PDA

View Full Version : Question for Texas/Spurs fans

Thunder Dan
06-07-2007, 08:57 AM
I'm from Ohio, and a big Ohio State fan. Whenever a former Buckeye comes back while playing as a professional most all tOSU fans cheer for, or atleast find themselves wanting to see that player do well no matter what team they are now playing for. For Ohio State (untill this year) this normally only happens in football. But do you Longhorn fans want to see Daniel Gibson do well? I went to both Ohio State vs Texas games and got a chance to meet some of their fans, and they seem to be just like Buckeye fans (though a little more reasonable). But I would expect most UT fans rooting for Gibson to do well, but not well enough for him to lead his team to a win...Much like I will be doing for Troy Smith this year, now that he plays for the Browns arch enemy, the Ravens.

Obstructed_View
06-07-2007, 09:00 AM
Longhorn fans might be rooting for the Spurs, but they would drop to their knees and suck Daniel Gibson at midcourt if asked.

ATRAIN
06-07-2007, 09:00 AM
Yes I would like to see him do well........but not in this series.

VinnyTestesVerde
06-07-2007, 09:03 AM
Depends on their allegiance to college vs. pros. A lot of times it's one of those things where you want say, Gibson to have a good series, but not make a big enough impact to take down your favorite NBA team.

ATXSPUR
06-07-2007, 09:04 AM
Spurs basketball > Longhorn basketball

but Longhorn football > Spurs basketball

Im a college before pro guy in football...but UT's bball program hasnt shown much outside of Durant just recently.

But Longhorn football and College football in general is king!

Thunder Dan
06-07-2007, 09:08 AM
see in Ohio, Ohio State normally has a bigger following only becuase they are the only "winners" traditionally, so they have more fans. It's not really the case in basketball, but alot of times on our message boards the main topics inculde deep discussions on how Ohio State could beat the Browns in football. So OSU fans really cheer for the former players becuase they know the Browns are not going to win anyway.

ATXSPUR
06-07-2007, 09:15 AM
see in Ohio, Ohio State normally has a bigger following only becuase they are the only "winners" traditionally, so they have more fans. It's not really the case in basketball, but alot of times on our message boards the main topics inculde deep discussions on how Ohio State could beat the Browns in football. So OSU fans really cheer for the former players becuase they know the Browns are not going to win anyway.

Another reason is Ohio State are really the only "big boys" as far as college goes in the state. So alot of your pro fans are gonna be tosu fans. However here we have a&m and tech...and alot of them on this board hate ut's guts. So it isnt as much of a black and white. Ohio State seems to be king in the state though from what I have seen.

leemajors
06-07-2007, 09:19 AM
Longhorn fans might be rooting for the Spurs, but they would drop to their knees and suck Daniel Gibson at midcourt if asked.

huh? gibson underperformed consistently at UT.

Obstructed_View
06-07-2007, 09:23 AM
huh? gibson underperformed consistently at UT.
Oh. Handjob only, in that case.

L.I.T
06-07-2007, 09:25 AM
I went to college at UT, but was raised on the Spurs.

Unless we're talking football...then it's almost neck-in-neck.

Edit: Upon further reflection. Spurs still supreme.

samikeyp
06-07-2007, 09:31 AM
Once the Horns are removed...that person is dead to me.
:lol

Ok not really....I hope Daniel Gibson has a long, injury-free career in the NBA. As long as he is not playing against the Spurs...I hope he does really well. I am a Longhorn fan (although not of the nut-sucking, handjob type Obstructed View was describing :lol) and I like to see the players from UT play well but my ultimate NBA loyalty is to the Silver and Black.

TampaDude
06-07-2007, 09:31 AM
Aw, what the hell do I know...I'm a Gators fan... :lol

Thunder Dan
06-07-2007, 10:02 AM
Another reason is Ohio State are really the only "big boys" as far as college goes in the state. So alot of your pro fans are gonna be tosu fans. However here we have a&m and tech...and alot of them on this board hate ut's guts. So it isnt as much of a black and white. Ohio State seems to be king in the state though from what I have seen.

thats exactly how it is, you either like Ohio St. or Michigan becuase you made a concious decision to just not like Ohio State

degenerate_gambler
06-07-2007, 10:02 AM
...Much like I will be doing for Troy Smith this year, now that he plays for the Browns arch enemy, the Ravens.

have they turned him into a wide receiver yet?

