PDA

View Full Version : Biggest Thing I Noticed Tonight

Aggie Hoopsfan
12-02-2004, 03:19 AM
Even in pre-game, our guys were loose. I don't mean they didn't care. They did. But they were very relaxed. You could see guys joking around, talking with one another. I was especially struck by Tony and Beno - they act like brothers around one another.

All game long though, you'd see them make a play, and a smile would creep over some of their faces. I think probably half the turnovers they had tonight were a result of one of the guys trying to outdo one of the previous plays in the second half.

But regardless, I can only recall a few times before seeing athletes acting like that - where you could see they were having fun, smiling, and just enjoying playing the game.

One was the Aggies in overtime vs. KState in the 1998 B12 championship game, particularly QB Branndon Stewart prior to his game winning touchdown pass.

Another, which Spurs fans will hate to acknowledge was the Laker teams of the threepeat. All too often you saw it among Kobe, Shaq, DFish, Horry, and Fox. It sucked for us, but they knew they were going to win, were rolling out some good ball, and enjoying themselves.

Also saw it last year in the playoffs with the Patriots, same kinda thing. They knew they had it going on.

This team is special people, it's gonna be a fun ride. They're putting on clinics at both ends of the floor, destroying the will of their opponents, and having fun doing it. We've got the core locked up through '08, which is going to lead to some very impressive familiarity with one another out on the court.

And the scary thing is, Barry hasn't even found his range yet. :hat

slayermin
12-02-2004, 04:02 AM
My favorite play was Manu's touch pass to Tony, and then Tim cracking up, running down the court because he knew Manu was clownin' the Sixers.

whottt
12-02-2004, 04:12 AM
I think Brent Barry is in shock...to be on a strong winning team, and because his old team has an even better record than his new team. He'll calm down...the best thing about Barry is that he does a ton of stuff even if his shot isn't going down...if it's not going down he just starts making awesome passes and setting up his teamates.

One huge difference in this season...we've got some mofos that can finish that break and not short arm those layups, like Manu(yes Manu), Hedo and Malik had a tendency do...Barry and Devin are money when they are finishing the break, it's like the most natural thing in the world to them...

Damn I am gonna go rewatch last nights game...it was fun.

Rummpd
12-02-2004, 12:23 PM
Darn blackout - NBATV blocked the local channel in my area from the game - sounded impressive as heck on radio! I am going to break down and buy the league pass soon on cable.

MadDoc

coachtf
12-02-2004, 12:32 PM
This team has a different swagger than those of the past. I think it shows alot of confidence but also the understanding that this team can play and hold their own when Timmy is resting. Make no mistake about it, this is still Tim's team but they have some guys who can get it done and they play with balls with or without him on the floor.

They seem to have a much better feel for the offense and the defense is getting better and better. Alot of the guys are getting their hands in passing lanes and making things happen on their own. Manu inspires alot of hustle from the other guys and Devin Brown is adding juice to the rotation. Good times ahead!

T Park
12-02-2004, 01:07 PM
great point coach,

there for a long time, and even in 03, you used to cringe when Duncan went out.

Now??

GInobili, Barry, Parker, Brown, Malik, Udrih

can all carry the load and help out and play quite well.

It is a fun ride, and enjoying the hell out of it.

What sucks, is when they play like this, and you look at other teams, you wonder,

who COULD beat this team??

Only one stands out.

Phoenix.

FromWayDowntown
12-02-2004, 02:22 PM
Part of what might make this team feel so confident is the knowledge that its greatest nemesis is no longer around. As good as the Spurs have played in years past, there was always that lingering feeling that the Lakers were out there and had to be vanquished for good things to happen. I've never had the sense that the Spurs were anything other than frustrated with losses to Minnesota, Dallas, or Phoenix -- there was never really a concern about whether they could beat them. Maybe losing that doubt as to every team in the league has loosened these guys up.

Nikos
12-02-2004, 02:34 PM
I noticed they were pretty loose in the pre-game warm ups and half time when I went to the Celtics game in Boston.

They were sluggish that game, but they found a way to win it.

But I did notice that guys like Beno and TP seem to like to joke around a lot. Beno and Manu also seem to as well. Barry is always encouraging his teamattes as well. The whole team seems to be pulling for each other in a genuine way.

This team has a nice chemistry already, no egos. Hopefully they can play consistent and stay healthy. Then by seasons end, the team should be even more fun to watch.

boutons
12-02-2004, 02:47 PM
"Part of what might make this team feel so confident is the knowledge that its greatest nemesis is no longer around."

Wrong. It was clear in the player interviews after the 03 championship that the Spurs were relieved THEN to get the 3-year Laker monkey off their backs, to get over that hump.

And the broad, solid womping they gave LA @Staples last Apr 4 04 (Parker, 29 pts, etc), and then again in the first 2 playoff games (Parker again), didn't show any lack of confidence about beating the Lakers. None.

I was at the Sixers game, and was almost worried when I saw how cool and relaxed the Spurs were in pre-game. I was thinking "sh!t, these guys aren't ready to do battle". And the starters had no juice in the first quarter. It was when bench came in ready to roll and evened up the game at @25 at the 12-minute buzzer that the game turned, and they carried on into the 2nd. The starters could have taken the rest of the night off.

FromWayDowntown
12-02-2004, 03:30 PM
And the broad, solid womping they gave LA @Staples last Apr 4 04 (Parker, 29 pts, etc), and then again in the first 2 playoff games (Parker again), didn't show any lack of confidence about beating the Lakers. None.

Fine, if you say so. I know that I saw that shade of doubt from my seat at Staples Center during Game 3 of that series, and again from my seat at SBC Center during parts of Game 5 and particularly in the aftermath of .4.

All I'm saying is that the source of this franchise's frustrations (of late) is no longer a significant threat, and I think the Spurs are playing with an air of confidence that is attributable, in part, to the elimination of that doubt.

wildbill2u
12-02-2004, 07:52 PM
The last few games they've been going through some of the better teams like Sherman through Georgia, taking no prisoners in the 4th quarter, whereas they used to ease up and let teams back in the game.

I think Manu, Beno and Barry have brought some killer instinct into the mix. They don't quit playing defense when they get a 10 point lead. They want 30. They have mental toughness that reminds me of the 1st championship team. Let's see if they can win when they get behind in the 4th.

T Park
12-02-2004, 08:11 PM
you mean Wildbill how they won coming from behind against Philly in Phiilly?? :)

FromWayDowntown
12-02-2004, 08:20 PM
you mean Wildbill how they won coming from behind against Philly in Phiilly?? :)

you mean, T Park, how they won coming from behind against Toronto and Memphis? :)