PDA

View Full Version : Cavaliers the worst NBA Finals participant in league history

O-Factor
06-06-2007, 03:58 PM
Great Article, I urge all to read.

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=jones/070606&sportCat=nba

By Bomani Jones
ESPN Page 2

Cavs are lucky to be here

Watching the city of Cleveland celebrate the Cavaliers' Eastern Conference championship was beautiful. An entire city seemed to exorcise the lion's share of its demons on a glorious Saturday night.

Well, that's part of it. The other part had to come from the fact that no sane person could have expected that outfit, with LeBron or Superman or anyone else leading the way, to make the NBA Finals. Winning feels great, but it feels better when you don't know how the hell it happened.

AP Photo/Tony Dejak

Once you get past LeBron James, the Cavaliers are an average team at best.
The Cavs aren't bad, but it's hard to say they're good. They will serve as little more than fodder for the Spurs as San Antonio seeks its fourth title in nine years and accompanying dynasty status.

Which begs this question: Are the Cavaliers the worst NBA Finals participant in league history?

Sounds like hyperbole, but it's a legitimate question. Consider the following:

Cleveland's playoff matchups were laughably easy

Winning three consecutive series is never easy, but few draws have been as favorable as Cleveland's. Both of the Cavs' first two postseason opponents, Washington and New Jersey, finished the regular season at .500. That squad of Wizards, short Gilbert Arenas and Caron Butler (both injured), could barely make balloon animals, let alone work magic. The Nets had little more than their big three, one of whom showed up only sporadically. Cleveland didn't truly dominate either series. Even the sweep of the Wizards was uninspiring. Plus, the Cavs didn't begin to shine until Game 5 against the splintered Pistons, who didn't play a single good game in the Eastern Conference finals.

Those wins didn't really prove much.

But you can't fault the Cavs for that. They did have the second-best record in the East, winning 50 games.

But lemme say that one more time.

The Cavs won 50 games … in the East

Not exactly the most impressive feat.

It's almost impossible to quantify a conference's strength in a given year. Who's to say whether low win totals at the top were the result of equally distributed strength or epidemic weakness?

That said, it doesn't take a slide rule to know the East was good and terrible. Only the East in '03, when Detroit led the conference with 50 wins and the champion Nets won 49, could approach the widespread mediocrity in this year's East.

Seriously, was there a single team in the East that would be favored in a seven-game series against any of the top six teams in the West?

So don't let Cleveland's win total, which matches up favorably with some past champions, fool you.

Compare the Cavs to the team with the worst record for an NBA finalist, the '81 Rockets. Houston made the Finals after finishing 40-42 in the regular season, and it's easy to see wins don't indicate as much as we'd like to think.

One look at the Rockets roster -- featuring Hall of Famers Moses Malone and Calvin Murphy, plus Robert Reid and Rudy Tomjanovich -- and you wonder how Houston won only 40 games. A gander at Cleveland's makes you wonder how they got to the Finals.

Even some of the worst teams in Finals history would enjoy tremendous mismatches against the Cavs:

• 1975-76 Phoenix Suns: Paul Westphal, Alvan Adams, and five other players in double figures.
• 1970-71 Baltimore Bullets: featured Earl Monroe, Jack Marin, Gus Johnson, and Wes Unseld.
• 1977-78 Washington Bullets: Two top 50 players (Unseld and Elvin Hayes).
• 1969-70 Los Angeles Lakers: Jerry West, Elgin Baylor, and Wilt Chamberlain.

Best of luck to the Cavs trying to match up with any of those teams.

Cleveland has only two guys who have made All-Star teams. One is LeBron, and …

… the other is Zydrunas Ilgauskas

And that's it.

Ilgauskas was an All-Star in '03 and '05, but his solid yet unspectacular play showed that his place on those squads was a result of default, not domination. Someone had to be the backup center for the center-starved East.

But how 'bout this -- it's unlikely that any member of the Cavs other than LeBron will make another All-Star Game.

