PDA

View Full Version : Well....

Duff McCartney
12-01-2004, 11:32 PM
Looks like my motivation to apply to OU is gone...

http://news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&u=/ap/20041201/ap_on_re_us/campus_drinking

U. of Okla. Bans Alcohol in Frats, Dorms

Wed Dec 1, 6:27 PM ET U.S. National - AP

By JULIE E. BISBEE, Associated Press Writer

NORMAN, Okla. - Drinking will be banned at University of Oklahoma fraternities and residence halls under new policies announced Wednesday, two months after a 19-year-old student died of alcohol poisoning.

University of Oklahoma President David Boren said the rules will go into effect Jan. 18 at the start of the new semester. Three violations will end in a student's suspension for one semester.

The university also will set up a hot line for students to report violations, and will expand alcohol education programs.

Drinking is already prohibited at sororities.

Boren will present the policies to the Board of Regents Monday for approval. Regents have been involved in creating the plan and support it.

"These policies send a strong signal that alcohol abuse will not be tolerated at the University of Oklahoma," Boren said.

Student Blake Hammontree died Sept. 30 after a Sigma Chi fraternity party. He had a blood-alcohol content more than five times the legal limit. The frat has since been shut down.

Police are still investigating the death and several fraternity members have been subpoenaed to testify before a grand jury. One student, a sophomore, has been charged with furnishing alcohol to another minor at the party.

"The investigation continues and other charges are anticipated," said Cleveland County District Attorney Tim Kuykendall.

Similar recent incidents have been reported at campuses, including Colorado State, where student Samantha Spady had consumed as many as 40 drinks when she was found dead at a fraternity house in September.

Also this fall, Lynn Gordon Bailey Jr. died after he was taken to the mountains near the University of Colorado with fellow Chi Psi fraternity pledges and told not to leave until several bottles of whiskey were finished. Bradley Kemp of the University of Arkansas died after downing a dozen beers and, friends said, possibly other drugs.

Jimcs50
12-01-2004, 11:38 PM
I am NOT paying your tuition at OU!!!

Duff McCartney
12-01-2004, 11:40 PM
I am NOT paying your tuition at OU!!!

Don't worry..I wouldn't ask you to.

Johnny_Blaze_47
12-01-2004, 11:43 PM
Kind of shutting the barn door after the animals are gone, isn't it, OU?

No matter to me, though (I am considering Grad School there).

Spurminator
12-01-2004, 11:51 PM
Meaningless gesture. As it probably should be. Actually enforcing this would be detrimental to the school.

tsb2000
12-02-2004, 12:17 AM
Like a silly rule ever stopped anyone from getting hammered in the dorms... I went to the University of Utah after all, and I partied like a rock star every day I was there! :)

exstatic
12-02-2004, 12:20 AM
The kids are going to drink. They'll just be driving back and forth now. WTG, OU. You hit the fly with a sledgehammer. Did anyone die in the dorms? NO. They should have just outlawed it at the frat houses, since that was where the kid died. Frats are notorious for those kinds of drinking initiations.

Drachen
12-02-2004, 02:05 AM
Like a silly rule ever stopped anyone from getting hammered in the dorms... I went to the University of Utah after all, and I partied like a rock star every day I was there! :)

Like a MORMON rock star...

"Hey man pass the milk"
"No man you are TOO calciumed up"

maxpower
12-02-2004, 07:44 AM
Great rule ...now all they have to do is move the entire university away from the drag which is located right across the street. But I'm sure the students won't be able to connect those dots.

Jimcs50
12-02-2004, 09:24 AM
I like the rule, personally.

AlamoSpursFan
12-02-2004, 10:06 AM
How many 3.2 beers does an OU student have to consume to drink himself to death?

:lol

Johnny_Blaze_47
12-02-2004, 10:11 AM
How many 3.2 beers does an OU student have to consume to drink himself to death?

:lol

Based on the average weight of a student being 150 pounds, the Earth's rotation, the amount of cleavage in his face and whether ASF had a good weekend hunting...

I'd say three.

But then, you have to figure out the intelligence of said Sooner. Are they in-state (ungodly low IQ's) or out-of-state (meh, slightly higher)? That's called a variable.

AlamoSpursFan
12-02-2004, 10:12 AM
Damn, JB...you are the first person to actually use the words "intelligence" and "Sooner" in the same sentence.

:lmao

Johnny_Blaze_47
12-02-2004, 10:14 AM
Damn, JB...you are the first person to actually use the words "intelligence" and "Sooner" in the same sentence.

:lmao

I know - that should relieve me of any tuition and fees when I apply for Grad School.

AlamoSpursFan
12-02-2004, 10:16 AM
It's OU we're talking about here...when you come to the point in your registration where they ask for the money, just point and say "LOOK OVER THERE!" and then run away.

:rollin

MannyIsGod
12-02-2004, 11:08 AM
It's a good rule. I'm not too sure keggers are appropriate on school property.

sbsquared
12-02-2004, 12:52 PM
I would think this rule has more to do with limiting the University's liability than with actual enforcement. When the rule goes into effect, if there's an incident, the school can deny any liability because the student broke the rules.

But, maybe, it will limit the amount of drinking, especially among underage students.