barry. According to his wife, Erin, Brent has a big lunch that varies — pasta, a deli sandwich or a hamburger, for instance — and then takes a nap. But before he heads to a game, Brent always eats peanut butter on whole-wheat bread. "He's been doing this for all 12 years of his career," Erin says.

Carbohydrates, especially pasta, are big with athletes. And about three hours before every game, Spurs All-Star power forward Tim Duncan has "some kind of pasta with chicken" reports his wife, Amy. Sometimes cooked at home, sometimes take-out, an (often whole-wheat) pasta-and-protein dish is the one thing that sits well with him and doesn't leave him hungry by game time, she says. He'll then refuel afterward, usually with whatever he can find late at night.

"Tony pretty much eats the same thing every day before a game," e-mails the future Mrs. Parker, Eva Longoria. Eva prepares Tony's "favorite lemon pasta," which he eats about 1 p.m. before he takes a nap.

So what's in Tony's "favorite lemon pasta?"

"It's very easy," says Eva. "Simmer one cup heavy whipping cream, one cup of beef broth, and let it reduce by a quarter. Then add a half-cup of fresh lemon juice. Boil your pasta of choice and put it in the sauce, letting it soak for 10 minutes to absorb. Et voila!"

Steak is another popular choice among the players and, according to Michael Finley's wife, Rebekah, the veteran All-Star is a real steak-and-potatoes guy on game day. "He always has a steak, a sweet potato and salad," she says.

Last, but never least, Bruce Bowen isn't just the most feared defender in the NBA; he's also pretty handy in the kitchen. Bruce prepares his own pre-game meal, and during a recent phone interview, he says it's always "steak, pasta, and some type of bean — red beans, black beans or green beans."

On the road, Bruce tries to find another combination of carbohydrates and protein, like a hamburger and fries, pasta with chicken or beef, or thin-crust pizza.

Meanwhile, eating five hours before game time gives him the most energy, Bruce says.

Sounds like a winning recipe to me.

CosmicCowboy
06-04-2007, 02:25 PM
[quote]Last, but never least, Bruce Bowen isn't just the most feared defender in the NBA; he's also pretty handy in the kitchen. Bruce prepares his own pre-game meal, and during a recent phone interview, he says it's always "steak, pasta, and some type of bean — red beans, black beans or green beans."

I knew Bruce had a secret weapon. as a last ditch effort he can always resort to a gas attack...:lol

BlackFlagg
06-04-2007, 02:27 PM
I knew Bruce had a secret weapon. as a last ditch effort he can always resort to a gas attack...:lol

Kinda lends new meaning to the term "dirty player," doesn't it? :lol :lol :lol

ploto
06-04-2007, 02:31 PM
Sometimes cooked at home, sometimes take-out
At least Amy was honest.

Shelly
06-04-2007, 02:32 PM
That article was written by Sean Elliott's wife

ATRAIN
06-04-2007, 02:32 PM
hahahha damn bruce I knew I smelled something during game 5 of the WCF.

Davidicus
06-04-2007, 02:33 PM
im hungry

nkdlunch
06-04-2007, 02:34 PM
does Bowen leave the kitchen dirty?

SAtown
06-04-2007, 02:34 PM
im hungry

Rydia
06-04-2007, 02:50 PM
[quote]Last, but never least, Bruce Bowen isn't just the most feared defender in the NBA; he's also pretty handy in the kitchen. Bruce prepares his own pre-game meal, and during a recent phone interview, he says it's always "steak, pasta, and some type of bean — red beans, black beans or green beans."

Boy!
Weren't we all thinking this!!!

Go Brucey!! Gives a whole new name to 'dirty'!!! :hungry: :hungry:

jag
06-04-2007, 03:27 PM
when bruce is at home he eats healthy, when he's on the road i dont think he gives a fuck. Hamburger and fries, Pizza? haha

florige
06-04-2007, 03:33 PM
when bruce is at home he eats healthy, when he's on the road i dont think he gives a fuck. Hamburger and fries, Pizza? haha

:lol Thats what I was thinking too! Thin Crust Pizza. Everybody else was at least semi-healthy until it got to Bruce,. :lol

BigBeezie
06-04-2007, 03:36 PM
Bruce is SO skinny, he could probably eat a vat of lard, followed up by cotton candy and a twinkie and not give a hot shit.

Whatever works for you, I guess.

florige
06-04-2007, 03:38 PM
Bruce is SO skinny, he could probably eat a vat of lard, followed up by cotton candy and a twinkie and not give a hot shit.

Whatever works for you, I guess.

I hear that!!! I know the Gil Arenas eats a whole apple pie before games.

weebo
06-04-2007, 03:53 PM
those peanut butter sandwiches aint doing shit for barry

nkdlunch
06-04-2007, 03:55 PM
Beno eats anything cooked in a brick oven

TampaDude
06-04-2007, 03:59 PM
Last, but never least, Bruce Bowen isn't just the most feared defender in the NBA; he's also pretty handy in the kitchen. Bruce prepares his own pre-game meal, and during a recent phone interview, he says it's always "steak, pasta, and some type of bean — red beans, black beans or green beans."

That's our secret weapon...Bruce will guard LeBron, and when LeBron has the ball, Bruce will just unleash an SBD, and LeBron's eyes will get all watery and he won't be able to see and have to give up the ball. :lol

nkdlunch
06-04-2007, 04:01 PM
Manu eats flopjacks

MoSpur
06-04-2007, 04:27 PM
Beno eats anything cooked in a brick oven

Or apple turnovers.

polandprzem
06-04-2007, 05:06 PM
I thought that Bruce eat more healthy food ...

okay back to the dirty beans

TMTTRIO
06-04-2007, 09:11 PM
I wonder what Manu eats to have all of that crazy energy :lol

E20
06-04-2007, 09:17 PM
I thought the Spurs would have a team chef. I read a similar article in the local newspaper and the Warriors have a chef that cater there needs.