PDA

View Full Version : how bad will it get if the cavs win?

td4mvp3
06-06-2007, 05:22 PM
does espn start a new channel called espn-classic-lebron? will the spurs' accomplishment get washed out and overlooked as boring luck?

TampaDude
06-06-2007, 05:32 PM
Except for one thing...

NOT.

GONNA.

HAPPEN.

td4mvp3
06-06-2007, 05:50 PM
Except for one thing...

NOT.

GONNA.

HAPPEN.
i haven't found any evidence that would point to it, so let's hope so. and just because i feel like sharing, in all the other upsets this year, last year and with the pistons over the lakers, the underdog team was either a better defender or scorer than the favored team during the reg season. none of that applies to the cavs versus the spurs. the spurs beat the cavs on just about every statistical basis but rebounding.

Spurminator
06-06-2007, 05:54 PM
You know, from an objective standpoint, the positive media for LeBron would actually be a refreshing change from the unfortunate and growing trend in Sports Media towards dumping on the losers more than celebrating the winners.

Budkin
06-06-2007, 05:56 PM
Only way they win is if we lose one of the big three... and I'm not even sure we'd lose then...

Kori Ellis
06-06-2007, 05:56 PM
How hard is it for people to capitalize sentences and proper nouns?

These threads are difficult to read - please make the shift key your friend.

This isn't just to the thread starter - it's to this new age group of posters who think it's cool not to capitalize or punctuate. I don't care about typos or grammar - but damn, just capitalize.

PM5K
06-06-2007, 06:04 PM

This isn't just to the thread starter - it's to this new age group of posters who think it's cool not to capitalize or punctuate. I don't care about typos or grammar - but damn, just capitalize.

Eye Likez To Carputer Lies !

ClingingMars
06-06-2007, 06:05 PM

I consider it a sign of minimal intelligence on the internet - though I do tend to break this if I'm aiming to be sarcastic.

-Mars

bdictjames
06-06-2007, 06:10 PM
Wait for Game 1 fellaz.

td4mvp3
06-06-2007, 06:10 PM

wow. that came out of nowhere. granted, i'm not doing the capitalization thing but, you know, it's a message board. how much is capitals worth in a system that allows lol, imo, lmfao and gtg? plus, everyone whose replied has done some capitalizing. the punctuation can get out of hand but i hadn't noticed it being a problem.

cherylsteele
06-06-2007, 06:14 PM

wHAT, yOU dON'T lIKE mY tYPING?:D

ChumpDumper
06-06-2007, 06:15 PM
If the Cavs win, it'll be great for the league, but even better when he signs with Brooklyn.

td4mvp3
06-06-2007, 06:15 PM
I consider it a sign of minimal intelligence on the internet - though I do tend to break this if I'm aiming to be sarcastic.

-Mars
please, let's not be elitist on a message board. there's no lack of intelligence implied by anything grammatically written here because it's not a term paper, resume, or novel. it's a place people come to relax and shoot the breezee, like a bar or something. we hardly require exactting grammatical adherence there, why start virttually? not to mention that the immediacy of the internet makes any confusion that might come from lower case and lax punctuation easily cured by asking "what did you say?"

JoeTait75
06-06-2007, 06:25 PM
You know, from an objective standpoint, the positive media for LeBron would actually be a refreshing change from the unfortunate and growing trend in Sports Media towards dumping on the losers more than celebrating the winners.

With respect, they'd dump on you guys plenty if we were to win this series. All they talked about after the New Jersey and Detroit series (other than LBJ) was how poorly those teams played. No credit at all to our team for taking those teams out of what they wanted to do.

You guys aren't going to lose to us anyway, so it's in all likelihood a moot point.

Summers
06-06-2007, 06:43 PM
does espn start a new channel called espn-classic-lebron? will the spurs' accomplishment get washed out and overlooked as boring luck?

I think they might actually make LeBron king.

Summers
06-06-2007, 06:44 PM
With respect, they'd dump on you guys plenty if we were to win this series. All they talked about after the New Jersey and Detroit series (other than LBJ) was how poorly those teams played. No credit at all to our team for taking those teams out of what they wanted to do.

You guys aren't going to lose to us anyway, so it's in all likelihood a moot point.

And you! You should stick around and raise the level of smack that's being talked around here.

foodie2
06-06-2007, 06:50 PM

THANK you. And while we're at it, let's try to spell a little better too. How hard is it? Also, "alot" is not a word. Repeat it, memorize it, make it your own.

