PDA

View Full Version : Buck Harvey: The next Ginobili? Foreign intelligence

Jimcs50
12-02-2004, 09:50 AM
Buck Harvey: The next Ginobili? Foreign intelligence
Web Posted: 12/02/2004 12:00 AM CST

San Antonio Express-News

Some in the Spurs' organization think Beno Udrih is the best passer on the best passing team in franchise history.

Better than Manu Ginobili?

"Beno's passes," said one, "always make sense."

Ginobili smiled at that, as did Udrih. "I'm a rookie," Udrih said. "My passes have to make sense."

Then they left the locker room together, the last two out Wednesday, a symbolic combination. The Spurs were ahead of the pack when they drafted Tony Parker, and the pack wasn't even within view when they took Ginobili. Now comes the latest, someone who combines Parker's Euro background at point guard with Ginobili's left-handed dare.

How did the International House of Spurs do it this time?

The Sixers have to wonder. Udrih came in for Parker with a little more than four minutes left in the first quarter and Philadelphia had a 17-12 lead. Then Udrih snapped a pass to Devin Brown for a 3-pointer, followed with a drive and then threw in an 18-footer to end the quarter.

That tied the score. When Parker later replaced Udrih, Tim Duncan was himself and the Spurs were up by nine. The night before, in Dallas, Udrih had a similar impact.

He didn't come from nowhere. Udrih played against Parker when the two were teens in Europe, and he played against Ginobili, too. When European power Maccabi Tel Aviv signed Udrih two years ago, it was a sign of his future. Few 20-year-old point guards start for such a team.

But this is when the cracks began to form, and only those who paid attention understood. In Tel Aviv the press and fans preferred a young, local talent. The Maccabi coach insisted Udrih someday could play in the NBA, but, according to a journalist there, "Nobody took him seriously."

Udrih tightened and was slowed by a twisted ankle. When he went to a small Russian club the next season, his value fell further. Udrih, injured again, left the team and then drifted. He ended up with a team in Milan at the end of last season, but only in a pre-draft camp in Chicago were NBA execs impressed.

Though he ranked as one of the best there, scouts saw Udrih as they did Parker a few years ago. Sure, he looked good, but how accurate was the measurement?

From there Udrih went on a series of individual workouts, including one in San Antonio. As far as he could tell, the Spurs had no more interest in him than anyone else did.

Little did he know. The Spurs went to Chicago, for example, primarily to see Udrih.

They already had done their background checks, and this was about more than a few phone calls. This was about how they work the world.

Gregg Popovich, with language skills in both Russian and Serbo-Croatian, has opened doors for the Spurs. In the summer of 2003, before driving to Slovenia to recruit Rasho Nesterovic, Popovich attended a coaches' conference in Serbia. He was the only U.S. coach there — out of maybe 1,000. :smokin

R.C. Buford and his staff follow behind, scouting, doing research, making connections. An example came in training camp this fall, when the Spurs hosted a dozen Serbian coaches.

Give. And take, naturally. What the Spurs seek is the inside skinny. They don't believe in individual workouts as much as they do a trusted source who can accurately tell them what the player is about.

Udrih, they were told, could see the floor. He's a better player than his numbers. He passes ahead to the right spot, and the game seems more organized when he's in it. He feeds the post well, and his size allows him to be an adequate defender.

As for his shooting: He looks like a modern-day Gail Goodrich, with a quick left-hand stroke.

What they heard about his personality meant more. At first glance, Udrih seems too passive, a stereotype of his countrymen. When Udrih failed in Israel, some wondered if he had the moxie.

That's where inside information helped. Udrih, they were told, is unassuming, but there's also fire beneath the surface.

It has come out already. And when he fits in the locker room, or surprises with his poise, or makes a remarkable pass?

He's just the latest.

Jimcs50
12-02-2004, 09:51 AM
To think, we still have some Pop bashers in here, that is just totally absurd.

ducks
12-02-2004, 09:52 AM
yeah because he won a title he makes no mistake:rolleyes

timvp was mad at pop not to long ago about playing horry in 4 to much

if this place was all homers for pop it would not be as good

picnroll
12-02-2004, 09:57 AM
Interesting contrast in styles at PG. Parker creates chaos, disrutping the defense, and then oportunities out of that chaos. Udrih creates order, precision ball movement, and then opportunities out of that order.

SPARKY
12-02-2004, 10:14 AM
Damn it is good to be a Spurs fan.

tekdragon
12-02-2004, 10:26 AM
Life is good.

mattyc
12-02-2004, 10:30 AM
Some in the Spurs' organization think Beno Udrih is the best passer on the best passing team in franchise history.
[/B]
:smokin :drunk :elephant Huge call! Does sound like we were keen on Beno for a while. We can't expect a gem at every late pick, but we are doing mighty fine with them lately!

Jimcs50
12-02-2004, 10:36 AM
Party on, Garth.

spurster
12-02-2004, 10:52 AM
I have to admit that Beno doesn't suck anymore.

smeagol
12-02-2004, 11:16 AM
*Knock*, *Knock* . . . Sequ . . . is anybody home? Sequ, are U there ???

picnroll
12-02-2004, 11:19 AM
It's a rite of passage. Every rookie has to bring donuts and have Sequ post he sucks.

