PDA

View Full Version : Austin Toros Name Quin Snyder Head Coach

ChumpDumper
06-06-2007, 04:13 PM
AUSTIN, Texas, June 6 – Quin Snyder, a prominent player and coach at the college level and a former NBA assistant with the Los Angeles Clippers, was named head coach of the Austin Toros today, replacing the late Dennis Johnson.

“I’m excited to be back in the game,” Snyder said. “This is a great situation and a new challenge.”

“I have missed the chance to compete the past years. I look forward to getting down to work.”

“We are thrilled to announce Quin as the Toros new Head Coach and welcome him to the great city of Austin,” said Toros president Mike Berry. “His passion for teaching and developing young players will be a wonderful fit with our NBA affiliates.”

“Coach Snyder will also be intimately involved with our community outreach and marketing initiatives throughout the summer as we develop our roster with the Spurs and our other affiliates.”

Snyder, 40, helped lead the Blue Devils to the Final Four in 1986, 1988 and 1989. He later served as an assistant at Duke for Coach Mike Krzyzewski before becoming the head coach at the University of Missouri from 1999 through 2006. Snyder coached the Tigers to four consecutive NCAA tournament berths during his tenure. His record at Missouri was 127-91.

Snyder remains close to Krzyzewski, who said: “I loved working with Quin as a player and as a coach. He had a passion to play and has a passion to teach. His work ethic, spirit, intelligence, charisma and leadership ability make him truly unique. I would want Quin on any team that I coach. I love him and wish him success in this exciting opportunity.”

The Toros tip-off their third season at the Austin Convention Center in November. For Toros season and group ticket information call the Toros office at (512) 236-8333 or visit austintoros.com.

http://www.nba.com/dleague/austin/snyder_070606.html

Met Snyder today at the press conference. Dude's pretty young to have that much experience. Apparently has a JD and an MBA too. Probably a safe bet he won't have the same problems he had at Mizzou.

RC Buford was in attendance; a nice gesture considering everything going on with the Spurs right now and further confirmation that the Toros will remain the Spurs' D-League affiliate.

Spoke with Cheyne Gadson briefly. He says he has summer league invites from the Lakers and Suns.

samikeyp
06-06-2007, 04:14 PM
Ugh.

Mr.Bottomtooth
06-06-2007, 04:25 PM
He better give Mahinmi at least 25mpg when he goes over there.

ChumpDumper
06-06-2007, 04:26 PM
With the league expansion, in don't think that will be a problem.

samikeyp
06-06-2007, 04:27 PM
Knowing Snyder...he will try and turn Ian into a PG.

timvp
06-06-2007, 04:31 PM
:lmao

Quin Snyder? He might be the worst coach I've ever seen. He was clueless at Mizzou. Hopefully for his sake he watched some basketball since he got fired and picked up some pointers.

It doesn't really make sense because no NBA team would ever hire Snyder to be their coach. Or even as an assistant coach. The job should have gone to an up and coming coach with potential like Mario Elie or Mark Bryant. Hell, I've heard that even Rod Strickland and Will Perdue want to get into coaching :)

ChumpDumper
06-06-2007, 04:39 PM
Assistant in the NBA is a higher rung than head coach in the D-League, so I don't see how Elie or Bryant would need or want that job. DJ himself was starting over to try to get back into the NBA.

Mr. Body
06-06-2007, 04:40 PM
Honest question: has there been much of a coaching tree out of Coach K?

ChumpDumper
06-06-2007, 04:51 PM
You guys know more about college ball than I do.

Personally I thought Dale Osbourne should have been given a shot at coaching a full season sans tragedy. Looks like he's doing another fine job as head coach in Dodge City right now.

timvp
06-06-2007, 05:04 PM
Assistant in the NBA is a higher rung than head coach in the D-League, so I don't see how Elie or Bryant would need or want that job. DJ himself was starting over to try to get back into the NBA.

Last I saw, Elie was the Crazy Lou/Big Kev of the Houston Rockets.

Snyder will eventually leave for a small college and will try to work his way up back to a decent program. I can't imagine he really thinks he has an NBA future. So I don't get why Snyder or the Toros think this is a good match.

On a lighter note, does he still have the Quin Snyder hairdo?

NoMoneyDown
06-06-2007, 05:09 PM
Shouldn't this be in another forum???

ChumpDumper
06-06-2007, 05:14 PM
Oh yeah, why did Elie leave again?

Who knows what Snyder thinks about his future? He is still young and this would probably be the only avenue for getting back into the NBA coaching ranks. I don't know who else was under consideration. My personal favorite would have been Kent Davison, but that's just for the pure entertainment factor of watching and listening to him have an aneurysm on the sidelines during every game.

The hair is still there.

ChumpDumper
06-06-2007, 05:14 PM
Shouldn't this be in another forum???Spurs' affiliate.

Buford sighting.

No.

ShoogarBear
06-06-2007, 05:15 PM
Honest question: has there been much of a coaching tree out of Coach K?Tommy Amaker started hot at Seton Hall, then flamed out at Michigan.

Johnny Dawkins is supposed to be K's heir apparent at Dook, but I don't know what he's done other than be an assistant.

I think Wojo is also an assistant at Dook.

Did Bobby Hurley go into coaching?