PDA

View Full Version : Holiday Traditions

Shelly
12-02-2004, 10:17 AM
Do you have any? Is it chopping down your own tree (I think there's a place in Pipe Creek?), baking cookies, a certain meal, gag gifts, roasting chestnuts over an open fire, etc.?

I always say I'm going to bake cookies and give to my neighbors and I never do. I swear that will this year. I don't think we we have any real tradition because we are rarely home during Christmas, so I guess my tradition is going to CA.

Your turn.

GoldToe
12-02-2004, 11:12 AM
Tamales and I always play Christmas music on Christmas morning as the kids unwrap their gifts.

samikeyp
12-02-2004, 11:33 AM
Taking a stroll down the riverwalk Christmas Eve looking at the lights.

Duff McCartney
12-02-2004, 11:41 AM
Yeah the Riverwalk thing for me. Except not on Christmas Eve.

samikeyp
12-02-2004, 11:49 AM
Surprisingly, when we have gone...there have not been a lot of people there. We ususally get down there about 8:30 or so and I guess most people are already at home for the night.

Duff McCartney
12-02-2004, 11:53 AM
I like going before Christmas, but I've only gone one time on the day after Thanksgiving when they turn them on. But we got there so late that it was packed like crazy.

But we used to go every year but we haven't gone in a while. But I think we'll go sometime soon. I like going when it's cold.

Kori Ellis
12-02-2004, 12:09 PM
Tamales and I always play Christmas music on Christmas morning as the kids unwrap their gifts.

A group of us were talking about that last night at the game. What's the tradition behind tamales at Christmas?

Samurai Jane
12-02-2004, 12:12 PM
Mmmm... tamales...

I bake pecan tarts for all our neighbors and we usually go drive on Christmas Eve looking for lights. I also add a new Spurs ornament to my tree every year.

AlamoSpursFan
12-02-2004, 12:13 PM
Mouse will give a Tim Duncan rookie card to the first poster that answers Kori's question with the punchline from a tastelessly racist joke...

:lmao

bigzak25
12-02-2004, 12:19 PM
my stepdad used to wake my ass up at 4am in the morning on christmas to open gifts when i was a kid.....i used to hate that....eff the gifts man, lemme sleep....

i don't think we have much tradition stuff going on in my family.....we get together....have dinner....play the christmas music....have my aunt's kids open up all their stuff and take pics....i think we've been doing the 12 oclock open gifts thing for a while....usually wifey and me save each others gifts for the morning....she prefers that....

is my wifey the only crazy woman in SA that buys gifts for the damn dogs!?

Samurai Jane
12-02-2004, 12:27 PM
is my wifey the only crazy woman in SA that buys gifts for the damn dogs!?

Nope! :spin I usually get the dogs a rawhide basket or some kind of goodies... Although the older one is starting to need mushy stuff so I'll have to come up with an alternative for her.

sbsquared
12-02-2004, 12:43 PM
We always let the kids open one gift on Christmas Eve. One year, when they were quite young, we knew they were getting really cute PJ's from my folks (the kind with the feet and a matching cap, like in the Night Before Christmas) and we had the boys open that gift so that they would wear the pj's for the Christmas morning pictures - we loved it - but the boys were not to pleased that they got pajamas instead of toys!

My mother always did a lot of baking for Christmas and I have several of her recipes. One is for a really great fruitcake - I haven't made it in years because we're always trying to cut down on the calories. My mother is now suffering from Alzheimers and I know she doesn't remember a lot of things, so I made the fruitcake this year and I'm going to have the recipe cards laminated because they're in her handwriting and she wrote personal notes on them.

MannyIsGod
12-02-2004, 01:05 PM
I'll bite on the tamales thing.... (pun not intended)

Mexicans have tamales on Christmas so we have something to unwrap Kori.

Seriously, because they are fucking good. I eat them year round by my mom makes some around christmas time, and I stuff my face.

Jimcs50
12-02-2004, 01:29 PM
We always like to go to downtown SA, get all dressed up, get some spiked Nog or latte and stroll by Travis Park and watch TPark working the streets trying to get hooked up...it is always a heart warming spirit lifting experience.

:)

samikeyp
12-02-2004, 01:39 PM
if anyone is making tamales....I will put my order in now! I love those things!

bigzak25
12-02-2004, 01:42 PM
every christmas, i go with mouse to the pawnshops and get our christmas cash....this is not necessarily for buying gifts so much as for the happy hour drinks at the local watering hole...and we usually save some cash for this hot new sweetheart we found on the streets of travis park.....

anyhow, the morning afters are filled with brisk walks as we check for unlocked doors in/around the apt. complex for quick grab stocking stuffers.....well, we're really looking for ourselves....

i got a watch and a nice remote control already.....mouse found a dildo......

SpursWoman
12-02-2004, 01:43 PM
if anyone is making tamales....I will put my order in now! I love those things!

I was actually looking for my Great Aunt's recipe for jalapeno-bean ones this morning....OMG those are good. :lol

Useruser666
12-02-2004, 01:43 PM
Presents on Christmas Eve!!! How the hell can you wait that long?!!