Thunder Dan
06-07-2007, 10:05 AM
have they turned him into a wide receiver yet?

According to the Baltimore Sun he has far surpassed the teams expectations this far. His throws are hard and accurate, but they say it might change once they go 11 on 11 with a full squad. But he won't be a WR.

fyatuk
06-07-2007, 10:06 AM
College basketball is the one thing I really am a bandwagoner on. UT basketball is always disappointing, so I have no problems preferring Tech or A&M some seasons.

Although, honestly, I'd LOVE to see UTSA make an actual good run at it one of these years.

Sec24Row7
06-07-2007, 10:06 AM
If Vince Young played for the Cavs I would cheer for him.

What exactly did Daniel Gibson do?

Remember that question... You will be asking the same thing in like 5 games.

dmac
06-07-2007, 10:12 AM
I'm from Ohio, and a big Ohio State fan. Whenever a former Buckeye comes back while playing as a professional most all tOSU fans cheer for, or atleast find themselves wanting to see that player do well no matter what team they are now playing for. For Ohio State (untill this year) this normally only happens in football. But do you Longhorn fans want to see Daniel Gibson do well? I went to both Ohio State vs Texas games and got a chance to meet some of their fans, and they seem to be just like Buckeye fans (though a little more reasonable). But I would expect most UT fans rooting for Gibson to do well, but not well enough for him to lead his team to a win...Much like I will be doing for Troy Smith this year, now that he plays for the Browns arch enemy, the Ravens.
Daniel who?

BigBeezie
06-07-2007, 10:18 AM

I'm a huge UT fan and alumni....and I couldn't care less about how well Daniel Gibson does in this series. So, I don't think Gibson will be getting much love this week.

For all I care he can disappear like a fart in the wind.

Solid D
06-07-2007, 10:20 AM
Spurs basketball > Longhorn basketball

but Longhorn football > Spurs basketball

Im a college before pro guy in football...but UT's bball program hasnt shown much outside of Durant just recently.

But Longhorn football and College football in general is king!

UT's bball program has actually shown a lot under Mr. Barnes the past 8 years. They have not missed going to the NCAA tournament, with 2 Sweet 16s, an Elite 8 and a Final 4 appearance ('03).

Gibson was considered a great talent but people around here quickly learned that he was not a PG. He was much better off the dribble as a scorer or hitting the occasional 3. He was not real strong with the ball and tended to cough it up in double-team situations. That is why the Spurs may try to implement the "Boobie Trap". (I'm not sure if that is original but hey, it works).

thispego
06-07-2007, 10:20 AM
i'm down with d gibs. game 6 vs detroit was one of the funnest games i've watched all season. plus i didnt know his nickname was boobie when he went to texas

thispego
06-07-2007, 10:21 AM
UT's bball program has actually shown a lot under Mr. Barnes the past 8 years. They have not missed going to the NCAA tournament, with 2 Sweet 16s, and Elite 8 and a Final 4 appearance ('03).

Gibson was considered a great talent but people around here quickly learned that he was not a PG. He was much better off the dribble as a scorer or hitting the occasional 3. He was not real strong with the ball and tended to cough it up in double-team situations. That is why the Spurs may try to implement the "Boobie Trap". (I'm not sure if that is original but hey, it works).
good one. as far as i'm concerned, solid d coined that one

lovethesport
06-07-2007, 10:29 AM
No question for me. I want to see Gibson win!!! Anybody but cry baby Duncan!

ATXSPUR
06-07-2007, 10:33 AM

This says for Texas/Spurs moron. You obviously arent a Spurs...and you live in the capitol of oklahoma so this does not concern you south okie.

lovethesport
06-07-2007, 10:37 AM
This says for Texas/Spurs moron. You obviously arent a Spurs...and you live in the capitol of oklahoma so this does not concern you south okie.

