PDA

View Full Version : Wilbon on Cleveland

boutons_
06-06-2007, 03:36 AM
Cleveland's Run Takes On an Erie Significance
By Michael Wilbon
Wednesday, June 6, 2007; E01

They don't know exactly what to do or how to act in Cleveland these days. They haven't had much practice with a winner, not that the Cavaliers have won it all yet. In fact, LeBron James and the Cavaliers are just close enough to break Cleveland's heart again -- for only the millionth time since a professional team last won there, which was 1964.

That's why so many took to the streets and blew their horns until the wee hours on Saturday after the Cavaliers finished off the Pistons to reach the NBA Finals.

After every crushing disappointment over the last 20-plus years, whether it was the Browns, the Indians or the Cavaliers, I'd call my uncle, Cecil King, who has lived in Cleveland his entire adult life, and console him after "The Drive" or "The Fumble" or Michael Jordan shooting over Craig Ehlo. This time, it felt good to call him after Cleveland had won something, and even better to hear him, alternately laughing and choked up, say: "It's been a long time since Jim Brown. I'm turning 70 and I was getting worried I wouldn't see us get close to winning anything again. I don't think most of us expected LeBron to break through and carry us this far this year. The place is so high in spirit. It's such a beautiful time to be in Cleveland."

( it's also a beautiful time, more beautiful time, to be someplace else! :lol )

Don't look here for any Cleveland jokes. If any American city is deserving of the lift in civic spirit that only a sporting championship can deliver, it's Cleveland. The dearth of team championships mirrors, as longtime residents know, Cleveland's demise as a city, which began just after the Browns won the 1964 NFL championship.

( a lift in civic spirit is more probable and palpable when the city has nothing else going for it :lol )
"Every kind of sports disappointment you can have in sports, Cleveland has had it," my friend Brian Dunmore, born and raised in Cleveland, told me the other day. "Buzzer-beating losses in the NBA playoffs, one-out-to-go loss in the World Series, the Browns leaving town, Ernie Davis dying of leukemia without ever getting to play a snap, John Elway leading 'The Drive.' . . . Maybe LeBron delivering the Cavaliers is the sports gods finally saying, 'Enough is enough.' "

( one more coming up next in Cleveland's first ever NBA Finals. :lol )

Even worse, the city's teams and the city's incredible misfortunes are inseparable.

Cleveland didn't just shrink during the last 50-plus years, it shriveled. It was the nation's fifth-largest city in 1920 and remained in the top 10 through the 1970 census, but after a decades-long exodus it was the 39th-largest city in America in 2005, down from almost 915,000 residents in 1950 to 452,208. Nearly 180,000 people left in the 1970s alone, and the city reportedly lost 150,000 manufacturing jobs. Now, the median household income is 97th among the top 100 cities. The exodus, the 1968 riots and the city defaulting in 1978 led to a heap of ridicule, to the moniker "Mistake by the Lake." In 1972, as local legend has it, Mayor Ralph Perk's wife declined a dinner with President Richard M. Nixon because it interfered with her bowling night.

When the city was going strong, so were its teams. The Browns, filling a vacancy created by the Rams moving from Cleveland to Los Angeles, joined the NFL in 1950 and easily were the team of the decade. They won the title in their inaugural NFL season, and reached seven of the next eight championship games. They had the league's best and most famous player, Jim Brown. Their coach, Paul Brown, essentially invented the modern pro game and begat Bill Walsh, who reinvented it.

The Indians won the World Series in 1948, and six years later won 111 games and made it back to the Fall Classic. Of course, Willie Mays robbed Vic Wertz with his famous over-the-shoulder catch in that '54 Series, in which the New York Giants swept Cleveland. Maybe that was a bit of foreshadowing. The week before the NFL's "Greatest Game Ever Played" in 1958 between the Giants and Colts, the Giants beat the Browns to advance to the championship game. About a year and a half after the Browns won in 1964, Jim Brown retired, and the Indians fell into serious hard times that would last 30 years, until they came back strong in a new stadium in the 1990s. However, they lost to the Atlanta Braves in the '95 World Series and then in 1997 to the expansion Florida Marlins in the 11th inning of Game 7.