The Cavs roster isn't stocked with so-so players with bright futures. A lot of these cats are as good as they'll ever be. Larry Hughes, Ilgauskas, Eric Snow, Donyell Marshall and Damon Jones won't be making leaps. Drew Gooden's scoring is down 3.3 points per game from his career high in 2004-05. And let's not get too carried away about Daniel Gibson yet.

Since the NBA-ABA merger, only five teams have made the Finals without three players who had been or would become All-Stars -- the '86, '94 and '95 Rockets and '02 and '03 Nets. But those teams had a combination of promising talent and/or tested vets. Outside of Bron, Gibson and Eric Snow, Cleveland has neither.

The Mike Brown factor

Remember when Brown made that great adjustment …

And when he made that great call to get LeBron …

Nope, no such thing has happened.

Brown isn't a terrible coach. The Cavs' defense is too good for anyone to really say that. But when they have the ball? Oy.

In two years, Brown still hasn't shown any imagination in how to get LeBron the ball in the half-court set. He's got the best transition player in the game, but the slow-down offense is his method of choice. Combine that with his suspect timeout management, and it's safe to say Brown is not a good coach.

That's crucial because some could argue that the '01 Sixers had talent comparable to these Cavs. The Sixers, however, didn't just get a career year out of MVP Allen Iverson. They got a year for the ages from Larry Brown, who may have done the best coaching job in league history by getting that team to the Finals.

Mike Brown could make no such claim.

Perhaps all of this does little more than provide further proof of the brilliance of James. Maybe there is no greater testament to his greatness than getting this team to the pinnacle of the sport.

At the same time, the Cavs' success says as much about the East as it does about LeBron. And before the series can go back to San Antonio, we'll see just how weak the East was this season.

duncan228
06-06-2007, 04:01 PM
Thanks for posting this.

The more I read the more I believe.

Spurs in 6.

samikeyp
06-06-2007, 04:03 PM
I disagree. The 81 Rockets had a 40-42 record.

MadDog73
06-06-2007, 04:08 PM
I disagree. The 81 Rockets had a 40-42 record.

He addresses that fact:

"One look at the Rockets roster -- featuring Hall of Famers Moses Malone and Calvin Murphy, plus Robert Reid and Rudy Tomjanovich -- and you wonder how Houston won only 40 games. A gander at Cleveland's makes you wonder how they got to the Finals."

SpursWoman
06-06-2007, 04:08 PM
Ouch.

samikeyp
06-06-2007, 04:09 PM
He addresses that fact:

"One look at the Rockets roster -- featuring Hall of Famers Moses Malone and Calvin Murphy, plus Robert Reid and Rudy Tomjanovich -- and you wonder how Houston won only 40 games. A gander at Cleveland's makes you wonder how they got to the Finals

Yes he does....and I still disagree.

bigfish22
06-06-2007, 04:11 PM
I would liken this finals to the winner of the NCAA taking on the winner of the NIT

41times
06-06-2007, 04:12 PM
That Rockets team had a bad record for sure but were talented.

How about the Washington Bullets? I think they won around 42-45 games and they won the Championship that year 78 i think.

JoeTait75
06-06-2007, 04:13 PM
He addresses that fact:

"One look at the Rockets roster -- featuring Hall of Famers Moses Malone and Calvin Murphy, plus Robert Reid and Rudy Tomjanovich -- and you wonder how Houston won only 40 games. A gander at Cleveland's makes you wonder how they got to the Finals."

Murphy and Rudy T. were at the end of the line by 1981. And since when was Robert Reid some kind of immortal? You could say the same thing about the expansion Charlotte Hornets: "That team had Kelly Tripucka and Robert Reid. How the heck did they lose 60 games?"

Judging a team by the number of former All-Stars on its roster is beyond stupid. If that mattered, Isiah's Knicks would be one of the best teams in the league.

samikeyp
06-06-2007, 04:13 PM
And since when was Robert Reid some kind of immortal?

Hey now! St. Mary's retired his number!