ClingingMars
06-06-2007, 06:59 PM
please, let's not be elitist on a message board. there's no lack of intelligence implied by anything grammatically written here because it's not a term paper, resume, or novel. it's a place people come to relax and shoot the breezee, like a bar or something. we hardly require exactting grammatical adherence there, why start virttually? not to mention that the immediacy of the internet makes any confusion that might come from lower case and lax punctuation easily cured by asking "what did you say?"

Basic Grammar shows intelligence, although I will concede that capitalization isn't as important.

-Maras

ATXSPUR
06-06-2007, 07:25 PM

lol if you think this is bad you should see the grammar police at orangebloods.com.

td4mvp3
06-06-2007, 08:15 PM
Basic Grammar shows intelligence, although I will concede that capitalization isn't as important.

-Maras
basic grammar shows an education, not intelligence. an education does not equate to intelligence, what's more, the whole system changes daily with the addition of words like pod and .com. we invent the system, we shouldn't be slaves to it. what's more, we're awfully selective about what we want. technically, we shouldn't be using words with all capital letters for emphasis because words are suppose to be capitalized only at the start of the sentence or as proper nouns; we shouldn't use : ) or any other emoticons because that's not how the punctuation was intended. it is a message board, not 3rd grade english class.

td4mvp3
06-06-2007, 08:19 PM
THANK you. And while we're at it, let's try to spell a little better too. How hard is it? Also, "alot" is not a word. Repeat it, memorize it, make it your own.
you should have a comma between "better" and "too" to be grammatically correct.

td4mvp3
06-06-2007, 08:23 PM
and what about saying so-and-so + so-and-so = such-and-such. you don't add words. seriously. it's a message board.

JonVito
06-06-2007, 08:24 PM

man, i now banish you from Cavs Nation

how can you call yourself a Cavs fan and not believe we are going to win?

you might as well not even watch the finals...unless you are wearing silver and black

FuzzyLumpkins
06-06-2007, 08:36 PM

-Mars

i see it as a sign of efficeincy. as long as there periods and double spaced paragrapsh it doesnt effect my ability to read anything. i can jsut type a lot faster this way.

FuzzyLumpkins
06-06-2007, 08:37 PM

-Maras

If that is what denotes intellegence to you that is about all i need to know.

JonVito
06-06-2007, 08:40 PM
If that is what denotes intellegence to you that is about all i need to know.

co-sign

SouthernFried
06-06-2007, 08:44 PM
Doesn't hurt to capitalize. Tho, it could be a hassle for those with poor typing skills.

<hold shift> <select appropriate key> <hit appropriate key while continuing to hold shift key>

Oh well...

Internet speak...been interesting to watch over the years. I guess message boards don't require the same grammatical useage as...uh, well. Come to think of it, very few things really "require" correct grammar useage. Very few people actually HAVE to use grammar correctly.

So why use it at all?

Personally, I like to read people who know how to write. Using grammar correctly makes reading easier and more enjoyable. You don't have to use correct grammar on a message board, especially if you really don't give a shit what others think.

But, don't be surprised if those reading...start feeling the same way.

"Yeah, well. I don't give a shit if they don't give a shit!"

and so it goes...

Spurs in 5

foodie2
06-06-2007, 08:49 PM
you should have a comma between "better" and "too" to be grammatically correct.

Actually, that is not the case. The "comma before 'too' rule" is an outdated rule.

FuzzyLumpkins
06-06-2007, 08:55 PM
Doesn't hurt to capitalize. Tho, it could be a hassle for those with poor typing skills.

<hold shift> <select appropriate key> <hit appropriate key while continuing to hold shift key>

Oh well...

Internet speak...been interesting to watch over the years. I guess message boards don't require the same grammatical useage as...uh, well. Come to think of it, very few things really "require" correct grammar useage. Very few people actually HAVE to use grammar correctly.

So why use it at all?

Personally, I like to read people who know how to write. Using grammar correctly makes reading easier and more enjoyable. You don't have to use correct grammar on a message board, especially if you really don't give a shit what others think.

and so it goes...

Spurs in 5

its not as if anyone is using the wrong sequence involving adjectives and adverbs or misusing clauses or having grossmispelling and wrong diction. you do realize that there are two spaces after a period for a reason.

i play a lot of video games and i know how i type is a product of that because of it but do you really have difficulty reading what i type or is it just a pet peeve that you want to be anal for the sake of being anal?

i mean to me this is akin to getting mad because people substitute your and youre or there and their. Hey lets get mad if people dont hyphenate properly!!!

if i am failing to communicate because you cannot read what i type then i definitely can respect that but if you want to get all bunched up just for the sake of it i dont know what tot ell you.

jag
06-06-2007, 09:29 PM

i dont not capitalize cause it makes me cooler(even though i know it does), i dont capitalize cause i'm that lazy.

michaelwcho
06-06-2007, 10:09 PM

I think it's because they grew up on text messaging.