The Cavaliers, who arrived through NBA expansion in 1970, nearly had a shining moment in 1976 when they upset the defending conference champion Washington Bullets, but then lost to the Boston Celtics in the Eastern Conference finals. The next time the Cavaliers appeared on the cusp of something big was 1989. Magic Johnson took a long look at the roster of young players (Mark Price, Ron Harper, Brad Daugherty, Hot Rod Williams, Craig Ehlo, Larry Nance) and pronounced them the "team of the '90s." That was fine, except Michael Jordan hit that series-winning shot over Ehlo in Game 5 of the 1989 East quarterfinals, which propelled Jordan and the Bulls and seemed to destroy the young Cavaliers. They succumbed to the Bulls in the 1992 conference finals, were felled by a massive wave of injuries after that and never get close . . . until now.

"Seeing the Cavaliers lose like that actually hurt me more than the Browns losing to Elway," Uncle Cecil said. "At least I'd seen the Browns win, and there was a tradition there that suggested they could get back."

Then, of course, the Browns left for Baltimore after the 1995 season and won a Super Bowl after the 2000 season for another city, where they were assembled by a Browns Hall of Famer, Ozzie Newsome.

The disappointments are so massive and so numerous, I asked Dunmore, now a retail licensing executive for the PGA Tour, to rank them. "Number one has to be 'The Drive,' " he said. "Nothing else comes close. We had the game, we were playing at home, we were going to the Super Bowl and John Elway is 98 yards away. Number two has to be 'The Fumble,' " when Earnest Byner was stripped of the ball by the Broncos' Jeremiah Castille near the goal line in Denver in the AFC championship game in 1988.

"I would say number three was the Indians' World Series loss to the Marlins in '97. South Florida has three teams that have won championships [Dolphins, Heat and Marlins], none of which even existed when Cleveland won its last championship. I'd put Jordan-over-Ehlo further down because that was more about Chicago's ascension than anything else."

So, even if the Cavaliers lose to the Spurs, it's unlikely to trump so many other Cleveland losses.

( comforting! )

"It's phenomenal to have a kid from Akron, which is a peg below Cleveland, lead a Cleveland team to a championship," Dunmore said. "We've had a lot of terrific players, guys like Leroy Kelly, Ozzie Newsome, Mark Price, Brad Daugherty, Ron Harper. Manny Ramirez was on those Indians teams that reached the World Series. But this is the first time since Jim Brown that people throughout the country are looking at Cleveland and seeing that supernova player. It does incredible things for civic pride. Look at what Michael Jordan did to define Chicago and how that city feels about itself. LeBron James is from us. He's from right down the road. He put us on the map again. We're the center of sports in America, which happens so infrequently. You'll see those aerial views of Cleveland, the shots of the arena and downtown Cleveland, which is coming back. It's been 40 years since Jim Brown retired, 40 years since Cleveland has had 'The Man.' "

Thunder Dan
06-06-2007, 09:04 AM
why this is wrong is becuase unlike all those other years (the drive, the fumble, the shot, losing game 7 in the W.S.) not many fans in Cleveland expect to win this series. It's technically not a let down if you never in your wildest dreams expected your team to make it this far.

The only way we could be let down is one of two ways: we either go up 3-0 and blow it, or it goes to game 7 and the Cavs have a big lead and blow it somehow.

Obstructed_View
06-06-2007, 09:07 AM
So the difference this year is that the Cleveland fans were smart enough to get their celebrations out of the way before they lost. Smart move.

Kiss ma Grits
06-06-2007, 09:08 AM
why this is wrong is becuase unlike all those other years (the drive, the fumble, the shot, losing game 7 in the W.S.) not many fans in Cleveland expect to win this series. It's technically not a let down if you never in your wildest dreams expected your team to make it this far.