:)

spurs_fan_in_exile
06-06-2007, 04:14 PM
The remnants of the '99 Knicks that the Spurs faced weren't much either. Ewing was sidelined, LJ was playing hurt. They had Houston and Spree and after that it was a disaster. How can any team with Chris Dudley as a starter not get mentioned?

Saguaro
06-06-2007, 04:16 PM
Which will make it that much sweeter when they kick the Spurs asses!

timvp
06-06-2007, 04:18 PM
Cavaliers the worst NBA Finals participant in league history

So then if the Cavs beat the Spurs, what does that make the Spurs?

ClingingMars
06-06-2007, 04:22 PM
I would liken this finals to the winner of the NCAA taking on the winner of the NIT

I've always thought that the NCAA tournament should be postponed to the end of the NIT tournament, and that the NIT winner should get an appropriate seed in the tourny.

-Mars

florige
06-06-2007, 04:22 PM
The remnants of the '99 Knicks that the Spurs faced weren't much either. Ewing was sidelined, LJ was playing hurt. They had Houston and Spree and after that it was a disaster. How can any team with Chris Dudley as a starter not get mentioned?

I'm guessing maybe because it was a shortned season or something? But you are right, I forgot about those guys.

samikeyp
06-06-2007, 04:23 PM

the Mavs :depressed

ClingingMars
06-06-2007, 04:24 PM

You really don't get it, do you?

-Mars

fuckespn
06-06-2007, 04:24 PM

Don't forget Camby went nuts those playoffs and was killing everyone except us

florige
06-06-2007, 04:25 PM

I'm guessing it's how well or how bad we played. I guess if we played like pure crap they would consider us one of the biggest chokers of all time. I guess if the Cavs played outrageous against us, but we still played good they would just be considered the team that took down a would be dynasty well on its way. imo

SilverPlayer
06-06-2007, 04:52 PM
It's sort of contingent on how good James gets and how fast he can get there. The kid is probably going to be the best individual wing position player since Jordan. But he sure as hell ain't there yet. And I don't think he's gonna put it all together against us in the finals.

But it sure will be a trial by fire for him, and some individuals absolutely thrive in that environment. And I know that getting here this first time will give him a taste of something that players like McGrady and Nash can only dream about. So he can turn this experience into desire for the furture, but that's about all he can probably take from this series.

/spurs in 6.
//God will this wait ever freaking end. It's game time.

easjer
06-06-2007, 04:56 PM
That article was harsh.

JonVito
06-06-2007, 04:58 PM
I'm guessing it's how well or how bad we played. I guess if we played like pure crap they would consider us one of the biggest chokers of all time. I guess if the Cavs played outrageous against us, but we still played good they would just be considered the team that took down a would be dynasty well on its way. imo

no trust me

the spurs could play their best game, and if the Cavs won, they would say the Spurs just played like shit

weve heard it all playoffs

every game we have played in the playoffs, the other team played like shit everytime we won, nothing the Cavs did, they just played like shit

the Cavs had nothing to do with beating the Pistons in virtually 6 straight games, the Pistons just played like shit

the Cavs had nothing to do with locking down the "Big 3"...the "Big 3" just played like shit

and the Cavs swept a undermanned Wizards team...didnt lose a game...but still it was unimpressive

i cant believe you can sweep a team and have that used against you, i dont care if they were undermanned, sure it doesnt mean anything, the Cavs shouldnt gloat about it, but how can you use it against them...THEY DID WHAT THEY WERE SUPPOSED TO DO!

i love it though...just keep adding the fuel to our players fire

THE ONLY REASON THE SPURS AND CAVS ARE IN THE FINALS IS NOT BECAUSE OF INDIVIDUAL STARS, ITS BECAUSE THEY BOTH PLAY THE BEST TEAM BALL IN THE LEAGUE....WE PUT A TEAM FULL OF STARS ON OUR U.S. TEAM AND HOW DID THEY DO?? LOST TO LESSER OPPONENTS WHO VALUED TEAM BALL

THIS ARTICLE, OBVIOUSLY FAILS TO REALIZE THAT...

ShoogarBear
06-06-2007, 05:01 PM
It's crap like this which can come back to bite the Spurs.