Slo spurs fan
12-02-2004, 11:19 AM
*Knock*, *Knock* . . . Sequ . . . is anybody home? Sequ, are U there ???

*Knock*, *Knock* . . . Bryant . . . is anybody home? Bryant, are U there ??? :lol

Marcus Bryant
12-02-2004, 11:25 AM
Yes I am here. sup?

Slomo
12-02-2004, 11:34 AM
Ginobili smiled at that, as did Udrih. "I'm a rookie," Udrih said. "My passes have to make sense."

I like this quote :lol

I just hope he doesn't get a big head from this sort of articles. Then again if anybody can keep egos in check I believe it is this team. Life is good right now and I think there's even room for improvement.

Jimcs50
12-02-2004, 12:43 PM
I like this quote :lol

I just hope he doesn't get a big head from this sort of articles. Then again if anybody can keep egos in check I believe it is this team. Life is good right now and I think there's even room for improvement.

Every pro athlete has a big head, that is a given. You do not get to that level w/o having supreme confidence in your abilities.

Solid D
12-02-2004, 12:55 PM
http://www.bbhighway.com/download/clinic%20applications/B%20C%20B%202003%20program.pdf

From the archives (PDF)

Slomo
12-02-2004, 01:40 PM
Every pro athlete has a big head, that is a given. You do not get to that level w/o having supreme confidence in your abilities.
True

I'm should've said too big. :)

I. Hustle
01-05-2016, 04:45 PM
So... wait. Is Simmons or this Udrih guy the next Manu?

picnroll
01-05-2016, 05:07 PM
Whatever happened to Jimcs50? Use to be there were good posters like him, Slomo , Bruno, Solid D, Ghost Writer, TimVP, Kori posting regularly. Now we have appleshit and dumbbomb.

sasaint
01-05-2016, 06:49 PM
So... wait. Is Simmons or this Udrih guy the next Manu?

In his rookie year, Udrih was very impressive (just not on defense). I thought we should dump Tony and keep Beno. I figure Pop could barely live with Manu's passes, much less Beno's, too. But the guy was a great passer. His journeyman career has kind of surprised me. I still wonder how he might have panned out if the Spurs had kept him.

daslicer
01-05-2016, 07:08 PM
Damn it is good to be a Spurs fan.

11 years later and that statement still holds true.

Mikeanaro
01-05-2016, 07:08 PM
You can find a Ginobili in a trash can everywhere, tbh. AHASHDAHSDHASDHASDHASDHAHDHAH!

cd98
01-05-2016, 07:14 PM
In his rookie year, Udrih was very impressive (just not on defense). I thought we should dump Tony and keep Beno. I figure Pop could barely live with Manu's passes, much less Beno's, too. But the guy was a great passer. His journeyman career has kind of surprised me. I still wonder how he might have panned out if the Spurs had kept him.

Beno lost his mojo when he couldn't get the ball across mid court during the finals.

sasaint
01-05-2016, 07:18 PM
Beno lost his mojo when he couldn't get the ball across mid court during the finals.

That rings a faint bell. Came back the next season with an early season injury? and thereafter never got out of Pop's doghouse? I do declare some of you posters here have phenomenal memories when it comes to the Spurs.

gospursgojas
01-05-2016, 07:21 PM

This isn't even an exaggeration...he literally had problems bringing ball up court...was Lindsey Hunters lil bitch.

Maddog
01-05-2016, 07:29 PM

The talent was there, but not the mental toughness Early, 2004/05 season your sentiments where echoed by others. Also, a fairly good shooter and big enough to play as 2 on some occasions.
He got man handled by Lindsey Hunter in the finals and in late 2007 lost the back up position to Vaughn. Never really meshed well with Pop and I think at one point Pop sad something about not having handled him well.
When George Hill was drafted, I remember RC saying something to the effect that George was tough and could handle being coached by Pop.

picnroll
01-05-2016, 07:35 PM
Beno also got fat, out of shape. Liked to party more than work on his game. The anti-Kawhi.

beirmeistr
01-05-2016, 08:39 PM
Whatever happened to Jimcs50? Use to be there were good posters like him, Slomo , Bruno, Solid D, Ghost Writer, TimVP, Kori posting regularly. Now we have appleshit and dumbbomb.

and Smeagol

lil'mo
01-06-2016, 02:00 AM
Lol smeagol fuckin sucks

cutewizard
01-06-2016, 02:12 AM
jsIMMMMMMOOOoooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo onnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnssssssssssssssss!

ChumpDumper
01-06-2016, 02:40 AM
Beno had to leave the Spurs to get over himself. He's as good as ploto thought he was now.

Darius McCrary
01-06-2016, 03:49 AM
JimCS was only funny when he lent that fat tamale eating mexican guy thousands of dollars who then took the money ran away and stopped posting lolol

100%duncan
01-06-2016, 08:50 AM
Beno was a scrub. Detroit cheered for him when he subbed in smh

Darius McCrary
01-07-2016, 07:39 PM
bigzak?
mookie2001?
elpimpo4cc?
Gatita?
TheRessurectedOne?

Gatita :lmao