The only way we could be let down is one of two ways: we either go up 3-0 and blow it, or it goes to game 7 and the Cavs have a big lead and blow it somehow.

Only smart people understand what you've just said. They don't understand that as a Cavs fan we're just happy to be here and we KNOW we'll be here more often. These dumb writers said we couldn't, wouldn't be here this year, so let them keep writing trash. Who cares? :king We got the King

Trainwreck2100
06-06-2007, 09:10 AM

Yes, but there is always that little voice in the back of their minds that says "maybe we can just do this"

Thunder Dan
06-06-2007, 09:12 AM
I believe the Browns on both of those years were the best team in the NFL record wise, and I think the same can be said for the Cavs the year Jordan beat them. The Indians in 1995 where the best team in baseball and one of the best teams in MLB history (the went 100-44). So THOSE are let downs, this is not. If you talk to any rational Cavs fan they will tell you there are too many holes with this team to win a championship.

Thunder Dan
06-06-2007, 09:17 AM
Yes, but there is always that little voice in the back of their minds that says "maybe we can just do this"

the last times I said that as a sports fan

2007 basketball national championship game
2002 BCS title game

so yea it COULD happen, but I wouldn't call it a let down if we don't win. This city in a million years never thought it would get past the Pistons. And if you told me a couple months ago after losing 2 to the Bobcats and to the Celtics during a must win, that we would be in the finals I would want to punch you in the face. So I'm just happy I get to watch the Cavs for a couple more games, but no I'm not going to kill myself if they lose

Obstructed_View
06-06-2007, 09:23 AM
Glad you guys are prepared to lose.

Why are you in here talking shit, again?

easjer
06-06-2007, 09:27 AM
Because I don't visit other fan boards or SI/ESPN, it's hard to judge. Most of the Cleveland folks that post here are clearly thinking and expecting that the Cavs can win (I personally don't think so, but maybe that's my fandom speaking).

I do think that you should celebrate - it was a big accomplishment to get out of the East over the Pistons with 4 straight wins. And the future does look bright for Cleveland.

I just think the future isn't quite here yet. . .

Thunder Dan
06-06-2007, 09:28 AM
I'm not talking shit, this is the only forum I can get on to at work since all the others are blocked, and it so happens to be a Spurs forum. Plus, I like seeing the other teams point of view anyway. I'm a huge OSU fan, but I post more with Michigan fans seeing as they actually talk football, and OSU fans just talk about how they will beat the shit out of everyone.

ShoogarBear
06-06-2007, 09:32 AM
Only smart people understand what you've just said. They don't understand that as a Cavs fan we're just happy to be here and we KNOW we'll be here more often. These dumb writers said we couldn't, wouldn't be here this year, so let them keep writing trash. Who cares? :king We got the KingThat sounds familiar. Now where have I heard that before? Oh, yeah . . .

Only smart people understand what you've just said. They don't understand that as a Magic fan we're just happy to be here and we KNOW we'll be here more often. These dumb writers said we couldn't, wouldn't be here this year, so let them keep writing trash. Who cares? :king We got Shaq and Penny.
In 2011 LeBron will be a Knick if the Cavs don't get him serious help.

CosmicCowboy
06-06-2007, 09:40 AM
Four years from now when LeBron bolts Cleveland for New York or LA after failing to win a championship because of his supporting staff it is gonna break these guys hearts again.

CosmicCowboy
06-06-2007, 09:48 AM
Damn Shoog...you beat me to it. It's clear that the Knicks are setting up to completely retool in '09 and '10 in preparation for LeBrons arrival. What little extra Cleveland can pay him salary wise will be more than made up and exceeded in endorsement revenue.

Getting smacked by the Spurs this year will be the first step towards LeBrons disillusionment with the Cavs management.

ShoogarBear
06-06-2007, 10:00 AM
Oh, I think there's a reasonable chance he'll stay in Cleveland. But it's going to take a lot of work by the front office. Getting to the Finals ahead of schedule did a lot for LeBron's development but I'm not sure it helped the Cavs'.

