PDA

View Full Version : Hey Sequ - what do you think of the Chris Young trade now, eh?

Solid D
06-07-2007, 01:59 AM
Last year when the Rangers' rookie GM John Daniels traded rising stars Chris Young and Adrian Gonzalez (plus Terrmel Sledge) to San Diego for Adam Eaton, Aki Otsuka and young catcher Billy Killian...I blanched at first wind of the deal. "What?" I vented in this Forum about getting a pitcher (Eaton) whose contract was ending (with no real love for Texas in the first place). Sequ assured that Eaton was a good pickup. ;)

Fast forward to today. Aki Otsuka has been good as a closer or in late-inning support. What else do the Rangers have to show for this trade? Eaton got hurt and then, predictably, signed elsewhere for 2007. And Killian? The kid is currently bouncing between Rookie and Class A....and back to AZ rookie league again. The Rangers are in last place in their division and in all of MLB.

What do the Padres have to show for their end of the trade? Gonzalez leads the team in hitting, at or near .300. He leads the team in HRs (12), RBI, hits, Slugging, and he's a terrific defensive 1st baseman. Chris Young is a 2nd starter behind Peavy with a 6-3 W-L record, 2.19 ERA (2nd lowest in NL), 1.14 WHIP, BAA .202. The Padres are in 1st place in their division, 2nd in the NL.

Nice trade.

BeerIsGood!
06-07-2007, 04:32 AM
Young gives up way too many fly balls to be effective in Arlington, but shipping Gonzalez was absolute trash. They should have moved Tex for something of value and kept Gonzalez.

But I guess this is what you get when you hire a GM who's resume consisted of awesome trades on MLB games on PS2