Ya Vez
06-06-2007, 10:11 PM
I am sure the spurs are going to lose 1 game.... spurs in 5...

michaelwcho
06-06-2007, 10:13 PM
[QUOTE=td4mvp3] the whole system changes daily with the addition of words like pod and .com. QUOTE]
There is some truth to this. I have noticed that people have been using "disinterested" incorrectly lately. It means "impartial", for example "not having an interest" (avoiding a conflict of interest). But now journalists are using to mean "uninterested." It's like nails on a blackboard to me!

backup:
Usage Note: In traditional usage, disinterested can only mean "having no stake in an outcome," as in Since the judge stands to profit from the sale of the company, she cannot be considered a disinterested party in the dispute. But despite critical disapproval, disinterested has come to be widely used by many educated writers to mean "uninterested" or "having lost interest," as in Since she discovered skiing, she is disinterested in her schoolwork. Oddly enough, "not interested" is the oldest sense of the word, going back to the 17th century. This sense became outmoded in the 18th century but underwent a revival in the first quarter of the early 20th. Despite its resuscitation, this usage is widely considered an error. In a 1988 survey, 89 percent of the Usage Panel rejected the sentence His unwillingness to give five minutes of his time proves that he is disinterested in finding a solution to the problem. This is not a significantly different proportion from the 93 percent who disapproved of the same usage in 1980.

http://www.thefreedictionary.com/disinterested

td4mvp3
06-06-2007, 10:24 PM
Actually, that is not the case. The "comma before 'too' rule" is an outdated rule.
internet. most rules are outdated. does anyone know the proper way to distinguish when to use "that" and "which?" can you tell me the importance of a split infinitive? ever use "Google" as a verb? and it's outdated according to who (or is that whom?)? gimme a break. grammar on a message board.

td4mvp3
06-06-2007, 10:28 PM
I think it's because they grew up on text messaging.
i've texted messaged twice in my life and they came last week. i'm actually a professional writer and fully recognize the need for proper grammar and the rest of it but in its context. this is no more like a sheet of paper than my tv screen. i can put little moving things on the page, e.g., :depressed :blah :elephant :smokin :madrun

there is no way to convince me that in such a context, grammer makes much difference. i've yet to read something on this board that i couldn't understand.

td4mvp3
06-06-2007, 10:29 PM

Oh well...

So why use it at all?

and so it goes...

Spurs in 5

for all the important things in life: books, newspapers, gettting that basic education. message boards that let any 8 year old with a keyboard sign up doesn't count.

foodie2
06-07-2007, 05:59 AM
internet. most rules are outdated. does anyone know the proper way to distinguish when to use "that" and "which?" can you tell me the importance of a split infinitive? ever use "Google" as a verb? and it's outdated according to who (or is that whom?)? gimme a break. grammar on a message board.

According to the Chicago Manual of Style.

41times
06-07-2007, 09:54 AM
If the Spurs were to lose game 1 (which i don't think they will) but if they did and considering games 3 thru 5 are in Cleveland..........this board and the City of San Antonio would probably freak out big time.

The Spurs must win game 1 and 2 in order to not be worried about 3 straight in Cleveland. If the Spurs do that they will wrap it up in 6 at home.

JoeTait75
06-07-2007, 10:24 AM
man, i now banish you from Cavs Nation

how can you call yourself a Cavs fan and not believe we are going to win?

you might as well not even watch the finals...unless you are wearing silver and black

It's all gravy, dawg. I've been rooting for the Cavs since Ben Poquette, Edgar Jones, and "Dinner Bell Mel" Turpin were playing at the Coliseum. I'm glad we're here, and I'm not sweating the outcome, since I think we'll be back in the near future. Besides, it's the NBA. History of this league shows you've got to take a beating or two before it's your time. We'll lose, we'll learn, and we'll be back.

sandman
06-07-2007, 10:24 AM
you do realize that there are two spaces after a period for a reason.

Not in APA format! :)

Seriously though, message boards/forums like ST have evolved into a real time environment that more mimics a conversation than an exchange of ideas that one would find in academic/scientific message boards. It is simply a matter of talk-typing. The most important point is that we are able to convey our message appropriately, regardless of grammar, syntax, slang or emoticons. It is my own fault if others are not able to understand my communications. I have to know my audience.