MannyIsGod
12-02-2004, 01:47 PM
Oh yeah, I love watching Ralphy shoot his godamn eye out each year.

Jimcs50
12-02-2004, 02:40 PM

And watch Clarence get his wimgs too.

Samurai Jane
12-02-2004, 02:42 PM
And watch Misfit Toys find homes!

KEDA
12-02-2004, 03:30 PM
We go to my Grandmothers house and open our gifts on Christmas Eve

Then go to the Girlfriends house and open more gifts on Christmas morning.

Useruser666
12-02-2004, 03:38 PM
Throwing the sweat pants that grandma gives you to the back of the closet! :lol

DrRich
12-02-2004, 03:55 PM
Driving to DAllas

ZStomp
12-02-2004, 05:01 PM
I like going before Christmas, but I've only gone one time on the day after Thanksgiving when they turn them on. But we got there so late that it was packed like crazy.

But we used to go every year but we haven't gone in a while. But I think we'll go sometime soon. I like going when it's cold.

But what?!?!?!!?

JoeChalupa
12-02-2004, 05:08 PM
My wife's side of the family does the Christmas Eve thing where as our family always opened our gifts on Christmas morning.

How can you open gifts on Christmas Eve when Santa hasn't had time to make all his deliveries yet?

So we go over to her family and I allow my kids to open one gift and the rest we open on Christmas day with the fam.

And I love stuffing my pie-hole with tamales on Christmas.

T Park
12-02-2004, 06:36 PM
Christmas Vacation, Holiday inn, and Lemon Drop Kid.

Gotta love it!!

We used to go christmas eve to Windcrest and look at all the lights, but now the neighborhood is kinda rundown I guess, and they dont have the contest anymore.

Some of the other traditions,

christmas dinner at about 4 in the afternoon then going to a movie.

other than that, nothing other than the traditional, shop for famly members, and gettin the tree at Papa Noel.

Shelly
12-02-2004, 06:39 PM
When visiting, we go to my m-i-l's on Christmas Eve and my parents on Christmas. But we stay with them, anyway.

Zak, my dog will be spoiled rotten this year. We are bringing her with us and I'm sure my dad will be loading her up with goodies. Last year, he actually gave us a present to give to her (we flew, so she didn't come) and told me not to tell my sister because he never got anything for her dog! :lol My parents fell in love with her when they saw her for the first time last year.

2Blonde
12-02-2004, 06:51 PM
Growing up in my house with 4 girls and no boys was definitely an interesting place to live. On Christmas morning one sister always got up earlier than the rest of us and went through everyone's Santa stocking to see if she liked what anyone else was getting better than what she got so she could switch things around. It got to be a contest to see if we could beat her to the punch. By the time I was a teenager we were getting up at 3:30am in the morning to claim our stocking and loot. Then we would take the stuff back to bed with with us to protect it from her. She's still evil !!

...2Blonde

SpursWoman
12-02-2004, 07:28 PM
Throwing the sweat pants that grandma gives you to the back of the closet! :lol

No! Tell grandma I'm giving you sweat pants this year! :cooldevil :lol

Hook Dem
12-02-2004, 09:49 PM
Ah yes Manny! The good 'ol Daisy Air Rifle. How bout his old man's lamp made from a stockinged womans leg! :lol P.S. Can I come over to your mother's house for some of those tamales?

T Park
12-02-2004, 11:29 PM
Red Rider BB Gun??

"youll shoot your eye out"

Fra geee lay.... Must be italian.

Samurai Jane
12-03-2004, 09:13 AM
Christmas Vacation, Holiday inn, and Lemon Drop Kid.

Gotta love it!!

We used to go christmas eve to Windcrest and look at all the lights, but now the neighborhood is kinda rundown I guess, and they dont have the contest anymore.

Some of the other traditions,

christmas dinner at about 4 in the afternoon then going to a movie.

other than that, nothing other than the traditional, shop for famly members, and gettin the tree at Papa Noel.

Tpark, we went to Windcrest last year to take a walk down Memory Lane and they still have the contest, but it sure isn't as big a deal as it used to be and the decorations sure aren't as awesome as they used to be, but they give out maps and everything telling you were the winner's houses are etc.

Anybody know of the best neighborhoods to go look at lights nowadays??

Shelly
12-03-2004, 10:34 AM
Tpark, we went to Windcrest last year to take a walk down Memory Lane and they still have the contest, but it sure isn't as big a deal as it used to be and the decorations sure aren't as awesome as they used to be, but they give out maps and everything telling you were the winner's houses are etc.

Anybody know of the best neighborhoods to go look at lights nowadays??

Braun Station has 2 good streets off of Tezel that go all out every year. I know 2 people that live on one of them and it's a requirement to decorate or all the neighbors will hate you. The streets are right by Braun Satation Elementary. You can't miss them. Just look for the glow.

MannyIsGod
12-03-2004, 11:03 AM
Hook, if we have a GTG around christmas time I'll bring you some.

Useruser666
12-03-2004, 11:58 AM
No! Tell grandma I'm giving you sweat pants this year! :cooldevil :lol

Ok, I wasn't reallly thinking when I posted that. I guess I was really saving those all this time. :angel