They were saying the same thing about the 2003 Nets, and they managed to make the Spurs sweat.

Mr. Body
06-06-2007, 05:04 PM
They were saying the same thing about the 2003 Nets, and they managed to make the Spurs sweat.

I never really felt that series was in doubt.

ShoogarBear
06-06-2007, 05:07 PM
I never really felt that series was in doubt.The Spurs never trailed in games, but it was tied 1-1 and 2-2, and the Nets were ahead by 9 with nine minutes to go in game 6. You must have had some kind of crystal ball.

polandprzem
06-06-2007, 05:14 PM
The Spurs never trailed in games, but it was tied 1-1 and 2-2, and the Nets were ahead by 9 with nine minutes to go in game 6. You must have had some kind of crystal ball.

Nope.

The spurs were a better team and were the favorites. Tim played awesomly that year and I think no one thought about NJ to win those Finals. But all in all a combo of Kidd-Jefferson-Martin was experienced and ready.

Spurs took it mainly cause Tim was a basketball quarterback. Best Tim Finals

Also the Knicks were not suppose to make any trouble.

SpursWoman
06-06-2007, 05:15 PM

:lol

SpursWoman
06-06-2007, 05:18 PM
and the Cavs swept a undermanned Wizards team...didnt lose a game...but still it was unimpressive

Right. And the Spurs could beat a crippled geriactric team and it wouldn't be because they should, it would be because they were lucky, they played dirty, and the refs handed it to them.

Welcome to our world. :lol

Johnny RIngo
06-06-2007, 05:18 PM
THE ONLY REASON THE SPURS AND CAVS ARE IN THE FINALS IS NOT BECAUSE OF INDIVIDUAL STARS, ITS BECAUSE THEY BOTH PLAY THE BEST TEAM BALL IN THE LEAGUE....WE PUT A TEAM FULL OF STARS ON OUR U.S. TEAM AND HOW DID THEY DO?? LOST TO LESSER OPPONENTS WHO VALUED TEAM BALL

Spurs and Cavs were ranked 2nd and 3rd among the league in defensive EFG%. I've said it before and I'll say it again: Defense win championships. That's why the Spurs and Cavs are in the Finals.

Some people are really underestimating how good a defensive team the Cavs are.

TampaDude
06-06-2007, 05:19 PM
Wow...that was a bitchslap... :dizzy

TampaDude
06-06-2007, 05:19 PM

:lol

UV Ray
06-06-2007, 05:39 PM

It's a Lose/Lose

Spurs Beat Worst Team in Championship Playoff History!

Worst Team in Championship Playoff History Beats Spurs!

O-Factor
06-06-2007, 05:56 PM
no trust me

The article recognized the truth!!!

JonVito
06-06-2007, 06:37 PM
The article recognized the truth!!!

i hope the entire spurs team thinks its the TRUTH!!! too

Mark Price
06-06-2007, 07:23 PM
That article is complete trash.

Basketball's season and playoffs are too long for any team to be "lucky" to get in to the Finals.

The Cavs are a great defensive team. And it is a mistake for anyone to believe that the team is all LeBron. They wouldn't be in the Finals if that was true.

The Spurs may be the better team on paper, but it's dangerous for many Spurs fans to take anything for granted or think they've got this thing wrapped up.

Also, I would guard against reading too much into last weekend's celebration. We haven't clinched a championship series at home in a long time. When the Indians won pennants in '95 and '97, they did so on the road. Neither the team nor the fans are "just happy to be here."

Here's to both teams and both cities.

http://i133.photobucket.com/albums/q68/don160/cleveland.jpg

http://i133.photobucket.com/albums/q68/don160/SA.gif

michaelwcho
06-06-2007, 07:37 PM
What's not lucky about drawing a Wizards team missing its two best players? The Spurs were playing a team that had Iverson and Carmelo on it.

What's not lucky about drawing a Nets team on its last legs? Shoot, Kidd almost made a series of it himself! At that time, we were playing a team with MVP Nash, Amare Stoudemire, Marion, Bell, and 6th man of the year Barbosa.