No matter what happens against the Spurs, next year they won't be under the radar, everyone in the East will be gunning for them and the expectations will be high. Anything less than a repeat as EC champs will be viewed as a disappointment. And to be honest, I'm not sure that there's any reason to think they will be a superior team over Chicago, Detroit, or maybe even Toronto over the next couple of seasons.

Danny Ferry and Mike Brown better enjoy this now, because they are going to have the heat (little h) on them.

SequSpur
06-06-2007, 10:01 AM
Wilbon can't play ball.

Mr. Body
06-06-2007, 10:02 AM
Wilbon makes my heart's eyes cry tears of sadness for Cleveland.

SAGambler
06-06-2007, 10:18 AM
I'm not sure that there's any reason to think they will be a superior team than Chicago Detroit, or maybe even Toronto over the next couple of seasons.

Yep...All this talk about Cleveland is the New King of the East, is just more hype.

I see at least 4 teams in the East that will give them a run. Especially if Cleveland continues to try to win with one superstar and a bunch of mediocre roll players.

CosmicCowboy
06-06-2007, 10:26 AM
Oh, I think there's a reasonable chance he'll stay in Cleveland. But it's going to take a lot of work by the front office. Getting to the Finals ahead of schedule did a lot for LeBron's development but I'm not sure it helped the Cavs'.

No matter what happens against the Spurs, next year they won't be under the radar, everyone in the East will be gunning for them and the expectations will be high. Anything less than a repeat as EC champs will be viewed as a disappointment. And to be honest, I'm not sure that there's any reason to think they will be a superior team than Chicago Detroit, or maybe even Toronto over the next couple of seasons.

Danny Ferry and Mike Brown better enjoy this now, because they are going to have the heat (little h) on them.

The Cavs problem is they can't dramatically improve their team talent wise without going into lux tax hell, and they have already demonstrated that they aren't gonna do that. They will need to resign Varejao and Pavlovic to larger contracts this summer. They won't really get any significant cap help till the summer of '09 when they lose Donyell Marshall, but Gooden will need to be resigned/replaced then at a higher price than his existing cheap contract.. By that time LeBron will probably have been in Cleveland for 7 years without winning a championship and will be starting to realize that it ain't gonna be happening there. Bye Bye LeBron in '11.

weebo
06-06-2007, 10:43 AM
The Cavs problem is they can't dramatically improve their team talent wise without going into lux tax hell, and they have already demonstrated that they aren't gonna do that. They will need to resign Varejao and Pavlovic to larger contracts this summer. They won't really get any significant cap help till the summer of '09 when they lose Donyell Marshall, but Gooden will need to be resigned/replaced then at a higher price than his existing cheap contract.. By that time LeBron will probably have been in Cleveland for 7 years without winning a championship and will be starting to realize that it ain't gonna be happening there. Bye Bye LeBron in '11.

And you know this how? Who's to say what will happen in 4 or 5 years...I would highly doubt cleveland will let Lebron walk without trying to improve the team...don't forget the Spurs were in a similiar situation with TD not too long ago...and look how it turned out for us. :elephant

Mr. Body
06-06-2007, 10:49 AM
If it hasn't been mentioned, Cleveland has no draft picks this year. No firsts. No seconds.

Zero, zilch, nada, nichts.

ehz33satx
06-06-2007, 10:55 AM

Would you be let down if the Cavs go 0-3 to start off this quest of theirs to win a championship?

Mr. Body
06-06-2007, 10:57 AM
Would you be let down if the Cavs go 0-3 to start off this quest of theirs to win a championship?

It'd just be more grand when they win the next twelve games in a row and proactively get awarded a couple more championships.

CosmicCowboy
06-06-2007, 11:02 AM
And you know this how? Who's to say what will happen in 4 or 5 years...I would highly doubt cleveland will let Lebron walk without trying to improve the team...don't forget the Spurs were in a similiar situation with TD not too long ago...and look how it turned out for us. :elephant

Spurs had the cap room and expiring contracts to work with and were ahead of the "foreign player" curve draft wise...Spurs were also the beneficiary of the "one time waiver clause" to get Finley cheap.

