PDA

View Full Version : Elson the X factor?

Spurs Brazil
06-07-2007, 09:23 AM
Get Out and Go
The Spurs have shown their adaptability during this playoff run, and they must continue to show they can play different styles. After a grind-it-out series against the Jazz, they must get their running game going again against the Cavaliers. They don't want to get into a half-court offensive battle against Cleveland's defense. Tony Parker and Manu Ginobili will be the keys to a faster pace, but Francisco Elson, the fastest of the Spurs' big men, might get an early chance to try and beat the Cavs' defenders downcourt.

http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/basketball/nba/spurs/stories/MYSA060707.07S.BKNspurs.keys.34895df.html

Ready to help: Francisco Elson finished the Western Conference finals essentially out of the Spurs' playing rotation, partly because of matchups and partly because Fabricio Oberto was so effective.

With the Spurs looking to run more against the Cavs, Elson may be back in Popovich's plans.

Elson believes he can make a contribution against a longer, slower Cavs front line.

"I think so, because my speed and rebounding will be key," Elson said. "Not just me, but everybody on the team has that responsibility. But with my speed, I should be able to have some impact."

ArgSpursFan
06-07-2007, 09:29 AM
I really donīt see Elson playing much in the finals,unless Oberto and Horry are in foul troubles.Pop will only play the guys who fully know the system,He wont take a chance on bringing somebody to the floor who would probably make a silly mistake,and loose a game.No way.thereīs no room for stupids fauls/plays or mistakes in the finals.

mrpach
06-07-2007, 09:32 AM
Elson had his best games against slow centers, I think he will see more playing time here against Z

hater
06-07-2007, 09:33 AM
LMAO

IMO Finley will be raining threes and will earn his ring. he will be the XFACTOR

themvp
06-07-2007, 09:34 AM
At least he knows his own role. He better be ready!

SAGambler
06-07-2007, 09:42 AM
The only way I see Elson playing much is if Pop decides to try and run them in the ground for a while, and then I could see him sitting Oberto in favor of Cisco.

Other than that, he probably won't play but a few minutes a game to rest the other guys.

fyatuk
06-07-2007, 09:47 AM
The matchup certainly favors Elson over Oberto in this series, and I imagine Elson will get more playing time than in previous series's, at least in Game 1. Pop loves to play matchups.

It'll basically be a "here's your chance, if you blow it you ride the pine" in game 1.

ArgSpursFan
06-07-2007, 09:53 AM
The matchup certainly favors Elson over Oberto in this series, and I imagine Elson will get more playing time than in previous series's, at least in Game 1. Pop loves to play matchups.

It'll basically be a "here's your chance, if you blow it you ride the pine" in game 1.

I believe Pop already gave too many chances this season,I really donīt see Pop playing more tham 8 guys in the finals rotation.

VaSpursFan
06-07-2007, 09:54 AM
it's about time he did something to earn his keep. i am really hoping he works hard on learning the system this summer because he looks awful out there at times.

fyatuk
06-07-2007, 10:03 AM
I believe Pop already gave too many chances this season,I really donīt see Pop playing more tham 8 guys in the finals rotation.

Yep, but this is a clear cut situation of the matchup favoring Elson by a lot. Pop can't pass up that kind of matchup gain (I think, but we'll see).

I half expect Elson to get the backup minutes in the first half and Horry in the second.

ArgSpursFan
06-07-2007, 10:08 AM
Yep, but this is a clear cut situation of the matchup favoring Elson by a lot. Pop can't pass up that kind of matchup gain (I think, but we'll see).

I half expect Elson to get the backup minutes in the first half and Horry in the second.

If you analize Big Z european way to play BB,being slower tham other NBA centers,You may get to the conclution that Oberto would matchup better to Defend him.+Oberto is being a monter in the Offensive glass in the playoffs.I believe/hope Pop does see it that way too.Letīs see what happens

BigBeezie
06-07-2007, 10:22 AM
I think Elson could quite possibly be worse than Nazr Mohammed.... Elson just lacks the pump fakes.

ancestron
06-07-2007, 10:58 AM
yeah at least when Nazr had the ball under the rim you knew there was about an 80% chance he was going to pump fake and then slam it through like a beast. Mohammed was a great offensive rebounder and put back man, but he had absolutley no hands.

ambchang
06-07-2007, 11:50 AM
In order to run, the Spurs need to rebound.
Elson doesn't rebound well for a 7-footer, and I don't see him keeping Gooden, Z and Sideshow Bob out of the boards either.

Soul_Patch
06-07-2007, 11:53 AM
oh lord please i hope elson is not the "secret weapon" if that is the case we got some serious problems.

Marcus Bryant
06-07-2007, 11:55 AM
Elson makes sense in spots if the Spurs want to start running on the Cavs but I'd much rather see Oberto or Horry up front with TD.

Ed Helicopter Jones
06-07-2007, 11:57 AM
I don't really see the Spurs running on the Cavs all that well.