What you don't like to hear that Duncan is a whinny ass and get special treatment from the refs?

Sec24Row7
06-07-2007, 10:50 AM
Hey mav Fan...

http://www.lasraicesranch.com/images/misc/trophy.gifhttp://www.lasraicesranch.com/images/misc/trophy.gifhttp://www.lasraicesranch.com/images/misc/trophy.gifand maybe their friend http://www.lasraicesranch.com/images/misc/trophy.gif

Keep :fishing

Hook Dem
06-07-2007, 10:59 AM
Hey mav Fan...

http://www.lasraicesranch.com/images/misc/trophy.gifhttp://www.lasraicesranch.com/images/misc/trophy.gifhttp://www.lasraicesranch.com/images/misc/trophy.gifand maybe their friend http://www.lasraicesranch.com/images/misc/trophy.gif

Keep :fishing
:clap :clap :clap :elephant :elephant :elephant

SAtoDallas
06-07-2007, 11:18 AM
Anybody like cry baby Dirk, cry baby Nash, etc, if you haven't watched basketball everybody whines.

O-Factor
06-07-2007, 11:20 AM
What has daniel gibson done for me lately????

Louie Vega
06-07-2007, 11:28 AM

Longhorn fans would do that to anyone if asked!

Louie Vega
06-07-2007, 11:29 AM
But Longhorn football.......is king!

Only in Austin!

ATXSPUR
06-07-2007, 12:19 PM
Only in Austin!

Sounds like we got ourselves an aggie

DudleyDawson
06-07-2007, 01:48 PM
As for the original question, Daniel Gibson is no Vince Young..he's no Kevin Durant..he's no TJ Ford in terms of his place in the hearts of Texas fans. Those 3 guys will be cheered for a long time in this state. As someone stated earlier, Gibson constantly underperformed at Texas, and to be honest, I'm pretty shocked at the success he's been having as of late. I would give him a nice applause once he entered the game, but that's where it would end. In VY's case, I would probably show up to the game wearing his jersey, cheer for him and only him, hope he single handedly destroyed the opposing team. In TJ's first game playing in San Antonio with the Bucks I remember him getting a very good cheer in the starting line-ups. I even believe he flashed the hook 'em sign. If Gibson were a starter he'd probably get far less boos and a spattering of applause(mostly from the announcer saying "from the University of Texas"). So yes we like to see former players do well, but Gibson's basically just another guy.

2centsworth
06-07-2007, 01:57 PM
Hey mav Fan...

Keep :fishingthat is so sweet!

if you stare at that long enough it turns into 6 trophies. Maybe a sign of things to come.

Thunder Dan
06-07-2007, 02:13 PM
As for the original question, Daniel Gibson is no Vince Young..he's no Kevin Durant..he's no TJ Ford in terms of his place in the hearts of Texas fans. Those 3 guys will be cheered for a long time in this state. As someone stated earlier, Gibson constantly underperformed at Texas, and to be honest, I'm pretty shocked at the success he's been having as of late. I would give him a nice applause once he entered the game, but that's where it would end. In VY's case, I would probably show up to the game wearing his jersey, cheer for him and only him, hope he single handedly destroyed the opposing team. In TJ's first game playing in San Antonio with the Bucks I remember him getting a very good cheer in the starting line-ups. I even believe he flashed the hook 'em sign. If Gibson were a starter he'd probably get far less boos and a spattering of applause(mostly from the announcer saying "from the University of Texas"). So yes we like to see former players do well, but Gibson's basically just another guy.

Yeah, I never followed Gibson in college, but he sounds like Daqeuan Cook from this year's Ohio St. team. He was one of 3 freshamn to leave early (Oden and Conley the others). He didn't preform like the McDonalds All- American he was, and everyone collectivly scratched their heads when he declared. It sounds like Gibson can be lumped into that category. Where Conley and Oden will be cheered in Ohio for a long time- even though they only played for a year- Cook will not get a huge ovation.

But where Vince Young is Texas' Golden Boy, Troy Smith is Ohio's, which sucks becuase he plays for the most hated team in all of Northeastern and Central Ohio