As far as Jazz or Pistons..? The Jazz looked like a better team to me. But you're right, no one can say whether the Pistons played poorly or were made to do so. There's only one way to find out and it starts tomorrow!

Let's get it on!

wildbill2u
06-06-2007, 07:47 PM
Damn, if we win this thing, people are gonna say we were just lucky because the Mavs and the Suns were really better teams.

koopa
06-06-2007, 07:53 PM
i hope the entire spurs team thinks its the TRUTH!!! too

i'm sure this veteran heavy spurs team is wise enough not to read this junk anymore..........

Mark Price
06-06-2007, 07:55 PM
What's not lucky about drawing a Wizards team missing its two best players? The Spurs were playing a team that had Iverson and Carmelo on it.

What's not lucky about drawing a Nets team on its last legs? Shoot, Kidd almost made a series of it himself! At that time, we were playing a team with MVP Nash, Amare Stoudemire, Marion, Bell, and 6th man of the year Barbosa.

As far as Jazz or Pistons..? The Jazz looked like a better team to me. But you're right, no one can say whether the Pistons played poorly or were made to do so. There's only one way to find out and it starts tomorrow!

Let's get it on!

Well what did you want them to do...lose on purpose?

I agree...let the games begin..enough with the B.S.

Budkin
06-06-2007, 08:00 PM

Delusional forum

Spurs Dynasty 21
06-06-2007, 08:50 PM
Spurs might be too over confident going into the series

Marcus Bryant
06-06-2007, 08:54 PM
Brown isn't a terrible coach. The Cavs' defense is too good for anyone to really say that. But when they have the ball? Oy.

In two years, Brown still hasn't shown any imagination in how to get LeBron the ball in the half-court set. He's got the best transition player in the game, but the slow-down offense is his method of choice. Combine that with his suspect timeout management, and it's safe to say Brown is not a good coach.

That's crucial because some could argue that the '01 Sixers had talent comparable to these Cavs. The Sixers, however, didn't just get a career year out of MVP Allen Iverson. They got a year for the ages from Larry Brown, who may have done the best coaching job in league history by getting that team to the Finals.

Mike Brown could make no such claim.

Perhaps all of this does little more than provide further proof of the brilliance of James. Maybe there is no greater testament to his greatness than getting this team to the pinnacle of the sport.

At the same time, the Cavs' success says as much about the East as it does about LeBron. And before the series can go back to San Antonio, we'll see just how weak the East was this season.

Yet supposedly the Spurs are to be overwhelmed by that great Cleveland offense. Lest we forget the Spurs have the 2nd best shooting team in the L and the best defense the Cavs will have faced in this playoffs. Spurs in 5 due to the inevitable 50 trips to the line game for LeBron in Game 3.

jag
06-06-2007, 09:17 PM
Ouch.

ditto, imagine if something of this nature was printed about the spurs...damn

Darkwaters
06-06-2007, 09:18 PM

Par for the course as far as Dirk Nowitzki is concerned.

jag
06-06-2007, 09:20 PM
It's a Lose/Lose

i somewhat agree, but if you came to SA after the finals and we won...i dont think anyone would be thinking of that.

Spurs fans shouldnt read to deep into this. We hold everything negative the media says with a grain of salt, we should do the same with this.

dbreiden83080
06-06-2007, 09:46 PM
I think the 02 Nets were the worst. They were talented but they just seemed happy to be there and content with letting the Lakers kick their ass. The 03 team was ready to play and played a good finals. We'll see if the Cavs are ready to play and win this title. I know Lebron will bring it but will his mates.

CubanMustGo
06-06-2007, 09:52 PM
Who the fuck is Bomani Jones?

freedom&justice
06-06-2007, 10:13 PM
they were lucky to not meet the bulls. damn that team was tough.

Johnny RIngo
06-06-2007, 10:15 PM
The Cavs are a very good defensive team. Their offense, outside of Lebron, ain't too hot though. Lebron's going to have pull out a few 40 pt games to keep his team alive against the Spurs.