Cleveland should be real good but not quite good enough to win the finals, which means they can't expect significant help from the draft either...

I realize I'm just blowing smoke speculating 5 years out, and mainly made that post to tweak the Cavs trolls.

Thunder Dan
06-06-2007, 11:40 AM
You guys act as if its ridiculous for Clevelanders to root for the Cavs. Actually, I wish everyone would root for their local team. No matter what you say about the Cavs, I'm not going to stop rooting for them, or the Indians or that Browns (who truth be told, I should have stopped awhile ago). It's just as you will never not like the Spurs since you are mostly all from around the area. I mean there are a few idiots who boast about the Cavs being the best thing in the world that ruins it for everyone. But it shouldn't come as a suprise that people in Cleveland will root for the Cavs

PM5K
06-06-2007, 01:58 PM
I guess it would be poetic justice if the team that's had their hear broken so many times by Michael Jordan won a Championship with the next Michael Jordan, too bad it's not gonna happen though...

ShoogarBear
06-06-2007, 02:40 PM
You guys act as if its ridiculous for Clevelanders to root for the Cavs. Actually, I wish everyone would root for their local team. No matter what you say about the Cavs, I'm not going to stop rooting for them, or the Indians or that Browns (who truth be told, I should have stopped awhile ago). It's just as you will never not like the Spurs since you are mostly all from around the area. I mean there are a few idiots who boast about the Cavs being the best thing in the world that ruins it for everyone. But it shouldn't come as a suprise that people in Cleveland will root for the CavsNobody said anything about Clevelanders rooting for the Cavs.

We're just speculating on whether the Cavs' FO will be able to make the moves to make LBJ stay, now that he's going to taste the Finals.

Thunder Dan
06-06-2007, 02:44 PM
Nobody said anything about Clevelanders rooting for the Cavs.

We're just speculating on whether the Cavs' FO will be able to make the moves to make LBJ stay, now that he's going to taste the Finals.

people who think the Knicks have a better shot at Lebron than the Cavs are nuts. I mean have you seen that franchise make one good move over the past 3 years? Lebron wants stability; now things may or may not turn rocky in Cleveland, they might go to the finals for the next 3 years (Lebrons contract is up in 3). But to say he would rather go to the utter turmoil that is the Kicks is laughable. I mean Cleveland is not THAT bad of a town, ecpecially if your from there, like Lebron is

ShoogarBear
06-06-2007, 02:49 PM
It has nothing to do with Cleveland being a bad town. All things being equal, I suspect LeBron would prefer to stay there.

But
a) I doubt Isiah is going to be with the Knicks in three years
b) as CC pointed out, NY is going to have a crapload of cap space then
c) LeBron in NY would instantly fulfill his "global icon" goal, and he'd be well on his way to Biggest Sports Celebrity Ever
d) It's going to take some really strong work by Ferry and Co. to surround LeBron with the kind of cast he's going to want

Thunder Dan
06-06-2007, 03:16 PM
It has nothing to do with Cleveland being a bad town. All things being equal, I suspect LeBron would prefer to stay there.

But
a) I doubt Isiah is going to be with the Knicks in three years
b) as CC pointed out, NY is going to have a crapload of cap space then
c) LeBron in NY would instantly fulfill his "global icon" goal, and he'd be well on his way to Biggest Sports Celebrity Ever
d) It's going to take some really strong work by Ferry and Co. to surround LeBron with the kind of cast he's going to want

right now the Cavs are in the NBA Finals, I wouldn't say that it is hurting their chances of keeping Lebron. If you look at the east, the Cavs should be top 2 with Chicago since Miami is getting old other than Wade and Detroit has fallen apart. It's not to say that the Cavs are without needs, but its reasonable to think they will be back in the Finals sometime and this isnt a one year deal.