Shred
06-06-2007, 10:16 PM
This can't be true. I just read here on this website the Cavs are the 2nd best team in the league!

gtownspur
06-06-2007, 10:19 PM

Left Behind?

"Our God is an Awesome God he reigns.."

ClingingMars
06-06-2007, 10:20 PM
Left Behind?

"Our God is an Awesome God he reigns.."

http://pianist3.ytmnd.com/

-Mars

Ed Helicopter Jones
06-06-2007, 10:50 PM
One look at the Rockets roster -- featuring Hall of Famers Moses Malone and Calvin Murphy, plus Robert Reid and Rudy Tomjanovich -- and you wonder how Houston won only 40 games. A gander at Cleveland's makes you wonder how they got to the Finals.

Robert Reid was decent, but I'd say he'd fit on a 40 win team. He lived in my neighborhood when I was a kid though, so I've got to give him props for choosing cool neighbors. :tu

ShoogarBear
06-06-2007, 10:51 PM
Chopper is from Schertz?

Explains a lot.

Ed Helicopter Jones
06-06-2007, 10:59 PM
Chopper is from Schertz?

Explains a lot.

Just up the road in the mighty City Universal my friend.

Actually I was a military kid so my SA days were limited.

Marcus Bryant
06-06-2007, 11:02 PM
Schertz. Selma's bastard child.

Ed Helicopter Jones
06-06-2007, 11:04 PM
We lived down the street from Mr. Reid after he hit the big time and moved into the ultra-exclusive neighborhood of Coronado Village. :smokin

Marcus Bryant
06-06-2007, 11:06 PM
Ah, the memories.

ShoogarBear
06-06-2007, 11:08 PM
U.C. was where the Schertz kids went when they wanted to do it up in style.

judaspriestess
06-07-2007, 12:05 AM

Very true, very true.

Go Spurs Go :ihit

Sasha
06-07-2007, 12:12 AM
Spurs might be too over confident going into the series

The fans maybe. Not the players. I don't think we need to worry about them.

TakeThat
06-07-2007, 06:36 AM
That is one opinion and you all jump on the bandwagon. Are the Pistons better??? If so, why are they not playing you tonight. These articles crack me up because people actually buy into them.

Avitus1
06-07-2007, 07:24 AM
NO! NO! The Cavs are the best team ever in the finals! If not then why do I see LeBron everywhere? EVERYWHERE?

VinnyTestesVerde
06-07-2007, 08:36 AM
It's a Lose/Lose

Win/Win for Cavs:

"OMG we're only the Cavs, and we beat the Spurs!!!"

"OMG we lost to the Spurs...we're only the Cavs, I mean omg give us a break..."

VinnyTestesVerde
06-07-2007, 08:45 AM

N/A to the Cavs. No and NO.

1) Cavs Finals appearance = 99.99999999999999999% LeBron. Why do you think people call them the Cleveland LeBrons? The team is LeBron, plus 4 other warm bodies to get rebounds or take uncontested shots.
2) Best team ball in the league??? Maybe in the East, but better than Dallas, Phoenix did? Please...

BreezeHillBill
06-07-2007, 11:48 AM
Keep reading all this aggressive bravado from Cavs fans. But what else are they expected to say? We suck and we know it?

TakeThat
06-07-2007, 05:21 PM
I just think you're all a bunch of lameass, arrogant, know-it-alls who really don't have a fucking clue.

Get your head out of your ass and see the light!

Obstructed_View
06-07-2007, 05:24 PM
I just think you're all a bunch of lameass, arrogant, know-it-alls who really don't have a fucking clue.

Get your head out of your ass and see the light!
Awwww. Is it sad because it can't gets no wespect? Pobrecito.

Referee
06-07-2007, 05:55 PM
The won and thats all that counts... They are a worthy opponent...! :depressed

http://img237.imageshack.us/img237/2908/sports01yy7.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

StrangeCheez
06-07-2007, 06:41 PM
This can't be true. I just read here on this website the Cavs are the 2nd best team in the league!
Well, there are only two teams left so they are the 2nd best team.